Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SENIOR TECH AND THE SENIOR LUDDITE  (Read 6463 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE SENIOR TECH AND THE SENIOR LUDDITE
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »

Ballet On Broadway has arrived in Tumwater!

Here, too (yesterday), and I'm popping it into the player right now.

Me, too!  Although, I did notice a mistake on the endcard.  The last song listed is track 18, "The Devil Played the Fiddle," but that's actually track 19.  Track 18 is "When It's Love," sung by Arthur Siegel and K.T. Sullivan. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2019, 11:07:44 AM »

Of course, it's really obvious when you listen to it. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2019, 11:17:37 AM »

Good news DR ELMORE.  Did you call the other people and let them know they are giving out the wrong address?  It might save some other sucker a long walk......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2019, 11:35:14 AM »

Nothing burns my ASS more than being given WRONG information by the very people whose job it is to be the EXPERTS on that information.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2019, 11:36:16 AM »

Good news DR ELMORE.  Did you call the other people and let them know they are giving out the wrong address?  It might save some other sucker a long walk......

No.  It all seemed par for a lousy day.  While i was waiting on the bus to go downtown, my attorney returned my call from last night.  She said that since the landlord had accepted my payments I should be fine, but she also thought the court would simply dismiss my case this morning.  I was surprised since they gave me a hearing date instead.  All of this nonsense is a waste of my time as well as the jerk landlord's, but they asked for it by neither responding to my emails alerting them to the situation and how I planned to resolve it and jumping the gun on eviction for being one month behind in rent.  If I were two or three months late, I could understand their wanting me out.  Here, I think it's a case of trying to get rid of me so they can charge current higher rent to a new tenant.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »

Market rate$. Yep, you bet.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »

Nothing burns my ASS more than being given WRONG information by the very people whose job it is to be the EXPERTS on that information.

Bingo.  I wanted to go in, talk to them, and fill out an application.  I can download the application, but I'd rather do it with someone who hopefully can answer my questions.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2019, 11:43:20 AM »

You know what else burns my ass?  I asked several friends to post on my Facebook that I was banned for 30 days.  I thought that at least one of those posts would have been seen by all of my friends.  Still, I get messages I cannot answer. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2019, 12:06:28 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - mail is fine this morning, and I've begun the slow process of nuking old e-mails - you have to do it in small batches or you get error messages and the last thing I want to do is muck up mail working properly.  So, over the next few weeks I'll delete at least 50,000 old e-mails.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2019, 12:07:41 PM »

Had a few auditions to listen to, but I'm VERY picky.  I've had one Adriana audition that I thought was in the ballpark, and I'm having that gal do one for GEE, too. 

George

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »

Had a few auditions to listen to, but I'm VERY picky.  I've had one Adriana audition that I thought was in the ballpark, and I'm having that gal do one for GEE, too. 

That's great, BK!  Hopefully, she works out.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2019, 12:31:21 PM »

I had to order a new pet carrier for Thatch since I will give his old one to Stella.  I assembled it, Annabelle crawled in and she won't come out.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »

Traffic sucks today.  It took a 30 minute taxi ride from the court house to Sixth Ave and 18th Street where I caught the No. 7 bus for an hour-long ride from there to home.

When I got home there was an email from my landlord's legal adviser responding to my email from last night: Please disregard whatever you received. I will let the attorney know you paid.

I sent her back an email saying: Too late! We're going to court.

What will you gain by going to court if they already agree you have paid up and have dropped the eviction notice?

Jane

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »

When I got home there was an email from my landlord's legal adviser responding to my email from last night: Please disregard whatever you received. I will let the attorney know you paid.

Great news they acknowledged your payments.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »

I let Stella out of her cage for a bit, and she romped, chased Annabelle and Thatch, then went into the bathroom and used their litter box!  Annabelle studies her, Thatch runs away.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2019, 12:53:08 PM »

I decided to go to the Dept. of Aging and apply for a Senior Citizen Rent Reduction (SCRIE) to say fuck you to the landlord.  The clerk who scheduled my hearing gave me the old SCRIE address and I walked for blocks to the Dept. of Aging, but SCRIE has moved;  I made the trip for nothing but aggravating my leg. 

Darn, sorry about aggravating your leg for nothing.  Did you find their correct info and contact them?  I had no idea you could apply for a senior reduction.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »

Traffic sucks today.  It took a 30 minute taxi ride from the court house to Sixth Ave and 18th Street where I caught the No. 7 bus for an hour-long ride from there to home.

I sent her back an email saying: Too late! We're going to court.

What will you gain by going to court if they already agree you have paid up and have dropped the eviction notice?

Nothing, and I hope the attorney will cancel this hearing.  i've done my bit by responding.  The information line at Housing this morning said if you've received a notice or a postcard you must come to court immediately.  So I did.  The landlord screwed up things by creating a problem and then following up too slowly.  If we end up at a hearing next week, I hope they end up looking like fools.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 02:05:34 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »

Great news they acknowledged your payments.

They had no choice.  Both checks had cleared the bank and I have the online statement proving it.  They've created too much aggravation and at least two sleepless nights for me to be nice about the situation.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2019, 01:01:26 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2019, 01:03:29 PM »

Larry, I think you've made a great deal of progress in a very short time on the eviction situation. You are to be commended for having the rent data at hand and taking immediate action. It's easy to feel flustered when hit with a crisis and then not be able function. I know that feeling well.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2019, 01:08:53 PM »

The rental housing situation is a nightmare for so many. I often feel like a second-class citizen by renting. That's not the case in all buildings, but I think it's the majority. In LA, it's next to impossible to get through by phone to the housing authority. Terribly understaffed.

ChasSmith

« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2019, 01:11:16 PM »

The rental housing situation is a nightmare for so many. I often feel like a second-class citizen by renting. That's not the case in all buildings, but I think it's the majority. In LA, it's next to impossible to get through by phone to the housing authority. Terribly understaffed.

I remember feeling that way, too, in certain places but not in others.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2019, 01:13:00 PM »

I find that very annoying, too. In many cases I think the people are so dense (or apathetic) that they don't even realize that this sort of thing is part of their job. It is!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2019, 01:15:12 PM »

A friend lives in a posh apartment in Marina del Rey. Very expensive. I once said to him that they were probably treated very nicely. Oh, yes, no argument there. But here it can be like pulling teeth to get them to fix something.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »

One friend moved into a old house here in LA. He soon discovered that there was no heat. When he informed the landlady she replied, "What? You expect luxury?" My friend contacted the housing department and they required the owner to provide a functioning heater. My friend now has heat, but it's a lot of time and aggravation to accomplish what should have been taken care of by a responsible landlord.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »

I have errands--yes, more--to run.

Vibes to all.

TTFN.

KevinH

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2019, 02:00:59 PM »

Good afternoon!

KevinH

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2019, 02:02:12 PM »

DR elmore--I'm glad to hear how much progress you've made and hope everything goes smoothly in court.

ChasSmith

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »

Oh my GAWD, so many idiots in the Facebook groups of the "so you grew up in" variety are AS DUMB AS ROCKS.

I now think this type of Facebook group, in particular, attracts so many (okay, this is going to sound a little mean) people of a certain age, and they're excited about having a place to reminisce about the Good Old Days, which hey, so I am in certain respects ..... BUT these are NOT computer savvy, internet savvy, social media or especially FORUM or GROUP savvy people ... and it's maddening trying get a response to something that makes any sense or that logically follows the thing it follows.

This post in itself is probably incomprehensible. Apologies. I think on this point BK is going to know pretty much what I mean. It's such a damn shame. These groups, at their best, are invaluable sources of information. And I daresay (oh yes, I dare, just try me) that 98% of the people in them have zero interest in any kind of actual information. They just type Pavlovian responses, which is probably the same way they are in regular conversation. (I told you this would be a little mean. Maybe it's a lot mean.)

Sorry, just a li'l rant based on a conversation in the Fort Lauderdale group today.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »

I decided to go to the Dept. of Aging and apply for a Senior Citizen Rent Reduction (SCRIE) to say fuck you to the landlord.  The clerk who scheduled my hearing gave me the old SCRIE address and I walked for blocks to the Dept. of Aging, but SCRIE has moved;  I made the trip for nothing but aggravating my leg. 

Darn, sorry about aggravating your leg for nothing.  Did you find their correct info and contact them?  I had no idea you could apply for a senior reduction.

https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/2424/senior-citizen-rent-increase-exemption-scrie
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up