Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE P PROBLEM  (Read 24557 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THE P PROBLEM
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2004, 08:35:44 AM »

I also like They're Playing Our Song.  I saw the original production and cast twice.  I was wild about the score at the time. These days, I still find it fun and catchy.  I haven't listened to the CD for a while but I think I'll pull it out this weekend.

Which brings us to:  The Media Check of Me

CD Player (at home):  V. Horowitz -- Chopin Concertos ( I forget which)

CD Player (at work):  Sunday in the Part with George (OCR)

DVD Player:  In the Good Old Summertime

VHS:  Olympic Games from Wednesday night
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2004, 08:40:30 AM »

Is anyone else as entirely happy as I am that today is FRIDAY???????

Drew desperately needs to learn what it feels like to be nominated.  He's the biggest wuss in the house and doesn't seem to have any clear-cut convictions.  

I for one am most assuredly glad it is Friday.  This is, I believe, the first week I worked five days since June.  (Say along with me as we do a combination Samantha nose-twinkle/Jeannie arm fold:  Comp time be gone!)

As for Drew, DR RLP:  I wholeheartedly agree with you that he needs to be put up for eviction.  But, did you have any clear cut convictions at his age?  Remember the peer pressures of college, from which he only recently graduated.  (And while I agree he should be nominated, I would be loath to see him go.....he's the only eye candy we have left!)

Karen remains my favorite (though possibly all-time inept) player.

And though no one asked, if I were to vote in those America's choice things, I would give it to Michael/Cowboy.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 08:41:32 AM by Stuart »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2004, 08:43:19 AM »

I was wild about the score at the time. These days, I still find it fun and catchy.  I haven't listened to the CD for a while but I think I'll pull it out this weekend.

And let's not forget, a terrifically fun entr'acte!  Never understood why more skaters didn't find that one after Torvill & Dean's mastery of the M&M overture.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 08:53:53 AM by Stuart »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2004, 08:49:33 AM »

Page Two Not-So-Much-A-Dance Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2004, 08:54:12 AM »

Well, looks like my trip to the Hollywood Collector's show is cancelled...for me, anyhow! Doggone it!

I received an invitation in the mail to a wedding that I knew was coming up, but didn't know when...well it is the same weekend that I was planning to fly down to Burbank! Aaaargh! It is a very important wedding which I simply cannot miss...I am sure glad I hadn't bought my plane ticket yet!

And if I had known about this earlier I could have instead gone down to Las Vegas this weekend with some buddies (I had to decline the invitation because I was saving my money for Burbank!)

Poop!  (An appropriate response, I believe, to your post, Dear Reader MBarnum, AND one in the spirit of today's notes.)  I was looking forward to meeting you, as I am sure were all the Southern California Hainsies and Kimlets.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2004, 08:54:25 AM »

Jane,

My cousin = JMK's rabbi.
Your FedEx guy = MBarnum's brother.

What are some of the other connections you've made, here or elsewhere?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2004, 09:07:37 AM »

Jane,

My cousin = JMK's rabbi.
Your FedEx guy = MBarnum's brother.

What are some of the other connections you've made, here or elsewhere?

The fact that DR Jay and I are brothers doesn't count, right?   ;)

Jay

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2004, 09:11:42 AM »

The fact that DR Jay and I are brothers doesn't count, right?   ;)

We could tell them that we were separated years and years ago and that we lost all contact with each other until--by sheer happenstance--we were tearfully reunited here at www.haineshisway.com.

Swell violins.

;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 09:12:15 AM by Jay »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2004, 09:11:51 AM »

Well, I got into a frenzy last night (nothing exciting) and cleaned and organized until 3 AM. ( I cut off the vacuuming at 1 AM. Even though they can't hear me in the Big House, I didn't feel right making that much noise.) Got up at 6 and worked until now to finish. I feel much better now in my little house-ette. Until it gets messed up again -- which will take about half an hour. There is NO MORE ROOM to put anything. but the place is shiny and clean and that makes me feel good.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2004, 09:12:41 AM »

DR Jay, I was also looking very forward to meeting some L.A area DRs, including yourself! Not going on this trip is a BIG disappointment for me, believe me! I was planning on it being one heck of a fun trip. But with the high ticket prices and then Cal Bolder's illness and the wedding and all, maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Well, maybe I can come down next year for one of the Hollywood Collectors Shows!

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2004, 09:13:16 AM »

My brother left a treat for Echo! See, he really is a cool brother!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2004, 09:17:53 AM »

My brother left a treat for Echo! See, he really is a cool brother!

As only we would have it here at HHW, the place for cool brothers.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2004, 09:24:03 AM »

WARNING! WARNING! More Big Brother 5 talk!!!

I was also might happy to see Natalie leave! I wish it would have been Adria, but Natalie is my second most disliked player.

DR Stuart, I agree that Michael should win viewers choice for the phone call...I think it would bring his spirits up a bit. I like Michael and think he is a heck of a nice guy.

I was very happy to see Marvin had won the last viewers choice. I knew he loved Y&R, so I wanted him to win!

And I love Karen...don't know that she is playing too well, but then she gets along with everyone and that does make for good strategy (although I doubt that was her strategy! LOL!)

Nikomis is the strongest player, I think. Drew could be a good player but he has had bad luck in choosing alliances and is keeps ending up between a rock and a hard place...and I suspect he is not happy with how he himself has been playing so far.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2004, 09:30:06 AM »

DVD - Mickey, Donald & Goofy (not to mention Minnie, Daisy, Pluto, Clarabelle, et. al.) in THE THREE MUSKETEERS.  Although I'm sure much of this is computer animated, it looks hand drawn and there are a few scenes which appear to be done on a multi-plane camera.  The script is okay, but more jokes don't work (or are not funny) than do.  The score is several warhorses of classical music with new lyrics.  And there are 7½ minutes of credits following 1 hour of film!  ... I found out the reason it went Direct To Video.  If a film is released to theatres and grosses  less than $100,000,000 Wal-Mart will not promote the video release or give it major shelf space.  The last few Disney films that were made with DVD/VHS in mind (second rate sequals to classic titles) did not do that much business and the folks at The House of Eisner wanted to make sure this film got a major push from Wal-Mart so it bypassed a theatrical release in case it didn't gross enough to please Wal-Mart, which will promote promising Direct-To-Video releases.

If you pay attention to the 7½ minutes of credits you will uncover ample evidence that the film is primarily hand-drawn: detailed credits for the classic hand animation chores for each character (49 folks assigned to primary characters, 19 for effects animation  and  79 folks gainfully employed as Cleanup and Inbetweeners). CGI gets a passing reference with a mere 8 names.

The score is indeed several warhorses of classical music (just like "Fantasia") with new lyrics sung by the likes of BK's very own Tammy Tappan.

Your related Wal-Mart conspiracy theory is somewhat contradicted by facts. WAL-MART did a full-court press for "Brother Bear" and is already hyping "Home on the Range", neither one of which had grosses anywhere near $100M. I suspect the anti-Eisner crowd is looking to add Wal-Mart to their Enemies List.

If you watch the Preview to "Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas" you will see what computer animated Disney Folk will look like - and it is nothing like this film.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2004, 09:31:44 AM »

Last night at about 11:30 p.m., I decided to rewire my VCRs.  Actually, I finally hooked up both of my VCRs to my one TV.  I have been manually switching the input cable between my two VCRs and I asked myself, "Why the heck am I doing this this way??  I have all the cable pieces and hardware that I need.  I just need to do it!"  So I did.  I put a splitter on the cable coming into the room, then hooked the cables into both my VCRs.  Then I strung the two VCRs into the one switch box, then that into the TV.  Now I can tape two different things at the same time and even watch a third program if I want to!  AND I even hooked up both VCRs together so that I can tape from one to the other...either way!  Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that just too too??

And after all of that:  In my VCR(s):  NOTHING! :) Actually, I have two video tapes that JMK (Jeff) most graciously gave me:  TUNES OF GLORY with Alec Guinness and John Mills; and RICHARD III with Sir Laurence Olivier.  I'll try and watch one or both of these this weekend.

In my DVD player:  PATRICIA ROUTLEDGE in THREE PORTRAITS.  Three different monologues performed by Patricia Routledge.  After that will be an opera, THEODORA with Dawn Upshaw and David Daniels.  It's a modern setting of this opera by George Frideric Handel.  I saw a bit of it on the Ovation Channel when I had digital cable last year and for some reason, I liked it.  David Daniels is a countertenor and he's got an incredible voice.  Such agility!  And he's cute, too! ;) And Dawn Upshaw is her usual wonderful self.  Although, I have to admit, that I'd never heard of David Daniels before this and I really haven't heard much of Dawn Upshaw's operatic work.  I do have her "I Wish It So" CD and it's wonderful!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2004, 09:35:48 AM »

The Stop the World London cast album (an import) is on CD, but it might be out of print by now.  The Daisy/Dead Ringer CD I got at Footlight Records in NY.  I tend to think it is not an "official" release, although you wouldn't know it by the sound, which is great.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2004, 09:37:22 AM »

Yikes.  I hate Walmart.  There's ample reason to hate Disney.  You put the two together and what do you get: limited entertainment choices.  Bad for the consumer.

If you talk to price concsious consumers you will find a goodly contingent of WAL-MART fans. A reasonable selection of new releases at bargain prices is damn good for the customer. If I can't find it at WAL-MART I can always order it from DVD Planet.

der "Thank you for shopping at WAL-MART" Brucer

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2004, 09:39:18 AM »

CD:  No Way To Treat A Lady... I've had this for years (I used to buy anything with a maroon label and Bruce's name on it), but can't remember ever listening to it.  It's a fun treat, however :)

DVD:  Connie & Carla... well, its also fun, if stolen from Some Like It Hot... Toni Collette looks more like a drag queen than any woman has a right to.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 09:40:55 AM by divarobbie »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2004, 09:39:33 AM »

Well, DRs - Guess what I'm seeing again tonight? I e-mailed a producer friend suggesting that he and his wife see WHAT IF? I know it's his cup of tea - he's worked with Billy Barnes, he wrote for Danny Kaye, Judy Garland - so I knew he'd love it. He e-mailed back that I was very sweet to invite him and as his wife was out of town WE should go. Why not? What if I see WHAT IF? 4 times? It gets better each time, so it's a treat. (And I'm supposed to go with another group of friends next week.)
Attending tonight, BTW, is a group from my dog park. They'll love Tammy's song about a girl needing a dog (....because, among other lovely dog things, unlike men, a dog always Stays).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2004, 09:41:30 AM »

Just heard that we're sold out tonight.  Yipee.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2004, 09:42:15 AM »

Although, I have to admit, that I'd never heard of David Daniels before this and I really haven't heard much of Dawn Upshaw's operatic work.  I do have her "I Wish It So" CD and it's wonderful!

It's one of my favorites, too. Have you heard her equally splendid Rodgers & Hart and Vernon Duke CDs?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2004, 09:48:24 AM »

DR Jane:  Check your email.  You can make your own Challah for tonight if you get started right now!!

DR MB:  thanks for listening, but Aqabala has no "u".  A little play on words--qabala (correctly transliterated from the Hebrew) + a cappella = Aqabala.  Get it?  Never mind.  I had a pretty popular group here in the early 80s called Qabala Deluxe.  I found that name hysterically funny.  Others found it simply odd.

CDs:  We have just finished listening to Prokofiev's 5th (in my favorite recording--Ormandy's), as my son Gabe amazed me this morning by walking over to the piano and pretty much correctly pounding out Williams' theme to Harry Potter.  I told him how much of Williams is obviously influenced by Prokofiev, so we listened to the 5th this morning as an example.

But I continue on my quest to get "unlistened to" stuff off of the top of the CD case:  I finally listened to DR Jason (is he still around) in Moby Dick last night--cute score; still to come today:  the 3 CDs soundboard of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue; a cursory relisten to Ankles Aweigh (Filichia's liner notes were so off the wall I missed most of my first listen reacting to them); Robert & Elizabeth (I'm assuming this is about the Doles, correct?  :) ); and The Sptifire Grill.  Whew.

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2004, 09:49:07 AM »

If someone were waving a corn dog at me, I would leave immediately!  I LOVE corn dogs.....

Well, well...True Confessions!

The "dog" in a classic Corn Dog contains pork products.

Now you could compromise the dish and use a (bland) Hebrew National All Beef whatever. But we still have the problem of the batter - the batter contains shortening (good cooks use bacon fat) and is generally mositened with milk.

In brief (or Jockey as the case may be) Corn Dogs Ain't Kosher!

der Brucer (I guess you could coat a tube of tofu with soy-milk moistened batter when the Rabbi comes to visit)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2004, 09:49:54 AM »

I must say that many of my favorite classical recordings are under the baton of Mr. Eugene Ormandy, who was quite brilliant, as was the sound of The Philadelphia Orchestra on those fantastic Columbia LPs.

Jay

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2004, 09:56:26 AM »

As only we would have it here at HHW, the place for cool brothers.

8)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2004, 10:04:30 AM »

This morning I went for a walk and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2004, 10:20:31 AM »

It's one of my favorites, too. Have you heard her equally splendid Rodgers & Hart and Vernon Duke CDs?

I've heard of them and heard the Rodgers and Hart CD, but I don't own them.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 10:22:56 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2004, 10:21:44 AM »

No I haven't!
::trudges off to Amazon::
Both on order, with Woody's addition of  Barber's "Knoxville: Summer of 1915" and me throwing in the Copeland "Long Time Ago".

::wishes DIT would keep his pricey opinions to himself >:(::

der broker Brucer
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 12:32:50 PM by DERBRUCER »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2004, 10:22:36 AM »

Noel - "Dick Tracy in B Flat" was originally produced for "Command Performance", a show produced by Armed Forces Radio for our fighting men overseas.  Over the years it has ben readily available for purchase.  I had it originally on LP, and the cassette is included on several cassette sets of OTR and probably individually.  The score is new lyrics to pop songs of the day.  For example when poor Judy Garland is kidnapped, Jimmy Durante says "Now I've got you over a barrel" and she sings "Somewhere over a Barrel".  You get the idea.

DerBrucer... The Wal-Mart story comes direct from some Disney employees as reported on the Jim Hill Disney website.  Wal-Mart will sell videos of films that do less than $100,000,000 at the box office, but they will not give them the major promotion or shelf space they save for the blockbusters.  At least this is what the article said.  I know much of it was handdrawn but I wonder if they got the multi-plane cameras out of mothballs or if that part was CGI.  And yes I saw the trailer for "Twice Upon A Christmas".  That's not the real Mickey, Donald, etc... it is stuffed toys being manipulated by computers to look like the old George Pal Puppettoons.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 10:24:16 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2004, 10:38:48 AM »

BK:  Do keep us abreast, or aneck, or atummy the status of your bathroom.

I keep hearing in my head:

"Gotta go! Gotta go! Gotta go RIGHT NOW!

"Gotta go! Gotta go! Gotta go!"

:-\

« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 10:39:17 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up