Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HALF LOS ANGELES TIMES  (Read 12503 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE HALF LOS ANGELES TIMES
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »

New page.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »

I began reading the Medford Mail Tribune when I was in about the 3rd or 4th grade. Always looked forward to the Tempo in Friday's (or was it Thursday's) newspaper (the Tempo listed what was on TV the following week, along with movies playing at the theatre) and I would scout out what monster movies were playing over the weekend.

Do you think the paper has gone downhill or was it always rather mediocre?

Jane

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »

Jrand I'm not sure that print papers are putting themselves out of business so much as the internet is putting them out of business and making them sadly obsolete.  Eventually, I suspect all will be operating online and there will be no physical paper.  some like The London Times and I believe the NY Times are now trying online subscriptions to access their pages.  As long as I can get the news for free online elsewhere, I'll not be subscribing online to a paper.  Interestingly, when recently in London, The Evening Standard was being passed out on the street for free.  The vendor said they could do this because of the advertising (But even the Standard wasn't quite the size and thickness, it used to be when you paid for it).

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

The Mail Tribune, which DR MBarnum mentioned, and our Ashland Tidings now charge to access them online.  They aren't worth it.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2011, 10:33:37 AM »

TOD - We still subscribe to the 2 newspapers that DR Elmore described, but I find myself not paying much attention to them.  I do leaf through each one, but don't depend on them for keeping up with the news.  The Cincinnati Enquirer has 2 crossword puzzles Monday-Saturday and I keep those in a folder, along with Sunday's and the one from each issue of The Week.  I work on those while others are watching TV and when we travel.  Most of my news comes from the internet and NPR.

The newspaper of choice when I was growing up was the Detroit Free Press, which I still read online a bit at freep.com. 

I should do that.  When we lived in Michigan I found it to be an excellent paper and enjoyed the editorial articles.  To my surprise one of my favorite columns was a sports one.  Later the columnists became famous when he wrote "Tuesdays with Morrie".  Mitch Albom had written about Morrie in his column, an example of why I looked forward to reading it.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »

Growing up my family read the evening Mirror News on the week days and on Sunday mornings we read the L.A. Times.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2011, 10:36:14 AM »

And...

I'm currently breathing a HUGE sigh of relief. I just called my storage place, and they reminded me that they include a free moving van with a driver with my move-in! So, the appointment has been made for tomorrow afternoon! -And I no longer have to worry about breaking down my friend's car with repeated trips between here and the storage unit tomorrow.

:)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »

The last Salem news I read was all about the witch trials.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »

LOL I find I have the same problem if I eat late.  I like to eat at 4:30 when I'm home.  Most around here open at 5:30 and a few at 5:00.

My father didn't get home until 7:00.  As a result my siblings and I ate earlier in the kitchen until we were older.  When we ate at a nice restaurant with my parents they learned to give me a snack around my actual dinner time or I would have a terrible stomach ache by the time dinner arrived.  Eventually I learned to eat later, with snack before hand of course. 

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »

Were you channeling someone at the time, or were you actually there?

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »

A bit of both.

It is the Eve of Ides.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »

And...

I'm currently breathing a HUGE sigh of relief. I just called my storage place, and they reminded me that they include a free moving van with a driver with my move-in! So, the appointment has been made for tomorrow afternoon! -And I no longer have to worry about breaking down my friend's car with repeated trips between here and the sttorage unit tomorrow.

That sounds like a Manhattan Storage Unit deal! I had the same free delivery when I moved God knows how many cartons to their 107th Street facility during the bedbug stress. I liked them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:23:26 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »

LOL!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2011, 11:28:02 AM »

It's been a frustrating afternoon: I have lost two orchestra scores I need to finish my recording budget, and I really cannot afford a trek to the LoC this week to photocopy them again!

Cillaliz

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Cillaliz

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2011, 11:59:35 AM »

Didn't know if that would work.   My sister sent me that in an email and it made me chuckle

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »

LOL, DR Cillaliz!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:58 PM »

Obviously it's a keyboard programmed to operate in New Zealand or Australia!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »

When I was growing up, Louisville had two daily newspapers, the Courier-Journal in the morning and the Louisville Times in the afternoon. I always preferred the Times because they had a fun tabloid on Saturdays that had all the arts information you could want in it. The TV critic was Howard Rosenberg, long before he went to LA. His writing was a big influence on mine because he was always readable, even if you weren't interested in the topic.

When I was 12, I started delivering both newspapers (they were both owned by the Bingham family). And in the afternoon I would read the paper while I delivered it. It was too dark in the morning.

I started working for a newspaper shortly after I went off to college and stayed with newspapers for almost 30 years. About four years ago, two years before I was laid off, I stopped reading the paper. I don't think it was the Internet. I think it was more the agenda of the editor of the San Antonio paper, which made his product irrelevant to my life. The slant of the paper was directed toward some conservative upper middle class white woman who spends half her life at the gym. They had also cut it down to that uncomfortable size to hold.

So, I rarely read the paper any more. I look at the Courier-Journal when I go to Louisville (the Times was killed off shortly after I went to college). But that's about it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2011, 01:38:15 PM »

I don't get the big deal about dinner at 7 p.m. Plenty of restaurateurs tell me it's the only time people want reservations. So, I like to get to a restaurant at about 6:30 p.m. before the rush or after 8 p.m. You get better service and often better food that way.

When I was growing up, we ate dinner at 5:30 p.m., shortly after my dad arrived home from work. When I'm cooking, it could anywhere from 6 to 9:30 p.m.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »

Greetings from Sarasota, Florida!   I'm here to see a certain singer-you may have heard of him--yes, Mr.Barrett is performing at the "Historic Asolo Theatre."  It's really quite a place--it was moved here from Italy.

My friend from Ft Lauderdale is here.  We went to see both performances yesterday.  Brent was accompanied on the piano by his longtime (since 1980, he mentioned during the show!) musical director, Christopher Denny.  

Brent really sounded great.  He sang several songs from his CDs, including "Sometimes a Day Goes By,"  "Anyone Who Loves," "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face,"  "They Called the Wind Maria," "Come Back to Me."  I was so happy he sang "Lucky to Be Me," which I've been enjoying on youtube for a while.   "You've Got That Thing" was a highlight, along with "Music of the Night."  He also left the Broadway-type songs for a rousing "Rhythm of the Night."  

The audience for the matinee was good, but there was a really enthusiastic group at the evening performance, which made it more fun for everyone, Brent included, from the looks of things.
That is a great theater. I remember seeing a few shows there when I lived in Sarasota. A few shows such as Frank Wildhorn's "Svengali" and the recent "Tale of Two Cities" tried out there. So did a forgotten Michael John LaCuisa piece called "The Petrified Prince."
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »

I can attest to Elmore's feelings about his hometown paper. I worked there for about a year.
― Voltaire

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »

True DR RLP -

DR CP - my comment about out of business - mostly meant that as more and more newspapers come under NON LOCAL ownership and editorship - they lose their identities as MY newspaper......

The STAR is the only paper left in Indy.......

Here is a tidbit (at least locally) - Tuesday's newspaper is always the thinnest and carries fewer pages because that is the day that the Sunday supplements for the following weekend are also published....and the presses can only handle so much.

The problem with the Lex Herald-Leader is that it concentrates mostly on local news and there is no larger picture of what's going on in the world.  But that may be the only thing that keeps them alive as most of the national/international news that gets the day after you've read it on the web or seen it on TV.  But like others have said, I can usually whip through the paper in less than fifteen minutes...and not much longer on the Sunday rag.  One of the things I love about London when I'm there is that I can buy a half dozen weekend papers and they and their supplements will entertain me for hours.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »

When I was growing up, Louisville had two daily newspapers, the Courier-Journal in the morning and the Louisville Times in the afternoon. I always preferred the Times because they had a fun tabloid on Saturdays that had all the arts information you could want in it. The TV critic was Howard Rosenberg, long before he went to LA. His writing was a big influence on mine because he was always readable, even if you weren't interested in the topic.

When I was 12, I started delivering both newspapers (they were both owned by the Bingham family). And in the afternoon I would read the paper while I delivered it. It was too dark in the morning.

I started working for a newspaper shortly after I went off to college and stayed with newspapers for almost 30 years. About four years ago, two years before I was laid off, I stopped reading the paper. I don't think it was the Internet. I think it was more the agenda of the editor of the San Antonio paper, which made his product irrelevant to my life. The slant of the paper was directed toward some conservative upper middle class white woman who spends half her life at the gym. They had also cut it down to that uncomfortable size to hold.

So, I rarely read the paper any more. I look at the Courier-Journal when I go to Louisville (the Times was killed off shortly after I went to college). But that's about it.

Courier used to have a reputation for being one of the best newspapers in the country. I don't know what it's rep is anymore. I tried to get it delivered to my house when I first moved here.  They would deliver daily in Lexington, but not where I lived in Georgetown, they wanted to charge me more and it would come by mail the following day.  Forget that.  Had a friend who wrote for the Times up until it folded.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »

It's going to cost around $12,000 to copy new scores and orchestra parts for Act One of Victor Herbert's 1917 operetta EILEEN. Now where the hell are those missing scores?

John G.

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2011, 02:43:56 PM »

LOL!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »

True DR RLP -

DR CP - my comment about out of business - mostly meant that as more and more newspapers come under NON LOCAL ownership and editorship - they lose their identities as MY newspaper......

The STAR is the only paper left in Indy.......

Here is a tidbit (at least locally) - Tuesday's newspaper is always the thinnest and carries fewer pages because that is the day that the Sunday supplements for the following weekend are also published....and the presses can only handle so much.

The problem with the Lex Herald-Leader is that it concentrates mostly on local news and there is no larger picture of what's going on in the world.  But that may be the only thing that keeps them alive as most of the national/international news that gets the day after you've read it on the web or seen it on TV.  But like others have said, I can usually whip through the paper in less than fifteen minutes...and not much longer on the Sunday rag.  One of the things I love about London when I'm there is that I can buy a half dozen weekend papers and they and their supplements will entertain me for hours.
I don't think England as a whole is as connected to the Internet as America is. It will be interesting to see how all of those papers do in the long haul. I remember going to Ireland and getting music CDs with copies of the Sunday paper, as an incentive to buy.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2011, 02:54:31 PM »

Courier used to have a reputation for being one of the best newspapers in the country. I don't know what it's rep is anymore. I tried to get it delivered to my house when I first moved here.  They would deliver daily in Lexington, but not where I lived in Georgetown, they wanted to charge me more and it would come by mail the following day.  Forget that.  Had a friend who wrote for the Times up until it folded.
When Gannett bought the Courier, it went from being a product of excellence to being a product that was meant only to make money. It still turns a profit, but it has to bolster other Gannett papers that are not doing well. As a result, it has had several rounds of layoffs and still generates money.

It, too, has gone more local than in the past, which is the only way to compete against the Internet. Nobody else is out there covering neighborhood news, except for the TV news stations, which specialize more in the wrecks on the freeway and the shootings and the lurid trials.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »

This has been a day.  Sometimes shocking, sometimes okay, sometimes annoying.  First of all, operating on two hours of sleep is not so wonderful for someone of my age.  Second of all, I knew this month was going to be a killer in terms of Kritzerland bills but I just got a look at my bank balance and it's pretty damn scary - and the month is only half through.  Today's release is helping, but I had to go to my big online dealer who is so far behind in paying invoices it's not even funny.  If I told you how much he owed Kritzerland your mouth would hit the floor, but on we go with a check a week - a decent check but paying like that puts me up against the wall every month because MY vendors need to be paid in full every month.  He is now six releases behind - so I asked him to please take care of at least one FULL invoice next week - he balked but then I came on strong and he's going to try his hardest to do so.  If he'll do that, I'll just squeak by this month without any major catastrophes.  I was going to announce a soundtrack and cast album together in two weeks, but I'm moving the cast album up to next Monday and if it does anywhere near as well as Gone With The Wind, that will be most helpful, too. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »

We got a lot shipped today and the rest goes out tomorrow.  I'm sending some music and a CD to our potential guest star and if she says yes it will be a most wondrous thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »

I have literally not stopped today.  And I had to grab a quick bite (matzo brei) because I won't be finished with all my stuff till eight.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up