Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: JAM-PACKED AND FUN-FILLED  (Read 27107 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:JAM-PACKED AND FUN-FILLED
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2005, 08:23:16 AM »

Well this is painful to me - to the point of almost being gruesome.

The diet I have put myself on does not allow me to eat potatoes OR potahtoes - or even a single potatoe (a Dan Quayle reference, he is a fraternity brother of mine).

BUT back in the day - cheesy potatoes were my favorites!  And now and then when my mommy was frying potatoes, I would eat a raw slice with some salt which was also very unusual tasting, and very good!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2005, 08:31:49 AM »

Betsy makes an incredible sliced potato, kale and cheese dish that's unbelievably tasty.

Repeating my request from yesterday:  could some kind NYC H/K try to find yesterday's (July 18) New York Sun and tell me if the review of "St. Frances of Hollywood" mentions my web article "Shedding Light on Shadowland."  If you can get the paper in any case and scan the review for me (even if it doesn't mention my article), I'll repay you for the paper.  Thank you.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2005, 08:38:13 AM »

Oh, and my joke about the cast member marrying a legend in the trivia question:  Bobby Van married Elaine Joyce.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2005, 08:38:41 AM »

(AKA Neil Simon's letter-deliverer).  :)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2005, 08:41:13 AM »

I am a big fan of the potato in all its glorious forms.  Mashed, hashed, baked, fried, scalloped...any and all.  My childhood favorite was mashed potatoes, especially with garlic...Jed makes fabulous garlic mashed potatoes.  I do like fries, but I'm rather picky about them.  I rarely eat standard fast-food variety fries.  I much prefer the steak fry, such as you get at Red Robin.  When I was a kid I decided I didn't like hashbrowns...thankfully my adult tastes have improved, and now I love 'em.  Potato soup, however, probably takes first place in my potato preferences.  A good creamy potato soup...mmmm, can't beat it.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2005, 08:55:13 AM »

Oh, and my joke about the cast member marrying a legend in the trivia question:  Bobby Van married Elaine Joyce.  ;)

Yep, and there was also Jay Harnick marrying the legendary Barbara Barrie.  I spent about an hour researching this until before I recalled that BK dropped the question.

Also, was the Alive and Kicking sketch writer Michael Stuart the same Michael Stewart of Hello, Dolly?  If he was, what was he doing between 1950 and 1960?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2005, 08:57:29 AM »

I have a recipe at home for a potato dish that is scrumptious.

It's called "Potatoes Anna".  Several medium-sized potatoes are peeled and then sliced into quarter-inch pieces.  The pieces are then fanned, in circles, in a greased pie dish or quiche plate.  From above, it would look like a Busby Berkeley shot!  A quarter-stick melted butter is then drizzled over the top, and the potatoes are salted and peppered.  Finally, tin foil is placed over the dish and the dish is placed in the oven to bake at F 425 (IIRC) for 10-15 minutes.  Then, the foil is removed, the temperature is reduced to either F 375 or F 350 (I forget) and it cooks another 55 minutes.

I add fresh rosemary to the potatoes when I remove the foil for a little extra flavor.  The potatoes caramelize a bit, too.  The dish is simply delicious.

If anyone wants the exact temperatures, I can post them after I get home.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2005, 09:01:08 AM »

Yep, and there was also Jay Harnick marrying the legendary Barbara Barrie.  I spent about an hour researching this until before I recalled that BK dropped the question.

Also, was the Alive and Kicking sketch writer Michael Stuart the same Michael Stewart of Hello, Dolly?  If he was, what was he doing between 1950 and 1960?

Look up Mike Stewart!  The man CHANGED his name through his career.

When  you look up "Michael Stewart", it seems he started off the with book to "Bye Bye, Birdie" and flew from there!

What a fabulous career THAT would have been had he not had any prior experiences!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2005, 09:01:14 AM »

I believe the "real" answer BK was looking for was Mickey Deems and Judy Garland (that's what I put), but evidently there is some disagreement as to whether it's that Mickey.

JMK

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2005, 09:02:20 AM »

(a Dan Quayle reference, he is a fraternity brother of mine).

This suddenly explains so much about both you and Dan.   ;D ;D ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2005, 09:05:44 AM »

When  you look up "Michael Stewart", it seems he started off the with book to "Bye Bye, Birdie" and flew from there!

The first credit for Michael Stewart I can think of is the book revision to Lillian Hellman's script to CANDIDE, for the 1957 tour and the 1958 London production.  It's my favorite libretto for CANDIDE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2005, 09:23:10 AM »

What a fabulous career THAT would have been had he not had any prior experiences!!!

Ah, that fills in some gaps.  I've found entries for two more revues under that name plus some time spent on a Sid Caesar TV show.

Michael Stewart paid a visit to my high school when we did Mack & Mable.  He was fun and informative and wasn't above poking a few holes in his own book (but never to the point of discouraging us or our our production.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2005, 09:23:35 AM »

I can't believe I missed pastry day yesterday.  DP Eric took some rather stunning pictures of some desserts we encountered in Paris, I'll see if I can find the link as to where he posted them.  

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2005, 09:25:16 AM »

Here is the link.... they are beautiful creations.  There's even one of me on there.   http://homepage.mac.com/kep72/PhotoAlbum7.html

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2005, 09:35:01 AM »

Betsy makes an incredible sliced potato, kale and cheese dish that's unbelievably tasty.

If Betsy made it, you can bet your sweet bippy it is GREAT!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2005, 09:35:03 AM »

The first credit for Michael Stewart I can think of is the book revision to Lillian Hellman's script to CANDIDE, for the 1957 tour and the 1958 London production.  It's my favorite libretto for CANDIDE.

My only reference material is the Internet Broadway Database, which is never totally accurate.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2005, 09:37:14 AM »

I believe the "real" answer BK was looking for was Mickey Deems and Judy Garland (that's what I put), but evidently there is some disagreement as to whether it's that Mickey.

Judy's 5th and last husband was Mickey Deans (born in 1934).  He was a discotheque manager.  The lasting notoriety of this match was that he was 12 years her junior.

Mickey Deems (born in 1925)  was only 3 years her junior, and has a passel of Broadway and TV credits to his name (if the Internet Move Database is to be believed).

All Google references to Garland (born in 1922) list "Deans" as the name of her husband.  Item after item list the name this way.  I thought perhaps there had been a name change, which is common enough, but I could find no reference to Garland and "Deems".

And I tried...and tried...and tried.

:D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 10:07:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2005, 09:38:06 AM »

I love mashed potatoes with butter and gravy!

Baked potatoe I like with sour cream and butter.

My dad made a good breakfast with leftover mashed potatoes which he fried up on a griddle.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2005, 09:45:06 AM »

Baked potatoe I like with sour cream and butter.

I think Mike Barnum might be a Quayle fraternity brother, too!!

:D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 09:45:34 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2005, 09:53:03 AM »

Wel, deer reeder, JMK, at leest I kan spel.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2005, 09:53:46 AM »

Michael DeVinko aka Mickey Deans is the correct name of Miss Judy Garland's widower.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Phone calls galore, and dealing with a strange bar code problem right now.

I forgot FJL in our winners list.

Did I miss ozderek's birthday?  DAMN!  That's what you get for writing the notes late and after that kind of day.

Well, let's put on our pointy party hats and our colored tights and pantaloons.  Let's break out the cheese slices and the ham chunks.  Let's dance the Hora and the Mashed Potato because today is ozderek's birthday.  So, let's send ozderek a big haineshisway.com birthday cheer.  On the count of three: One, two, three - A BIG HAINESHISWAY.COM BIRTHDAY CHEER TO OZDEREK!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2005, 10:02:06 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up!  I'm up!

In fact, I've been up since 5:30!!!!  And you wanna talked about a JAM-PACKED day, well...

So far, so good.

My buddy, Curt, will be here in a second to pick me up for our road trip up to NYC this afternoon.  So...

Until I'm back in NYC...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2005, 10:02:22 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR ozderek!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2005, 10:02:59 AM »

Plus we are now officially over the 130,000 post mark. I don't know when it happened but right now it's

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2005, 10:08:58 AM »

My only reference material is the Internet Broadway Database, which is never totally accurate.

You're totally right about the site.  I thought Stewart had done some revue material for Ben Bagley or Julius Monk as well, but since they were off-Broadway, the credits wouldn't be listed.  I'd known about the CANDIDE credit since I first discovered the "comic operetta" back in the early 1960s, but I finally got a chance to read his libretto at the Library of Congress while I was working on the Houston Grand Opera BABES IN TOYLAND.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2005, 10:21:07 AM »

On the other hand, the people at IBDb are very good about correcting errors if you bring them to their attention.  They had Frances listed as Frances FRAmer, with none of her other Broadway credits aside from Golden Boy, but after just one email from me, they corrected her name and added her other credits.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2005, 10:21:27 AM »

Yes, we have achieved our NEW plateau - congratulations to one and all and also all and one.  Now, on to 140,000!

Welcome seven GUESTS!  We're talkin' about potatoes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2005, 10:22:10 AM »

GAGGLE, baby, GAGGLE!

And now - Dino at the piano.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2005, 10:22:12 AM »

Jose...my God, man, are you trying to kill me!?!?! (When are we going to those places?) I've not yet been to Magnolia Bakery, but I've heard their cupcakes are UH-MAY-ZING.

Now, about potatoes. I love them. I love them mashed (with garlic or cheese or both. The Viceroy in Chelsea has incredible mashed potatoes). I love them fried. (Joe Allen's fries in that red wine garlic butter is fabulous). I love them baked. (A little margarine, a little bacon, a little heaven). I love them hashed. (Political differences aside, Cracker Barrel serves some of the best hash brown potatoes I've ever eaten). I love potato bread. In short, I love potatoes.

My mom makes a hash brown casserole that I beg for every time I go home. It involves the hash browns, obviously, in sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, chopped onions and then it's absolutely smothered in cheddar cheese and baked.  My favorite part is the cheese, but oh! how I do love that recipe. She calls them "Lucious Potatoes." Amen, sister!

If I calculated correctly, DR Jason's post #55 was our 130,000th post.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 10:22:56 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up