Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: JAM-PACKED AND FUN-FILLED  (Read 27166 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
JAM-PACKED AND FUN-FILLED
« on: July 19, 2005, 12:15:45 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've had jam with the notes, you've packed the notes and filled the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the jam-packed and fun-filled cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 12:03:23 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:JAM-PACKED AND FUN-FILLED
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 12:16:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: GAGGLE!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 12:27:31 AM »

I'm fond of most any spuds,  but I love a good crisp fry and a Baked Tater slathered in butter and bacon bits.  But sometimes a good mash is just the thing.  I like a rough mash with bits of the skin in the mix.  And I'm plumb fond of garlic mash.

Tonight, however, The Lovely Wife and I did not indulge in taters for dinner.  Instead we went to Dan Tana's with Harlan and Susan Ellison and two TV Critic friends who we met through the Ellisons last year, David Bianculi of the New York Daily News and Mark Dawidziak of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. They are in town for a couple of weeks getting wooed by the TV networks and seeing previews of new shows.  

The Lovely Wife had her usual odd and outre assortment of small dishes while I had veal parmangia.  It were lovely and the company was grand.  We laughed and laughed until we felt we could laugh no more.  And then we laughed some more.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 01:19:10 AM »

Dan Tana's is one of my favorite restaurants ever, and they have the best cabonara in the world.  It's all I eat there - along with their incredibly incredible Caesar Salad, also the best in town.

My favorits potatoes - I love really cheesy scalloped potatoes.  I love the potatoes they serve with the pounded steak at Musso (maybe Pogue can remember the name of them).  Of course, I love a good French fry, and baked potatoes are a passion, with oodles of butter and sour cream and chives (I can live without the sour cream but not without the butter and chives).  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 01:19:27 AM »

GAGGLE, baby, GAGGLE.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 01:39:11 AM »

Potatoes are good.  French fries, hash browns (Urban Onion here in Olympia has the best...especially with cheddar cheese melted on top!), simply mashed (even instant can be very good...I've said it before:  my standards are low ;)).  I can't think of any specific dishes or recipes...maybe later in the day.  We'll see. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 02:04:31 AM »

I may gander at google later to see what if I can find what potato recipe to feed my gaggle of geese.
"Gander" is a colloquial expression in OZ.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 02:52:37 AM »

What an educational site the HHW is!
Yesterday, I learned English grammar a lot, especially the possessive.  Here at HHW is the best English school I’ve ever known. :)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 02:54:34 AM »

I, too, love baked potatoes with oodles of butter and chives.
And I prefer a Miso Soup with potatoes and onions. It's tasty.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 02:57:15 AM »

DR JANE. Thank you for the message to me.
Here’s the said prunes. These are quite bigger than Japanese one and the taste is rich. I like it.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 03:12:50 AM »

Nice photos, DR JOSE.  The snug backyard with a rock staircase is beautiful. I have a dream of making my tiny garden a rock garden with a lot of alpine plants like an edelweiss.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 04:05:31 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've got to run down to the recording office to work on three reports due by Friday.  Then I may stop at Macy's for a couple of new pillows.  It all depends on the time.  Macy's after 11:00 gets quite crowded.

TOD:  
   Scalloped potatoes
   Potato pancakes
   Baked potato
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 04:42:07 AM »

French fries!!!

Ben

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 04:44:12 AM »

Even though he won't be here to see the good wishes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OZDEREK

I'm sure our own sweet and lovely Tom will make sure he gets them. Thanks Tom  :)

Macy's may be crowded but at least it will be air conditioned.

Today is supposed to be worse than yesterday. Uggh

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 04:57:24 AM »

I shall send the greetings to Derek right now DR Ben.
The wonders of the textmessage.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 05:00:35 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 05:01:36 AM »

Ah, yes. Text message. I know what they are but since we don't have  cell phones (we are probably the only two people in all of New York City Anthony and me, who don't have cell phones) I don't get text messages.

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 05:02:29 AM »

DP Colin and I have just watched "Queen Of The Stardust Ballroom".  I did not know until a couple of weeks ago that it was available on DVD. It really has such charm.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 05:05:49 AM »

A thank you has arrived from Derek DR Ben. Much appreciated. It would not have been a good night as Derek has informed his family this evening as to his need for transplant surgery. Knowing he has support, even on the other side of the world, is very important.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 05:07:57 AM »

Have a great day Ben.  Goodnight
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 05:22:57 AM »

Good Morning All!! Happy Birthady OZDEREK. Hope to see you back here soon!

Potatoes are my downfall, I love them. I especially love the way my mother boils potatoes then whips them with cream cheese and sour cream then puts spots of butter on the top and bakes them until they are hot.  Sort of like twice baked only better.

Other taters:
garlic mashed potatoes
cheesy scalloped potatoes
Potatoes fried with onions
good french fries (not always easy to find)
baked with butter and sour cream
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 05:23:43 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 05:25:06 AM »

Well, off to start my day...lots to do at the office and my new desktop computer should arrive....I can't wait!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 05:35:18 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR OZDEREK  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005, 05:45:40 AM »

MASHed and Baked
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2005, 05:45:57 AM »

Happy Birthday to Oz Derek
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 05:47:14 AM »

DEAR BK:

Are there any copy of  the poster/advertising that you can post? Any in performance photos?
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 06:12:14 AM »

TOD:

I loves a good baked potato (and that's baked, not microwaved!)  Loves 'em with butter, broccoli and sour cream, or some hot 'n' gooey cheeze-whiz cheese product (also with broccoli.)

My dad made the best home fries and potato pancakes.  Both were unapologetically fried in Wesson and made with tons of onions included, an ingredient that seems to be used less and less in restaurant fare these days.  You would think that onions were becoming the next peanuts, as far as avoided foods are concerned.

Homemade french fries are wonderful--if other people make them.  I never developed the knack--mine tend to turn out either undercooked or oil-sodden.  I've tried oven-baking them, but they aren't really french fries.   Anyone have a goof-proof method of cooking fries?

Years ago, when Burger King changed their french fry recipe, I thought that they were the best fries in the world.  That is no longer the case as it seems to me that they've modified their recipe or process again (probably to cut costs) and the fries are now on the bland side.  I now prefer Chik Filets' waffle fries (and their curly fries--but I know that they must be artery clogging.)

My sisters each make their own styles of mashed potatoes, each are mouthwatering.  Sister Rita makes cheese potatoes, but I can't for the life of me recall what kind of cheese she uses.  Sister Laureen makes garlic potatoes with buttermilk.  One important step they both take is to cook the cut-up potatoe chunks on the range for a time in order to remove as much water as possible.  This seems to help them come out very light and fluffy in texture.

During the winter, you can't go wrong with a good potato stew (again, with lots of onions.)

Boy, I can certainly write a lot about potatoes.  I haven't even gone into potato chips yet.  Or oven-roasted potatoes.  Or scalloped potatoes.  Or potato au gratin.  And let's not even bring up yams...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 06:18:00 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, DR OZDEREK!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2005, 06:31:58 AM »

DP Colin and I have just watched "Queen Of The Stardust Ballroom".  I did not know until a couple of weeks ago that it was available on DVD. It really has such charm.

I haven't seen this in years.  It was a wonnerful telepic with solid performances from Maureen Stapleton and Charles Durning.  I hated the ending, though.  I always wondered if the story about it being imposed by CBS was true or not.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2005, 06:37:26 AM »

Good morning!

Best birthday wishes to DR OzDerek!

My day yesterday was jam-packed (literally).  When blueberries are in season, I make a wonderful pie that calls for a 12oz jar of red currant jelly (not easy to find).  Smuckers.com has a "flavor finder" which told me to go to a store between our home and my workplace, which I did on my way home last night.  I had my Mamma Mia apron on this morning, all set to make the pie.  The only catch is that it calls for a graham cracker crust and there are no graham crackers in the house.  Guess I'd better make another stop on my way home from work...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 06:44:18 AM »

Here's a favorite potato dish:  Combine 1 can cream of celery soup, 1/3 cup of milk, and 3oz cream cheese in a small saucepan; cook and stir until smooth.  Pour mixture into 4C frozen hash browns; mix well and bake, covered, at 350 for an hour and a half.  Remove cover, top with shredded cheddar cheese and return to oven just to melt the cheese.  Especially good to accompany ham or pork roast.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up