Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THEDA BARA OF HAINES HIS WAY  (Read 6744 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE THEDA BARA OF HAINES HIS WAY
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »

This new key is so low, I keep thinking, is this the limited range the actor has? From an Equity call?  WTF?  The C above middle C is only touched.  In the old key, the actor had E-flats!  Now his range is a tenth: A below Middle-C to the C (briefly) above. It's the range of an untrained woman whose break lands on an A or B-flat.  The song will no longer sound bright.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2017, 08:22:23 AM »

TOD:

All those mentioned so far....plus:

Pitiful Penniless Bums
For Once In Your Life - from Golden Rainbow
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2017, 08:22:27 AM »

Gower Champion choreographed the stage Bye Bye Birdie.  There was a rumor in the 1960s-70s that Onna was having an affair with one of her leading ladies. Who knows?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2017, 08:23:43 AM »

Thanks for the info DR ELMORE....interesting.

And thanks for the continued vibes.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2017, 09:14:01 AM »

I think Mame was Onna's biggest hit. She also did I Had a Ball.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2017, 09:14:13 AM »

Or maybe it was 1776.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2017, 09:14:25 AM »

Anyway, the car is gone. THe dishwasher is running. Laundry is in the dryer. I need a nap.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2017, 09:20:39 AM »

Saturday afternoon greetings!  All 4 Palmers are home right now, enjoying some quiet time and open windows.  It's very pleasant here in SW Ohio for the last weekend in July.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »

I think they come to pick up the old car in a half hour. Nice to have that concluded.

Congratulations!

John G.

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »

Watching something called Doubting Thomas with Will Rogers watching a lousy community theater production. It's not funny if you've ever lived through it.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »

Has anybody read any of the novels of Molly Gloss? I picked up one called Falling from Horses last night and liked the first 20 pages. Seems like she writes at an easy pace, which I need now.

I enjoyed "The Hearts of Horses" and enjoyed it very much.  I then read "The Dazzle of Day" and disliked it.  I then stopped reading her books.  If you still like "Falling from Horses" at the end I will read it.

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2017, 10:36:13 AM »

Rob, Mary Linda, and I just visited a garage sale at a very posh home over on the other side of Central Avenue.  ML's description was "Lame."  Not much stuff - big items and very overpriced.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »

Has anybody read any of the novels of Molly Gloss? I picked up one called Falling from Horses last night and liked the first 20 pages. Seems like she writes at an easy pace, which I need now.

I enjoyed "The Hearts of Horses" and enjoyed it very much.  I then read "The Dazzle of Day" and disliked it.  I then stopped reading her books.  If you still like "Falling from Horses" at the end I will read it.

My book group read "The Hearts of Horses" years ago and it wasn't our favorite.  Didn't motivate me to read any more of her books.

I've just started "News of the World" by Paulette Jiles for an August 15 discussion at the library where my career began.  So far, so good...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »

Just finished orchestrating the new key.  On to the parts, only three, thank God.

John G.

« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »

I'll remember that and post if and when I finish it.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »

My book group read "The Hearts of Horses" years ago and it wasn't our favorite.  Didn't motivate me to read any more of her books.

I've just started "News of the World" by Paulette Jiles for an August 15 discussion at the library where my career began.  So far, so good...

Thanks. I read something by Jiles. Can't remember what it was.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »

The documentary on Will Rogers that is an extra on this disc is longer than the movie was.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2017, 11:33:58 AM »

Good morning.  I'll be on my way to Pennsylvania soon to celebrate my cousin's birthday, which was yesterday.

~~~Travel Vibes to Fred!!~~~

And Happy Birthday to your cousin!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »

It should be a good discussion.

George

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »

My friend called me last night to tell me that his neighbor's daughter was found dead lock in a bathroom of a Burger King. She died of a heroin overdose. I had met her a few times over the years but she is the first person I know who had died from an opioid OD. Very sad. She just turned 30. One hears about other people in other cities and when it's in your own backyard you realize how widespread the problem is.

Michael, I am so sorry.  My condolences to you and to her family. :(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »

I have the final newly transposed number to do today and tomorrow.  Then NYMF and I are over.

Great news, Larry!

George

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »

DR TCB, after reading The Shining and 'Salem's Lot in the late 1970s, thanks to our DR Ginny, I was a huge Stephen King fan.  B the time I finished It, I was over him. Although I admire his imagination, opinions, and his politics, I found that his later books started out like gangbusters, dragged on, and then completely petered out, as though as editor threw up his hands and said, "so you don't want my opinion. Fine, you're the Successful Writer." I thought It had a fantastically creepy opening section and then went to hell.

That's exactly how I felt about several of his books...loved his writing style, great set-up, good characters and dialogue, and then a crap ending. :P

George

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »

Yesterday we went to Mt St Helens.  The area is beautiful as well as interesting.  We also enjoyed a nice hike.

I haven't been in quite a few years.  Now that I've lost some weight, it'll be a lot easier to walk up the hills.

George

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Continued Mega Health Vibes to our DR JRand66!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~SUPER DITTO!!~~~

George

« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »

Travel vibes for DR GEORGE and DR FJL on their ways to their festivities!

Thanks, Jrand!

George

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »

I have a load of laundry in the washer.  I'll take a shower in a little bit.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2017, 12:05:10 PM »

Yesterday we went to Mt St Helens.  The area is beautiful as well as interesting.  We also enjoyed a nice hike.

I haven't been in quite a few years.  Now that I've lost some weight, it'll be a lot easier to walk up the hills.

It would be.  The only issue I had was being very careful not to trip on the rocks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »

This new key is so low, I keep thinking, is this the limited range the actor has? From an Equity call?  WTF?  The C above middle C is only touched.  In the old key, the actor had E-flats!  Now his range is a tenth: A below Middle-C to the C (briefly) above. It's the range of an untrained woman whose break lands on an A or B-flat.  The song will no longer sound bright.

Sounds like he's from the Guy Haines Vocal Conservatory.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »

I gave up on Mr. King after his books began to regularly reach 800 or 900 pages.  The books I fell in love with, save for The Stand, which he wanted LONGER than the long that was published, were all reasonable page counts and paced beautifully.  The last real fiction book I read before I began writing fiction and stopped reading fiction was by Mr. King - Dreamcatcher, which I thought was one of the worst books I'd ever read, almost a parody of a Stephen King book.  I do know people thought 11/22/63 was a return to form, but the page count was just as huge as ever.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up