Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: OUT ON A LIMB  (Read 21386 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:OUT ON A LIMB
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2005, 10:31:26 AM »

Excellent A Chorus Line casts.  Wouldn't you pay to see some of these?

SOP!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2005, 10:39:30 AM »

From http://www.ochef.com/343.htm

Various cuts of meat take different amounts of time to cook. In an ideal world, everyone would have a thermometer — either an instant-read thermometer or a meat thermometer that stays in the roast the whole time it’s cooking. Then you would know that the roast is done when the temperature in the center of the roast reaches 120°F to 125°F, (49°C to 52°C) for rare, 130°F to 140°F (55°C to 60°C) for medium rare, 145°F to 150°F (63°C to 66°C) for medium, and 155°F to 165°F (68°C to 74°C) for well done (Note: 120° is a pretty rare roast).

Without a meat thermometer, you’re taking a bit of a gamble. The size and shape of the meat, the amount of fat and bone, how the meat was aged and other factors affect how long it should cook. In fact, more and more cookbook authors have given up the practice of putting a roasting chart in their books..

Cooking at a constant oven temperature of 300°F (160°C), a 5- to 8-lb standing rib roast will take 17-19 minutes per pound for rare, 20-22 for medium rare, 23-25 minutes for medium, and 27-30 minutes for well done. A sirloin roast of 8- to 12-lbs will take 16-20 minutes for rare, 20-22 for medium rare, 23-25 for medium, and 26-30 for well done. A boneless top round, by contrast, will take 28-30 minutes for rare, 30-33 for medium rare, 34-38 for medium, and 40-45 for well done.

If you roast at 325°F (160°C), subtract 2 minutes or so per pound. If the roast is refrigerated just before going into the oven, add 2 or 3 minutes per pound. We won’t even attempt to suggest times for the initial-hot-oven cooking method.

After the roast comes out of the oven, let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes, which allows the juices to become more evenly distributed within the meat and makes it easier to carve. The temperature of the roast will rise 5° to 10° after you take it from the oven, so if you are using a thermometer, you should take it out a bit before it reaches the desired temperature.

You thought this was going to be a simple answer, didn’t you? 
[/size]
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2005, 10:41:06 AM »

Did anyone catch the DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES spoof on the TVLand Awards? it was hilarious! They re-cast the leads with Joyce DeWitt, Marion Ross, Barbara Eden, Charo, and other old-time TV people!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2005, 10:41:22 AM »

DR Jennifer - If the place you bought the roast has an actual butcher in house, I'd just call and ask.  A lot of times if I'm buying a new cut of meat to try, I will go ahead and ask the man or woman behind the counter for cooking tips.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2005, 10:42:43 AM »

Wow, those DVDs shipped fast, BK! I am still making my list of what ones to get! I hope you didn't buy up the remaining stock!!

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2005, 10:43:54 AM »

I see Sam J. Jones has been added to the list of people for the Ray Court's show...he would be interesting to meet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2005, 10:50:22 AM »

Then you'd better just hie yourself to the Ray Courts show.  Sam has been there before and seems like a nice fellow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2005, 10:51:33 AM »

Oh, and I finally found out I won't be doing the UCLA signing.  I didn't really want to, because I didn't really enjoy sitting there for eight hours a day for two days.  I may try and sign at someone else's booth if anyone wants me to.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2005, 10:53:04 AM »

DR Jennifer - Finally... If you're going more for a "pot roast" type deal - a lot of gravy/sauce/drippings and vegetables - then a little bit of over-cooking won't really hurt since you'll have the gravy/sauce/drippings to moisten things back up.  However, if you're going more for the London Broil type roast, well...  Go to the store, and spend the $10 on a thermometer.

And if you have a cooking shop in the area - like Williams-Sonoma, etc. - give them call.

Myself, I do use a thermometer, but I've also become good at using the "touch and press" test with certain cuts of meat to determine how well-done it is.  The more you cook, the more you know.

:)

Oh, and as for searing...  In a heavy(!!) skillet, heat about two tablespoons (or less if your roast has a good coating of fat on it) of oil until near smoking.  Place the roast in the pan, and leave it there for at least two minute a side - usually more.  When it is time to be turned, the roast should "release" itself - you do not want to end up tearing the roast.  A nice brown color and crust is what you want.  And, yes, it does get quite smoky, so if you have alarm issues, you can just skip it.  Or also do it in the oven if you have a heavy roasting pan.  But if you can sear on the stovetop, and your pan is oven safe, then you can just go ahead and place the roast and the pan in the oven after searing.

Or will be you be braising?  -Which is really how a "pot roast" is "roasted" due to the addition of liquid.

Hope this didn't confuse you.  It almost confused me.

Stream of consciousness cooking lessons with Jose!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2005, 10:54:09 AM »

Wow - I love all the casts so far, but I would really LOVE to see and hear Jane Withers doing Dance:Ten Looks:Three! Dressed of course as Josephine the Plumber!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2005, 10:54:52 AM »

I see Sam J. Jones has been added to the list of people for the Ray Court's show...he would be interesting to meet.

;D

What was the movie he did where he was a chauffeur? "My Chaffeur"?

Whatever...

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2005, 10:55:35 AM »

Euphemisms, euphemisms, euphemisms!  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2005, 10:55:51 AM »

DRJOSE this is the best DAY we have had all year, with storms predicted for tomorrow.

I will be interested in your impressions of Clowes Hall.  It is one of my favorite venues.  And remember that among others who have graced that stage are:  Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Bobby Rydell, Ann-Margret, Faye Dunaway, Theodore Bikel, and many others.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2005, 10:56:30 AM »

I remember the ad campaign for My Chaufeur.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2005, 11:02:26 AM »

I only saw Sam J. Jones in FLASH GORDON and that TV series CODE RED...and, of course, that photo layout he did for a certain "women's" magazine....images that have stayed with me throughout the years!  ::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2005, 11:05:47 AM »

I only saw Sam J. Jones in FLASH GORDON and that TV series CODE RED...and, of course, that photo layout he did for a certain "women's" magazine....images that have stayed with me throughout the years!  ::)

Redbook?  Good Housekeeping?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2005, 11:06:09 AM »

I got a note today that my interviewee Sara Shane was hit by a car!! Fortunately she seems to be recovering, but will be out of commission for while.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2005, 11:09:00 AM »

DRJOSE this is the best DAY we have had all year, with storms predicted for tomorrow.

I will be interested in your impressions of Clowes Hall.  It is one of my favorite venues.  And remember that among others who have graced that stage are:  Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Bobby Rydell, Ann-Margret, Faye Dunaway, Theodore Bikel, and many others.

Well, I guess I should get out of this hotel room soon then..

Actually, I'll be heading in early before the sound check, so that should give me about an hour to walk around and explore for a bit.

-Oh, and very cool about how the streets are arranged, at least the numbered ones.  I found out last night that since I'm at 86th Street, I'm basically 8.6 miles from downtown, and that Meridian is the east/west divide.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2005, 11:09:26 AM »

OMG - poor Sara!  After all those years of battling doctors over medicines!  :-\  I hope she is allright.

DR JMK (I want the Cd's, too) no, I didn't read about Betsy Palmer.  I will have to check that out.  She has always been a favorite of mine.  And DRMBARNUM she does a great job in QUEEN BEE!

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week:   :o

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2005, 11:11:55 AM »

Oh, I forgot to tell you JRand, that I got QUEEN BEE in the mail this weekend! So soon I will have that Lucy Marlow film festival...I probably should throw in A STAR IS BORN, also, huh.

You know, for the life of me I cannot recall Lucy Marlow being in A STAR IS BORN!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2005, 11:16:47 AM »

I might be thinking of Mr Jones and his Rolls Royce in a pose that is NOT from a film.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2005, 11:18:24 AM »

LOL, she plays Lola Lavery the young starlet who comes to the big show at the beginning of the movie with "diamonds in her hair" and is supposed to meet Norman there.  She is not directed very well, and I was surprised to see her do such a nice job in QUEEN BEE.  But she looks beautiful in ASIB.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2005, 11:21:25 AM »

What does it mean if someone is requesting my profile at Classmates.com?  I don't think I have a profile at Classmates.com.  Methinks this is some sort of sales gimmick to get me to "Go Gold," whatever the hell that means.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2005, 11:22:12 AM »

DR SWW, I think you are right, it is The McGuire Sisters.
Dear DR JRand54: For some reason you continually have me confused with DR William F. Orr.  I must protest, because you are doing DR William F. Orr a disservice.  I am nowhere near as smart as he, nor am I as handsome/cute/woofy.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 11:26:48 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2005, 11:22:26 AM »

Does Allison have baby pumpkins attached to her chest?   :o
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2005, 11:25:00 AM »

T.O.T.D.

You mean, worse than the film?

BK, did I tell you that I find your latest book compelling?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2005, 11:27:20 AM »

Time to run...

Laters..
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2005, 11:29:38 AM »

Sorry DR SWW and DR WFO....sometimes when I commentating I don't go back to the original page.  

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2005, 11:30:23 AM »

Those aren't baby pumpkins, that is for sure! :o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2005, 11:30:44 AM »

I don't think so, DRJMK - I think it was a fashion of the time....such poses fall in and out of favor - as such I don't think she was playing the titular character.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up