Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SUCH GOINGS ON  (Read 24329 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:SUCH GOINGS ON
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2004, 08:30:28 PM »

I have a question about De-Lovely:

Does Kevin Kline take off his shirt and show off his chest?

BRING ON THE BEEFCAKE!  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof![/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2004, 08:31:59 PM »

Page Six Dance!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Woof Woof Woof Woof
Woof Woof Woof Woof
Woof Woof Woof Woof
Woof Woof Woof![/size][/move]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 08:32:40 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2004, 08:40:29 PM »

BK: I'm in Kentucky for the week. I'll be back in New York on the 5th.

Re. your contract woes: Unfortunately, rights holders have the final say in who produces their shows and when and they have the right to pull any contracts that may have already been issued. You may be able to appeal it, but it sounds like they sort of have you in a corner.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2004, 08:49:50 PM »

DR Jay, I read that rather than using his own pretty wonderful baritone voice, Kevin Kline sings in a nasally flat way in the film to ape Cole Porter's vocal style in DE-LOVELY. True?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2004, 08:51:53 PM »

Well, I think bedtime is fast approaching. I'll say good night now.

Good night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2004, 08:55:46 PM »

Wait!  Woody, do you have frozen artichokes or fresh?  The recipe calls for frozen.  I didn't think about that.  And the other recipes seem to call for them frozen in a jar.
They're fresh.

Frozen?  How odd.  Frozen in a jar, odder still.

Still, I usually get ideas from recipes, rather than follow them to the letter.  And there's a great fishmonger just around the corner from where I work.

Oops!  Of course, I meant, "frozen OR in a jar." ::)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 08:59:43 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2004, 09:11:52 PM »

Just gotta ask, am I the only one who really liked RED, HOT & COLE?
Lord knows that Porter holds up no matter what drek is done with actors (Cary Grant), singers (David Byrne) or what not.  RH&Cole is delightful.
I was discussing the rabbit situation only Sunday with one of Tomovoz' countrymen. . . .see sunday's posts to see pictures. . ..
and, having played Jerry five times, i would have to say that THE ZOO STORY rates very highly.  I also like HOGAN'S GOAT.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2004, 09:15:47 PM »

Has anyone a clue/clew/clough where TD has disappeared to?

He hasn't posted since night before last!

Thanks for asking. . .
I'm out and about, recovering from the long weekend, working on a new cabaret. . .all the usual stuff that keeps me away from a computer. . .

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2004, 09:32:33 PM »

DR Matt H - When Kevin Kline was on Letterman the other night, he said that he did not use his regular singing voice for the movie.  I can't remember his exact words, but he did say he tried to sound like Cole Porter.

In other news...

"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" made over a gay guy tonight.  It was very interesting.  The whole dynamic did change, and their "subject" was quite interesting.  You could tell he was truly overwhelmed by everything, kind of in shock.  I hope they do a follow up on him.

Well, I'm kind of tired.. I fell asleep on the coach last night which is comfortable, but not that comfortable, so I was kind of tired all day.  Hopefully, I'll make it to bed tonight, and get some better sleep.

OK... Goodnight.

Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2004, 09:33:09 PM »

DR Jennifer, the plot for INSOMNIA is a follows..."A gay screenwriter in Hollywood tosses and turns with his many and varied, personal and professional demons on a humorous and poignant journey towards love, family and the dawn of self-discovery over the course of a sleepless night in this new musical comedy."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2004, 09:39:35 PM »

Ah, yes, Jay, but there was a context to that posting, as there is with the Alison Fraser postings...I suppose.  Again, only a quibble.  Maybe I'm just cranky today.

td

• td
« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2004, 09:41:59 PM »

Ah, yes, Jay, but there was a context to that posting, as there is with the Alison Fraser postings...I suppose.  Again, only a quibble.  Maybe I'm just cranky today.

I just love it when Ms. Fraser sings "Beware of the blob."

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2004, 10:17:10 PM »

DR Jay, I read that rather than using his own pretty wonderful baritone voice, Kevin Kline sings in a nasally flat way in the film to ape Cole Porter's vocal style in DE-LOVELY. True?

True and not true.  In the scenes where Porter is depicted as performing his own music, though he doesn't sing as flat and nasally as Porter himself did, Kline doesn't let his baritone ring, either.  In the scenes where dialogue transitions to in-character song, Kline does display his rather respectable singing voice.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2004, 10:31:38 PM »

Confidential to Dear Reader S. Woody White:  I tried to respond to your note, but your HHW mailbox is full.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #164 on: June 29, 2004, 10:32:07 PM »

Well actually, DRCP - I think Jay mentioned the ALLISON HAYES posts, not the Alison Fraser posts....   ;D

And since I can't see any pics right now or even the avatars of DRs SWW or DERBRUCER....perhaps they have been vaccinated!  :P

Wait a minute, hold the phone.....call Dr Freud, DR JOSE just wrote that he fell asleep on the COACH last night!  :o

And because it is Tuesday on the West Coast, here is the controversial Allison Hayes Picture of the Week.  As Jayne Mansfield so eloquently put it:  "Of course a girl has to have talent to make it in Hollywood - but she doesn't have to go around wearing blankets over herself!"   8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: June 29, 2004, 10:47:12 PM »

I am watching 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Just a moment....just a moment....

My mind is going, Dave.  I can feel it.  I can feel it.  I am afraid.

....My instructor was Mr Langley and he taught me to sing a song.  If you would like to hear it, I can sing it for you....it's called 'Daisy'.  Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do...I'm half crazy...all for the love......of...you....it won't be a stylish marriage....I can't afford a carriage....but...you'll...look...sweet...upon...the.........seat...... of a...bicycle...built..for....two.................. .........

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: June 29, 2004, 10:50:04 PM »

I was going to post a beefcake picture of myself this evening, but now I won't.  Has anyone a clew as to why women's pix are cheesecake, and men's pix are beefcake?  Why not porkcake for men?  Why not coffeecake for women?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2004, 11:22:09 PM »

Minibar was an interesting place, too noisy and trendy for me, but fun for one visit. The room is decorated with giant faces from 60's Keane paintings; huge ceramic polka dot discs cover one wall. Fox News was there and my friend and I were interviewed as to why we liked the place. My first and (I hope) last time on Fox News. The food was delicious. The portions are small and you share a number of items. For those who are interested, here's what we had:

coconut shrimp bisque
thai spices and coconut milk topped with a savory truffled whipped cream (My favorite - served in a teapot with two bowls - delicious!)

yucca bread
golden puffy yucca flour biscuit with smoked gouda, served warm

duck confit mini eggrolls
shredded roasted duck flavored with chinese bbq sauce wrapped in wonton skin and served w/a spicy cilantro-peanut sauce

salmon-brie strudel
fresh salmon, grilled shiitake mushrooms and brie baked phyllo dough and served w/a honey mustard dip

goat cheese portabello cap
warm spinach, onion fennel marmalade and sun dried tomato salad stacked on a grilled portabello and topped w/ curried goat cheese

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2004, 11:24:46 PM »

Cheesecake in the literal sense is a rich dessert made of cream cheese, butter and sugar.  Cheesecake as a slang term for non hardcore photos of women, leg art, or in short skirts, bathing costumes, etc., first arose in the depths of the depression.  At that time even having the basic necessities of life was difficult, so these lovely girls would have seemed as unattainable to the average reader of the pulp and glossy magazines as a rich, expensive dessert - cheesecake.

Beefcake....came a bit later....the beef referring of course to the muscles.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2004, 11:28:41 PM »

Minibar was an interesting place, too noisy and trendy for me, but fun for one visit....Fox News was there and my friend and I were interviewed as to why we liked the place. My first and (I hope) last time on Fox News....
Oh, I would hope not, dear DR Panni.  They could use a bit of class.

Come to think of it, most news stations could use a bit of class, as exemplified by you.

Not flattery, just truth.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2004, 11:29:34 PM »

Confidential to Dear Reader S. Woody White:  I tried to respond to your note, but your HHW mailbox is full.
I'll try to rectify that at once!  Thanks for the notice!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2004, 11:29:59 PM »

OMG DRPANNI - I would have been unable to eat under such scrutiny.   :o

Panni

« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2004, 11:31:06 PM »

Why, SWW, I'm blushing! Thank you for the kind words.

Jed

« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2004, 11:31:29 PM »

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut bite-size, browned and turned over to start browning on the other side.  Add some salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder.  Pour on a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce.  Add some mushrooms(sliced), stir a bit and simmer at medium-low while the spaghetti cooks.  Serve with steamed broccoli and Parmesan.

This is something der B's daughter and her crowd would deem "too complicated."

And something I would deem "darn tasty."
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2004, 11:32:10 PM »

Now if anyone has read with interest DR JMK's writings on Frances Farmer....you can go to this link and hear actress Lois Kibbee discussing with Patrick Agan her experience with Frances when she was ghostwriting Frances' autobiography.

Frances sister in law Ruth also has a lot to say about Frances.  It is all very interesting.   ;D

http://www.geocities.com/~themistyone/related_audio.htm

Panni

« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2004, 11:33:06 PM »

OMG DRPANNI - I would have been unable to eat under such scrutiny.  

And think gigantic, JR. These sad creatures were HUGE!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2004, 11:36:47 PM »

Why, SWW, I'm blushing! Thank you for the kind words.
You're quite welcome, but I never give flattery where it isn't deserved.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2004, 11:39:41 PM »

I am shaking....shakalaka shakalaka.....

Although Walter Keane has the copyrights on the paintings, they were done by his wife Margaret who became one of Jehovah's Witnesses in the 1970's and does not paint much anymore.  Her husband  owns the rights to the "big eye" pictures.

Margaret and Walter have been divorced many years, and when they went to court to establish who painted the pictures....a "paint off" was held.  Margaret of course was the winner.

She now paints smiling big eyed children.

How's that for a TV Movie?  Hey, Lifetime!!!

http://besmirched.tripod.com/margaret.html

« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 11:45:00 PM by JRand53 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2004, 11:43:36 PM »

He's not one to toot his own horn, so I'll toot it for him.

One of der Brucer's latest projects is helping a young midshipman re-adjust to having been booted out of Annapolis.  It's an e-mail thing; I doubt we'll be meeting the fellow in person.  Still, it's good to know that der Brucer is willing to give his time and experience to a much younger person, and help the guy get his life back on track.

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is a terrible thing.  One moment, the guy was a midshipman at the Naval Academy, now he's working at Blockbuster.

I'm just so proud of der B for being there, to help when he's needed.

edited for punctuation
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 11:44:30 PM by S. Woody White »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2004, 11:46:29 PM »

SWW I can't see your avatar!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up