Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS MODERN WORLD  (Read 19938 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THIS MODERN WORLD
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2004, 03:26:36 PM »

I'm back from having lunch with DD and doing some errands.  Sorry to hear about TCB's computer problems!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2004, 03:31:12 PM »

He reaches here and there and makes little motions with his hands, but there's absolutely nothing in them.  

That's how I always do the dishes!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2004, 03:34:36 PM »

After watching and enjoying the melancholy, poignant THE HANGING GARDEN, I popped in THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE.

The animation was beautifully done, very very sharp DVD brought out the brownish, orangy palette. The story whimsical and overly eccentric, I thought. Certainly different and a unique animated experience, but really not my cup of tea. Perhaps had I seen it with an audience I might have appreciated it more. Sitting alone watching the weirdly composed images and story whiz along made me a bit antsy for it to get on with it. Seemed about 10 minutes too long to me (the dog barking at passing trains got old after awhile).

I, too, recently watched this DVD.  What struck me was the idea that it was a French, or French-Canadian, work but with a rather Francophobic slant.

The clincher was the triplets' engorgement of frogs -- some still alive, for some inexplicable reason.  One of the triplets constantly licked at the legs of the frogs with a cannibalistic glee.

The features of the male characters seemed stereotypically overt (the DeGaulle-like nose, limpid eyes, or short, squat men with pencil moustaches and berets).

And the song.  Fun the first time.  Not bad the next couple of times.  And then I was tired of it....very tired of it.

It's extremely well-done, but takes effort to fully appreciate.   I much prefer "Fantastic Planet" as an imaginative animated feature.  

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2004, 03:52:58 PM »

"Francophobic". I doubt it.. A truly healthy society can make fun of itself. A great movie.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2004, 04:20:04 PM »

Dr RLP,

I believe DR Tomowoz is right; TRIPLETS -- French/French!! Part of it was done in my hometown! -- is "auto-dérision", self-mockery!
It's full of clichés; the "frog" thing comes from the Brits  -- some of them!! -- who call the French, frog-eaters, and the caricatures are common place in the animation world...

Well, the song is ALSO part of the style of the story: those singers had, obviously, ONLY one hit!

It's all about losers but losers with a "vengeance"....

Definitely NOT a commercial endeavour and it's nice to see that it got such an international recognition!

Was not the song nominated for an Award?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 04:28:58 PM by François de Paris »

Danise

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2004, 04:21:31 PM »

Evening all!

What storm we had last night!  I barely made it home from work before it broke.  Lightning, thunder and high wind.  I heard from a lady at work that they had many, many trees down near by where she lives.  A whole privacy fence was knocked down as well.  Bear, my hero, was a quaking, shivering mass that lay at my feet.  

I scolded him asking who is protecting whom?    Poor baby.  I guess even dogs have their fears.

He just turned 8 recently and I find that so hard to believe.  Where has the time gone?  

I’ve come up with two ideas for the T-shirt design but I’m not sure I can draw them.  I’m afraid I failed at Stick Figures 101.    I’m hoping to hook up with someone who can draw and maybe we can use my idea and their drawing skills.  I already had an offer from one of the guys at work.  We’re going to meet for lunch next week and talk it over.

We’ve worked on a project before.  I helped him with a cover for his book about a year or so ago.  He has yet to publish it but is working on it.  If/when it is published, I’ll have to show it to you.  That time it was his idea but I put it together for him on the computer.

I love the pictures of the squirrels and birds.  

Someone at work was asking me how to get rid (?!) of the lizards around her house!  I was in shock. I can’t imagine not seeing my baby dragons about.   I told her that the lizards eat the bugs and she should be grateful to have them around.  I think I convinced her to leave them alone.  

I would gladly go and get them from her house and bring them here if she really didn’t want them.  I can’t tell you how many of them I have caught in Down Town Tampa and brought home.  I make city lizards into country lizards.  Just as long as they don’t turn into lounge lizards, I think we’re doing ok.  The minute I see one in a smoking jacket with a mike in hand singing Englebert songs, I’ll know we’ve got big time trouble.   :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

François de Paris

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2004, 04:45:18 PM »

Sylvain Chomet
Belleville Rendez-Vous
Interviewed by Saxon Bullock -- bbc.co.uk

Animated films rarely come as quirky and stylish as "Belleville Rendez-Vous" the wonderfully bizarre tale of club-footed Portuguese old lady Madame Souza, and her quest to rescue her Tour De France-obsessed grandson from the Mafia. Already surfing on a wave of huge acclaim, it's the feature film debut of 40-year-old French animator Sylvain Chomet.

What was the main objective in making "Belleville Rendez-Vous"?

I wanted to do things in animation that hadn't been done before. It's a very rigid medium in what people think it should be. It's always got to be for kids. It should bring good feelings, have bad guys and good guys, and end with a moral. But this means there are lots of subjects and things you can't show, like someone smoking a cigarette for example. With "Belleville", the aim was to go against that, and do something that wasn't aimed at kids. It's great that kids can enjoy the film, but it freed us up to go in directions that the animated movie hasn't gone in before.

Why did you choose the Tour De France as the film's subject?

I've always liked the movement of cycling. It's the circular motion of the bicycle, and the shape of the cyclists themselves - especially back in the days when they'd be incredibly spindly with amazingly overdeveloped leg muscles. They're fascinating characters: very nice, timid and shy people. But they often don't look like they're enjoying the race. I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist looking happy, even when they've won. I've also always thought it was strange that the Tour De France starts and ends at the same point. It's like they're suffering all this hardship, but not actually getting anywhere as a result.

There's a surprising amount of digital animation in the film. What problems did it help you to solve?

It was mainly to get rid of all the boring stuff. Objects, for example, always take a very long time to animate because they don't change as they move. We used CGI for the cars, the bicycles, the boats and the trains, and it meant the animators had more time for enjoyable elements like the character acting.

How did you go about developing the characters?

It doesn't come from a drawing. What I get in my mind is an idea of their movement, and I just use the graphics to enhance this. Like with Madame Souza: she's a very small, fragile character, but because she has to drag around this enormous club foot, she can also be quite violent and stubborn. It's one of the things I love about animation: to be able to have two concepts of a character. To see one thing, but feel something else.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2004, 05:07:14 PM »

... I’m hoping to hook up with someone ...

In today's world of evolving language I would avoid using "to hook up" as a verb (unless you are really looking for a good time!).

der Brucer (who used to think hooking up was something you did with a trailer, and now its something you do with trailer-trash)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2004, 05:42:15 PM »

Nice squirrels, DerBrucer. I sure wish you could get a picture of your birds!

Here's a Blue Jay waiting his turn at the feeder:

der Brucer (wishing the Jays - as in Blue, not DR) would let me get closer)

François de Paris

« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2004, 06:04:09 PM »

CD player:

Radio broadcast of CANDIDE with Kristin C. and La Lupone, (thanks to a DR!.)

COOK/SONDHEIM (thanks to another DR!.)

Ukulele Ike Sings Again...........thanks to me!!

Gosh! Where's everybody today?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2004, 06:17:45 PM »

DR DerBrucer -- he's beautiful. We don't have bluejays out here, so it is a treat to see one!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2004, 06:20:43 PM »

I think it's incredible that a blue jay is waiting for smaller birds.

My experience with jays is that they demand territoriality wherever they go, chasing off all other varieties.

On a second look, though, it doesn't appear there are any other birds in the picture.  Is there, perhaps, a squirrel inside one of the feeders?

My eyes!  My eyes!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 06:22:06 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2004, 06:25:22 PM »

I think it's incredible that a blue jay is waiting for smaller birds.

My experience with jays is that they demand territoriality wherever they go, chasing off all other varieties.

On a second look, though, it doesn't appear there are any other birds in the picture.  Is there, perhaps, a squirrel inside one of the feeders?

My eyes!  My eyes!

No, it's my lousy picture. The tree on the right has a Woodpecker seed bar (the Jay's favorite) with a squirrel hanging on to it.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2004, 06:28:45 PM »

It seems events awaken the poet in all of us:

(from a post on a political board):

Original:

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?

Jack Ryan Version:

To run, or not to run:  that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and whips of public sex,
Or to take arms against gays and lesbians,
And by opposing end my political career?

Michael

« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2004, 07:14:32 PM »

Dale Wasserman is another writer who wrote a dramatic version of Man of La Mancha and adapted it into a musical. He wrote a book about it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2004, 07:15:32 PM »

Colm Feore studied and acted in Montreal many moons. I worked a theater where he did the play Veronica's Room. He was good the play was not.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2004, 07:16:10 PM »

DVD Player: The restored The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Never stop dreaming.

François de Paris

« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2004, 07:36:02 PM »

DVD Player: The restored The Good The Bad and The Ugly

You mean
The Restored The Good The Bad and The Ugly?

Never saw that! ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2004, 07:36:35 PM »

TRIPLETS -- ...Was not the song nominated for an Award?
Yes, it was.  And it was the only nominated song this year that had a beat and you could dance to it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2004, 07:41:38 PM »

My experience with jays is that they demand territoriality wherever they go, chasing off all other varieties

Just like my mother-in-law!!

... and we used to call her Jay Fonda!!

(i don't have one! :D)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 07:42:59 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2004, 07:44:30 PM »

Yes, it was.  And it was the only nominated song this year that had a beat and you could dance to it.

That's why it did not win!! ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2004, 07:48:18 PM »

BK!

We're keeping the home flies buzzing!

François de Paris

« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2004, 07:55:19 PM »

Oh,

Excuse me if this has been "said" here before, but I've just realized that RATS is STAR backwards!

Ok... I know.... I need a life!.....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2004, 08:00:39 PM »

...I feel the L. A. Master Chorale might be better off doing some of the finer choral works from recent Broadway musicals, such as Yeston's Titanic & Nine.
Nine opened in May of 1982.  Twenty-two years ago is not what most people would call "recent."

Yes, it was revived recently, but a revival is usually of an older work that has appeared on Broadway before.

(Edited for emphasis)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 08:13:40 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2004, 08:11:24 PM »

Maybe, if Enya had performed the song from The Triplets of Belleville, it could have had a better chance of winning the Oscar!

As it is, the film did win the Caesar for best music written for a film.  That should count for something.

François de Paris

« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2004, 08:12:01 PM »

Well, Nine opened 2 years ago here in Paris and lasted, humm, just a few weeks!

We just LOVE musicals here!!

Robin

« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2004, 08:18:44 PM »

Maybe, if Enya had performed the song from The Triplets of Belleville, it could have had a better chance of winning the Oscar!

It was my favorite movie of 2003.  And I adore the soundtrack CD.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

François de Paris

« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2004, 08:18:54 PM »

See NINE was ZERO in Paris!

"Deux saisons auparavant, un autre spectacle avait été monté aux mêmes Folies Bergère : l'adaptation du film 8 1/2 de Federico Fellini en comédie musicale, Nine, de Maury Yeston. Malgré la hauteur du propos - il s'agissait d'un des meilleurs et plus ambitieux spectacles du Broadway des vingt dernières années -, la participation de l'auteur de théâtre Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt pour les textes et paroles en français, et la présence de l'étoile française du West-End de Londres, Jérôme Pradon, la sauce n'a pas pris avec les Parisiens. Le spectacle était vite tombé, emportant dans le désespoir les amateurs qui caressaient l'espoir de voir les grandes affiches de Londres et Broadway succéder à Nine."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2004, 08:27:29 PM »

Did anyone watch "Regis and Kelly" today?  All this week, they've had Broadway performers come to the R&K studio and perform a song.  They've had songs from Wonderful Town, Little Shop of Horrors and today, Bombay Dreams!  You know what they performed??

Shakalaka Baby!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2004, 08:27:33 PM »

Late night Trivia:

The films The Flamingo Kid & the film Henry and June have something in common. What is it?
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up