Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HALF LOS ANGELES TIMES  (Read 12567 times)

FJL

Re: THE HALF LOS ANGELES TIMES
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 08:26:14 AM »

Pssst!  Is BK around?  Is he happy or unhappy with me?

Sounds like he's happy with you, unhappy without you!

FJL

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 08:27:22 AM »

Hmmm, sounds like a song title.  Or maybe should be.

Oh feh, per Google, it's already a song title or something like that.  :(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:29:23 AM by FJL »

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 08:31:25 AM »

I began reading the Medford Mail Tribune when I was in about the 3rd or 4th grade. Always looked forward to the Tempo in Friday's (or was it Thursday's) newspaper (the Tempo listed what was on TV the following week, along with movies playing at the theatre) and I would scout out what monster movies were playing over the weekend.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 08:31:45 AM »

Jrand I'm not sure that print papers are putting themselves out of business so much as the internet is putting them out of business and making them sadly obsolete.  Eventually, I suspect all will be operating online and there will be no physical paper.  some like The London Times and I believe the NY Times are now trying online subscriptions to access their pages.  As long as I can get the news for free online elsewhere, I'll not be subscribing online to a paper.  Interestingly, when recently in London, The Evening Standard was being passed out on the street for free.  The vendor said they could do this because of the advertising (But even the Standard wasn't quite the size and thickness, it used to be when you paid for it).

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 08:32:39 AM »

As a kid I can remember feeling guilty because I would be drawn to read the new stories of tragedy, death, and destruction.

Of course, now I know that is what sells newspapers.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:36:33 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 08:36:15 AM »

Now I subscribe to Salem's Statesman Journal. For a city that is the capitol of Oregon, it is a mighty small newpaper, often times as thin as a comic book, but it is the only paper in town.

I used to read The Oregonian (Portland's paper), but haven't in years. If The Oregonian would report about news in Salem, I would simply subscibe to it...but most of the time Portland newspapers and news stations act as if Salem does not exist. Not that I can blame them.

PS: Salem has no TV stations of it's own, if you can believe it.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 08:37:18 AM »

I have taken today off as a vacation day.

I am doing laundry.

FJL

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »

Fabulous blog, DR Pogue!

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 08:44:38 AM »

Back from Miami Valley Hospital South, where my echocardiogram was painless.  Of course, they don't tell you anything, results wise.  That's what my appointment with Dr. Jain 2 weeks from today is for.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:55:26 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 08:55:05 AM »

TOD - We still subscribe to the 2 newspapers that DR Elmore described, but I find myself not paying much attention to them.  I do leaf through each one, but don't depend on them for keeping up with the news.  The Cincinnati Enquirer has 2 crossword puzzles Monday-Saturday and I keep those in a folder, along with Sunday's and the one from each issue of The Week.  I work on those while others are watching TV and when we travel.  Most of my news comes from the internet and NPR.

The newspaper of choice when I was growing up was the Detroit Free Press, which I still read online a bit at freep.com. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »

TOD:

In Seattle growing up, there was the P-I, which no longer exists, and the Times.

In Los Angeles, as a publicist, I read "all" the papers, but subscribed to the Herald-Examiner & the Times at home. 

I continued to read the Times until I moved to Austin.

Like BK, when I was back in LA last year, I was shocked to see how much the dimensions of the paper had shrunk.

Here in Austin, I subscribe to the American-Statesman, but truthfully, there are days that I barely read it.

I get most of my news from TV or the Internet.

You can dream…or you can do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 09:12:26 AM »

Grew up reading The Greenville News (morning) and The Greenville-Piedmont (afternoon) newspapers.  Really liked them.  Greenville (SC) is a city, but not a large one.  It was a lot smaller in the mid-1950s when my family moved there, but it was a growing population.  Today it's nearly twice the population it was back then.  Even so, when I moved there it was large enough to have several high school rivalries, crosstown cultural events, etc.  If you didn't "know" the folks you were reading about, you had at least "heard" of them...or knew someone who had.   

I discovered The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (a Sunday paper) thanks to my grandparents.  I was fascinated that it had a whole section dedicated to "entertainment."  I grew up waiting for the critical assessments of Mr. Sam Lucchesi, its resident film critic, and enjoying the vast displays of movie ads and photos that were liberally sprinkled throughout. 

From there, I gravitated toward weekly Variety, which I'd pick up in the "one" (as in "singular") drug store in town that carried it -- Shaw's on North Main, near the SC National Bank Building (all are long gone now).

Courtesy of the library, I found the major newspapers...NY Times, in particular...well worth perusing.  I had the library save (from the trash bins) many issues of the times, especially the ones in which Mr. Bosley Crowther was reviewing a film in which I was interested, and carried home the entertainment sections from which I'd clip articles, photos, etc.

...the good old days, fer sure.

Oh, yes...I still get the Sunday edition of the San Francisco Chronicle.  I rarely remove it from the plastic.  Don't really like it much, but I feel it ought to "survive" to some extent.  They make it VERY cheap for me to get the Sunday edition at 1/10 the advertised annual rate.  I was alos a fan of the San Francisco Examiner (evening paper) in the 1980s, but it died for me in the arly 1990s even before it ceased it's "normal" publication.  It is now a city rag that bears no resemblance to what it had been (if, in fact, it is still being published).

I always loved the Datebook...the pink section.  All its focus on the arts and movies and music and TV was wonderful.  It's still pretty much that way, now, except that what passes for movies and music these days doesn't ring my bells.  I'm also not a fan of the major film critic, one Mr. Mick LaSalle.  He has his strengths, but I disagree with him more often than not.  Still, he does mention the music in films once in a while...and not just the song tracks...but the score proper.  Big plus.  When it happens.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:36:17 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »

I liked the afternoon Indianapolis Times when I was growing up - it ceased publication in 1966.....the afternoon Indianapolis News ceased publication in 2002....we now have the Indianapolis Star a morning paper....owned and run by Gannett.....which means MOST of what is in it is nationwide CRAP with abou six pages of local news.

The movie ads are almost nil - when they used to cover two pages, especially on weekends....

Yes print newspapers are putting themselves out of business.

I also deal with the Greencastle Banner-Graphic during the summer when I am working at the theatre....a nice paper that is published Tues-Sat.

I always thought the Indy Star was a decent newspaper.  That's when it was part of the Eugene C. Pulliam Central Newspapers, Inc., publishing empire.  I know the family made a mint from the sale to Gannett (the Pulliam estate owned 78% of the stock).

I had a two-week internship in the editorial offices of the Star back in 1980 (shortly after the presidential elections...mid-November).  It was very interesting.  Met Eugene Jr's son, Russ...wrote an editorial and suggested the subject matter for the Thanksgiving editorial cartoon.  I was very pleased with myself.  Was even told that if I chose to retire from the Navy while in Indianapolis that I should come a-knockin' cause they could use me.

At the time, it was a thrill....but being a non-related Pulliam in a Pulliam empire would not, I think, have been much fun.

Sigh.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »

Roslyn Kind in Clearwater

Roslyn Kind IS Clearwater

Roslyn Kind if Clearwater

Roslyn Kind IT Clearwater

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »

I have a jury summons this week for the Hayward Hall of Justice.   Happily, my group is not called for this morning.  I have to check in at 11 a.m. to see what the future might hold.

It's a gray, coldish, miserably rainy day here in Oaktown.  Something about the weather system has caused me to develop sinus pressure and it's not amusing to me one bit.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »

Bruce:

Am absolutely THRILLED by the latest Kritzerland announcement.  Newman is my all-time favorite composer (with Hugo Friedhofer and Franz Waxman in a tie for a very close second!).

Have long appreciated "The Counterfeit Traitor".

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »

All right.  I'm done flurrying.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2011, 09:34:09 AM »

True DR RLP -

DR CP - my comment about out of business - mostly meant that as more and more newspapers come under NON LOCAL ownership and editorship - they lose their identities as MY newspaper......

The STAR is the only paper left in Indy.......

Here is a tidbit (at least locally) - Tuesday's newspaper is always the thinnest and carries fewer pages because that is the day that the Sunday supplements for the following weekend are also published....and the presses can only handle so much.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2011, 09:35:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: BATTEN!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  TOO FAT POLKA

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2011, 09:38:22 AM »

I could go for a mess of fried okra for lunch.  With some fresh 'maters and fried chicken.

Oh, yes....

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »

I have a jury summons this week for the Hayward Hall of Justice.   Happily, my group is not called for this morning.  I have to check in at 11 a.m. to see what the future might hold.

It's a gray, coldish, miserably rainy day here in Oaktown.  Something about the weather system has caused me to develop sinus pressure and it's not amusing to me one bit.

DR Ron, if you get here, enjoy Hayward!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2011, 09:44:23 AM »

Good Afternoon!

...And my little break ended up turning into an impromptu nap. Ah, well.

Time to keep progressing.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2011, 09:59:28 AM »

Back from Miami Valley Hospital South, where my echocardiogram was painless.  Of course, they don't tell you anything, results wise.  That's what my appointment with Dr. Jain 2 weeks from today is for.

Ugh!  I dislike echocardiograms more than I do stress tests.  The technician always has me contort myself in uncomfortable positions on the table, telling me to hold my breath and not move a muscle while he jams the scope into my chest as painfully as possible.  And then there's the cold gel that's impossible to completely wipe off.  I rather run on the treadmill.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »

Yeah, DR Dan, the breath-holding part was tricky because my tech kept forgetting to tell me when I could breathe again.  And she had me turn on my left side and get so close to the edge of the table that I thought I was going to fall off.  But the gel was warm...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2011, 10:07:04 AM »

And...

I'm currently breathing a HUGE sigh of relief. I just called my storage place, and they reminded me that they include a free moving van with a driver with my move-in! So, the appointment has been made for tomorrow afternoon! -And I no longer have to worry about breaking down my friend's car with repeated trips between here and the storage unit tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2011, 10:12:03 AM »

And, once again...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »

From Cilla:
Maybe you should spring back and fall ahead.  That would really mess things up

;D

Jane

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »

What is it about 7 p.m. that makes it such a popular L.A. time for dinner  (residual question that i meant to ask last night)

By family usually made 7:00 dinner reservations.  When we visit them that is still the time they like to meet.   Keith and I prefer an earlier dinner.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »

Master food author and chef Michael Ruhlman included Skip's own recipe for Sourdough English Muffins in his column on making Eggs Benedict from Scrtach

At the link, you can Scroll down, Skip's recipe for the Sourdough English muffins is right under Marlene Newell's recipe for the Hollandaise.

http://ruhlman.com/2011/03/eggs-benedict-from-scratch.html

If I can find my english muffin rings I might give this a try.  I haven't made english muffins in 25 years.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:24:09 AM by Jane »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »

What is it about 7 p.m. that makes it such a popular L.A. time for dinner  (residual question that i meant to ask last night)

By family usually made 7:00 dinner reservations.  When we visit them that is still the time they like to meet.   Keith and I prefer an earlier dinner.

I think it's generational, DR Jane.  I remember we always had supper around 7 or 7:30 p.m. when I was growing up.  Both parents worked.  My mother would get home between 5:30 and 5:45 p.m.  She would then "start" supper.  Sometimes, supper was later if my father had to work late.  I'd like to say I remember that Saturday nights were different...that we often ate while it was still light out...but that, of course, was because what I'm remembering is that my father was grilling on Saturday nights in the summer...and it was still likely 7-7:30 when we ate.

My mom eats anywhere from 5:30 - 6 p.m. now.  Says she can't go to sleep if her stomach is full, and she needs at least four hours for her food to digest!!!

I am, I'm horrified to say, becoming like that myself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up