Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GABBER  (Read 13133 times)

Michael

Re: THE GABBER
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2011, 02:03:49 PM »

tod

Sondheim's lyric book
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »

Jose

congrats on the new digs

Now you have to get on one of those house maker over shows
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »

FJL, she's actually out of town and probably hasn't even seen it.  We just tried to get her for the Gardenia show in April.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »

Well, my goodness.  I post, go out for a jog (finally! - first jog in four months), and I return, do a few things, and come here to read all the excellent postings that have been made since I left and what do I find?  NOTHING.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »

100 posts till a most impressive new plateau.

Cillaliz

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »

And speaking of Priscilla...

I keep thinking you're talking about me ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »

So, a few hours ago I said to myself "Self, what do you really want to do tonight?"   and the answer was "stay home, make a new england boiled dinner, watch tv and putter around the house"   So, I'm not going to the Celtic Tenors with the Symphony.  I'm sure they will be fabulous.   The symphony is never a sell out, so I don't feel like I'm depriving anyone of a seat.  I offered it to a few people but no one wants it so...

Cillaliz

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2011, 03:44:52 PM »

The house is really starting to smell like corned beef cooking.  I'm following the directions in my Cooking Down East cookbook I bought in Maine.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2011, 03:45:12 PM »

Sometimes it's nice just to give myself permission to stay home without having to pretend I don't feel well.

FJL

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »

BK, thanks for that info. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »

My shoulder is finally almost well.  It's just a little stiff now. I'm slowly getting my house cleaning done.  Hoipefully by tomorrow it will be done

Cillaliz

« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »

I watch Japan for awhile, then something else, then Japan, then something else

Cillaliz

« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2011, 03:47:33 PM »

Not sure that any of this is interesting to anyone, but they are posts

Cillaliz

« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »

I am really amazed at the devastation. I want to donate some money to a relief fund, just don't know the best one to use for this disaster.

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »

I am about 1/2 way through watching The Madoff Affair or whatever it's called.  Interesting. Thanks for telling us about it DR Jeanne

Cillaliz

« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2011, 03:51:11 PM »

250 aftershocks over 5.0 and 50 aftershocks over 6.0  Wow.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2011, 04:05:45 PM »

250 aftershocks over 5.0 and 50 aftershocks over 6.0  Wow.

I haven't read the number of aftershocks.  Did the article mention what is normal? I remember loads of aftershocks following the last big quake I was in.  6.0 seems high.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »

DR Cilla I enjoyed all your posts.  I've become a real homebody, always kind of was at night unless I'm traveling, and think you go out a lot.  IMHO you don't need excuses to stay home. :)

Jane

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2011, 04:07:37 PM »

I am really amazed at the devastation. I want to donate some money to a relief fund, just don't know the best one to use for this disaster.

I'm amazed the size of the waves on my coast all the way from Japan.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »

We took Sherlock and Yogi for a nice walk.  Now they are both on the deck while the weather continues to be nice.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »

Once we were in the yard we let them off leash and found Yogi has one game he will play with Sherlock.  He likes to get Sherlock to chase him.  Yogi is fast and agile so of course he has no fear that Sherlock will actually catch him.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2011, 04:13:50 PM »

I did indeed go to Carroll Studios, whose spelling I never remember, and spent a wonderful afternoon listening to Loesser's wonderful, playful score to WHERE'S CHARLEY? We cleaned up some things from noon to 2 pm and made sure the cuts worked, broke for an hour, and then the cast arrived to sing with the band. We got through everything in three hours, doing a couple of numbers twice through and breaking some numbers into sections to be worked and then running the whole thing. Rob Berman's conductign is fantastic and Ben Whitely's choral direction really sterling; the title song, which is a great choral piece, had lots of color and variety. The cast, most of whom had never heard the orchestrations, laughed and applauded throughout everything. Surprises, like the brilliant out-of-tune orchestrations for "The Ashmolean Marching Society" made them laugh and cheer, but everyone was amazed at the combination of class and humor in the scoring.

Jo Loesser and the gentlemen from Loesser Enterprises sat with me and we all had a great time kvelling over the score; I think they were all quite happy with what they heard. Rebecca Luker, Howard McGillin, and the chorus knocked the great number of the score, "Lovelier Than Ever," out of the park and had everyone weeping over its beauty, Rob McClure proved that he will be a very fine Charley with "Once in Love with Amy," and Lauren Worsham, Jill Paice, and Sebastian Arcelus all had beautiful moments in front of the orchestra. The concert master and his stand partner seemed to be at complete odds - he can be an ass and she's a total bitch - all day, which I found quite interesting as she veered for power position and he had the control. Their behavior led to their giving Joshie an undeserved hard time. He was very unhappy over their treatment. I think she was making Joshie the outlet for her anger at the concertmaster. Bob Zubrycki is playing in the section, and I think he should have been in charge.

I gave Joshie a pep talk before I left; he's too talented to put up with diva behavior from two unhappy dueling violinists, who should have to deal with the musical demands Encores! throws at him every day in the short time it takes to put one of these things up.

Still, I think we all have much to be very happy aboout, and I think it's going to be a good show.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:27:02 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2011, 04:15:52 PM »

DR elmore I'm very pleased your day went so well.

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »

I'm amazed the size of the waves on my coast all the way from Japan.
That too

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2011, 04:21:19 PM »

PsssT!  Is BK around?  Has anyone heard the rumour that he is not happy with me...oh, no, not happy with me at all, according to the rumour?

TOD, Books I Have Been Reading Lately:

MUST YOU GO?  Antonia Fraser's diary memoir about her life with Harld Pinter
A KIND OF ALASKA, a play by Harold Pinter
GAMBON, A Life In Acting, a series of interviews with Michael Gambon conducted by Mel Gussow
A PLAGUE OVER ENGLAND, a play by Nicholar DeJongh, about the Gielgud scandal when arrected for importuning in public loos
THE PAINTER by Rebecca Lenkiewicz, a play about the painter Turner.
IRONHAND, a play adapted by John Arden, from Goethe's play, Goetz von Berlichingen
POSH, a lay by Laura Wade.
MY LIFE IN PIECES, a memoir by Simon Callow
WATCHMAN, a novel by Robert Crais
and...

My own 2011 LONDON THEATRE DIARY which feels like a book, but isn't.
http://poguespages.blogspot.com

Jane

« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »

PsssT!  Is BK around?  Has anyone heard the rumour that he is not happy with me...oh, no, not happy with me at all, according to the rumour?

;D

Jane

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »

DR CharlesPogue I always enjoyed reading about your trips to London, a city I also love.

Wishes 2011 is a good year for you!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2011, 04:46:37 PM »

Today is a day...I've done nothing so far, except watch some TV ("The Bonnie Hunt Show" from last year and a documentary about male synchronized swimmers in Sweden) and have now caught up with all the posts.

Just had to share. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »

Wow! Age 96!

Wow is right...96 years is a very long life.  But I'm very sorry to hear about Hugh Martin's passing.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »

Re last night's mention of theater seat prices going up and up -

Just put up  a parody of PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT from the "point of view" of its lead producer BETTE MIDLER
(parody-tribute to tune of of Amanda McBroom's classic song THE ROSE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5CCbK-Qvoc

A little bit theater-insider-ish, but Jan Horvath sings it gorgeously.  it's about 2-1/2 minutes, if you have time to watch.

Fred, I thoroughly enjoyed this!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up