Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SUCH GOINGS ON  (Read 24152 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SUCH GOINGS ON
« on: June 29, 2004, 12:01:47 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know there are such goings on going on, and now you are ready to post on a variety and also a hollywood reporter of subjects.  Do your best which, of course, is the chercest on all the Internet.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 12:00:26 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:SUCH GOINGS ON
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 12:12:10 AM »

Here I am with nothing much to say. I just ate a pickle - not a good idea this time of night. I'll have to think about the TOD.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 12:12:40 AM »

Dear Panni: I do hope the tapas place turns out to be good memorable, and not bad memorable.  Much as I think sawdust on the floor can be fun, having to use it to mop up, uhm, accidents can be, well, nauseating.

Sorry, it's been a very tiring day and I'm groaning, myself!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 12:15:50 AM »

I don't have much historickal info about off-Broadway during the 60s.  Der Brucer might have a better idea about that era.

Of more recent days, I totally enjoyed As Bees in Honey Drown, with what I understand was pretty close to the original cast.  They rattled off the lines, and the plot, at a breakneck pace, which covered up the holes in the plot, but that was the point of the whole piece.  I understand that the play hasn't travelled well.  Pity.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 12:16:16 AM »

My favourite off-Broadway play is THE CEREMONY OF INNOCENCE by Ronald Ribman...about Ethelred the Unready.  It's a play I did in college directed by The Lovely Wife.  Below a picture of me in it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 12:19:56 AM »

I know nothing of "off Broadway" now or then. Truth be known I know nothing much about plays either - are they those performances where they don't have songs?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 12:21:16 AM »

I did have one year where I saw many plays. 1973 - I saw about 50. Is London's West End "off Broadway"?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 12:22:19 AM »

My favourite off-Broadway play is THE CEREMONY OF INNOCENCE by Ronald Ribman...about Ethelred the Unready.  It's a play I did in college directed by The Lovely Wife.  Below a picture of me in it.

I always used to giggle when hearing about "Ethelred the Unready" -- because it made me think of Fred Mertz and Lucy. Of course, now that I'm a mature, sophisticated woman of the world, I no longer giggle.  ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 12:23:21 AM »

Pickle.  Isn't that where a runner is caught between one base and another, and the two basemen are tossing the ball back and forth trying to tag the runner out?

I can understand how this would not set well on a stomach this late at night!

Try for sweet dreams, dear Panni!  Or switch from a Kosher pickle to sweet pickle relish.  May your dreamtime carry you to delectable shorelines, and not to the brine-y.

I'd best to bed myself; this is getting rediculous.

Panni

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 12:27:54 AM »

Sweet dreams, SWW and everyone else who is going to bed!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 12:37:07 AM »

Also really like Murray Schisgal's The Typists and The Tiger, two one-act plays.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 05:05:45 AM »

No posts since 3:40am this morning. Hmmm.

I'll have to think about non-current Off-Broadway plays but things that pop to mind right now for current OB plays are

Three Tall Women (Edward Albee)
Wit (Margaret Edson)
How I Learned to Drive (Paula Vogel)
The Laramie Project (Moises Kaufman)
Gross Indecency: The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde (Moises Kaufman)
I Am My Own Wife (Douglas Wright - it started Off-Broadway at Playwrights Horizons)
Proof (David Auburn - also started Off-Broadway at Manhattan Theatre Club)

Musical Off-Broadway
March of the Falsettos and Falsettoland (even though they were combined for Broadway and called Falsettos, the shows began Off-Broadway at Playwrights Horizons)

Back later with plays from the past, I hope.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 05:07:59 AM by Ben »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 05:48:17 AM »

Arnold Weinstein, author of Red Eye of Love, was something of a mentor of mine at Columbia.  (Learned a lot of bad habits from him.)  He was involved, I think, in a musical version of Red Eye of Love, so add him to the list we were making the other day.

I'm not old enough to have seen many of the off-Broadway plays of the sixties in the sixties.  My father produced one, and I think I saw it, called The Infantry.  In the cast were two long-haired kids named Jimmy Rado and Gerry Ragni and they showed my father a draft of a musical they'd written.  It seemed not to have a plot, so my father passed.  On Hair

Off-Broadway I enjoyed Streamers quite a bit, and of course Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All For You.  I once saw a production of Endgame (from the 60's, by Beckett) that featured the most fascinating stage effect I've ever seen.  The set, at rise, was entirely draped; then, there's some noise (like the sound of a nuclear holocaust) and, with great force and speed, all the drapes got pulled out through a hole in the rear wall.  The director of this production went on to direct many a Broadway play, including premieres by Albee and Miller, I think.  And yes, I'm also fond of The Zoo Story, which I saw directed by Albee himself.  (It didn't use a real switchblade.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 06:16:56 AM »

The best off-Broadway musical I ever saw was in 1970: PROMENADE with Music by the wonderful, under-rated Al Carmines and book & lyrics by Maria Irene Forness (I may have spelled it wrong).  This was the first show to play at the theatre that was named for it on upper Broadway.  Unfortunately I saw it after Madeline Kahn left the cast, but that didn't atter as the entire cast was excellent and it was absolutely wonderful in every way.  I have seen two subsequent productions, one in Chicago and one in Buffalo, but in both cases the director did not fully understand the play.

Since Carmines has not written anything new in years, I can only assume that the church where is now ministers does not approve, whereas the Judson, his former church, not only approved but gave him space to present the initial productions of his plays.  His work is greatly missed and needed today.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 07:16:47 AM »

Salem's Pentacle Theater did COMMUNICATING DOORS  a few years back and my buddy Jeff was in it. I loved it! One of the best plays I have seen here.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 07:45:55 AM »

Favorite off-Broadway play: THE BOYS IN THE BAND, of course. A few years ago, I saw PARTY, a silly, totally hilarious piece of gay fluff, and I really enjoyed it as a break from big Broadway spectacles.

Many off-Broadway musicals have been favorites: THE FANTASTICKS, YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN, GODSPELL, and probably the most recent one that I thought was spectacular: AND THE WORLD GOES 'ROUND. William E Lurie was talking about Karen Ziemba yesterday, and this show was the first time I saw her. All of the women in the show were wonderful and versatile, but I thought Karen really stole the show with her singing, dancing, and performing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 07:47:28 AM »

Looks like another pool and sun day here. We've had such rainy, stormy weather over the last ten days that a break would be MOST welcome.

Jason

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 07:49:52 AM »

Hey, y'all! Greetings from Louisville. I'm sitting here snacking on cold chicken from last night's gargantuan meal and loving every minute of it.

The concert in Chicago went EXTREMELY well, some new friends were made and old friendships were fortified--and there was some GREAT music. You should hear DR MusicGuy play the GYPSY overture on that theatre organ! Astounding. Well, you should hear him play ANYTHING, but that GYPSY overture was tres impressive.

Even more impressive was the house--no, the MANSION--we stayed and performed in. Amazing. I can't even put it into words. I'll have my pictures uploaded ASAP, but even they won't do justice to it. The best part of it was that the homeowners were the nicest folks you'd ever want to meet. You'd never know that they were that wealthy. I hope to get to go back in the years to come.

Now I'm home in Louisville and I'm about to go out to see how the city's changed since I was here last. I'll take plenty of photos of anything interesting that I think you guys might like to see, like the Louisville Slugger Museum with the giant baseball bat in front. It's pretty cool. Ciao!

Panni

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 08:35:49 AM »

Good morning. Exciting goings on at HHW this morn - great concerts, fried chicken, Hair-passing stories...
I'm not an expert on off-Broadway plays/musicals(dah!). Many which have already been named I've either read and really enjoyed (The Typists and the Tiger - I still have my edition which I bought in 1967, with Eli Wallach and Anne Jackson on the cover); The Zoo Story, The Sandbox, The Death of Bessie Smith; or saw off-off-off Broadway...The Laramie Project and Gross Indecency in Denver; The Fantasticks in Windsor; tons in Toronto and Vancouver, and so on.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 10:36:42 AM by Panni »

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 08:53:49 AM »

Where are all the posts today?

Okay we must do something about this ASAP.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 08:56:22 AM »

Hmmmm, I wonder if DR Jason's cold chicken was FRIED chicken?

We need a food topic today.

Panni

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 09:01:34 AM »

Hmmmm, I wonder if DR Jason's cold chicken was FRIED chicken?

Indubitably.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 09:07:04 AM »

I don't know anything about off-Broadway plays...unless it's an off-Broadway musical that recorded a cast album and I own it. ::)

I have the CD to Promenade and I've listened to it a couple of times.  I didn't hate it, but it just didn't grab me, so I haven't listened to it in a long time.  I love the recordings of:
And the World Goes 'Round
Das Barbecü
The Fantasticks
Love (based on "What About Luv") with Judy Kaye and her husband David Green and Simon Green (who are not related)...okay, I just "like" this one
A Man of No Importance
Three Guys Naked From the Waist Down
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

I'll stop here.  I'd have to go through ALL of my CDs to find more, but I have to get to work.  

Also, my aunt (one of my dad's sisters) is visiting from Glendora, California!  She's a nun (her name is Sister Cecelia) and a kick in the pants!  She arrived yesterday and will be staying for a couple of weeks.  I'll be somewhat errant and truant, depending on what we do.  I only have about 18 hours of vacation time at work, so I won't be able to take much time off from there, which is actually where I'm off to now!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 09:11:19 AM »

It would just HAVE to be fried chicken. I think he didn't name it specifically because it goes without saying that it's fried.

I'm heading out the door for lunch in a minute before my pool afternoon, and I may just partake of some fried chicken myself.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2004, 09:18:49 AM »

It would just HAVE to be fried chicken. I think he didn't name it specifically because it goes without saying that it's fried.

Well I also assumed he meant fried, but you never know.  I'm sure there are many great chicken recipes in his household!

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2004, 09:21:47 AM »

Btw, does anybody here know the wide release date for the De-lovely movie?  I hope since it has Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd that it will be in more than just the artsy theatres.  Any help would be appreciated.

I think that it has a limited release on Friday. Thanks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2004, 09:41:29 AM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?  Good choices for off-B'way plays (we'd done musicals before but feel free to list them anyway).  I got to see The Typists and The Tiger out here in LA with Miss Anne Jackson and Mr. Eli Wallach - excellent.  Also saw Miss Jackson and Mr. Wallach in Waltz of the Toreadors.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2004, 09:47:24 AM »

Quote from: RLP on Yesterday at 01:34:03pm
What makes the idea that the numbers were padded seem silly is that studios DO NOT PAD GROSSES....  Therefore, NOBODY is going to overinflate the grosses 'cause it means folks'll have to be paid more than the movie earned otherwise.

And S. Woody replied:

Huh?  Say WHAT?  

How quickly people forget.

The courts ordered Eddie Murphy to pay Art Buchwald a percentage of his earnings (19%) for the film Coming to America (1988) because Murphy didn't credit Buchwald with the idea for the film.  After that, there was a very public fiasco about the accounting on the film, where it was claimed that Murphy and the studio hadn't earned a dime on the film, dispite it's having earned millions at the box office.  It was subsequently discovered that these accounting practices were common throughout the film industry.

And there is no evidence that the accounting practices have changed.

Well, DR S. Woody, I think you're proving MY point here...nobody "inflated" grosses in this instance...that entire issue, after Buchwald's participation was acknowledged, IIRC, was whether the film had ever made a profit...and accounting in Hollywood is very weird, making it totally necessary for you to know whether your dividends come after net or gross.

I was discussing overinflating the reporting of grosses for some reason or other....in yesterday's case, it would have been for political purposes, which would be something new, I suppose, in the practice of reporting earnings.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 10:43:00 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2004, 09:49:50 AM »

Good Afternoon!

It's a gorgeous day here in Fairfax, VA.  I just took the dog out for his walk, and I'll definitely have to take a longer walk this afternoon.  I would have gone for a longer walk, but my brother's dog is a chihuahua, and I would have ended up carrying him after a while.  -I think.

As for Off-Broadway shows, I'm not too sure about ones from the 60's, but from the recent crop...  Hmmm... I'm going to have to think about this one...

However, I know I was not too fond of Ricky Ian Gordon's Dream True.  And I really wanted to like the show especially since the cast included Steven Skybell, Michael Cole, Judy Kuhn, Jessica Molaskey, Daniel Jenkins and Jeff McCarthy.  There were some interesting moments, but that was about it.  I knew it was going to be a "long" evening in the theatre when I found myself listening more to the orchestration than what was on stage.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2004, 09:52:50 AM »

I don't know what's going on, but in my post above I went into "Modify" in an attempt to make some type smaller, bold, etc., and I was unable to make ANY modifications at all.

I tried and tried and tried.   Nothing.  Zilch,  Nada.

What's going on?  Anyone else having these problems?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up