Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAST OF JERRY'S DELI  (Read 3333 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE LAST OF JERRY'S DELI
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2020, 03:54:02 PM »

It is a special experience eating at a restaurant where the staff and regular customers know you.  We have never experienced this to the extent that we have done so at Beaches.  Bruce I feel sad for you losing your special place. 

I agree that it's special. A sort of home away from home. And few restaurants lend themselves to being that.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2020, 03:56:07 PM »

Texas singer-songwriter Billy Joe Shaver has died. Saw him play half a dozen times, maybe more. Drove through an ice storm once to hear him play with Kinky Friedman. Saw him play at Willie Nelson’s Pure Luck Ranch, where he also performed with Willie after he finished his own set. Met him a few times, too. Pure Texas music. He had a great song called I’m Just an Old Chunk of Coal (but I’m gonna be a diamond some day). It was used over the credits of a beautiful little film that Joey Lauren Adams directed.

https://youtu.be/sqDUnHv_g70

Didn't I see your name as one of the sponsors?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2020, 04:09:22 PM »

The electrician was right on time and was here maybe two minutes. It turns out he wasn't here to do work today, he was just taking measurements and checking things out for when he returns in a few weeks. The manager, of course, never tells us anything. She knows nothing about building maintenance and therefore doesn't even know what questions to ask. But the electrician saw the file cabinet, was able to work around it today, and said they could move it when they come next time. I'll move little stuff out of the way for them then.

It is hard to imagine he didn't tell her he would be taking measurements and the date of his return.  Oh well, at least he seems competent. 

He seemed quite competent and was very nice as well. I don't think the return date has been set yet -- he told me 3-4 weeks. She knows nothing, has a lousy memory, doesn't bother to write much down, and just assumes we'll be home. At least she gave us a week's notice this time. The last time the plumber came I hadn't heard anything about when he'd be here, then got a text that morning that he'd be here in 2 hours. I had a doctor's appointment. Fortunately, the plumber was able to replace my faucet and be gone so I was OK. The winner was the day the plumber shut the water off while I was washing my hair. The plumber they like so much is a total neanderthal, the most inconsiderate person I've met. This was during the recession when there were lots of vacancies. She did learn that someone needs to let us know ahead of time before shutting the water off.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2020, 04:12:04 PM »

DR Jeanne, which Wind in the Willows were you watching?

Probably not THIS ONE on YouTube for The Show Must Go One, and it'll only be available for 48 hours!  So, watch it soonly!!

This looks pretty bad.  I think she might have been watching this:

This actually an excellent series, we used to watch it all the time when the Vixter was young.  I am sure I have the dvds somewhere

Netflix just had the one DVD as far as I know, not a whole series.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:15:15 PM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »

TTFN.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2020, 04:37:12 PM »

Duck tostadas for dinner. Surprisingly good.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2020, 04:44:09 PM »

Good evening!

John G.

« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2020, 04:49:08 PM »

The contractors came today to fix the wall. It looks fine, but it needs to finish drying before I can put everything back in place. I will remember them to use again.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2020, 04:57:04 PM »

I have more than three weeks of vacation built up. This is the last year we can carry over time. Starting next year, no one apparently gets more than 49 days off in the year, which is close to 10 weeks. But you can buy up to three weeks. I bought an extra week this year, which started before we knew about the pandemic. They will refund that next year. Going forward, you will get reimbursed for time not taken. But you must also take 10 days. In other words, if you don’t take a minimum of two weeks, you won’t be reimbursed for that time. Somewhat convoluted, I know.

Very strange.  Our previous vacation maximum was 240 hours (prorated for part-timers) going into the next month, which is a total of 30 days for full-timers.  Last year, the union negotiated that we are now able to accrue as much vacation as we want, but we have to be at or under 240 before we go into the next fiscal year (Jan-Dec).  The hard part, of course, is for people out in the branches being able to schedule vacation, but a few years ago, we negotiated (when the vacation limit was still monthly) that if you accrue more than your max vacation time, the amount above 240 would roll over into your sick leave, which has no cap, so no one will actually lose any more time anymore. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2020, 04:57:22 PM »

And since we're so close...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2020, 04:57:28 PM »

Gratuitous Post #100!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2020, 05:04:19 PM »

The contractors came today to fix the wall. It looks fine, but it needs to finish drying before I can put everything back in place. I will remember them to use again.

That should make you feel good.

Jane

« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2020, 05:05:04 PM »

DR John I am wearing my Luckenback sweatshirt today.  Have you been to concerts there?

John G.

« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2020, 05:47:31 PM »

Starting to watch Wind in the Willows. Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey fame wrote the book. I hope it's closer to that than his not-so-good adaptation of Trollope's Dr. Thorne.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2020, 06:22:13 PM »

Excellent news for Singdaw, although I misread surgeon as sugar daddy.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2020, 06:23:53 PM »

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2020, 06:24:36 PM »

Picked up a couple of packages and am home.  I need some sleep and to not have allergy issues.  Very logy.  I had tuna sandwiches for food, Kritzerland show stuff is on track, no time to work on project one but will later before bed.  Listening to Szell do Mozart - he had such a light and brisk touch with it that it's almost not making me want to vomit on the ground.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2020, 06:25:30 PM »

It has been a long time since I have gone for a sunset walk.  Of course because I finally went the sunset was unspectacular.  I moon rising over Mt Hood was rather beautiful, especially with the view of the river and the little marina here.

George

« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2020, 07:01:12 PM »

Well, it's time for me leave work, so I shall.  Other people are here in the building, so I don't have to close it.  Fine with me! ;)

Be back later.

John G.

« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2020, 07:10:11 PM »

DR John I am wearing my Luckenback sweatshirt today.  Have you been to concerts there?

I have driven through there many times but I haven’t had the occasion to stop there yet.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2020, 07:11:08 PM »

Excellent news for Singdaw, although I misread surgeon as sugar daddy.

Insert raised eyebrows here.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2020, 07:13:41 PM »

Best part of this Wind is the relationship between Mole and Ratty.
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2020, 07:16:51 PM »

I misread surgeon as sugar daddy. 

;D   Me, too!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2020, 07:18:36 PM »

Insert raised eyebrows here. 

Amongst other things.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2020, 07:20:00 PM »

Thanks for all the patented HHW vibes.

The presentation was exactly 45 minutes, and I think it went well. All the embedded videos played as they were supposed to. People seemed receptive.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2020, 07:24:57 PM »

~~~MEDICAL VIBES~~~ for Dr. John G. tomorrow!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2020, 07:26:31 PM »

I was very fortunate that I just had not taken a lot of vacation over the past few years, and had a lot of banked days between vacation and sick time. Even with all of the time I have taken off over the past 3 to 4 months, I think I still have about 30 days in reserve.

John G.

« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2020, 07:26:52 PM »

― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »

I wonder if Szell ever used Excel?

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2020, 07:28:06 PM »

Moving on...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up