Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WALTZING INTO APRIL  (Read 24752 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WALTZING INTO APRIL
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2005, 08:56:41 AM »

Another beautiful morning here in the City of Studio.  Blue and sunny already and no wind.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2005, 09:00:07 AM »

AI:  I think they want folks to get overly analytical about voting and seating placement.

They're manipulating the singers and us.  

Of course, that's just my opinion, and opinions are like euphemisms....everyone has one.

:D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 09:14:17 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »

May she rest in peace

I echo the sentiment, but the whacko right will be raising bucks on her corpse for years:

NY TIMES:

List of Schiavo Donors Will Be Sold by Direct-Marketing Firm
By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK and JOHN SCHWARTZ

WASHINGTON, March 28 - The parents of Terri Schiavo have authorized a conservative direct-mailing firm to sell a list of their financial supporters, making it likely that thousands of strangers moved by her plight will receive a steady stream of solicitations from anti-abortion and conservative groups.

"These compassionate pro-lifers donated toward Bob Schindler's legal battle to keep Terri's estranged husband from removing the feeding tube from Terri," says a description of the list on the Web site of the firm, Response Unlimited, which is asking $150 a month for 6,000 names and $500 a month for 4,000 e-mail addresses of people who responded last month to an e-mail plea from Ms. Schiavo's father. "These individuals are passionate about the way they value human life, adamantly oppose euthanasia and are pro-life in every sense of the word!"

Privacy experts said the sale of the list was legal and even predictable, if ghoulish.
Executives of Response Unlimited declined to comment. Gary McCullough, director of the Christian Communication Network and a spokesman for Ms. Schiavo's parents, confirmed that Mr. Schindler had agreed to let Response Unlimited rent out the list as part of a deal for the firm to send an e-mail solicitation raising money on the family's behalf.

Mr. McCullough said he was present when Mr. Schindler agreed to the arrangement in a conversation with Phil Sheldon, the co-founder of a conservative online marketing organization, RightMarch.com, who acted as a broker for Response Unlimited.
Mr. Sheldon - whose father, the Rev. Lou Sheldon, founder of the Traditional Values Coalition, has also sent appeals urging support for Ms. Schiavo - apparently played a dual role as a partner in RightMarch.com, which is working with the anti-abortion activist Randall Terry, and as a broker for Response Unlimited. Mr. Sheldon did not respond to phone calls yesterday.

"I think it sounds a little unusual right now because of the situation where she is in the process of dying," said Richard Viguerie, another major conservative direct-mail operator. "If you came across this information six months or a year from now, I don't think you would give it too much thought."

Lou Sheldon, and Randall Terry, and Richard Viguerie, Oh My!...now these are minions!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2005, 09:06:01 AM »

Ever notice how overexposure ruins whatever pleasure one might have derived from something?

Princess Cruise Lines has absolutely ruined "Beyond the Sea" as a song for me.  It seems I've heard it every night the past three months on virtually any channel I've watched.

Media simply does not seem to embrace the concept of "keep them wanting more" any more.

Less IS more more often than not.

It's a similar situtation to the Steven Newport posts at rec.arts.theatre.musicals.  Not a subject can arise without three or four or more posts in a row from him on each one.  Many folks won't post there any more.  

I think the poor guy has something to say, but I simply can't read ALL that he says.  So he rather shoots off his own foot....just like the media will do with a popular ad.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 09:20:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2005, 09:14:30 AM »

On a related note (RP mentioned commercials), those Travelocity commercials, with the little ceramic Gnome, absolutely crack me up! I tell you, I laugh so hard at those ones...not since the old Mentos commercials back in the 90s have I looked so forward to seeing an advertisment on TV!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2005, 09:18:06 AM »

Happy Birthday to New DR SteveO!!

Waltzes that I love that have already been mentioned:

Carousel Waltz
Could I Leave You?
A Little Priest
My Favorite Things
Try to Remember
Wunderbar

Others that I love that have not yet been mentioned...until now:

By Strauss (I have a recording of Maureen McGovern singing it in a live concert and she's fabulous!)
I Never Do Anything Twice (Millicent Martin's version is my favorite)
Meet Me in St. Louis, Ice and Raving Beauty from the OBC of Meet Me in St. Louis (Raving Beauty was also used in (written for?) Best Foot Forward)
Prima Donna (ALW's The Phantom of the Opera)
Storybook (Linda Eder)
There's Always a Woman (cut from Anyone Can Whistle...the best version is with Kaye Ballard and Sally Mayes, recorded by BK!!)
What's the Use? (Candide)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2005, 09:22:47 AM »

Will anyone else here be taping/watching Live From Lincoln Center's concert version of Sondheim's PASSION?

I feel stupid. I thought that Audra (McDonald) was playing Fosca.  I have been getting really excited thinking about her doing this role.  But she's playing Clara. :(

George

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2005, 09:31:26 AM »

Will anyone else here be taping/watching Live From Lincoln Center's concert version of Sondheim's PASSION?

It's showing tomorrow night on the Seattle PBS station.  I'm ushering for a local play so I'll have to tape it...which I would've anyway.  I can't wait!  I remember when the London production of Passion was announced and there was all the speculation of who was going to play Fosca.  Patti LuPone's name was the one that I heard the most, but Maria Friedman ended up playing the role.  I love Maria Friedman but I love Patti more!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2005, 09:37:54 AM »

"Lost" -- last night's story was mesmerizing, especially Locke's back story about meeting his mother and father.  Sometimes, the survivors' dreams seem more real than their reality.  And, of course, on "Lost", the reality is based on the fantastic.

After last night, I'm totally and wonderfully confused and amazed and wanting more, more, more....  (David Lynch, eat your heart out!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2005, 09:55:45 AM »

I watched last night's Alias, which was a bit better than the last few episodes.  But the fact that after the near-death that Sydney almost suffers, it was laugh-inducing that they'd just pick up an hour later and continue the mission.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2005, 09:56:24 AM »

I may have to take a nice walk today, so pretty is it.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2005, 10:09:49 AM »

elmore, I too am not a fan of Cole Porter's TRUE LOVE.  In fact, it is right up there as one of my least favourite songs...along with ALLEY CAT, PEPE, IT'S A SMALL WORLD, ALWAYS, YESTERDAY, and THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ.

I must say, having bowed out early on AMERICAM IDOL this season, I haven't missed it at all...and I'm finding as I get older, there is really nothing that qualifies as "must-see" TV.  The only two shows I watch regularly are new South Parks when they air and Deadwood.  And If I miss an episode of either of these, it ain't a tragedy either.

These days I'd just rather read a book.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2005, 10:16:54 AM »

ALIAS QUESTION.

They cut off the end here.  Can anyone tell me what happened after Syd dropped Marshall off at his house.  He asked her to come for dinner.  She said no, that she had to meet someone at the train. AND THEN THEY CUT IT OFF.

I can see the end this weekend.  But they switched the programming here right at 10pm. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2005, 10:18:03 AM »

And re: last night's LOST.

I agree, it was one of the best ones yet.  Locke's backstory was so compelling. I loved it!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2005, 10:20:10 AM »

She goes to the train station where she is joined by Michael Vartan.  They dance.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2005, 10:21:19 AM »

[size=8][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, DR ANN![/move][/size][/color]
Have you caught up yet?

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2005, 10:23:26 AM »

Oh and btw, it is almost 60F today!  Yippee, the snow is melting!

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2005, 10:26:49 AM »

She goes to the train station where she is joined by Michael Vartan.  They dance.

Ah okay. But why the train station?

I'm sort of afraid I will get screwed out of the ending every week now.  In Canada Alias is only on ABC on wednesdays.  But if a show is also simultaneously on a Canadian station, then we automatically get the Canadian feed. Well since EYES is on ABC AND a Canadian station at 10pm, I think it's always gonna switch right at 10pm (there used to be WIFESWAP which was not on a Canadian station).  This is not good. :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2005, 10:26:57 AM »

Favorite waltzes:

Well, the "Madam Bovary" waltz is surely a favorite, but there are others from movies I love:

Boys from Brazil (Jerry Goldsmith) -- the main title is a devastatingly beautiful and vigorours waltz.

Murder on the Orient Express (Richard Rodney Bennett) -- simply wonderful music which led the late, highly opinionated composer Bernard Herrmann to complain that, in essence, the film was about a death train and that a waltz was inappropriate.

Anastasia (Alfred Newman) -- the main title is wondrous, as are a couple of other waltz pieces Newman wrote.  It's a gorgeous score.

Desiree (Alfred Newman) -- actually, Newman wrote only the main title, which was repeated a few other times in the film.  But it's a magnificent creation that seems to pit the strings against the brass.  It ends much, much too soon in the film's opening.

Stavisky -- Sondheim wrote several waltz-like themes for this movie and they're wonderful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2005, 10:29:22 AM »

Why not the train station.  If there was a reason it got by me.  Nice location, that's my guess.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2005, 10:30:20 AM »

Btw, if anyone here used to watch Tru Calling.  The season premiere is on tonight (on FOX) for 2hours (8-10pm).

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2005, 10:32:53 AM »

Re: last night's ALIAS

It was sort of creepy being buried alive.

And I agree with DR MattH. I've always like Marshall.  It is so funny and quirky.  And it was pretty funny watching him in action.

Michael

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2005, 10:42:11 AM »

Ah okay. But why the train station?

There are trains in all Contini pictures. It's his signature. (9 reference)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2005, 10:43:08 AM »

Does "Shall We Dance?" count?

No.

It is a polka. Anna even says it is.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2005, 10:43:20 AM »

Happy Birthday ANNE!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2005, 10:43:33 AM »

Sneaking in these from work.
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2005, 10:46:36 AM »

I haven't watched "Lost," yet...but it doesn't bother me that it's being discussed.  No, it really doesn't.  Talk about it all you want!  I don't mind! ;)

Another waltz song that I LOVE is "Human Again" written for and originally cut from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" (and reinserted into the recent re-release).  I have the 4-CD set called "The Music Behind the Magic" with the original demo of the song...it's about nine minutes long!

Ben

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2005, 10:51:58 AM »

I will be seeing Sweet Charity with Charlotte D'Amboise on April 14th.  That's 3 days after the first performance on April 11th. I hope that TDF gets another block of tickets for after April 18th when Miss Applegate takes over. I would like to see it twice to see both performers and to see what the changes are (if any) and how they work.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 10:52:24 AM by Ben »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2005, 10:53:01 AM »

Of non-orchestral tunes, Bob Dylan's "To Ramona" is a nice waltz.
Kay Starr's "Rock and Roll Waltz" not so nice.

Also, Penny O, there ain't no Mrs. Rodzinski. Marryin' Sam hasn't visited the Gal and me yet!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2005, 10:56:45 AM »

Another waltz song that I LOVE is "Human Again" written for and originally cut from Disney's "Beauty and the

I wonder if it is the same version they use in the Broadway stage play.  It is a very beautiful song....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up