Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WHIRLWIND  (Read 44375 times)

Cillaliz

Re:WHIRLWIND
« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2007, 02:53:32 PM »

Well, Le Creuset just introduced their new "Carribean" color.

I LOVE my Le Creuset!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #211 on: April 06, 2007, 02:59:01 PM »

Next, I watched THE SUN ALSO RISES. This was my favorite Hemingway novel after I read a bunch of them in college, and the movie is enjoyable if not exactly the book. Most of the cast is way too old, but because they're good actors, it doesn't matter all that much. Too bad they couldn't have made the movie ten years earlier. Tyrone Power would have been closer to the right age, but I find his impotent hero very moving.

Poor Errol Flynn must have been drunk a lot during filming. I know he's a better actor than he's ever been given credit for being, but I'm not sure even he could "act" drunk that well. Robert Evans is terrible, of course, and Darryl Zanuck's mistress at the time (Juliette Greco) is also a black hole of inexpression. Mel Ferrer has the jealousy and bitterness down pat, but he makes a lousy boxer.

The transfer looks very nice, anamorphic widescreen (Cinemascope) and 4.0 Dolby Digital Surround.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #212 on: April 06, 2007, 02:59:30 PM »

I LOVE my Le Creuset!!!

I have it in burnt orange. I love it, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: April 06, 2007, 03:00:43 PM »

After I finished THE SUN ALSO RISES, I watched the "making of" documentary on the DVD. Some good background from the screenwriter on the making of the picture. He says that poor Ava Gardner was drunk a lot during the making of the movie. It doesn't show in her performance.

Matt H.

« Reply #214 on: April 06, 2007, 03:02:09 PM »

To bring me up to 4 p.m., I began watching DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. Having watched THUNDERBALL the other day, I was in the mood for another COnnery/Bond, and I hadn't seen this one in awhile.

This is the Special Edition version, and it looks very nice. Mono sound, of course, but the picture is certainly well saturated and reasonably clean.

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: April 06, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »

In a surprising twist to a recent local news story:

2nd DUI test shows chief's daughter under limit

A second test following the arrest of (name removed to protect the alleged guilty and also so she won't find this in case she googles herself), daughter of the Scottsdale police chief, showed her blood-alcohol content was 0.072 percent, just below Arizona's 0.080 percent presumed level of intoxication....

Now that doesn't mean they won't charge her, but being the daughter of a police chief, they probably won't charge her.  

Both tests could be correct. You would have to know what she drank and when she started and stopped to extrapolate back to what her BAC (blood alcohol content) was at the time of driving.

Your BAC looks like a bell curve, well kind of. If you are on the declining side, the second test could be lower than the first and both would be right.  Lots of folks are on the rise when they are arrested (it takes awhile for alcohol to be absorbed in your system so when you stop drinking your BAC rises for a while before gradually declining). For them the 20 minute wait for the test would put them higher than at the time of driving or if there are 2 tests, the second test is higher.

But if she stopped drinking for awhile before she drove, then did the mandatory 20 minute wait before the test, enough time could have passed that the second test was lower than the first. It's all a question of timing and absorption rates.

But even though science says you could have a test higher than the time of driving, most states have passed laws that have a presumption that what the test says is what you were at the time of driving.  No basis in science...but that doesn't stand in the way of a legislature

Good heavens, I haven't done DWI cases in years, not sure where that came from
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 03:09:04 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »

I have it in burnt orange. I love it, too.

I'm a burnt orange kind of girl myself

Ginny

« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »

Hmmm, Hainsie/Kimlet dinner combos for tonight:

DRs Jose and Singdaw in Westport, CT
DRs Edisaurus and Adrianna Patti, with BK, in LA
DR Elmore and me, in Middletown, OH

Any others?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »

Jhvw will be at my house on Wednesday night....

Cillaliz

« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2007, 03:12:34 PM »

And if you ever want to get into the myth of fingerprints....

Ginny

« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »

Jhvw will be at my house on Wednesday night....

Well, tell him I said HI!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2007, 03:14:52 PM »

DRs Cason and Miss Karen
DR Sandra and me
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »

The myth of fingerprints???

Cillaliz

« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2007, 03:15:40 PM »

I have to say I really wish I was leaving the office sooner than I have planned.  There are sound fiscal reasons for why I'm waiting, but I actually had my first referral today and I can't take the case! (not while I'm employed by the feds)   I am so ready to be out of here!!!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2007, 03:16:46 PM »

I know that the Breathalyzer and blood test can be different. And that if she was coming down on alcohol it would be lower when they take the blood later.

Cillaliz

« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2007, 03:16:50 PM »

Well, tell him I said HI!

I'll make tell him to say hi while he's there.  He has been very E and T and I must put a stop to that!!!

Ginny

« Reply #226 on: April 06, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »

DRs Cason and Miss Karen
DR Sandra and me

Of course - I should have thought of those!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #227 on: April 06, 2007, 03:18:36 PM »

I rode along with a Highway Patrol officer many years ago, and we saw a man who failed the field test. He blew just under a .10 (which was the standard then) and they knew they might not get a conviction, so they let him go. He looked a mess, though. Staggering and bloodshot eyes.

Cillaliz

« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2007, 03:18:46 PM »

The myth of fingerprints???

That's very long. There are no standards in fingerprint examination, it's all subjective and the examiners who say they are 100% certain have been wrong many times...google Brandon Mayfield.  

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #229 on: April 06, 2007, 03:19:26 PM »

Yes, we miss Jhvw. Tell that young man to get his buttcheeks in here for a visit.

Cillaliz

« Reply #230 on: April 06, 2007, 03:22:50 PM »

Yes, we miss Jhvw. Tell that young man to get his buttcheeks in here for a visit.

Will do...I'll tell him DR Laura said "buttcheeks" that may be enough to get him to come back

Cillaliz

« Reply #231 on: April 06, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »

I rode along with a Highway Patrol officer many years ago, and we saw a man who failed the field test. He blew just under a .10 (which was the standard then) and they knew they might not get a conviction, so they let him go. He looked a mess, though. Staggering and bloodshot eyes.

I'm not surprised.  You have to drink a lot more than the 2 drinks they used to talk about to get to .10

Ginny

« Reply #232 on: April 06, 2007, 03:23:33 PM »

I am so ready to be out of here!!!

Similar feelings for me, DR Cillaliz.  This past week, I spent our Federal income tax refund on a little over half a year of retirement service credit from the maternity leave I took when DS Rob was born.  It puts me into about a 2 year range of being able to retire at full benefit.  I've hardly been able to think about anything else this week!

Cillaliz

« Reply #233 on: April 06, 2007, 03:24:26 PM »

Looks like I've chased away everyone but Ginny.....

I'm actually going to go. I need to go home and feed the cats before meeting some friends for dinner.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #234 on: April 06, 2007, 03:25:22 PM »

Similar feelings for me, DR Cillaliz.  This past week, I spent our Federal income tax refund on a little over half a year of retirement service credit from the maternity leave I took when DS Rob was born.  It puts me into about a 2 year range of being able to retire at full benefit.  I've hardly been able to think about anything else this week!

Aha! Another fiscal responsible worker wishing she was anywhere but here

Ginny

« Reply #235 on: April 06, 2007, 03:25:40 PM »

And I'll be leaving soon to meet DR Elmore at El Rancho Grande.  Should we leave the lights on?

Cillaliz

« Reply #236 on: April 06, 2007, 03:25:46 PM »

Hate to leave you alone, but I've got to go.

Cillaliz

« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2007, 03:26:21 PM »

Yeah, someone will be along soon, we wouldn't want them to trip on anything walking into BKs livingroom

Ginny

« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »

Oh, good, DR Laura's back.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »

News Flash: The man from the city water department just broke my water meter.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up