Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO WAS THAT MASKED MAN?  (Read 4298 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: WHO WAS THAT MASKED MAN?
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2020, 05:58:16 PM »

Six!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2020, 05:59:04 PM »

I'm drowning in sweat. It's 92 this late in the day. And it's getting colder in three days.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2020, 05:59:20 PM »

Is anyone having a seder this year?
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2020, 06:09:40 PM »

No seder here.

John G.

« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2020, 06:25:38 PM »

Enjoyed Levi! so much that I'm watching A Carol Christmas. Loved the opening number.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2020, 06:31:23 PM »

Brigitte has pneumonia, another sister has informed me.

HEALING & PNEUMONIA BE GONE VIBES FOR BRIGITTE!

Jane

« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2020, 06:32:47 PM »

Is anyone having a seder this year?

Growing up Passover was my favorite holiday, even over Christmas.  I am usually sad at this time of year as we don't do a seder & it has been a long time since we have gone to one.  This year I don't miss it.

Jane

« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2020, 06:44:21 PM »

The park near us with beach access is closing.  The walking path along it will still be open.

ChasSmith

« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2020, 06:51:37 PM »

I think the piece of music you posted way back was a vocal sheet for “Opportunity”. Did Richard Sherman have a fully sketched out piano score for the whole show? I know Lanny orchestrated. Who composed incidental music?

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2020, 07:02:47 PM »

Seder.
Jew with the stars in your - oh that's not P.C.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

John G.

« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2020, 07:51:21 PM »

Carol Christmas was wonderful. Tightly written, constantly moving. The songs had full impact. The libretto just enough to support everything. And a great star, I can't remember her name. Like any good male Scrooge, she made you dislike aspects of her without hating her for being so greedy and selfish.
― Voltaire

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2020, 08:14:20 PM »

My nephew messaged me last night.  He's doing Mortuary Disaster Relief for 10 days.  He's assigned to Queens but didn't have any info on his duties as he had just arrived in NYC.  I am so proud of him for being willing to do that.  No one talks about the morticians and what a difficult time this is for them.  They have not only the number of people to take care of, but also families who they have to tell they can't have the funeral they wanted for their loved ones. And COVID-19 is still contagious in people who have passed.  It's got to be extremely stressful

Your nephew is very admirable, especially when reading many funeral homes won't take the bodies.  I hope your nephew is well protected.   Where will he be staying and is it provided for him or does he pay the expense himself?

Stay well vibes for your nephew!

He's staying at a residence hotel, Hilton chain, can't think of the name it's in Long Island City and from the website it looks good. They are all in suites so they have little kitchens and room to relax a bit.  The whole hotel is all mortuary and medical people in town to help out.  They are providing full gear. He's being paid - I think extra - by his company. He will also be receiving full pay while he's in quarantine.   He is being well taken care of financially and they have full protective gear.   He is used to embalming people who have died from all sorts of causes, so he's used to the gear.   His mom is worried about him, but I'm really not.  He will be cautious and he really wants to do this

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2020, 08:15:14 PM »

Brigitte has pneumonia, another sister has informed me.

Oh my Vibes to Brigitte

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »

Carol Christmas was wonderful. Tightly written, constantly moving. The songs had full impact. The libretto just enough to support everything. And a great star, I can't remember her name. Like any good male Scrooge, she made you dislike aspects of her without hating her for being so greedy and selfish.

Hartley Powers is Carol - and she was just Maggie in The Man Who Came to Dinner and was superb.  And she's the author's daughter :)  He hadn't even thought about her playing Carol.  That was me and I insisted from day one that she do it.  Glad you liked!

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2020, 08:23:25 PM »

Just finished watching Levi!   I loved it!  I don't mind a bio being episodic, as JohnG said a denim dance would have been fun.   I could see that they were testing them with the tug of war, but it was really in the background.  A manly denim dance would have been great. SPOILER ALERT....  I did feel a bit let down that the romances sort of just fizzled.  I know not everything needs to be tied up with a bow, and if it's a bio, reality tends to get in the way a bit, but no one really ended up together...and \having Sara be the friend at the end didn't make sense to me.  Couldn't the Chinese couple at least have gotten together? These weren't major things to me, but I did think about them.  I did love the show and if it was somewhere near me would definitely go see it. 

John G.

« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2020, 08:27:49 PM »

I looked up Hartley's name in the CD. She was perfect. Reminded me of a friend of mine in the PR business.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2020, 08:27:56 PM »

I think the piece of music you posted way back was a vocal sheet for “Opportunity”. Did Richard Sherman have a fully sketched out piano score for the whole show? I know Lanny orchestrated. Who composed incidental music?

There were only lead sheets with chords and a demo recording.  I didn't care for most of the way the songs were done.  In Opportunity, for example, the music held the "tu" of "tunity" for another beat, drawing out the "tuuuu" before "nity"   I hated that because it wasn't crisp like the word and so I changed it - Richard was fine with all my musical changes.  I added the coda of Seven Beautiful Children because it literally had no ending - I wrote both music and lyrics for the last lines up until "my seven beautiful children." I completely re-arranged the opening number of second act, Pay Dirt - theirs was a slow dirge and I was not going to open an act like that.  All those adjustments were done with Richard Allen notating everything.  I made all those changes even before we did our living room reading at my house.  It was at that reading that I knew something was amiss in act two where So Many Empty Rooms now lives, but I couldn't put my finger on it.  When we got into rehearsals at LACC I finally realized that Sarah had no singing in act two, so I knew that wasn't right, and then as originally written you went from Levi's last line and exit directly to the next scene with Levi in a whole other location, which was never going to work.  And then I looked at that exit line, "So many empty rooms" and realized it was a great song title.  I wrote the lyric when I got home, sent it to Richard in the morning, and about thirty minutes later he called and played the tune.  His original version had a kind of habanera rhythm, which didn't work, so we gave it a different feel.  And in Levi's big eleven o'clock number, that was kind of all over the place, so I did a lot of streamlining it with the dialogue bits between.  I tried to do all the dialogue I added in Larry's style and think that was pretty successful. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2020, 08:28:07 PM »

Finished with my viewing.

John G.

« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2020, 08:30:31 PM »

Now for the really important question of the evening. What kind of deviled eggs should I make this weekend?

A. Pimento cheese deviled eggs using jalapeno pimento cheese.
B. Greek deviled eggs with feta and black olives
C. Dirty martini deviled eggs with vodka and green olive juice (I think I have a little vodka left. I gave a lot away.)
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2020, 08:31:53 PM »

Just finished watching Levi!   I loved it!  I don't mind a bio being episodic, as JohnG said a denim dance would have been fun.   I could see that they were testing them with the tug of war, but it was really in the background.  A manly denim dance would have been great. SPOILER ALERT....  I did feel a bit let down that the romances sort of just fizzled.  I know not everything needs to be tied up with a bow, and if it's a bio, reality tends to get in the way a bit, but no one really ended up together...and \having Sara be the friend at the end didn't make sense to me.  Couldn't the Chinese couple at least have gotten together? These weren't major things to me, but I did think about them.  I did love the show and if it was somewhere near me would definitely go see it. 

In fact, both romances were entirely made up by Larry.  I understand why Levi couldn't end up with Sarah because Levi in real life never married, so there was no way to change that, and yes, it's not satisfying and we didn't really solve that and it does need to be addressed in some way.  And I'm not sure the Chinese couple would get together because Su Lin simply doesn't feel love for Han Chow.  It's a conundrum for the last ten minutes of the show, surely.

John G.

« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2020, 08:37:28 PM »

Good night, all.
― Voltaire

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2020, 08:41:02 PM »

In fact, both romances were entirely made up by Larry.  I understand why Levi couldn't end up with Sarah because Levi in real life never married, so there was no way to change that, and yes, it's not satisfying and we didn't really solve that and it does need to be addressed in some way.  And I'm not sure the Chinese couple would get together because Su Lin simply doesn't feel love for Han Chow.  It's a conundrum for the last ten minutes of the show, surely.

I agree, clearly  Su Lin doesn't love Han Chow - I see the problem with that.  I think part of it was the song Levi sang had so much longing in it that it was like he didn't want to end up single so with the romances sort of dangling out there it felt even more unresolved.  Maybe if he had resolved it more in his own mind through the song...Look I've become a humanitarian is nice but it doesn't resolve the personal side.

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2020, 08:42:30 PM »

But overall, I really did like the show

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2020, 09:36:43 PM »

I just got a nice royalty payment from Concord Theatricals.

Congratulations!

Ditto!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2020, 09:44:10 PM »

Of course it's NO Neil Sedaka tune.....like this hit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHVePsrnG9g

My...that clip sure does have a lot of random shots of girls butts. :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #175 on: April 08, 2020, 10:13:32 PM »

There's a cat that looks very similar to that that comes into my parents' house and eats their cat Henry's food.  It's been happening for so long that Henry doesn't even try to chase it out anymore. ;)

Jane

« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2020, 10:13:54 PM »

My nephew messaged me last night.  He's doing Mortuary Disaster Relief for 10 days.  He's assigned to Queens but didn't have any info on his duties as he had just arrived in NYC.  I am so proud of him for being willing to do that.  No one talks about the morticians and what a difficult time this is for them.  They have not only the number of people to take care of, but also families who they have to tell they can't have the funeral they wanted for their loved ones. And COVID-19 is still contagious in people who have passed.  It's got to be extremely stressful

Your nephew is very admirable, especially when reading many funeral homes won't take the bodies.  I hope your nephew is well protected.   Where will he be staying and is it provided for him or does he pay the expense himself?

Stay well vibes for your nephew!

He's staying at a residence hotel, Hilton chain, can't think of the name it's in Long Island City and from the website it looks good. They are all in suites so they have little kitchens and room to relax a bit.  The whole hotel is all mortuary and medical people in town to help out.  They are providing full gear. He's being paid - I think extra - by his company. He will also be receiving full pay while he's in quarantine.   He is being well taken care of financially and they have full protective gear.   He is used to embalming people who have died from all sorts of causes, so he's used to the gear.   His mom is worried about him, but I'm really not.  He will be cautious and he really wants to do this

I am glad it is all being done properly as it should be done.

Jane

« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2020, 10:14:56 PM »

There's a cat that looks very similar to that that comes into my parents' house and eats their cat Henry's food.  It's been happening for so long that Henry doesn't even try to chase it out anymore. ;)

That's funny.

George

« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2020, 10:15:02 PM »

Today I will make a pizza.

Today, I went to Eagan's!  They've been close for a week and a half and finally were able to open again...drive-thru only, of course.  A friend of mine works there, so she VERY glad that they're open.

George

« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2020, 10:19:23 PM »

Yesterday, I got a FedEx text message that a package was going to be delivered today, but when I clicked on the link which opens up their website in my browser, THAT page says that it's going to be delivered tomorrow.  What gives??  I guess I'll find out when I find out...hopefully, sooner rather than later.

My guess, they had too many packages and delayed yours.  If it doesn't say "out for delivery" the delivery date isn't a definite date.

The text that I got doesn't say "out for delivery," just "scheduled for delivery 4/08."  So, tomorrow I'll stay home, or at least until I receive the package.  The latest updat was that it departed the FedEx location in Tracy, CA at 10:07 pm (Pacific time).  At least, there's movement!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up