Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: VAMPING  (Read 24407 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
VAMPING
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:17:31 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've vamped whilst reading the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the vamping cows come home.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 12:07:07 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:VAMPING
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 12:19:02 AM »

And the word of the day is: FIRMAMENT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 12:19:25 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to former dear reader Panni.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 03:19:23 AM »

Happy Birthday, Dear Panni, if you are still around.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 04:43:58 AM »

Good morning, all!  Another night of very bizarre dreams, the strangest leaving me with the question of why Stephen Cole, librettist of the musical NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, is visiting me at my family's house in Ohio.  But when it was time to return to New York with my father (!) and DR Rodzinski (what happened to Mr Cole?), it was impossible because my brothers hadn't repaired my car.  This is clearly the result of my turning DR Rodzinski down for dinner last night, but I fear there's another cycle of strange dreams returning.  No Wonderland material here, alas.

I'm off to Toyland this morning.  I need to begin libretto adjustments and edit a few numbers.

TOD:  The ones I want to win never do, so I'm going to sit back and watch the parade.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 05:57:22 AM »

Hello all!   Yesterday was a LONG day. I worked all day - in part planning a trip to SF for a seminar the last week in May....Will you be around DR RON?  

And then I rented a carpet cleaner for a whopping $19 and cleaned the carpets in the old house.   This morning the handyman will work in the basement, I'll clean the bathroom and kitchen - then all I have to do is clean the basement and I will be TOTALLY DONE!!!!!  Hoo and Ray!    I gave myself a month and today is day 31, since I got the house and day 21 since I moved in, so I'm actually on schedule, it just seems like it's take a lot longer.

I'm off to meet the handy man....laters

Cillaliz

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 06:00:40 AM »

Well. totally done with that house, I still have Mucho to do in this one, but there's no hurry for that.

BTW_ the plumber sent his bill and charged me for installing something I installed.  He promised to cut me slack on the bill and didn't. He will be receiving a phone call and a strongly worded letter and the bill needs to be fixed.  And his company will never be allowed in my house again.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 06:01:04 AM »

I"m Off to Meet the Handy Man - tht is the title of my new musical!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 06:02:23 AM »

Well. totally done with that house, I still have Mucho to do in this one, but there's no hurry for that.

BTW_ the plumber sent his bill and charged me for installing something I installed.  He promised to cut me slack on the bill and didn't. He will be receiving a phone call and a strongly worded letter and the bill needs to be fixed.  And his company will never be allowed in my house again.  

Comic Plumber (in thinking cloud): Hehehehe, she'll never notice if I add this to the bill.   Hehehehehe......   8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 06:04:17 AM »

Thanks for the SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE post, DR ELMORE.  I don't know much about the history of the show, mostly what I just read in HOW SONDHEIM FOUND HIS SOUND, but I have ordered the script and CD so maybe there will be some more information there.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 06:05:30 AM »

Going to work in a bit....

If I worked at Monumental Pictures, I could be a shimmering glimmering star in the cinema firmament....it says so....right there.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 06:14:05 AM »

Hmmm.....well.....here are my hopes....but I expect to see them dashed on the rocks, with a twist.

Actor - David Straitharn OR Joaquin Phoenix
Actress - Dench
Picture - Good Night and Good Luck
S Actor - Matt Dillon
S Actress - Rachel Weisz
Director - Clooney
Original Screenplay - Good Night and Good Luck
Adapted Screenplay - Brokeback Mountain

And Hollywood being the left wing, bleeding heart, pinko Commie town it is, I may get a couple of my wishes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 06:20:21 AM »

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 06:28:56 AM »

Having seen almost none of the films in contention this year, I really have no predictions about the Oscars.  But Brokeback Mountain seems to be a front-running fav with most people and if we are to believe the barometer of other award shows.

Speaking of Brokeback, I saw a fun motel sign on Ventura Blvd.  when I was in LA last week.  It said:

"They ain't cowboys; they're sheepherders."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 06:36:27 AM »

yes, DR CP - it will be interesting to see which way the voters swing.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 06:37:46 AM »

Well, I haven't seen any of the nominated films this year. My sister Rikki has been picking them off, one by one, and only has CRASH left to see - which i think she's gonna try to find today. gotta admire her. She also reads steadily, so she can intelligently discuss most of the books on Best Seller lists with other readers - or at lease, know what the heck they're talking about. I'm still watching TOP HAT and HARVEY  for the fiftieth time. I'm still reading obscure novels of dead authors or the unknown plays of unknown playwrights. Sometimes a decade-old Grisham novel... although within the last year I did read The Da  Vinci Code and A Million Little Pieces. I liked those a lot.
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 06:38:25 AM »

DR CP - now that you are "in the area" - you and the DW might think about a trip up to Greencastle, home of DePauw University and close to many covered bridges....stay a couple of nights at the Walden Inn and see a show at the Putnam County Playhouse....I am directing DEATH BY CHOCOLATE in July....

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 06:40:22 AM »

I do think the CAPOTE guy will win best actor - too early and too little caffeine to dredge his name up yet... seems it's "his turn" and he IS a wonderful actor, admired by his colleagues for his long and steady stream of good character work.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 06:40:54 AM »

Jeez, what's his name??? Oy. is it AGE that does this? I feel like I've lost my mind...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 06:41:44 AM »

Phillip Seymour Hoffman!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 06:42:05 AM »

Or something like that...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 06:43:02 AM »

JRand, DEATH BY CHOCOLATE!!! Sounds so fun.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 06:46:02 AM »

I'm up early because I promised a friend I'd help her with her yard sale today - didn't know until LAST NIGHT she had advertised it for 8 AM!! She's moving after 23 years. She works full time (nurse) on a research project, and is also On Call 4 nights a week... she has a 45 day escrow, and has to be outa there by March 30. I said I would help out. But, 8 Ayem?!?!?

Anyhow, that's why I'm up at 6, sucking caffeine...
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2006, 07:02:23 AM »

JRand, DEATH BY CHOCOLATE!!! Sounds so fun.

Fingers X'd - it will be DR PENNYO.

Have fun at the yard sale....you will meet many interesting people, I am sure.  AND there will be a lot of them there at 8 am (and before) looking for stuff!   8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2006, 07:16:34 AM »

Off to work, everyone have a great Saturday!  The weather here is cool - the sun is shining...and the sky is beautiful!

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2006, 07:38:04 AM »

Saturday greetings!  My much-needed 3-day weekend started with a wonderful concert last night at Miami University.  The featured artists were Dave Brubeck (age 85!) and his quartet.  In the first half they performed with the Miami University Jazz Ensemble, concluding with Brubeck hits "Blue Rondo a la Turk" and "Take Five."  For the second half, those groups were joined by the Miami University Symphony Orchestra and combined choral groups, numbering almost 300.  They did selections from some of Brubeck's sacred compositions and his settings of 2 Langston Hughes poems.

Today, I'm puttering at home and tomorrow we'll see the touring Thoroughly Modern Millie in our Dayton Broadway series.

TOD - I will be here, of course, for the HHW Oscar bash, but have seen none of the Best Picture nominees and only a smattering of nominees in other categories.  There's a lot of buzz in the Cincinnati media over native son George Clooney's nominations.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2006, 07:42:35 AM »

Good morning!

A gorgeous day here and even expecting a slight warming trend today with temps getting near 60. Nice.

Don't know about a walk yet or not. I have a lot of things I want to do this afternoon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2006, 07:43:56 AM »

Yeah, if you advertise a 9 am yard sale, people are going to show up at 8 anyway. The Early Yard Sale Cult.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2006, 07:44:25 AM »

I'm up, I'm up... I think...

I seem to have a work hangover today.  Yesterday was so intense, I feel kind of zonked today.  But for all the madness, I can't wait for Monday.

This weekend, I have to get out the invites to my sister's bachelorette party, do my laundry (desperate situation, esp. considering most of my clothes don't fit me anymore, so the "bottom of the barrel" clothes are really not cool), do my taxes, and maybe go in to work for a couple hours just to get organized and re-arrange Nikole's (the former assistant) desk.  I didn't touch it on Friday because I didn't want to be a usurper and make her feel resentful; but I want to be ready for next week and I just don't feel ready at this point.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2006, 07:45:57 AM »

I have seen four of the five Best Picture nominees (have not seen MUNICH), and I could live with BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK, or CAPOTE as Best Picture.

News speculations have BROKEBACK as the favorite with CRASH as the dark horse and one most able to pull off an upset. I don't think it's nearly as good as the other three, but being an LA picture, it might resonate more with Academy voters than BROKEBACK does.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up