Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A FAERIE PRINCESS ON SPEEDBALLS  (Read 10947 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LIKE A FAERIE PRINCESS ON SPEEDBALLS
« on: September 20, 2004, 11:59:49 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are at one with the notes, the notes are at one with you, and therefore everyone is at one with everyone and everything and we are at peace and calm and filled with New Age beatific faces.  And now it is time to post until the faerie cows come home.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 12:00:01 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LIKE A WINGED FAERIE ON SPEEDBALLS
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 12:20:13 AM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS!  We're talkin' about teachers.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 01:13:05 AM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

Teachers.  I consider myself very fortunate that I've had many wonderful teachers throughout my school years and beyond.  Mr. Sharack in 4th Grade.  Mrs. Wallace in 5th Grade.  Sister Edward Eileen in 6th Grade.  Mr. Johnson, Sister Maureen Bernard, Mrs. Kammerer. Mrs. Alexander and Mr. Garcia in high school.  Melanie Kohn-Day, EveAnne Eichhorn, Dr. Vlahcevic (Dr. "V"), Dr. Sandra Guerard, and Gary Hopper in college.  -And a couple of others who's names escape me right now.

Yes, they actually have contributed to my life in different ways, but the thing they have in common is how much they actually cared about teaching and passing on their knowledge to their students... And how it was/is important to keep sharing that knowledge.  Don't break the chain.  Teaching is a very noble profession.  Teaching as a responsibility, not just a job.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 03:36:04 AM »

Catching up. My ISP/cable went out shortly after the emmys finished. The cable came on the next morning, but ISP when I woke this AM.

I haven't forgotten about all those DR and the CDs. Please hold on. I WILL get to you.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 03:41:14 AM »

Teachers.... ;D

Hmmmmmmmm...Mrs Brewster who introduced me to Catcher in the Rye, William Faulkner, and Lord of the Flies.

Miss Kirk who was my coach for the Spelling Bee in the 7th and 8th grades.

Mr Marksbury who was a great history teacher who taught us that history mattered TODAY!

Some who were NOT so great, but their names will NOT be mentioned here.  Hopefully they are all - if not DEAD - at least retired from teaching and making the lives of students miserable!  :P
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 03:42:03 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week:

The famous Columbia shot in the "winged" dress.  Still not sure how or why it was made like this.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 04:08:32 AM »

Jay said:

"Just few seats away from Dear Reader Jose and me was Mr. Lenny Wolpe, on his night off from the national tour of Little Shop of Horrors, which I will be seeing on Thursday evening."

Mr. Wolpe will be leaving Little Shop soon (or the tour may end, I don't know) to come out to Papermill Playhouse where he will play the Baker in "The Baker's Wife". I don't really "know" Mr. Wolpe but our time at the University of Minnesota overlapped for a while. He was also in New York when I moved here. He played Ed Koch in the musical "How Am I Doin'?" He was in a musical called "Onward Victoria" about women getting the right to vote. He went out to California and I would see him frequently on sitcoms and other television fare. I remember him as a funny and very nice man, genuine and pleasant and an all-around good guy.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 04:11:31 AM »

Here is your Minnesota State Fair picture of the day. It's a family shot taken near the end of the day. It includes almost everyone except my brother (the one in Iraq) and a sister who doesn't like the State Fair and decided not to come with us. Also included is my sister-in-law and her mother.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 04:16:37 AM »

I had a very inspiring teacher in high school from 10th grade through 12th grade, Miss Yvonne Person. She was the speech and drama teacher. She directed many of the shows and was very supportive of my desire to move to New York for a career in theatre. I will always remember her fondly.

As for some of the others, like a certain 6th grade teacher and a high school gym teacher who was so hateful and mean that I still remember his evil behavior (no molestation or anything like that, just maltreatment of those of us who didn't fit the "jock image"), JRand said it best a couple of posts earlier "Some who were NOT so great, but their names will NOT be mentioned here." Move on (I tell myself that).

Ben

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 04:18:06 AM »

Sad to be all alone in the world at 7:19am Eastern Standard Time in New York City.

I fell asleep at 8:45pm which is my reason for not being in the sparkling chat room last night. Working at 6am every day does take its toll on you.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 04:20:02 AM »

You can get windchimes at Home Depot, Loews, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Linens and Things, craft stores, Target and other such stores. I would get them. I don't think they would be annoying. Even if they get annoying, you can take them down for a while until they stop annoying you.

Don't have any idea where you could get a smaller butcher block kitchen table.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 04:21:34 AM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 05:53:01 AM »

Hmmm did anybody else notice that the title of today's notes isn't the same on thie page as it is on the notes page.

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 05:54:37 AM »

DR George asked about the 10 Commandments.  Well I would definitely go see it. But that's just me.  I did see the french version when it played here a year or two ago.  It was good, but nothing like NDDP (which I loved).

Ben

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 05:55:19 AM »

Didn't notice till you pointed it out.

On the notes page it's

Faerie Princess on Speedballs

and on the post page it's

Winged Faerie on Speedballs

Ben

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2004, 05:56:08 AM »

Jennifer, what is NDDP, Notre Dame de Paris?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 06:00:15 AM »

Didn't notice till you pointed it out.

I didn't notice it either.  Good thing I'm not a proo freader.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 06:04:32 AM »

I caution you on wind chimes, BK.  While I, too, do like them, they can become grating to neighbors soon after they are hung up for display.

If you do proceed with gettign some, I might recommend someplace like Nature Company (I think that's what it's called), where they have different chimes in different "keys."  I have found that the lower the key the chimes...well, chimed in, the less annoying they can be.

On the TOD, I had two school teachers who had great influence and inspiration on me.  One was my 5th grade teacher, Ellen Kantrow.  She was my teacher at the time of my parent's divorce, and my father's remarriage, and helped me through a very difficult time in my life. (Well, difficult at that point in my life.)

Another was my AP English teacher in high school, Harris Sarney.  He taught me -- indirectly -- how to live with dignity as a gay man.  (Whether my brother's opinion is the same is of little consequence to my own.)

In a different way, my boss at CAMI was also, in his way, a teacher.  He taught me about the business side of "show business."  He also taught me -- by his own demonstration -- how NOT to handle alcohol, and how NOT to conduct oneself with decorum both privately and professionally.  In other words, he didn't do either very well.....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:04:46 PM by bk »

Ben

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 06:12:54 AM »

These kinds of puns always make me laugh (Tom Swifties). I just found them in a random search for something else.

"I've joined the Navy," Tom said fleetingly
"Happy July Fourth," Tom said independently
"I've had my left and right ventricles removed," Tom said half-heartedly.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2004, 06:47:42 AM »

Get the wind chimes.  There is a way of stopping them if they get too annoying.

I never had my favorite teacher for a class, but she was in charge of the drama department and directed most of the school plays.  She had a son my age and we became friendly.  The year after high school, she asked me if I wanted to go to New York City for Spring break with her, her son, and another friend.  It was my first trip and in addition to sightseeing, we saw eight shows and three television tapings.  I also had an interview for a stock job the following summer (which I got).  Though she was technically not my teacher, she was a teacher who was also a friend and whose influence helped change my life.  Thank you Margaret Gump Meyer (MGM).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2004, 06:54:12 AM »

I want to point out the fact that none of my "favorite" teachers,  nor the ones who had the most "influence" over my life, were college professors.

Perhaps it was the faculty at NYU at the time, but I found the professors there interested in many things OTHER than their students.  Like tenure.  I had one particular professor for several different classes, and you would think that over the course of three, or perhaps four, semesters some sort of personal relationship would have developed, but that was not to be the case.

College, in general, was a disappointment.  In retrospect.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2004, 07:00:05 AM »

Jennifer, what is NDDP, Notre Dame de Paris?

Yes.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2004, 07:06:29 AM »

DR Emily, I got this email today:

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/portesouvertes_2004.htm?p=2898

Cirque du Soleil is having some sort of Open House this weekend.  Not sure if they will be performing anything.  I sort of thought they would from the email.  But now that I read the press release I don't think so. :(

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2004, 07:08:25 AM »

The Most Inspiring Teacher of Me:  That would be Constance Pawlak, my senior year high school English teacher.  She was very strict and very demanding of her students.  And even though I was very much in a goofball mode that year, she managed to instill in me a love for literature and language that has remained with me till today.  She was one of the few teachers that I ever went out of my way to achieve excellant grades their classes.

I once took an acting class at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philly and had a wonderful teacher of whom I can only ever remember his first name--Ron.  But he was the first acting teacher I ever had who wasn't a strict Stanislavski-ite and he helped me to realize how to really use my creativity and imagination in creating a character.  He also enabled me to open up and allow myself to be me on the stage, instead faking my way through parts by acting within a crafted facade, which had been my usual method.  I was a much better actor in the few short weeks I worked with this man than I was after four years of acting classes in college, and I actually began to have fun in subsequent roles for the first time, too.  I really wish I could remember his whole name...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2004, 07:14:01 AM »

My first grade teacher Mrs. Tollefson was wonderful...a great way to start out my life in school! Also Mrs. Miller in second grade was a fantastic teacher...both really inspired and developed my artistic side.

My 5th/6th grade teacher Mrs. DeArmond is one who I will always adore as well...she did a great job teaching us about other countries, which at that time was my favorite subject...geography!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2004, 07:14:06 AM »

BK, I vote for the wind chimes, too.  And I agree with DR Stuart that you would do better with the larger, lower key sets that actually do "chime" as opposed to the smaller ones that basically just 'tinkle".  These tend to be more expensive (maybe $60 to $70 and upwards) but they are worth it.  I love hearing mine, particularly when I'm in a meditative mood.  They are great serenity tools.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2004, 07:16:27 AM »

Hey DRS Stuart, MBarnum, and RLP: Let's hear your Big Brother and TAR predictions for tonight!

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2004, 07:18:18 AM »

Talked with Ms. Laurie "Queen of Outer Space" Mitchell last night and she told me all about her visit to the Academy on Friday. They were celebrating the the 30th anniversary of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT. She said that Tony Martin sang a song to Esther Williams (who was in a wheel chair due to hip surgery)...Debbie Reynolds was there and was "a ball of fire," as was Janis Paige (she and Laurie used to be good friends), and numerous other celebs! She, her husband Ron, and Diana "Reform School Girl" Darrin all had a wonderful time!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2004, 07:39:57 AM »

My 5th/6th grade teacher Mrs. DeArmond is one who I will always adore as well...she did a great job teaching us about other countries, which at that time was my favorite subject...geography!

Geography makes me think of one of my worst teachers--my home room nun in sixth-grade and geography teacher--Sr. Rosaira.  She was a mean nasty nun whose idea of teaching consisted of standing up in front of the class and reading straight from the geography text book, word-for-word, throughout the entire class session, stopping only occaisionally to point at a map on the wall behind her.  And our homework for this class?  We had to copy, in longhand on looseleaf, the entire geography book.  We had to copy every word, map and illustration from each and every chapter.  Extra credit was given if we drew the photographs.  I think it was around November when I thought to myself, "F*ck this sh*t!" and just stopped doing the work.

After getting yelled at by Sr. Rosaira several times for not doing my assignments, I caught on to what the really smart kids were doing:  copying just the first and last few paragraphs of each chapter and stuffing the pages in between with previously handwritten work.  Evidently, Sr. Rosaira's eyesight couldn't stand the strain of trying to decipher the scribblings of two classes of 40 twelve-year-olds, so she barely looked at any work that was presented to her.  I was able to slack my way through the rest of the year I had to spend with her.  

Since she was teaching us European geography, my lack of interest in her class is probably the reason that I still cannot correctly tell the difference between Norway, Finland and Sweden on a map.  And I have no idea of what is the most productive crop of Albania.
-- Anaïs Nin

Emily

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2004, 07:51:03 AM »

I went to Cirque de Soleil once as a child (Saltimbanco or something along those lines) and something about the movement of the performers made me motion sick.  Like reaaaaaaaaaallllly ill motion sick.

To this day I can't see the Cirque perform without feeling nauseous.  Although I do respect what they do and think that it the combination of circus arts with performance art to be genius!

My favourite teacher was Ms. O'Neil.  She taught my class English and Math from grades 2-4 (inclusively).  The good thing about her was that while all my other elementary school taught us as if we had no brain power nor independent abilities, Ms. O'Neil taught like a university professor.  She came right out and told us she wasn't going to baby us... watch our homework or anything like that.  And we all loved her and learned a ton from her :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LIKE A FAERIE PRINCESS ON SPEEDBALLS
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2004, 08:02:12 AM »

MBarnum, what was Mrs. Tollefson's first name, do you know?  Or what did she look like?

I have no idea what those who say the title is different are talking about.    ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up