Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NOW IS THE TIME  (Read 14824 times)

Danise

Re:NOW IS THE TIME
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2004, 06:41:57 PM »

Just got my orders that it's time for bed.  Bear came out and looked at me like, "Well, it's time!"  

See ya'll tomorrow!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2004, 06:45:42 PM »

DAN IN TORONTO:  read your email!!

JMK: read yours

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2004, 07:07:56 PM »

For the studio to go to the trouble of placing that insert into DVDs of DARBY, Disney must have been sent a boatload of complaints about the aspect ratio of the film once it was announced months ago that it was going to be a full frame release. The film was most definitely shot for theatrical distribution.

So, have you watched it yet, DR RLP? How did it look? Did you think there was too much head room or were the sides cropped and the people in the frame looking cramped?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2004, 07:11:50 PM »

THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED certainly looked good, a lovely transfer. But brother is this movie a talk fest of not aprticularly interesting talk. I guess after seeing almost all of Tennessee Williams' great ladies on the screen prior to the release of this film, Natalie Wood's Alva seems like warmed-over Southern mush. She and Redford look simply smashing, but neither does a very good Southern accent, and the film ends up seeming to be much ado about nothing.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2004, 07:12:44 PM »

I went to the Antiques Road Show a few years ago. They didn't give out tickets at that time; you just showed up and waited in line. I stood in line a full EIGHT HOURS before getting to the appraisers. They were not impressed with my items.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2004, 07:16:41 PM »

I wanted to wait to get confirmation from the horse's mouth (so to speak--no offense intended) before posting here, but here is one of the mind-blowing synchronicities from last night's NW HHW gathering:

Dan-in-Toronto's cousin is Betsy's and my Rabbi here in Portland!!  I've known Dan's cousin for probably 20+ years, and Betsy and I have been members of his congregation (which is relatively new) for the past several years.  Betsy is in fact on the Temple Council and several committees with Dan's cousin!!  Isn't that unbelievable?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2004, 07:18:30 PM »

Have no clue what I'm going to watch tomorrow, but I'd like it to be something light. Someone the other day mentioned watching one of Marilyn Monroe's early films where she played a supporting role. I have one of those left: LOVE NEST, and I may choose that.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2004, 07:34:09 PM »

I wanted to wait to get confirmation from the horse's mouth (so to speak--no offense intended) before posting here, but here is one of the mind-blowing synchronicities from last night's NW HHW gathering:

Dan-in-Toronto's cousin is Betsy's and my Rabbi here in Portland!!  I've known Dan's cousin for probably 20+ years, and Betsy and I have been members of his congregation (which is relatively new) for the past several years.  Betsy is in fact on the Temple Council and several committees with Dan's cousin!!  Isn't that unbelievable?

And from the horse (none taken): Yes, it is an amazing coincidence. BTW, we have DR ("I have always been a woman who arranges things") Jane to thank for making the connection at the HHW Pacific Northwest gathering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2004, 07:55:23 PM »

I've got a question I'm curious about, too.

Is there any movie star, past or present, that you've never been a big fan of. For me the question is easy: Gary Cooper.

I think I mentioned this before on here, but for me that would be Marilyn Monroe.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2004, 08:09:17 PM »

All together now:

It's a small world after all.
It's a small, small world.

You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2004, 08:12:14 PM »

Jay, I may need to come down to LA and kill you now.  :)  (This from a parent who has survived multiple--and I do mean multiple, mind-numbingly multiple--trips through that ride).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jay

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2004, 08:24:45 PM »

I went to see Mean Creek today, Dear Readers.  This is a new film written and directed by Jacob Aaron Estes (someone I've not heard of before.)

The crux of the story involves an act of revenge on a schoolyard bully and how children and teenagers (and one adolescent on the verge of adulthood) respond to a trying situation.  (I've seen the film referred to in the press as a "morality tale.")  The tension level is set high early in the film and is sustained throughout.  

Although Estes could have easily slipped into writing and/or directing the film's subjects as unidimensional stock characters, he in fact provides each role with considerable dimension and complexity.

The two actors playing the youngest characters, Rory Culkin and Carly Schroeder, do a rather amazing job.  Scott Mechlowicz, as the incipient adult, stands out as well.

Jay

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2004, 08:30:16 PM »

Jay, I may need to come down to LA and kill you now.  :)  (This from a parent who has survived multiple--and I do mean multiple, mind-numbingly multiple--trips through that ride).

I know we don't allow groaning at www.haineshisway.com, but I wonder if premeditated murder is acceptable behavior here.  Hmmm.  We'll have to check with Dear BK when he returns from the Mesa of Costa.

And by the way (BTW in internet lingo), Dear Reader JMK, had you come to the opening of What If?  A Musical Revue, you could have met half the team that created that charming ditty and thanked him for the immeasurable pleasure it has brought you and your family.

;)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2004, 08:48:02 PM »

Finished writing for the day a little while ago. Celebrated by eating peanuts in the shell with tons of salt.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2004, 09:40:50 PM »

The NW HHW gathering sounds wonderful, and everyone looks great in the pictures!  Thanks for posting about it.

I am still recovering from quite a scare that occured a few hours ago.  My sister and I were sitting on a ledge near Lincoln Center reading various free newspapers when a boy (probably about nine years old) ran over and shoved an enormous live rat right in my face.  I screamed and tried to run, but this damn kid kept shoving the rat at me, trying to touch me with it.  My sister and I ran, shouting obscenities all the way, for about half a block while being chased by this kid and and his rat til I realized that I had forgotten my purse and went back to get it.  At this point, I gave up on shouting obscenities at the child and turned my attentions to his mother, who stood there looking terribly amused by her horrible child who likes to play with dirty rodents and use them to terrorize people.  I know that I over-reacted, but I was in a bad mood to start and nothing is as scary as the prospect of being touched by a rat.  ::Shudders::

I need to thank the wonderful BK, because I just realized that he produced my all time favorite CD, the Trotter Trio "Follies" jazz CD!  And then I realized that the Trotter Trio made many Sondheim jazz CDs that were produced by none other than our own BK!  So thank you, oh wonderful Bruce, for producing some of the greatest CDs I've ever heard. :)
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2004, 10:00:41 PM »

I guess I should cheerlead or something - although I may soon retire from this job - I'm just not the cheerleader type, folks. Anyway, a last hurrah and cisscoombah (sp?) and all that. Let's get going and post so we don't have a -- shudder-- ATL!

Jay

« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2004, 10:07:44 PM »

I guess I should cheerlead or something - although I may soon retire from this job - I'm just not the cheerleader type, folks. Anyway, a last hurrah and cisscoombah (sp?) and all that. Let's get going and post so we don't have a -- shudder-- ATL!

Come now, Dear Reader Panni.  I have seen your pompoms and they are quite fine.

;D

Jay

« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2004, 10:13:53 PM »

I have done the Sunday evening drive from Orange County.  There's nothing quite as pleasurable as sitting in bumper to bumper traffic at 11:30 at night, which is precisely the experience Dear BK is about to have.  I therefore can guarantee that he will be delayed beyond his usual midnight cut-off, providing us more time to boost the post count.  Or post duke.  Or post earl.  Or even post duke of earl.  

What the hell am I talking about?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2004, 10:19:26 PM »

Okay, I was able to download onto my computer the few pictures that I took yesterday.  Here's the first (and I think, the best):
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2004, 10:20:41 PM »

I love the artwork behind us!  Was it Betsy's mother who made it?  (Betsy is Jeff's wife).  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2004, 10:22:22 PM »

I have done the Sunday evening drive from Orange County.  There's nothing quite as pleasurable as sitting in bumper to bumper traffic at 11:30 at night, which is precisely the experience Dear BK is about to have.  
The only difference is that bk has a driver and can relax. Also, I believe the show starts earlier on a Sunday, so the drive may not be an 11:30 one.
All of this to say that we have a finite amount of time to avoid the dreaded ATL. Cissboombah.

George

« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2004, 10:23:07 PM »

Speaking of, here's Betsy and BG the licking dog:

Panni

« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2004, 10:24:22 PM »

Come now, Dear Reader Panni.  I have seen your pompoms and they are quite fine.
 ;D

Gee, thanks, DR Jay.

George

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2004, 10:24:56 PM »

I had to reduce all of these pictures to one quarter the original size!  And the Betsy and BG picture was real dark.  I hope it's not too distorted by me lightening it up a bit.

George

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2004, 10:32:38 PM »

Here's the mug from my sister's ex-in-laws:

George

« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2004, 10:34:13 PM »

Here's the Foster Hall Reproductions in the case that I brought:

Jay

« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2004, 10:34:52 PM »

Ta

Jay

« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2004, 10:35:08 PM »

Ra

Jay

« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2004, 10:35:19 PM »

Boom

Jay

« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2004, 10:35:30 PM »

Dee-Yay
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up