Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND  (Read 19241 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND
« on: December 12, 2004, 12:04:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've gone round like a circle in a spiral like a wheel within a wheel, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home from the windmills of their minds.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 12:00:14 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 12:10:33 AM »

I have no questions, I have no answers. But I quite liked the windmilly zaniness of the Notes. Sort of matches my mood tonight. And on that note (b-flat) I shall say good-night and try to slow down the whirling windmills of MY mind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 12:14:11 AM »

WEHT WEHT WEHT (that is three WEHTs), that's whet we want to know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 12:36:39 AM »

Welcome eight GUESTS.  We're talkin' about anything.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 12:45:24 AM »

Oh, dear. You're watching Testament? That film disturbed me so much that I  haven't slept a wink since. I clearly remember the impressive and gut-wrenching performance of young Lucas Haas. Watch for Mako, the original reciter in Pacific Overtures. Oh, and so pleased to hear that your book signing went well!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 01:37:22 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, it looks like I've made the adjustment back to "show mode" since I seem to be still a bit bright-eyed and bushy-tailed right now, and it's already 4:00AM!?!?!

I still have to set my alarms, however.  I always have this fear that I'm going to sleep through a matinee.  It's never happened.  And it never will.  Never!  Got that?!?!?

-Oh, "Never" - I always like playing that song from On the Twentieth Century especially if the singer has the right amount of slightly-disturbing off-kilterness to pull it off correctly.  -Although, why she would want to pull anything off is a mystery to me?

In other news... I think I'm also up since I had quite the post-show snack - there was just all that food sitting out waiting to be consumed, so I consumed.  I don't have an upset stomach, but I'm definitely full.
Make Your Own Luck.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 01:50:24 AM »

Hey, Jose-
I just want to say hi-I love it when other people on the East Coast are up as late as I am. Tell Gerry McIntyre that he is the best dance instructor that PSA has ever had.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 01:57:47 AM »

In Jose-Is-New-York-Bound News...

-I sort of alluded to this the other day... I received a phone call from one of the guys in John Miller's office in New York.  John Miller is one of the big two - well, there is a third, it's still up and coming - contractors for Broadway shows and tours.  They take care of hiring the orchestra members for the shows.  He was checking to see if I was available to sub in for Movin' Out here in DC next week on the synth book.  Alas, due to Hallelujah, Baby!, I had to turn him down.  Then two nights later, I received a call from the conductor of Movin' Out again asking if I was available.  Again, I had to turn him down, but he mentioned that he got my name and number from the New York office.

So... I'm already on file in the New York office!

People literally beg to get on file with John Miller.  There was even a letter in the Musicians' Union newsletter last year from a slightly puzzled musician who just could not seem to "break in" to Miller's office.  He offered to audition, he offered to come in for an interview, he sent in his resume and a tape, but still no response.  And for "us" in the know, the letter was/is kind of funny.  The only way to get into Miller's files is to be recommended by someone, usually a conductor.  So... Now I'm wondering who recommended me?  I have my suspicions, but it would be really nice to know.  I did get a call from the office when I was called in to sub for Beauty & the Beast, but I think I was referred by one of the contractors in DC since the original sub was not available.

I also went ahead and e-mailed the contact I have with Mamma Mia!, to see if she could get me on the sub list for the Broadway production since I sub in for their Second National tour from time to time.  Well, it turns out the Broadway company is not handled by her office, rather it is contracted by... -you guessed it -  Miller Music Services, and that she'd be more than happy to give them a call once I get up there to inform them of my previous experience with the show and my availability.  Oh, and the office I'm speaking of is the "up and comer", Music Services International.  They're handling the tour of the Theatre Deaf West Big River.  -Which I happened to play auditions for last week here in DC... :)  They contract a couple of other things, but their current brass ring is the incoming Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  -Or Chitty Chitty BANK BANK as some actors I know are already calling it.  ;)

Oh, and I'm already on file with the other big contractor in town, Keller.  -I'm drawing a blank on the first name right now.  Keller contracted for AIDA, and since I played two months in DC...

So... Now I just need to get my housing in order, and I'll be all set!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 01:58:31 AM »

Hey, Jose-
I just want to say hi-I love it when other people on the East Coast are up as late as I am. Tell Gerry McIntyre that he is the best dance instructor that PSA has ever had.

Will do!  Will he know you by name?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 02:02:30 AM »

YIKES!  Is it really already 5:00AM!?!?!?!  Hmmm.. I have a matinee in nine hours!  And it's a two show day too!  Hmm...

Btw, "The Windmills of My Mind" was the first song I learned during my one semester in my high school's jazz band!  It sounded so groovy on that Rhodes!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 02:07:59 AM »

Now I just have to decide whether or not to head back to Richmond tonight (Sunday) after the show.  I still have to question my parents about the specifics about my father's surgery on Monday, but I also know that if I stay here, I won't really be able to "do" anything initially.  And from a practical standpoint, if I don't head back to Richmond tonight - to get my mail, check to see if my roommate burned out any of my other small appliances, etc. - I won't be able to head back until Christmas Eve due to performances.

I could head back tonight, and then back up Monday evening... and head right to the hospital to see my father in recovery.  Or...

???

Again, I just need to find out exactly is going on this week.  I'll see what my Mom says - or doesn't say - in the morning and go from there.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2004, 02:10:33 AM »

like a circle in a spiral
like a wheel within a wheel
never ending or beginning
on an ever spinning reel
like a snowball down a mountain
or a carnival balloon
like a carousel that’s turning
running rings around the moon

like a clock whose hands are sweeping
past the minutes of its face
and the world is like an apple
whirling silently in space
like the circles that you find
in the windmills of your mind !

like a tunnel that you follow
to a tunnel of its own
down a hollow to a cavern
where the sun has never shone,
like a door that keeps revolving
in a half forgotten dream,
or the ripples from a pebble
someone tosses in a stream

like a clock whose hands are sweeping ....

keys that jingle in your pocket
words that jangle in your head
why did summer go so quickly ?
was it something that you said ?
lovers walk along a shore
and leave their footprints in the sand

is the sound of distant drumming
just the fingers of your hand ?
pictures hanging in a hallway
and the fragment of this song
half remembered names and faces
but to whom do they belong ?

he: when you knew
that it was over
you were suddenly aware
that the autumn leaves were turning
to the color
of her hair !

she: when you knew
that it was over
in the autumn of goodbyes
for a moment
you could not recall the color
of his eyes !

like a circle in a spiral
like a wheel within a wheel
never ending or beginning
on an ever spinning reel

as the images unwind
like the circles
that you find
in the windmills of your mind !

Lyrics by Alan & Marilyn Bergman
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 06:24:31 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2004, 02:14:52 AM »

Oh...

And I still have the two tickets for the Opening Night of Hallelujah, Baby! available for this Thursday night.  I know it's a trek for our Delaware Denizens, but if DRs SwishySarah and company happen to be reading and lurking...

If it helps, I have two words for you:

Arthur Laurents

And if those two words don't do it for you, try these:

Free Food

And if those two words still don't do it for you, well...:

Open Bar

;)

-Seriously, if anyone would like to come Thursday night, just PM me.  I have some other "feelers" out, so it's first-come, first-served.  And, yes, Mr. Laurents will be in attendance, as will the widow Styne.  And there will be free food and an open bar.  ;)

However, if any DR would like to see the show later in the run - we close February 13 - I'd be more than happy to set up house seats for you.  Alas, no comps, but nice seats.

-And for more information, just check out http://www.arenastage.org
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2004, 02:16:21 AM »

Well, this now concludes our broadcasting day... And my mini-frenzy as well...

Goodnight

-I'll be back in a few hours...

Laters..
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004, 02:18:56 AM »

Don Quixote: Dost not see? A monstrous giant of infamous repute whom I intend to encounter.
Sancho Panza: It's a windmill.
Don Quixote: A giant. Canst thou not see the four great arms whirling at his back?
Sancho Panza: A giant?
Don Quixote: Exactly.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2004, 06:25:12 AM »

It is more than 4 hours since someone posted. Where is everyone???
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2004, 07:43:17 AM »

I didn't make it back on-line after I finally got home last night. Enjoyed catching up on yesterday's posts this morning.

We had a grand final performance - our largest audience of the run and the most enthusiastic. It was especially gratifying for me since the matinee audience had sat mostly in silence at my long, long monologue that's filled with jokes that just weren't landing with them. Last night, the audience wouldn't stop laughing, and I had to pause and stall constantly for the laughter to subside enough to continue. How great for a final performance!

We had a party after the show, and that's why it was too late and I was too exhausted to get on the internet when I finally got home. I just fell into bed.

I adored doing NUNCRACKERS and it was a marvelous experience I won't soon forget. But am I EVER glad it's over! I'm ready to become a couch potato for a LONG period of time. My house is a wreck from neglect, I have stacks of mail, DVDs, that need attending, and I'm physically exhausted. I need a long, long period of just puttering around the house and doing nothing if I don't feel like doing it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2004, 07:48:18 AM »

Some comments from yesterday's posts:

Loved the pics of you and your buddies, DR MBarnum. Looks like you had a great breakfast celebration.

Happy to read of your continued success in SCROOGE, DR TCB. For a performer, nothing beats knowing that you nailed a performance.

DR td: You may have mentioned it when you got back from NYC recently, but I don't remember. Did you give us your opinions on PACIFIC OVERTURES? I saw that you had it as one of your top shows of 2004, but what in particular did you think of the production? BD Wong? the use of women in roles that were previously played by men? Again, if you commented on these things before, I apologize. I just don't remember reading anything about it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2004, 08:17:41 AM »

On PACIFIC OVERTURES for DR Matt H:

B. D. Wong brought a much-needed sense of humor to the piece; I had read the book again just befor heading to NYC and was struck by the fact that it truly is a musical COMEDY with serious moments - there is humor there (Chrysanthemum Tea, Welcome to Kanagawa) in the song score which has always come through, but for the book's humor to work a fleet of foot actor and voice is needed for The Reciter.
Having never seen a production of PACIFIC OVERTURES, the use of women didn't bother me so much; but I was struck by how concise, humorous and moving "A Bowler Hat" can be when staged as effectively as it was here.
Sondheim contributed NEW LYRICS (!) to "Welcome to Kanagawa" (the "that you'll have to bend for.  ." sections) which lack the homur of the original lyrics.
The staging of "Please Hello" is a triumph of stage imagery, with Abe being the center of a pinwheel of flags. . .and speaking of flags, the US flag which drapes Studio 54's cieling can only be seen effectively from the upper level (which is where we were).
The one thing I truly didn't like:  the seats in the mezzanine have virtually no leg room for someone who stands 6'2"!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2004, 08:48:27 AM »

Good Morning!

Hmm... It feels like I was just here...

;)

And now I have to get ready for the matinee...

But first -

DR td - I remember the staging of "A Bowler Hat" from the Kennedy Center, and I understand the director has maintained the same staging for the current production.  Yes, amazingly effective.  And the sense of time passing was perfectly captured and not forced.

As for the seats... Have you ever sat in the balcony of the O'Neill?  Even I have trouble with the legroom in those seats, and I'm only 5'8".

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2004, 08:56:01 AM »

Hmmmm. . .5'8". . .isn't that just the right size for spooning?

Danise

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2004, 09:09:32 AM »

Hi all!

It's a chilly 51 degrees here in Sunny Florida.  Not crisp.  COLD! I hate winter.  

Noel

Re:THE WHIRLING DERVISH
« Reply #159 on: Today at 01:36:38am »

DR Danise said something that piqued my interest, and, in asking this question, I hope I don't sound like I'm criticizing.  But I'm truly puzzled.  You just saw Phantom of the Opera and say that, on your next trip to New York, you plan to see Phantom of the Opera.  On a typical day here, you've literally dozens of musicals to choose from, all of which have opened more recently than Phantom of the Opera.  Why would you choose something you've already seen over something you haven't seen?

If this could be answered for me, it would be valuable knowledge, and help me understand the theatre biz a little better.

I don't think you are critcizing, DR Noel.   :) As I said, for my first trip to NYC, I did see all new (to me) shows.  I was just saying that if I come back, I would like to see POTO.  

I guess mainly because I want to see the Broadway version instead of a road show so I can compare it to what I have seen.  

I do want to see other shows that I have not seen.  Not that one comes to mind execpt for Chitty.    But that makes two shows and  I don't know how many others I would have the time see.  

If (ok, let's say when) I come back to NYC, I do not plan on staying a whole week like I did the last time.   I'm thinking more like three days/two nights but I'll have to see how I feel about it when the time comes around.

TCB, I'm so glad that Scrooge is treating you so well.

Matt, I'm also glad that your enjoying your show as well.

It's nice that reading did so well, BK.  I really liked the pictures of the party as well.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2004, 09:18:05 AM »

Larry I think you should talk to Patty, something else may be going on.

Michael check on line and look for a less expensive calling card.  We have one from USATEL 1-800-979-4609

td DARLING pup!!!  I want to play and cuddle with Dixie Belle.  I suggest getting a micro chip in her for the day she bolts.  Hey, is she putting her paws in the water bowl yet?

Bruce our cat that was obsessed with food was named for the Knudson products-Keith’s idea over my objections.

Panni good thing I’m not anywhere near your pig.  I admire your will-power.

Michael Shayne, nice windmills.  I wish I could stay longer and enjoy them.

td

• td
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2004, 09:27:01 AM »

Dixie Belle made it through the night in her new home as well as in her own cage, which we call a home.  She yapped and bayed for a while, but when I took Minx on her final walk, and put the shirt that I was wearing into Dixie's home, Dixie settled down and went to sleep.
She's eating well and playing lots -  just as a puppy should.
Anyone who wants to come and play and cuddle is welcome to.
(Now where is TCB when a line like that comes along?)

Panni

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004, 09:49:53 AM »

Good Morning! Congratulations, Jose, on being in the coveted NY File.

And congrats on your final performance (in this show, that is), MattH. Sounds like you've earned a well-needed rest.

Panni

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2004, 09:57:14 AM »

Jose - I envy your opportunity to work with Arthur Laurents. A big chunk of American Musical history in the flesh. Have you read his autobiography ("Original Story by Arthur Laurents")? Bitchy and informative at the same time. What more can you ask for?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2004, 10:10:30 AM »

Wonderful party posts last night!  AND a marzipan pig.  Never heard of that tradition, but then I am not in the least Hungarian.

td- thanks for the PO thoughts.  Interesting.  I have only seen the show once, and the cast failed the material....well I guess I should say the Director failed the material.  And what a cute puppy!

Loved the Wechter pictures!  

Well - we could of course all name our favorite Nuclear Disaster pictures.  Hmmmmmmm.....sci fi was full of them.....

THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED - low budget stuff with Lori Nelson & Paul Birch.

THIS IS NOT A TEST - this is one of MBARNUM's favorite movies, and it is very good.  Another low budget flick.

THE WORLD THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL

TARGET EARTH

Lots of good stuff - that is still fun to watch.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2004, 10:11:16 AM »

I am loving the windmill pictures!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2004, 10:24:56 AM »

A question to DR Noel, re Schwartz:

You give a list of Stephen Michael Schwartz' shows that you like, and list Wicked as one you don't enjoy, yet you also say, and I quote:
That said, I won't deny that Schwartz's recent scores have disappointed me.
Which other scores have disappointed you?  The list seems incomplete, considering the use of the plural noun.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2004, 10:38:11 AM »

Nuclear disaster pic - ON THE BEACH. Although I guess if you have to wait out the end of the world, Gregory Peck, Fred Astaire and Ava Gardner aren't bad company.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up