Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHIMMY SHAKE  (Read 28691 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE SHIMMY SHAKE
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2004, 02:33:36 PM »

Nice to know this. One learns something every day here at HHW.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2004, 02:38:33 PM »

Columbia also did a nice job on PICNIC!  Too bad Joshua Logan didn't!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2004, 02:39:53 PM »

Columbia has, except for a few strange exceptions, done stellar work.  Funny Girl looks faboo, the Harryhausens look terrific and on and on and on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2004, 02:40:33 PM »

Wow, how did that happen?  One more post and I personally will hit the 1700 Mark Bakalor.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2004, 02:49:26 PM »

Well, having seen everybody else's lists and checking out my cd cabinet...I do have several new musicals from the last ten years...stuff like Titanic, Parade, Scarlet Pimpernel, Floyd Collins, Passion (ln last ten years?), The Producers, etc.  Heard most of them, seen a few onstage...remember liking things in context, but don't recall a lot standing outside on its own.  Got the wife WICKED & BOY FROM OZ for Christmas.  We haven't played them yet.  Like NIGHT OF THE HUNTER a lot.  

One song I like alot is on the Hainse His Way album, The Sweetest of Nights and the Finest of Days...was the show it was from written in the last ten years?

I'm going to take a nap now.  I had to get up early to get my script off to The Powers That Be and then had a lunch with the wife and the business manager to find out we're doing just fine...we can go to London again this year...Had a lovely dish of penne bolagnesse at Sisley across the street from the Bus. Mgr's office.

Pete Rose was in there. I wanted to tell him I think that even though he's a pig of human being (I don't why everyone is so surprised to find out he bet on baseball.  What a revelation!),  he should still be in the Hall of Fame!  He was a great athlete and there are plenty of other louts, bigots, and ruffians enshrined in the Hall who were great ball players.  Why should Pete be left out?  How many times was Steve Howe forgiven and allowed back in the game for sticking cocaine up his nose?  A half a dozen?  Let's not be pious hypocrites.  Or be pious hypocrites, if you want.  You don't have to let him back in baseball (he was a lousy manager anyway...he was only great as a player), but put him the Hall.  There is no Hall of Fame without him.

But now I'm stuffed with pasta and have go see a heavy movie tonight (House of Sand and Fog), so I must nap.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2004, 02:51:09 PM »

Didn't Columbia do ANATOMY OF A MURDER? The box says the full frame aspect ratio is that of the original film, but that can't be right. It's a nice transfer, and I love the movie, but I wish they'd revisit it and redo (highly unlikely). Certainly aren't going to bad-mouth them when they've given so much. Couldn't LIVE without THE SOLID GOLD CADILLAC.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2004, 02:51:46 PM »

Sweetest of Days was written about four years ago, I think, so it definitely qualifies.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2004, 02:52:30 PM »

The more I watch BONJOUR TRISTESSE, the more I like it....what a good movie movie!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2004, 02:53:20 PM »

Anatomy was one of their screwups, as was Cowboy with Glenn Ford.  Both should be 1:85 and both are enhanced for widescreen TVs and in their proper ratio on the Columbia region 2 DVDs.  They both appear to be open matte, but the Anatomy open matte leaves far too much headroom in every shot.

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2004, 02:54:51 PM »

DR Noel wrote:
It seems some of you know about soap operas.  I don't, but I have a question:

The single most important person in creating the person I am today, my teacher, friend, and mentor John Ingle, was recently let go from his long-running role on, I believe, General Hospital.

Anyone know why?
And was his character killed, or what?

Well, I'm a CBS girl, but I checked this out for you.

It looks like he has been re-hired.

http://www.soapcentral.com/gh/news/2004/0105-ingle.php

« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 02:56:42 PM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2004, 02:56:46 PM »

Who but a film buff is going to want to buy ANATOMY OF A MURDER? Doing a full frame transfer frustrates the intended buying audience. Geez, you'd think they'd know this. Still, it looks and plays fine and using the least amount of stretch mode on my TV lops off enough of the top so that it looks just fine.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2004, 02:58:34 PM »

Robin's Pogo quote is also used in the article about Our Wedding - The Musical that can be found in this month's Dramatics.  Now, if only I could find this month's Dramatics.  You go into one of these magazine stores that boasts 50,000 different publications and they've never heard of it.  But the article, sans photos, can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sweet-gang/message/1187

BK is correct in triplicate.  Ingle taught at Hollywood High then Beverly High, and, I believe, also at LACC . . . but what's the deal with his leaving General Hospital?

I think we've heard some pretty good songs from shows over the past ten years, perhaps better than the previous ten, which is a good sign.  Like Charles Pogue, I like a show with a strong book, and we haven't had a lot of these.  Tom Meehan wrote two books that outshine their scores.  In both The Producers and Hairspray, I found myself smiling at songs, patiently waiting for the book - and the belly laughs - to return.

The art of songwriting is still alive.  The art of libretto-writting, not so much.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2004, 03:01:25 PM »

The nice thing about not having a real job (by that, I mean a nine-to-five job), I can watch TV in the middle of the day.  Decided to nap to TCM.  See that the "real" GOODBYE GIRL is going to be on Thursday.  Has anyone seen the "fake" GOODBYE GIRL yet?  Has it played yet?  I don't want to see it.  

"Why do they always remake our good films?  Why don't they remake our bad ones?"  John Huston

Jason

« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2004, 03:02:55 PM »

Quick post from MTI before I go to the Met (It's MADAMA BUTTERFLY tonight)...

Favorite theatre songs from the last ten years:

WICKED: "Defying Gravity," "Popular," and "The Wizard and I"
PARADE: "All the Wasted Time," "You Don't Know This Man," "Come Up to My Office"
LAST FIVE YEARS: "Still Hurting," "Summer in Ohio"
MILLIE: "Forget About the Boy"
HAIRSPRAY: "You Can't Stop the Beat," "Welcome to the Sixties," "Mama, I'm A Big Girl Now"
SUNSET BLVD.: "Sunset Blvd.," "With One Look"
SIDE SHOW: "She's Gone (cut)," "You Should Be Loved (This song was so much better seeing Norm Lewis do it than just hearing it on disc...he really was wonderful, even if the show wasn't.)"
RAGTIME: "Ragtime," "Your Daddy's Son," "Back to Before"
MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE: "The Streets of Dublin"
FULL MONTY: "You Walk With Me"
JANE EYRE (Yes, I actually liked one of the songs in that show): "Forgiveness"
JEKYLL AND HYDE (Can you believe it?): "I Need to Know (again, cut)"
SCARLET PIMPERNEL: "Into the Fire"
TITANIC: "We'll Meet Tomorrow," "Opening Sequence (The "Sail on, sail on..." section has some GREAT choral writing)," "Ladies' Maid"
URINETOWN: "Run, Freedom, Run"
DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES: "Vampires in Love (Total Eclipse of the Heart)," "Garlic!" (They still make me laugh...)
AMOUR: "Overture," "The Whore's Song"
A NEW BRAIN: "I Feel So Much Spring," "Sailing," "Eating Myself Up Alive"
THE WILD PARTY (Lippa): "The Juggernaut" (When Idina lets go, watch out!)
STEEL PIER: "Everybody's Girl"

Jennifer

« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2004, 03:05:48 PM »

I loved Jane Eyre!  Loved, loved loved the broadway version.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2004, 03:11:14 PM »

Who but a film buff is going to want to buy ANATOMY OF A MURDER?

The garment referred to is Mrs Mannion's panties.

Robin

« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2004, 03:13:14 PM »

Who but a film buff is going to want to buy ANATOMY OF A MURDER? Doing a full frame transfer frustrates the intended buying audience. Geez, you'd think they'd know this.

Strange...but Anatomy of a Murder was shot...guess where?...Michigan's Upper Peninsula, specifically Marquette, my home town, which is called "Iron City" in the movie.  It was shot there before I was born, but there are many familiar landmarks in the movie for moi.  

Jeff Daniels also wrote the stage play, and later a movie, called Escanaba in da Moonlight, which takes place in the U.P.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2004, 03:25:20 PM »

I have NO interest in the new version of THE GOODBYE GIRL. Again, a film that was in NO WAY in need of a remake.

These remakes actually make me kind of angry. Who thinks they're necessary, one wonders? I cannot get over why a talented filmmaker like Gus Van Sant would feel that there was any earthshaking need for a new color PSYCHO. And I read that this was a DREAM project of his? Huh? He had no original material that he had ALWAYS wanted to do a film of?

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2004, 03:33:05 PM »

Just wanted to mention that the ever luscious John Burke (from AMC) begins anchoring E! News Daily this week. I stopped watching the show when Steve Kmetko was let go, but I may tune in tonight to see how John does.

I have long adored John Burke and got his autograph when he was doing that wonderful show on the FX channel called Personal-FX...sort of a TV version of Ebay where people brought in their collectables and had them appraised and viewers could call in and bid on the items. I was addicted to that show!

When did he leave AMC? And when did Steve Kmetko leave E? I guess I just don't get out much!

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2004, 03:34:43 PM »

Steve has been gone more than a year. Not sure about John and AMC parting company since I don't watch AMC any more.

MBarnum

« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2004, 03:35:49 PM »

Thanks for the good vibes, Jane. Off to see Doris.

Panni, I hope that Ms. Dowling is doing well and that you had a very nice visit with her!

Also, congrats on the script!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2004, 03:47:53 PM »

My goodness, lots of perusers and visitors but I guess we couldn't keep up the insanity (a GOOD insanity) of last week forever.  Still, what's here is cherce, baby.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2004, 03:57:08 PM »

DR Panni, I didn't know Doris Dowling was looking for "The Party Crashers."  I believe I can do a little better than DR JR, as I think (right, JR?) that he got his copy from me.  So I can not only make a one-generation closer copy, I also have (don't tell anyone, OK?) a pristine print from a very famous film archive that may or may not be in your neck of the woods.  It does have a timecode caption, but the image is fantastic.  Let me know and I'm happy to dub a "double feature" (both versions) for you.

Is Doris Dowling related to Eddie Dowling?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2004, 03:59:50 PM »

P.S.  Since some people are bestowing vibes, I'd appreciate some.  I just found out today the Episcopal Church I Music Direct for is slashing everyone's salary over 20% due to so many people leaving the membership after the ordination of the gay bishop.  Can you believe it?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2004, 04:04:29 PM »

JMK - Many many good vibes to you!  I've followed that situation for quite some time and it saddens me that people who work hard in the church must suffer for the narrow-mindedness of others.  My mother directed music at our Episcopal church for 20 years, and they are fortunate to have right now a very wise and open minded pastor.  

JMK

« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2004, 04:09:11 PM »

Ann, our Priest is fantastic as is 95% of the congregation.  Unfortunately, the 5% who left radically affected the budget.  The good news is, no one has had to lose their jobs.  The bad news is, they had already promised me a raise for this year, so when you couple that with my new lower salary, I'm actually down about 40% from where I thought I'd be!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2004, 04:14:03 PM »

The bad news is, they had already promised me a raise for this year, so when you couple that with my new lower salary, I'm actually down about 40% from where I thought I'd be!

Ouch!!!  So very sorry...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2004, 04:14:47 PM »

Good afternoon! Good early evening!

Well, day two of my "project", and another box and two "piles" have bit the dust.  Now I just need to put the "keep" stuff back into one box - so that I can do my final sort and file later.  *I'd venture into the filing phase now, but since I'm heading up to NYC Wednesday morning, that part will just have to wait.  I also have at least eight other boxes and bags to go through... and that's just the stuff outside of my storage closet.  Ah, well... Progress is progress.

It was very amazing - in a not so amazing way - all the stuff I've kept - or at least never threw away.  My eyes are tired from reading all the various receipts - those thermal printed ones don't "hold" their print too well.  Besides some obvious business and tax deductions, the only other type of receipt I kept were my gas receipts.  ???  We'll see if they make it past the second phase.

*And does anyone know if it's worth keeping a couple years worth of Gourmet magazines?  -However, the new design, layout and features aren't sitting too well with me.  Getting a little too slick and glossy.  Glossy I don't mind; slick and glossy is a different story.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2004, 04:19:23 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~Good Vibes, to JMK!~~~~~[/move]

-And on the sunny side, at least you're not Catholic ;-)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 04:20:49 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2004, 04:21:49 PM »

--Whew!  No lightning strike... yet...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up