Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO WAS THAT MASKED MAN?  (Read 4360 times)

ChasSmith

Re: WHO WAS THAT MASKED MAN?
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2020, 01:59:30 PM »

What a crazy and weird day it’s been. Some good things happened, but a couple of friends had bad things happen. (They’re okay now.) It’s just been...weird.

So now I am off to watch a guy named Levi!

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2020, 02:00:43 PM »

Just got word my sister in Germany, Brigitte, has been admitted to the hospital with a lung problem. She had tb twice in the past and this is related. Her husband is not allowed to see her.

VIBES for your sister

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »

Vibes for TCB and Nicky

ChasSmith

« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2020, 02:01:11 PM »

I finally remembered what I was going to comment on - a few days ago MR BK mentioned Quibi.....which seems like the most meta exercise yet.

And does anyone really think that if they watch a movie (or bits of it) on his phone that he has really seen the movie?

Mr. David Lynch says what? (In...um, so many words...)   :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »

Before I go, computer audio vibes for DR Elmore!

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »

JRAND  when I was young my mom loved white cats, so we had three of them  Musette, Wally and Sonja

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2020, 02:05:45 PM »

My nephew messaged me last night.  He's doing Mortuary Disaster Relief for 10 days.  He's assigned to Queens but didn't have any info on his duties as he had just arrived in NYC.  I am so proud of him for being willing to do that.  No one talks about the morticians and what a difficult time this is for them.  They have not only the number of people to take care of, but also families who they have to tell they can't have the funeral they wanted for their loved ones. And COVID-19 is still contagious in people who have passed.  It's got to be extremely stressful

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2020, 02:07:51 PM »

Got my 35 page "brief" finished and filed.  I was totally stressing about some deadlines, but all the May trials in federal court just got moved to June, so my deadlines all just got extended by one month  Whew!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2020, 02:17:48 PM »

Before I go, computer audio vibes for DR Elmore!

Thank you.  I rebooted the Mac and glory be! I have sound again.  I have no idea what the hell caused it, maybe cats on the keyboard, but it's back.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »

Looking forward too Levi comments.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »

Sandwiches eaten and I'm full but not uncomfortable and the plan is to not eat anything else today.

ChasSmith

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2020, 03:06:02 PM »

(INTERMISSION!)

DR Elmore, I’ve had that complete audio loss when going to a gig where we’re using MainStage or RMS and I’m setting everything up with a different keyboard or something that requires some change in configuration. And then, poof, nothing. But another reboot of the laptop, and it sings the Hallelujah Chorus. But it’s an intermittent thing.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2020, 03:27:53 PM »

I enjoyed Levi! I think it has a stronger second act than the first, which was maybe too episodic for my tastes. It's a biography and lives are episodic, I know. I also realize the show is a marathon for the central character, but I could have lived without the song of the relatives (or shortening it), though that means taking away a short break for the actor playing Levi.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2020, 03:44:45 PM »

JohnG - it's an interesting conundrum, certainly.  If you saw what the original script was like you'd know how far we came in terms of making it even producible.  If you think the first act is episodic now, it was much worse, as was the second act.  I got rid of as much as I could, wrote new stuff, cleaned up the songs and arranging them, and was just determined to keep it all moving along.  The show originally began with the Greenhorns section of Opportunity, with the two bad guys there.  Then it went somewhere else, then finally to the ship.  That was the biggest thing to get right and fix - I told them the first person I wanted to see in the show was Levi Strauss and everything had to go from there.  I completely revised that entire section from start to finish.  In the original script, Levi was never off the stage save for the Levi song.  I added So Many Empty Rooms, which I wrote they lyric for and Richard wrote the music, because I needed to get him offstage for two-and-a-half minutes in act two.   Glad you enjoyed and appreciated the comments. 

Anyone with any questions, ask away - I love to talk about this stuff.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2020, 03:48:24 PM »

BK, when your wonderful and very touching video ends, I want to hear loud cheers and bravos from the crowd.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2020, 03:48:57 PM »

Now I wanna see LEVI, too!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2020, 04:02:14 PM »

Some of my LEVI comments have lines through them.....not intentional.

I love Opportunity as an opening number.  I guess it is episodic as DR JOHN G said.....but it moves so quickly that I don't notice any dragging portions.

The songs are classic SHERMAN [KIMMEL] songs, and I can see MR BK's fine hand in the structure and of course the direction....but it's not heavy handed anywhere.

I wish there was a recording of the songs - which would lead to some productions, I think.....is there an opportunity that it will be published for prouction?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2020, 04:02:51 PM »

Oh my the trees in my neighborhood are budding and the little green buds look so beautiful.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2020, 04:03:08 PM »

DR CILLA LIZ those are perfect white kitty names.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2020, 04:04:40 PM »

Jrand, there is, of course, the cast album :)  The discussions about the show's future were ongoing until Larry Cohen died last year.  He wasn't ready to give up on a first class production, whereas I wanted to get it licensed.  So, we'll see where we go.  When all this current crap is done, I'll get together with his widow and chat about it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2020, 04:10:30 PM »

Baby Russell, just because!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »

I'm really glad I got talked into doing the song - the comments here and on Facebook are so beautiful - there've been twenty-two shares, something that's never happened before. 

That is very nice. 

Jane

« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2020, 04:34:20 PM »

Well, in unintentionally macabre turns of phrase, Dr. Fauci has said this is "a bad week for deaths."

So if you didn't die last week, you'd be better off not doing it this week.

I didn't notice knowing exactly what he meant :(

Jane

« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2020, 04:47:36 PM »

Tonight is the MODERN FAMILY series finale.....two episodes preceded by an hour of history and other stuff.

I may watch it.....it almost always amuses me.

I don't know if we will watch it tonight or tomorrow night, or watch the history one night and the finale another night.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2020, 04:53:41 PM »

My nephew messaged me last night.  He's doing Mortuary Disaster Relief for 10 days.  He's assigned to Queens but didn't have any info on his duties as he had just arrived in NYC.  I am so proud of him for being willing to do that.  No one talks about the morticians and what a difficult time this is for them.  They have not only the number of people to take care of, but also families who they have to tell they can't have the funeral they wanted for their loved ones. And COVID-19 is still contagious in people who have passed.  It's got to be extremely stressful

Your nephew is very admirable, especially when reading many funeral homes won't take the bodies.  I hope your nephew is well protected.   Where will he be staying and is it provided for him or does he pay the expense himself?

Stay well vibes for your nephew!

ChasSmith

« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2020, 05:23:24 PM »

Well, LEVI is magnificent. Thank you, BK.

DR Elmore, it’s worth watching on the computer, even though I don’t love that either. I watched it laying back with the iPad on my lap. Be sure to select high def if it doesn’t play automatically in HD. Take a good break between the acts.

Excellent all around, really. And how about that professional video work? Holy cow.

I can only imagine the state of the materials originally. What you’ve got must be in damned good shape now, even if there are to be future changes.

Jane

« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2020, 05:54:00 PM »

My asthma spirometer arrived today.  I need to do more breathing exercises and hope I can improve my score.

John G.

« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2020, 05:56:10 PM »

JohnG - it's an interesting conundrum, certainly.  If you saw what the original script was like you'd know how far we came in terms of making it even producible.  If you think the first act is episodic now, it was much worse, as was the second act.  I got rid of as much as I could, wrote new stuff, cleaned up the songs and arranging them, and was just determined to keep it all moving along.  The show originally began with the Greenhorns section of Opportunity, with the two bad guys there.  Then it went somewhere else, then finally to the ship.  That was the biggest thing to get right and fix - I told them the first person I wanted to see in the show was Levi Strauss and everything had to go from there.  I completely revised that entire section from start to finish.  In the original script, Levi was never off the stage save for the Levi song.  I added So Many Empty Rooms, which I wrote they lyric for and Richard wrote the music, because I needed to get him offstage for two-and-a-half minutes in act two.   Glad you enjoyed and appreciated the comments. 

Anyone with any questions, ask away - I love to talk about this stuff.

I remember your saying the opening was all over the place, and I think that really works now. But keeping him on the move out to California quicker might help that (and again, it could be just my opinion).

Question: Did anyone ever think of a dance about the pants? A sort of denim ballet? The historical photos were great. Seeing miners move about in them might reinforce just how essential (I'm hating that word in "these uncertain times") they were to the 49ers.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2020, 05:57:43 PM »

I'm getting my copy of Levi! out to listen to after the Weill (down to the last three discs of those).
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2020, 05:58:09 PM »

Brigitte has pneumonia, another sister has informed me.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up