Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SICK OF SANDWICHES  (Read 16829 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SICK OF SANDWICHES
« on: August 07, 2004, 12:00:29 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've sandwiched the notes, you've gleaned the most important bits of the notes, and now you are ready to post until the sandwiched cows come home.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 12:00:36 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SICK OF SANDWICHES
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 12:04:23 AM »

Hey, BK - You forgot to mention that Coconut "Frosting-Cake" you had earlier from the cafe next door...

Dee-lish?

Not.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 12:23:46 AM »

Hmmm... Crackers...

All those various Nabisco crackers were some of the culinary highlights from my youth.  There would always seem to be a nice assortment of them at picnics and other family gatherings.  Chicken in a Biscuit (or Chik'n in a Biskit, or some other morphed spelling of it), Vegetable Thins, Sociables (my introduction to the poppy seed), Swiss Cheese, Bacon and Cheddar (? - something like that), etc..  Oh, and, of course, you had to have a can or two of the spray cheese to go with the crackers!

*Hmm... I just checked the Nabisco site - and the Kraft food site - and the cracker brands don't seem to be a featured on them.  Hmmm...

And then Wheat Thins came out... I can still picture Sandy Duncan standing in the wheat fields.... And my cousin saying to me, "You know, she has a glass eye." ;)

And Triscuits have always been a favorite - and quite addictive.

However, I can tell they have made the crackers more "healthy" over the years.  I bought some Chicken in a Biskit and Swiss Cheese crackers a few weeks ago - they were on sale - and they just didn't tast the same - like I had remembered.

Oh, and then there were those Cheese Stix (?) too!

I also like those Rice and Sesame crackers in all their various flavor incarnations.  And there are also a few companies that make "bite-size" papadums.  I like those too when I can find them.

And those Wasabi Rice Crackers...

And...

And...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 12:26:40 AM »

Oh, yes, and that grotesque coconut cupcake thing - all frosting practically and the most sickeningly sweet thing I've ever eaten.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 12:30:40 AM »

To me "crackers" are fireworks. They have been banned in this state (for sale to the general public) for over 30 years.  "Crackers" is also the same as "Nuts" -  that is, crazy!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 12:32:10 AM »

OH! I finally found the info on the Kraft Foods web-site...

The proper spelling is "Chicken In A Biskit"

And the rest of the "Flavor Originals" line consists of:
Twigs - Sesame and Cheese Snack Sticks
Swiss Cheese (Baked Snack Crackers)
Better Cheddars (Baked Snack Crackers)
Sociables (Baked Savory Snack Crackers)
Vegetable Thins (Baked Snack Crackers)
Bacon (Baked Snack Crackers)

*Of course, the nutritional info is also available for the products on the website... Hmmm...  If they have "healthied up" their recipes, I can't imagine what they were like originally?!?!

Oh, and I guess there's also Graham Crackers too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 12:34:50 AM »

Well.. I have rehearsal in about 10 hours, so....

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 03:23:32 AM »

Oooops! (spoo!) Fell asleep and didn't come back. That's what you get for lying down for a short rest at 11 PM.
Crackers: Triscuit, Cheez-Its, English water crackers. Will think of more in the morning. Should get back to bed.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 03:33:36 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO DR ELMORE!!![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO DR ELMORE!!![/move]

Ben

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 04:18:47 AM »

My best wishes and vibes to DR Elmore. If you need something sir, call me. You know where I am. I'm actually at work right now (Saturday morning at 7am, been here since 6am) but let me know what I can do and I'll pop uptown.

Francois, that's so wonderful about Tom Sawyer. I have the vinyl and thought I would need to transfer it to CD at some point. I really loved that movie when I first saw it (haven't seen it for years, I don't know if it's even out on any media).

Well, as much as I would like to post all morning, I must get to work. That's why I'm here and will be through October. But at least I can pop in easily now.

Laters (to quote a certain DR in CA via VA)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 04:47:34 AM »

Good morning!  Sounds like WHAT IF is coming along nicely!  Can hardly wait to see photos of a dress rehearsal!!

Congratulations DRPANNI on the success of your Telly Program!!  Whew how gratifying it must be.  I haven't read any reviews where anyone didn't say nice positive things.  AND it was NOT an easy subject!

WB DRJASON.  We will be doing PIPPIN next year and I will send my application to YOU.

MBARNUM - love means never having to say KHWAHISH.

DRJANE - loved your RV story, and how appropriate to see TLLT....LOL...was DRKEITH singing that song from CARMEN as he drove?  And yes, Jean Hagen (who deserved an Oscar for Singin' In the Rain) was a fine actress.  She did some terrific stuff at MGM in the early 50's.  Danny Thomas wrote in his book (ax, ax, ax) - that Jean got the part because she was a "favorite" of Robert Kintner of ABC.  He was incensed that she would come to rehearsal in sloppy clothes and hair curlers - he also thought she acted like she was slumming on TV.  Too bad because they made a neat TV couple.  Of course, I love Marjorie Lord as Kathy - but she has that horrible habit (like later Debra Messing) of pulling her mouth down at the corners when she says something she thinks is so funny....stage accent....of course Messing is the WORST offender on tv today.  When Jean wanted out - Danny decided to kill her character off...and he writes that the power of television was so great MANY MANY people thought Jean Hagen was dead.....I did!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 04:49:07 AM »

Jean Hagen held her own in THE ASPHALT JUNGLE along with Sterling Hayden, Louis Calhern, and Sam Jaffe!  ;D

Ben

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 05:21:08 AM »

Hi, Tom. Just popping in to see the early morning (late day on the other side of the world) denizens.

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 05:23:46 AM »

Just watched "Maylering". I remember being disappointed when I first saw it so many years ago. It could have been so good - nothing a new script, different actors, better use of music and a new director couldn't fix. One of those definite "no chemistry" movies.  I should track down the earlier version.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 05:24:55 AM »

Good morning Ben.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2004, 06:33:37 AM »

Yes, I do hope DR Elmore feels better. Nothing makes me more miserable than back problems. They make it hard to breathe, hard to sleep, hard to move really, and for me the times my back has gone out on me were slow to get better, too. And his sound infinitely more serious than mine have ever been.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2004, 06:36:05 AM »

Several weeks ago, I mentioned that I often have been known to eat cereal out of the box for a snack. I've done this since childhood, and I've never lost my fancy for this kind of snacking. Of the cereals that I most enjoy doing that with are raisin bran and shredded wheat.

So, it should come as no surprise that my favorite cracker is Triscuit. I don't buy them because I can go through a box of them in a day. But when they're served at a party on a platter with various cheeses, I'm afraid I quickly overdose on them.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 06:38:45 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2004, 06:37:50 AM »

In addition to finally watching THE ITALIAN JOB today, I have also selected Disney's ROBIN HOOD, probably the last of the old (pre-LITTLE MERMAID) Disney animated movies I've never watched. I've never read much good about it, but I'm curious to gauge my reaction just the same.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2004, 07:05:21 AM »

Has any DR seen Annette in Escapade in Florence or The Horsemasters?  I have seen the latter - but not for many years, but have NEVER seen Escapade - filmed in Italy and co-starring Tommy Kirk!

MATTH I meant to add my vote to yours for the GYPSY soundtrack overture!

Crackers - yes Chiken in a Bisket, Bacon Flavor crackers, and of course Ritz Crackers!  

Ritz Crackers with spray cheese!  I also like something called Keebler's Club Crackers.  They are yellow and square....and you can make a chicken salad sandwich with them that is very good!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2004, 07:17:54 AM »

Just watched "Maylering". I remember being disappointed when I first saw it so many years ago. It could have been so good - nothing a new script, different actors, better use of music and a new director couldn't fix. One of those definite "no chemistry" movies.  I should track down the earlier version.

But...weren't Catherine Deneuve and Ava Gardner  absolutely luminously beautiful in this film!!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 07:31:49 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2004, 07:19:00 AM »

I adore "Club" crackers ("Biscuits"...or "bikkies"...to our Anglican/Aussie friends)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 07:20:25 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2004, 07:29:44 AM »

I remember eating so many Chicken in a Biskit crackers as a kid that I got to the point I couldn't eat them any more. One taste and I'd get ill. Sometimes too much of a good thing ISN'T a good thing.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2004, 07:30:16 AM »

Whatever shall I do today?  I'm hoping its productive, but a bit low-key.  It's supposed to get hot today.  We haven't had "hot" weather here since May.

My activities yesterday (I took the day off):  From 7:30-10:15 a.m. I was at the dentist being prepped for two (count em TWO) crowns.  Prior to going there, I dropped off some clothing at my favorite cleaners.  Afterwards, I came home, stripped my bed and  began washing sheets, and later clothing.  I watched "LOTR:ROTK" for the fourth time! I had a short nap.  I remade my bed, took a shower, and then enjoyed an evening of "Stargate."  I shall endeavor to catch "Tiger Cruise" tonight.

DR Panni:  I experienced/worked three Tiger Cruises in my Navy years....two on board USS Carl Vinson and one on board USS Kitty Hawk.  The norm (in the Pacific Fleet) is for these cruises to follow a Western Pacific tour (normally six months or more, including spending a couple of months in the Persian Gulf).  We always picked up our "Tigers" in Hawaii and enjoyed a leisurely return to the U.S.  Each crewmember's "tiger" eats, sleeps and goes to work with his sponsor (although I see now that includes females.  When I left the Navy at the end of 1993, it was open to male family members only).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2004, 07:34:38 AM »

I have my Deanna Durbin franchise collection, my "Back to the Future" trilogy, plus about two dozen (or more) "other" DVDs yet unwatched (including the bulk of the Disney tins, all of which I've collected).

I need a couple of months of nothing to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2004, 08:02:40 AM »

Speaking of the Disney tins, I was very distressed to read that the True-Life Adventure tin, scheduled for release at year-end with Mickey in Black and White Vol. 2, The Mickey Mouse Club, and The Complete Pluto, has been either postponed or canceled.  :(

Danise

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2004, 08:02:48 AM »

Morning, All!

Good Vibes to DR Elmore and to RLP for the TWO (!) crowns!  I feel for both your teeth and your wallet!

I just went for my post crown follow up.  I had to have it adjusted but it's doing ok.  Funny how when you first get something new in your mouth you can't keep your tongue from it.  

Hummm, regarding the sandwiches.  Sounds like the whole crew could use a good home cooked meal.  What you need is a pot luck dinner.  Everyone could bring one home made dish and you all could enjoy a wonderful home cooked meal together.   :)

Well, I'm off to do the weekly shopping for dog food, people food, etc.  Can't wait to get my Jean-Luc Picard Collection at  Best Buy.  I'm looking forward to seeing The Inner Light again.  A tear jerker for me, to be sure, but I still like it.

I may even pick the Sliders  Season 1 & 2 collection.

Talk with you all later.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2004, 08:03:51 AM »

Good morning, all!  Thank you for the good vibes and wishes.  All I ask is that you keep them coming for at least the next three days, at which point I'll have a hopefully better assessment to myback and hip problems.

DR Panni, once again, your screenplay was quite moving and evocative, and I thought it not only showed the events and effects of 9/11 through a younger generation's eyes, but that it also showed grace, dignity, and appreciation to chains of command and authority, no easy task.

My mother, in her passive-aggressive approach to housekeeping, always kept boxes of Nabisco crackers around during my childhood:  cheese-flavored, bacon-flavored, as well as Saltines, Triscuits, and Ritz.  By the time I moved to New York in 1979, her attitude and depression had solidified into apathy, and food in our house was a catch-as-catch-can ordeal.  I usually keep saltines around for soup or with cheese, but I'm quite fond of something I believe is called stoned-wheat, whatever that means.

Yesterday's TOD was the media alert, and I had no plan of attack.  I did listen all day to Mr Guy Haines' "Kritzer Time" CD and Mr Haines' fabulous CD "Haines His Way," a familiar nomenclature.  Last night I watched TIGER CRUISE and then, in honor of DRs Tomovoz and Francois de Paris, I watched a video of the Australian Ballet performing Leo Delibes' ballet COPPELIA.  It was the perfect close of the day.

Today, I am dining with DRs td and Michael Shayne at Joe Allen's, and I believe DRBen will join us.  Today is Ben's anniversary with Anthony, who's out clowning in Long Island.  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DRBEN!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2004, 08:26:40 AM »

What time are you guys at Joe Allen's.  I'm rehearsing near there and could possibly poke my head in.

Since I never buy crackers, but often enjoy the cheese plate when I'm a party guest, I don't know the name of the cracker I favor.  It's round, and a little darker brown than most, has a somewhat different texture than most, and it slightly sweeter.  You could eat it plain and take it for a not-so-sweet cookie.  Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

People rarely do.

And, until today, I'd never heard of Chicken in a Biskit.  Sounds pretty gross to me, but what's in a name?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2004, 08:38:04 AM »

I love me my:

Wheat Thins
Vegetable Thins
Ritz Crackers
and most importantly: Breton Crackers

Mmmmm... cheese....
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

William E. Lurie

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2004, 09:01:35 AM »

My all time favorite cracker used to be part of the "Flavors Original" line listed above by Jose but was discontinued many years ago.  It was called "Chippers" and it was a potato chip cracker... it tasted like a potato chip but was round and hard like a cracker.

As good as she always was, Jean Hagen was at her ultimate best as Lina Lamont... "and I cain't stan' dim".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up