Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WILD HORSES  (Read 14482 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WILD HORSES
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2004, 12:50:47 PM »

Oh, and if anyone is interested, my first concert at the Kennedy Center was hearing Vladimir Ashkenazy playing the Brahms' Piano Concerto (1st or 2nd - ?? - my memory is fuzzy right now), with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and Ricardo Chailly conducting.  I loved watching Chailly conduct - he had a great rapport with the players.  He would even wink and raise his eyebrow while cueing entrances.  Always smiling, I remember.  And seeing Ashkenazy for the first time - and hearing him live!   A piano-geek's dream!  And I also remember being surprised that he didn't wear a tuxedo, instead he had on a black turtle neck, and a navy blue suit.  Ah, the minutae...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2004, 12:54:37 PM »

You are under Billy Barnes and on top of Jack Klugman

Sounds interesting...

Michael

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2004, 12:55:53 PM »

Page 3 dance

« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 12:57:28 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2004, 01:03:45 PM »

Time for pictures!

Here is my grand-neice, and light of her uncle Mike's life, Taylor. My sister and I got her for the day and took her to the carousel at the waterfront in Salem. What fun it was!

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2004, 01:08:50 PM »

And here is Taylor and her daddy (my nephew, John) at lunch prior to John's going to play golf with his dad (my brother-in-law).

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2004, 01:16:14 PM »

And here is Taylor and Uncle Mike (Monkey Mike, as Taylor sometimes calls me) in a faux bathtub set up at the hair salon that my neice Katie works at.

Taylor doesn't seem to pleased and thinks that Uncle Mike has lost a few marbles, but I seem to be having a good time!

Michael

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2004, 01:16:52 PM »

Here is photo from a scene that was cut from Paint Your Wagon. Deemed too adult for the "M" rating it originally received. (Now a PG). After  a while the Jean Seberg character was tired of the two husband at a time routine and what to watch her husbands do their "husbandly" things.

Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2004, 01:16:59 PM »

Thank you all for humoring me while I force you to look at family photos! LOL!

François de Paris

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2004, 01:32:24 PM »

Sounds interesting...

Only YOU can tell us!!! :D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2004, 01:37:24 PM »

Here is photo from a scene that was cut from Paint Your Wagon. Deemed too adult for the "M" rating it originally received. (Now a PG). After  a while the Jean Seberg character was tired of the two husband at a time routine and what to watch her husbands do their "husbandly" things.

Their ""husbandly' things"?  Did they kiss each other??  It really looks like they're about to here! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

François de Paris

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2004, 01:39:06 PM »

I don't remember Jean Seberg wearing a beard!! ;)

Wagon! One of the most boring movies I've ever seen!
Hardly a musical per se too!
But then, the grace of Jean and the sweet singing voice of.... Marvin!!! :D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2004, 01:47:28 PM »

MBarnum LOVE the pictures!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2004, 01:53:35 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't think much of Previn's score to Coco or his "extra" songs for Paint Your Wagon (but don't blame him for their existence - he was HIRED to write them).    I like some of Good Companions, but Broadway didn't seem to inspire him like the movies did.  He wrote GREAT songs for the movies, especially Why Are We Alone from The Subterraneans, A Second Chance from Two for the Seesaw, Goodbye, Charlie, Valley of the Dolls (well, not ALL the songs were great), Daisy Clover, and his marvelous work on It's Always Fair Weather.  And he wrote some really good stand-alone numbers not from anything, including the classic Like Love.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2004, 02:20:23 PM »

Delightful photos Monkey Mike.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2004, 02:26:36 PM »

Poor Andre Previn.  His stint as music director of the L.A. Philharmonic is probably something he'd just as soon forget.  He never took to the "powers that be" at the L.A. Phil, nor did they--or audiences--to him.  When the heavy handed then-executive director took some artistic-related actions without Previn's input--or knowledge, for that matter--Previn was outahere.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2004, 02:37:28 PM »

Re Natalie: I love The Great Race, a fine funny film in which she is perfectly cast.  (Reminder to self: must add this to DVD collection.)

I love her performance in Gypsy, but I don't care for the film as a whole, mainly because I don't care for Russell as Rose.  If there were some way to graft Wood's portrayal of Louise onto the Midler version of Gypsy, that would make for one dynamite film.  But I somehow would want Jonathan Hadary's Herbie (from the Tyne Daly edition) grafted on, as well.

With all this grafting going on, it sounds more like a film about politics!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2004, 02:38:57 PM »

I just finshed a wonderfully amusing and tear-filled afternoon with THE MARRYING KIND. Judy Holliday is just perfection and Aldo Ray, well, what a sensational debut film for him! He's macho and yet tender, sweet yet stubborn. My gosh, how many actors ever got such a plum debut starring role in an A picture? What a stunning looking young man (then).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2004, 02:43:06 PM »

Yep, can't believe I left out IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER, one of my all-time favorite musicals.

And Previn won four Oscars (I mistakenly said three earlier): GIGI, PORGY AND BESS, IRMA LA DOUCE, MY FAIR LADY.

Panni

« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2004, 02:43:53 PM »

Equal time for Dory Previn. "Beware of Young Girls" - one of the great songs about betrayal.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2004, 02:45:26 PM »

It is a hot, sticky, rather miserable day in the South today. I was out earlier in the sweltering weather and couldn't wait to get home. I think we will get some mercifully sent rainfall tomorrow.

Panni

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2004, 02:53:39 PM »

In an hour or so I'll be going to the hills of Encino for a birthday bar-b-Q to celebrate the "anniversary of the 50th birthday" of the host.
Should be an interesting group. I think Wes Craven is going to be among the guests. I've met him before (with the same people who are having the partay) and he was a very quiet professor type. Not at all what you'd expect. Years ago, at another b-b-Q with the same hosts, one of the guests was Dr. Haing S. Ngor and we retired to a corner and had a fascinating talk about Cambodia. A lovely, gentle man. Ironic that he survived the Killing Fields, but couldn't survive LA.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2004, 03:00:52 PM »

Fletcher will be joining our family tomorrow.

Der Brucer was on the phone with the son-in-law, who wants to come down soon to re-fence the dog run, I think to extend it along the side of the house and connect with the kitchen door for a new doggie doorway.  Sounds like a great idea to me, give the lads (and lass) more room to play and run.

Only problem was that the word "dalmatian" was repeated by son-in-law, and daughter picked up on it.  She's bound and determined that the breed is "terrible with children;" we have no idea where she's come across this info.

I'm just hoping Fretcher is patient enough with me, to let me learn American Sign Language at my own pace.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2004, 03:02:34 PM »

...Should be an interesting group. I think Wes Craven is going to be among the guests. I've met him before (with the same people who are having the partay) and he was a very quiet professor type. Not at all what you'd expect. ...
It's always the quiet types, isn't it!

;)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2004, 03:09:29 PM »

Confidential to Dear Reader Panni:

I just read that the Los Angeles County Museum of Art will be running a Montgomery Clift film festival next month.  Be sure to carefully check your L.A. Times Weekend Calendar listings through the month of September.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2004, 03:11:33 PM »

I certainly wish Paramount would get off its duff and issue THE HEIRESS on DVD. Clift is indescribably beautiful in that film.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2004, 03:31:19 PM »

I must have been confused, as I thought Previn wrote the horrible new songs for On the Town, as well as the horrible new songs for Paint Your Wagon.  I don't blame him for the decision to replace those great Bernstein and Loewe numbers... just for the shoddy work he did.

But it seems I may have been attributing some of Eden's work to him earlier.  Sorry about that, AP
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2004, 03:47:44 PM »

Thanks for the Clift info, DR Jay. I'm going to feed the wonderdog now, then off to the partay. Full report later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2004, 04:01:36 PM »

Noel: But he didn't do any shoddy work on On the Town - not his film at all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2004, 04:46:26 PM »

No posts for forty-five minutes???  Skammen.  I must get ready to go to the theater.  But let's get some postin' goin' on prior to when I'm on my way.

François de Paris

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2004, 04:50:01 PM »

Not much to say today... but I'll say it anyway!

Even in Paris, France, at 1:45 am life -- mine! -- can be BORING!

... and my name is not Gaston!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up