Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GABBER  (Read 13083 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE GABBER
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:12:29 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes gabbed, and now it is time for you to post until the gabbing cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE GABBER
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:13:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: EPICENE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:15:24 AM »

As promised, the advance word on the new Kritzerland release - a score I've wanted since I saw the film on its opening day in 1962, a true BK and Kritzerland Holy Grail.  You know the drill - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 (23.73) shipping directly via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

Kritzerland is proud to present a new world premiere limited edition soundtrack:

THE COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR
Music Composed and Conducted by Alfred Newman

In one of the greatest years for motion pictures and their scores, one of the most forgotten and best films of 1962 was Perlberg-Seaton’s production of the Paramount Picture The Counterfeit Traitor.  The film was a sobering, gripping, exciting, touching espionage thriller and at the top of its class, as espionage thrillers go.  Starring William Holden and Lilli Palmer, along with a host of wonderful overseas character actors (including Academy Award-winner Hugh Griffith), and some great location photography, The Counterfeit Traitor was written and directed by George Seaton (from the novel by Alexander Klein – based on a true story).

Recounting the story of Eric Erickson (Holden), an American-born citizen living in neutral Sweden during World War II, who is neutral enough to be profiting from working with both the Germans and the Allies.   He is blackmailed into working for the Allies as a spy – this he reluctantly agrees to because the Allies (represented by the caustic Griffith) have him in a bind.   The film is filled with powerful and memorable sequences and great performances, especially by Holden and Palmer.  But the film simply got lost in that year’s incredible shuffle, as did many other great films – only later would some of them be rediscovered and achieve classic status – and The Counterfeit Traitor is indeed a classic.  The Paramount production values were top-notch in every department, most especially in the costumes of Edith Head and the photography of Jean Bourgoin.   And, of course, it didn’t hurt that The Counterfeit Traitor was blessed with a brilliant score by one of the greatest film composers who ever lived – Alfred Newman.

Newman, born in 1901, had spent most of his film music career at Twentieth-Century Fox, where he wrote many amazing scores, including such classics as The Mark of Zorro, The Keys of the Kingdom, The Song of Bernadette, Leave Her To Heaven, Captain from Castile, All About Eve, The Robe, A Man Called Peter, The Diary of Anne Frank and hundreds of others.  He only wrote two scores in 1962, but they were both masterpieces and very different – How The West Was Won and The Counterfeit Traitor.

The score for The Counterfeit Traitor is classic Newman all the way, with its propulsive main title, his various suspense and dramatic cues, and one of his most memorable love themes ever – the theme for Marianna.  That gorgeous theme weaves itself in and out of many cues in the score.  It first presents itself as background music, then becomes more prominent in each successive cue in which it occurs.  For those who’ve never seen the film, Newman’s score will be a revelation – one of the great scores of the 1960s and of Newman’s career.  It is a treat to finally bring Newman’s great score to CD for the first time.

This CD was mastered from the original three-track Paramount master tapes housed in the Paramount vaults.  While ninety-eight percent of the cues were in excellent condition, two short cues had very minor damage to them, but we felt that it was historically important to include them, even with that minor damage, which only amounts to less than 1:30 of the CDs playing time of just over sixty minutes.   

This release is limited to 1500 copies only.  The price of the CD is $19.98, plus shipping.   Additionally, we are offering a special deal with the purchase of this release.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the last week of April – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:17:05 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:38:35 AM »

Just ordered the CD. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 04:44:22 AM »

Good morning, all! The laundry is in the washers, and I am on my first cup of coffee.  Last night was a lot of weird dreams: the last one had me at a recording session of JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING IN PARIS, and I have a memory of another - or the same? - dream in which I was looking for a bookstore.

Today is the sitzprobe for WHERE'S CHARLEY?, so I need to be at Carol Studios by 11:30 or so. I believe there is a 2-hr band rehearsal and then the company arrives to sing through the score. Some of the choral arrangements, like the title song, are really wonderful. I am so looking forward to this!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:03:44 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:11:23 AM »

CD ordered.

Congrats to DR JOSE on his new digs and glamorous new job!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 05:11:40 AM »

Of course today is a work day.  Oh well.

then I get some days off.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 05:13:41 AM »

Topic of the day.

since DR ELMORE has been talking about Jacques D'Amboise.....I bought a couple of books about Lincoln Kirstein.....I have read MOSAIC - his autobiography and also INTIMATE COMPANIONS a book about Kirstein, George Platt Lynes, and Paul Cadmus.

They are interesting.....I have another Kirstein book on the way....perhaps it will be better.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 05:14:02 AM »

Vibes to the friend of DR JEANNE.

DR LAURA the new kitchen is faboo.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 05:14:11 AM »

I now, I must be going.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 05:16:46 AM »

I'm having dinner with friends later. They are seeing Anything Goes (I am not, at least not yet). Tomorrow we are having dinner with a friend who's coming in from Long Island (not Vixmom).

The Letters of Noel Coward.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 05:26:24 AM »

I finished the d'Amboise book last night, so my next one is a Sherlock Holmes pastiche, the third one I know of to put Mr Holmes on a search for Jack the Ripper.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 05:33:05 AM »

Topic of the day.

since DR ELMORE has been talking about Jacques D'Amboise.....I bought a couple of books about Lincoln Kirstein.....I have read MOSAIC - his autobiography and also INTIMATE COMPANIONS a book about Kirstein, George Platt Lynes, and Paul Cadmus.

They are interesting.....I have another Kirstein book on the way....perhaps it will be better.

Kirstein was crazy! But a very good writer.

Bob White, the editor of the Oxford, OH,  OXFORD PRESS was a good friend of mine; I had known him since the first season of Miami University Summer Theatre in 1966. Bob was a huge supporter of regional and community theatre in the area and a dear friend and supporter of my work as well, even though he did give me the worst review I ever got ("Larry Moore amused his friends in the audience").  It was for the most dreadful children's play ever written, and I hated every minute I was in it.

When he was living in Manhattan in the late 1940s and eary 50s, he knew everyone and maintained those friendships until his death. Whenever he came east to see things or hang out in Manhattan, Paul Cadmus, who lived in Connecticut, and I were the first two friends he called to set up visits. Bob owned several original Cadmus paintings and was responsible for the first major exhibit Cadmus had at Miami Umniversity. I miss him very much and think about him often..
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:45:04 AM by elmore3003 »

Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 05:39:03 AM »

Composer

Hugh Martin

passed away in California at age 96

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 05:43:58 AM »

I was just going to post that, DR Ben! He was a lovely gentleman and I am sorry that I met him so late in his life. Although his memoirs suffer from his finding Jesus, the book is still as charming and witty as he was.

FJL

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 05:56:50 AM »

Wow! Age 96!

FJL

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 06:00:21 AM »

Loved the Eclectic Cafe.  I ate there before seeing 70 GIRLS 70 almost a decade ago.

I didn't really know BK then; if I had, our little group would  have asked him to join us.  :)

FJL

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 06:05:15 AM »

Re last night's mention of theater seat prices going up and up -

Just put up  a parody of PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT from the "point of view" of its lead producer BETTE MIDLER
(parody-tribute to tune of of Amanda McBroom's classic song THE ROSE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5CCbK-Qvoc

A little bit theater-insider-ish, but Jan Horvath sings it gorgeously.  it's about 2-1/2 minutes, if you have time to watch.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:07:31 AM by FJL »

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 06:11:55 AM »

TOD:

I just finished with a book called I'M FRANK HAMER.  It's the story of Texas' most revered Texas Ranger, the man who tracked down and killed Bonnie and Clyde.

Actually, I didn't read the whole book, just sections.  It was really badly written and, after a few chapters, I just skipped around and read certain parts.

I was interested in the book because my maternal grandparents (and my mother) once lived in Borger, TX, a lawless oil town that was, eventually, cleaned up by Hamer during the 1920s.

I recently learned that my grandparents, who owned Borger's first hotel and were Jewish, were forced to flee the town with their 3 kids in the middle of the night, because the corrupt, anti-Semitic mayor wanted their hotel.

I wish I'd known this before I finished my memoir.  The story would have made an exciting few pages.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:13:44 AM by Druxy »
You can dream…or you can do.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 07:04:20 AM »

I'm having breakfast late but it's the usual.

Oatmeal, pecans, raisins and cinnamon with a cup of coffee.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 07:04:38 AM »

Pride and Prejudice

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 07:09:26 AM »

Pride and Prejudice

My favorite novel!

Ben

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 07:11:06 AM »

P.S. Fred, the Priscilla clip was fun. Jan does an amazing not-quite-Bette impersonation. She can sound amazingly like her at times.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 07:11:37 AM »

I'm reading more than one (or two) books now that I have my e-reader.

Lost Horizon

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 07:17:42 AM »

The problem with favorite novels that I read and reread, like PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, EMMA, PERSUASION, and COLD COMFORT FARM. is that I can never recapture that excitement from the first time of wondering what will happen next, or the laugh provoked by a wonderful turn of phrase, or the satisfaction when everything is resolved to the author's and reader's satisfaction. Rereading them is a joy, like seeing friends after a period of time but, like really good friends with whom your conversations pick up as though it were yesterday you last saw them. Still, I miss that wonder of first reading PRIDE AND PERJUDICE and laughing over the silliness, being shocked by events and the cruel snobbery lying under a veneer of social codes, brokenhearted when everything falls apart in the middle, and laughing and weeping with joy when everything rights itself like a good comedy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 07:18:48 AM »

I'm reading more than one (or two) books now that I have my e-reader.

Lost Horizon

I read that in high school for fun, although I ended up not having much fun; I thought the film was better.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 07:19:45 AM »

The Capra, not the Bacharach-David one, although the camp value of the second was off the charts.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 07:26:45 AM »

I picked up Lost Horizon because we had just seen the film. We put in the DVD and got swept away so I decided to find the book. I also got Goodbye Mr. Chips and Random Harvest.

FJL

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 07:30:48 AM »

Ben  - Thanks so much for watching!

And your comments, too!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up