Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: VAMPING  (Read 24940 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:VAMPING
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2006, 06:43:51 PM »

I expect they will be very tired when they return.  Are they downsizing?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: March 04, 2006, 06:46:19 PM »

My choices:

Best Picture - CAPOTE
Best Actor - Philip Seymour Hoffman
Best Actress – Felicity Huffman (runner up-Judy Dench)
Best Supporting Actor - Paul Giamatti
Best Supporting Actress – from those I’ve seen,
                                          Michelle Williams or Katherine  Keener.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2006, 07:03:13 PM »

Score one for you, DR elmore.

-The gloves are off.

;D

DR Jose, I like you too much to duel.  I'm much older and much meaner!  Let's pick on DR MBarnum.

I was going to watch CONVICTION again, but I just decided I didn't care about it enough to do that.  Earlier today, I caught the end of SOAPDISH on HBO.  Maybe I'll dig it out and watch it.  Or something else.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2006, 07:05:47 PM »

Cillaliz, I also just returned from seeing TRANSAMERICA.....what a fun movie, and some fantastic performances! I truly enjoyed this movie!

So that is 3 Oscar nominated films to go...now I will fix some dinner and sit down to CRASH, which I rented this afternoon...I had no idea that Brendan Frasier was in it!

I wish I had time to see CAPOTE and WALK THE LINE before the Oscars tomorrow night...but I have to drive up to Sherwood tomorrow for my grandnephews first birthday...and Uncle Mike must not miss that!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #184 on: March 04, 2006, 07:19:34 PM »

Just watched the video of LOST IN YONKERS - oh m'gosh. I think I'd like to be Irene Worth when I grow up... Neil Simon just cranks 'em out, doesn't he... the play on which his screenplay is based won the Pulitzer, i believe. Talk about chiaro-scuro. Wow. And Mercedes Ruehl (how the heck do you spell her name???) is one o' the great under appreciated actresses. Remember her in BIG? Boy. Mercedes Ruehl and Joan Cusack.
PennyO

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: March 04, 2006, 07:19:59 PM »

OK, not to be picky, but this was the description from a story about the Independent Spirit Awards

“Brokeback Mountain” is the story of two sheepherders who carry on a torrid gay love affair that they conceal from their families for years.

It would be the first explicit gay theme film to win the best-picture Oscar.

“Mostly ’Brokeback Mountain’ is about sheep,” said one of the film’s producers, Diana Ossana.

“So we want to thank our shepherd, Ang Lee,” said the film’s other producer, James Schamus.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #186 on: March 04, 2006, 07:21:13 PM »

Well, I probably misspoke - Ms. Ruehl won the Tony for LOST IN YONKERS, as did Ms. Worth. Still, most folk don't even know who she is I'll bet...
PennyO

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2006, 07:24:48 PM »

I had a boyfriend in college who looks just like Kevin Zegers (Toby in Transamerica)  I haven't seen him in a million years, I'm sure he doesn't look like that anymore. LOL

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: March 04, 2006, 07:30:12 PM »

This is Kevin Zegers looking like my ex-boyfriend

Cillaliz

« Reply #189 on: March 04, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »

LOL However, he was born right about the time we broke up!

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2006, 07:32:19 PM »

Cillaliz, I also just returned from seeing TRANSAMERICA.....what a fun movie, and some fantastic performances! I truly enjoyed this movie!

So that is 3 Oscar nominated films to go...now I will fix some dinner and sit down to CRASH, which I rented this afternoon...I had no idea that Brendan Frasier was in it!

I wish I had time to see CAPOTE and WALK THE LINE before the Oscars tomorrow night...but I have to drive up to Sherwood tomorrow for my grandnephews first birthday...and Uncle Mike must not miss that!

Well, you can rent WALK THE LINE, it came out last Tuesday, but doesn't sound like you'd have time to see it

Cillaliz

« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2006, 07:43:10 PM »

I'm watching the replay of the Independent Spirit Awards. I didn't realize how many of the Oscar Nominees this year are independents

Cillaliz

« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2006, 07:44:10 PM »

I'm on a mini frenzy.... is anybody out there??? I see FJL and JRand

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2006, 07:54:56 PM »

Hi DR CILLA LIZ....I am waiting for MAD Tv to come on.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2006, 07:55:11 PM »

HAPPITY BIRTHDAY to DR PANNI!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2006, 07:55:39 PM »

Big long busy day at WOW today....made a couple hundred dollars in commission, so life goes on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2006, 07:56:48 PM »

Off to MAD tv land.

DRJOSE thanks for your thoughts on SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.  I am sad that I have missed it - or dismissed it - all these years.

MR BK is off to watch a production of SWEENEY TODD, so I decided to watch my video of SWEENEY TODD.  Got to the intermission....more to follow!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2006, 07:56:57 PM »

Everyone have a great evening!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2006, 07:57:41 PM »

And actually of course, if I had an Oscar ballot, I would just write in Carroll Baker's name in both actress categories each year....she needs to win one very soon.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2006, 08:15:29 PM »

OH!  Just received this pic from a friend of mine.  It's from the Las Vegas production of Hairspray.  I believe that's Mr. Kevin Spirtas as Corny Collins in the middle.  -And my friend, Nick, in the red and pink plaid on the left.

Nice picture... That looks like a fun show.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2006, 08:18:47 PM »

YES!  All I could remember were the last 4 lines!

Did H.R. Pufnstuf start as a bit on the Banana Splits?  I was in their fan club and found the fan club manual last year. I know I watched H.R. Pufnstuf. Maybe it was just on after the Banana Splits....

Wasn't HR PufnStuf part of the Kroft and Seals hour on Saturdays??

I remember the less than memorable show, Electra Woman... and she moved on to be a serial killer on days besides being possessed by Satan!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2006, 08:20:23 PM »

Good evening!

I didn't have much chance to flip through the DVD catalog. I was busy setting up the laptop tomorrow so I can watch the Oscars and comment without leaving the room. Should be fun.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #202 on: March 04, 2006, 08:20:36 PM »

Cillaliz - Hope I didn't seem rude at 10:44 Eastern, 7:44 Pacific time.  I'm pretty sure I wasn't at the computer then???????  It's weird, sometimes it seems like my name is still up as being on the site when I'm not actually on the site.

Or did I leave Internet Explorer open and walk away?

And with this much to say, why am I not spreading this out over several posts?

Many mysteries.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: March 04, 2006, 08:22:38 PM »

Well, I probably misspoke - Ms. Ruehl won the Tony for LOST IN YONKERS, as did Ms. Worth. Still, most folk don't even know who she is I'll bet...

She also won the Oscar for THE FISHER KING. Miss Ruehl, that is.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #204 on: March 04, 2006, 08:23:18 PM »

I will do my best to pop in from time to time tomorrow evening. I have to work and that comes first.... However, if it is quiet, I can sneak in...

However here are my picks in the main categories

Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon - Walk the Line
Best supporting actor: George Clooney - Syriana
Best supporting actress: Frances McDormand - North Country
Best Director - Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain
Best Picture - Brokeback Mountain

I have not decided the others quite yet....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #205 on: March 04, 2006, 08:24:20 PM »

I expect they will be very tired when they return.  Are they downsizing?

Downsizing?  I'm not sure.

When they bought this house, they very much up-sized.  And all four sons were out of college and out of the house by then, so...

However, I do suspect they are looking for something a little smaller, and a bit more manageable.  Right now, there are three vacant bedrooms, and three(!) full baths that are not in active use.  And I believe my Mom has started thinking "smaller" too in regards to her need for furniture and other home decor.  Oh, and I believe my father is actually seriously thinking of retiring.  Finally.  I'm not sure if my Mom is considering giving up her job just yet.

But the big factor are the property taxes.  They got hit big this year.  Their house was valued at just over $500,000 last year.  This year, the tally came to $784,000!  They were happy with the increased assessment, but the accompanying property tax increase was not welcome.  Most of the property assessments in Fairfax County experienced the same seemingly exponential increase.

They're actually looking at some places in suburban Maryland - a good 45 minutes out from DC proper - which seems a bit too far out to me (in many ways).  I think they're going to end up staying in Virginia if they can find an agreeable area.  I heard Manassas mentioned.  And with the grandchildren nearby...  We'll see.

I actually suggested they look down in Richmond, since the property values down there are quite the bargain compared to Northern Virginia.  They could actually buy a nice place in The Fan, and a nice-sized house on the northside or southside of town for what they'll most likely get for this house.  :)

But I also think a two bedroom townhouse would suit their needs just fine right now.  Guess we'll find out soon enough.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 08:26:14 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #206 on: March 04, 2006, 08:24:32 PM »

Oh, it turns out Dear Friend Milla did indeed win a Backstage Bistro Award.  The list of winners finally showed up on the internet, so I was able to congratulate her accordingly when she came over for a visit tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: March 04, 2006, 08:29:58 PM »

I spent three dreary hours in DOGVILLE. I had no idea what this film was about. Just remember reading about it when it first came out as far as being unique.

Well, it's done a la OUR TOWN with minimal sets, all in a studio drawn town. Very allegorical and maddening to watch someone persecuted for almost three hours and take it nobly. I kept thinking I'd just delete it and be done with it, but I was curious if there would EVER be any retribution for the indignities she suffered. I found out, but it was a long, wearying journey to that end point.

Wonderful cast, though: Nicole Kidman, Paul Bettany, Lauren Bacall, Blair Brown, James Caan, Zeljko Ivanek, among others. Too bad they couldn't have been used in something more worthwhile.

Ben

« Reply #208 on: March 04, 2006, 08:30:53 PM »

Happy Birthday to Panni!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2006, 08:31:13 PM »

Nice picture... That looks like a fun show.

It is a fun show.

And there's another "Days" alum in the Vegas Hairspray, Austin Miller - he's playing the heart-throb, love interest, Link Larkin.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up