Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FRIDAY THAT SEEMED LIKE SATURDAY  (Read 22813 times)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
Re:THE FRIDAY THAT SEEMED LIKE SATURDAY
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2006, 06:03:56 PM »

I don't know if anybody mentioned this yet (calling DR TPunk). But did anybody watch last night's SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE elimination???

space for comments pertaining to thursday's elimination show.

I actually thought it was a teary show. Sad to see people leave (although i was much more sad last week when it was alison).

I knew travis and heidi were safe after their excellent performances on wed. But my gosh mia (judge) was very rough on heidi and benji.

Since i'm guessing benji is the most popular contestant i knew who was going home.  I was a bit less sure between donyelle and natalie.

Next week's show should be good. And i'm excited to get to see everyone get to dance together. It's too bad ivan didn't get to dance with heidi. I think it might have helped his chances.

Of the 4 remaining, i would not mind if heidi, benji or travis won. I do like donyelle. But she hasn't grown in recent weeks. I'm thinking benji is going to win. I'm not sure who i want to win more benji or heidi. I've sort of enjoyed her more lately.

More thoughts on the results......

Of the 3 guys I thought Ivan was most deserving to go.  I agree that Mia's comments seemed harsh and yet I feel like she is usally right on.  I think with Benji, her comment about how she didn't realize how lacking in technique he was until she worked with him is a testament to what a talented performer he is.  Even though he may not be as technically skilled as Travis, he more than makes up for it in charisma.  I think the same could be said for Heidi.  I also agree with you and Mia in saying that Donyelle has been stagnant for the past few weeks.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2006, 06:06:01 PM »

we put an a fantastic production of the Importance of Being Ernest, and I was cast as Cecily Cardew.

Adriana Patti-wonderful play.  We will be seeing this fall at our local Shakespeare Festival.  I live in Ashland.  Have you been to the festival here?  It's a popular place for school field trips.

Jane

« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2006, 06:14:49 PM »

DakotaCelt-Good vibes dealing with your aunt-in-law.  I’m so thankful now it is just my brother & I we get along great.  We had a family member who made life very, very difficult-and that is an understatement.      

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2006, 06:21:25 PM »

TOTD:

DVD -"The Passenger"  Loved this film way back in 1976 and it still fills me with questions. A very satisfying work.

CD:  Best of Brook Benton
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2006, 06:31:59 PM »

I forgot to answer yesterday's TOD:

(1)  Seeing Tommy Tune do the song and dance number "It's Not Where You Start" in SEESAW, even dancing on point wearing clogs.

(2)The opening "Ragtime" number in RAGTIME.

(3)  When I saw the first preview performance of TITANIC on Broadway, there was a song near the end of the show while they are loading the lifeboats.  The song is "We'll Meet Tomorrow" and at the preview the song was sung as a solo by Don Stephenson who played 2nd Class Passenger Charles Clarke.  When Mr. Stephenson finished singing the song that night, he truly brought down the house.  The entire audience was blown away.

By the time the show opened on Broadway three weeks later; the love story between Charles Clarke and his girlfriend had been trimmed considerably, the show already had an overnight sensation in Brian d'Arcy James, and the show-stopping solo had been converted into a full-cast number.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2006, 06:39:51 PM »

It wasn't John Fraser?

No in fact, my guess is it was former heavy weight world champ Terry Downes who played Chunky the butcher wearing an apron and no shirt.
 ;D

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 06:43:40 PM by JRand55 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2006, 06:40:34 PM »

Adriana Patti-wonderful play.  We will be seeing this fall at our local Shakespeare Festival.  I live in Ashland.  Have you been to the festival here?  It's a popular place for school field trips.

ARRRRGHHHHHHHHhh.....I hope it's not the Libby Appel version.  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2006, 06:41:21 PM »

DR TCB - I myself will be 56 in 22 days.....and DRJOSE will be considerably younger the day before.

Jane

« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2006, 06:42:33 PM »

Awhile ago I mentioned our ground squirrels were multiplying & doing damage.  Now that the young ones are old enough to fend on their own we have placed a live trap outside in the hopes of relocating them.  After multiple attempts with different treats, in the middle of eating our dinner tonight, we caught one.  Seems the secret food was a plum.  

One down, four to go.  The rest are far enough away from the house they are welcome to stay.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2006, 06:44:48 PM »

I forgot to answer yesterday's TOD:
(

(3)  When I saw the first preview performance of TITANIC on Broadway, there was a song near the end of the show while they are loading the lifeboats.  The song is "We'll Meet Tomorrow" and at the preview the song was sung as a solo by Don Stephenson who played 2nd Class Passenger Charles Clarke.  When Mr. Stephenson finished singing the song that night, he truly brought down the house.  The entire audience was blown away.

By the time the show opened on Broadway three weeks later; the love story between Charles Clarke and his girlfriend had been trimmed considerably, the show already had an overnight sensation in Brian d'Arcy James, and the show-stopping solo had been converted into a full-cast number.

There's only one star in a Helen Lawson show and that's me, baby!  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2006, 06:46:14 PM »

It finally got dark!  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2006, 06:46:43 PM »

Brook Benton is a perfect choice DR TOMovOZ!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2006, 06:57:16 PM »

DR TCB - I myself will be 56 in 22 days.....and DRJOSE will be considerably younger the day before.

Maybe on my birthday, I should change my name to TCBand56. Sicne it is three days before your birthday, you will look like the copycat.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2006, 06:58:03 PM »

TCBand55-LOL

Tomovoz

« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2006, 06:59:26 PM »

Indeed he is DR JRand.  Along with the wonderful Dinah Washington too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #165 on: August 04, 2006, 07:00:20 PM »

ARRRRGHHHHHHHHhh.....I hope it's not the Libby Appel version.  :P

No :).  This year her plays are The Winters Tale and Bus Stop.  We saw Bus Stop and it was enjoyable, not memorable, just a pleasant evening out with Keith's aunt and uncle.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2006, 07:01:53 PM »

There's only one star in a Helen Lawson show and that's me, baby!  8)

That was kind of what I thought when I picked up the CD and noticed the change.  Of course, I doubt that Mr. d'Arcy James had any control over the changes.  Also in that original cast was Michael Cerveris, Victoria Clark, and Alet Taylor's husband Andy Taylor.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #167 on: August 04, 2006, 07:02:05 PM »

'night

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2006, 07:03:21 PM »

TCBand55-LOL

I kind of like that.  And we could have Janeand39
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #169 on: August 04, 2006, 08:36:35 PM »

Finished CAPTAIN JANUARY this evening. As tear-jerking as I remember it being. Nice to have it in the collection now looking so good.

I took a second and watched a scene in the colorized version. As usual, the film looks dead colorized. I don't know how folks can watch these things.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: August 04, 2006, 08:42:43 PM »

Next came SINGIN' IN THE RAIN on laserdisc, and I got to hear and enjoy the late Ron Haver's commentary for the first time in many, many years.

I have to admit there were more gaps than I actually remembered; many commentarians scarsely draw a breath during their audio essays, but Haver does pause several times to let the film play before making certain comments.

Amazing the quality on DVD we're now used to. I'm sure when this Criterion laserdisc was issued, people were very impressed with it, but now, the picture is fairly sharp, but the color is pale next to the Ultra-Resolution DVD, and the soundtrack has some pronounced hiss in certain places. Not so on the DVD.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: August 04, 2006, 08:44:23 PM »

MONK had a funny episode (loved his concern over the expensive business cards, a running gag). Wonder if they're going to keep the idea of his P.I. office or if this was merely a one-shot plot for this episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: August 04, 2006, 08:45:59 PM »

PSYCH was hilarious, too, with the ever-adorable James Roday "mind-melding" with a cat. And a pretty clever mystery solved at the last minute, too.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #173 on: August 04, 2006, 08:50:34 PM »

Have never seen Monk...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2006, 09:07:24 PM »

MONK is a fun show. The mysteries aren't usually especially difficult to solve. It's much more a character show and with more humor than is usual for a procedural.

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2006, 09:07:49 PM »

I'm off to bed now.

Good night!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2006, 10:09:02 PM »

Some Jodie Foster movie is filming in and around our building tonight. The craft services truck is parked down the block and a little noisy. Around back (the Broadway side) they are filming a scene in the courtyard, but they have strewn the place with junk to make it look someone's idea of a slum, I imagine. So if this movie comes out, we will probably not want to point out that it is where we live.

It is called THE BRAVE ONE.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:11:41 PM by Rodzinski »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #177 on: August 04, 2006, 11:02:14 PM »

Thought I owuld post some goodnights before I went to bed.... Pleasant dreams everyone!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2006, 12:25:46 AM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

Great show tonight, and I shall reveal all in the notes, which I'll now write.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2006, 01:12:07 AM »

I've been home for about an hour after seeing a reading of The Last Starfighter in Issaquah.  In a word:  WONDERFUL!!  Fred and Skip said that there have been some changes since the original production...and I would assume, since the Kritzerland release of the cast recording, which is also very good.  However, seeing it live with actors/singers who are very good and hearing the whole book just makes it a great, great evening of entertainment.  AND I got to meet the writers, Skip Kennon and Fred Landau (our very own FJL!).  PennyO was there, also and we chatted and sat next to each other in the second row.  AND afterwards they had short talkback session with Fred and Skip, the director, the music director AND the screenwriter to the movie Jonathan Betuel AND the original Alex Rogan from the movie, Lance Guest!!  He's doing another show in the weekend and just happened to be there at the same time!  It was pretty cool.  I got Skip and Fred's autographs on my CD and Jonathan and Lance's autographs on my DVD!!  I didn't, however, get a chance to take any pictures, but I will tomorrow. ;D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 01:19:52 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up