Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A DEATH IN THE FAMILY  (Read 27113 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: A DEATH IN THE FAMILY
« Reply #300 on: April 08, 2009, 06:55:05 PM »

It is the Seder I miss most of all.  I do not miss the fish.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2009, 06:55:33 PM »

That damned dog is still barking.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #302 on: April 08, 2009, 06:55:59 PM »

I wish I was celebrating Passover so I could have some good gefilte fish.

Is there such a thing?

It doesn't look so good in the store.

When I lived in Seattle, my roommate's mother would move in with us every year for Passover.  Her gefilte fish (a combination of salmon and white fish) was incredible.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #303 on: April 08, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »

DR elmore, if you said before I missed it.  Is the owner home during the day with the dog?

Jane

« Reply #304 on: April 08, 2009, 06:57:07 PM »

Is there such a thing?

When I lived in Seattle, my roommate's mother would move in with us every year for Passover.  Her gefilte fish (a combination of salmon and white fish) was incredible.

This sounds intriguing.

Jane

« Reply #305 on: April 08, 2009, 06:58:03 PM »

I have been reading an interesting bit of history.

"Abraham Lincoln Was Assassinated During Passover.  According to the American Jewish Historical Society, many Jews were in synagogue for the holiday when the news of Lincoln's assassination broke. Altars in temples "were quickly draped in black and, instead of Passover melodies, the congregations chanted Yom Kippur hymns. Rabbis set aside their sermons and wept openly at their pulpits, as did their congregants." Sadly, a time that was supposed to be full of celebration became one of mourning."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #306 on: April 08, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »

Is there such a thing?

This sounds intriguing.

She said it was salmon, whitefish, onion, and carrots; but she said she couldn't tell me what else was in it, or the Rabbi would have to kill me.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #307 on: April 08, 2009, 07:00:01 PM »

DR elmore, if you said before I missed it.  Is the owner home during the day with the dog?

At times. He's a student. The damned dog has barked steadily for over 2 and a half hours and i am getting quite sick of this crap because it;'s happening more and more often.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #308 on: April 08, 2009, 07:02:18 PM »

I have been reading an interesting bit of history.

"Abraham Lincoln Was Assassinated During Passover.  According to the American Jewish Historical Society, many Jews were in synagogue for the holiday when the news of Lincoln's assassination broke. Altars in temples "were quickly draped in black and, instead of Passover melodies, the congregations chanted Yom Kippur hymns. Rabbis set aside their sermons and wept openly at their pulpits, as did their congregants." Sadly, a time that was supposed to be full of celebration became one of mourning."

That is interesting, I never knew that.  Since they were suffering through OUR AMERICAN COUSIN, I always assumed that it was Thanksgiving.   :)
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #309 on: April 08, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #310 on: April 08, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »

I loved the finale of LIFE! Please, NBC, please, don't kill it!

Jane

« Reply #311 on: April 08, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »

At times. He's a student. The damned dog has barked steadily for over 2 and a half hours and i am getting quite sick of this crap because it;'s happening more and more often.

Then he should be home studying.  Have you thought about having the dog spend a few hours with you if you are home?  You might enjoy it and the dog would stop barking ;)

Jane

« Reply #312 on: April 08, 2009, 07:13:23 PM »

I loved the finale of LIFE! Please, NBC, please, don't kill it!

We won't be watching it tonight.  Instead we have THE CHANGELING here.  Until tonight I didn't realize it is based on a true story.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #313 on: April 08, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »

Then he should be home studying.  Have you thought about having the dog spend a few hours with you if you are home?  You might enjoy it and the dog would stop barking ;)

I don't want the dog. I just want it to be quiet more often than it is.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #314 on: April 08, 2009, 08:08:42 PM »

It's 11 pm EST and the dog is still barking! This is ridiculous, and I hope it's bothering others in the building besides me because i'm sick of complaining. If others do it as well, maybe something will be done.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #315 on: April 08, 2009, 08:15:50 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... I guess the car is fixed... Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #316 on: April 08, 2009, 08:20:36 PM »

Time to wussburger.  I've promised der B that I'd check, making sure the new BDs run properly (he also picked up Quantum of Slumdog), and then I've got to crash.

Hasta.

(Fun Lost tonight, tho.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #317 on: April 08, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »

In other news...

We ran the show tonight.  -Our first run-thru of the whole show since last week.  It's actually coming together quite nicely.  We have one more run in the studio tomorrow night, and then we move into the beautiful Sottile Theatre on Friday. -Of course, since we go into tech, that means we won't the whole show again until Monday.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #318 on: April 08, 2009, 08:22:11 PM »

ASK BK:

Have you considered using Paul Haber for your Nudie Musical reading?
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #319 on: April 08, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »

DR Laura - Nice video. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #320 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24:16 PM »

Well, here's a Scientology Horror Show: Travolta and Cruise are remaking "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." Another Must-Miss Movie!

What a completely horrible, totally worthless idea! Good lord! People are paid to come up with these ideas!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #321 on: April 08, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »

Well, finally I was able to view "Mad World." I still get that error message at YouTube, but at the Fox.com, I had no problem at all viewing it. I thought I detected a little slip in his falsetto right at the end, but otherwise it was a controlled and rather haunting performance. Easily the best of the night.

DR Matt,  do you have Vista?  I had a problem with the Adobe Flash Player updating.  After searching for a fix, I found that the solution was to completely uninstall the player then go to the Adobe site and intall the latest version.

Thank you, DR Dan the Man, for this suggestion. So far, the update seems not to have taken, so I will try this when I get a moment, probably this weekend. I appreciate the help. Oh, yes, I have Vista.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #323 on: April 08, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »

What a crazy day.  I had a very nice breakfast meeting with an actor/singer named Ted Detweiler - he's asked me to create an act for him, and since I like him a lot, we're proceeding.  He's also coming in to read for the lead in Nudie Musical next week.  I then hurried home, put the Seesaw and Illya tapes in the car and drove them back to the MGM vaults, and picked up a ton more for potential projects.  One of the potential film releases looks incredibly interesting and I'm VERY anxious to hear it - I'd seen the film a couple of months ago, and rewatched it quickly last night on DVD - there is almost no music in the film other than "source" music, i.e. music coming from the radio.  I think there were two score cues lasting maybe five minutes, for chase sequences, with the music dialed so low that they may as well have left it out.  At the time of the film, an album was prepared, and it's running time was just under forty minutes.  Which leads me to believe there was a lot of music written for but not used in the film.  The tape box says "not to be released - legal problems" but since they are willing to license to me, whatever those were (probably the fact that little or none of the music is in the film) have long since disappeared, since the film didn't exactly set the world on fire.  IF it's a real score, then this could be a really cool release - it involves a favorite composer of mine.  If it's just long versions of source music (really doubtful) then that's another story.

Is this the same "Ted Detweiler" who's on the TV series of "Sordid Lives"? Or the one who appeared in the Bacharach benefit? -I don't think they are one in the same.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2009, 08:32:21 PM »

Well, here's a Scientology Horror Show: Travolta and Cruise are remaking "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." Another Must-Miss Movie!

Why do people do this??  Why remake classics??  Why not remake a movie that originally bombed and make it better??

Ugh. :P

I am sure there were people who said that when Judy Garland remade A STAR IS BORN.

Possibly, but the best people in the business were doing it and making it into a musical which added another dimension to the oft-told tale, so it's not quite the same thing.

(Remember the Gaynor A STAR IS BORN was a rehash of the earlier WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD, too.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #325 on: April 08, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »

OK... I'd like to stay for a little while longer, but since I have a 9:00am production meeting... and since I'm already feeling a bit sleepy...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #326 on: April 08, 2009, 08:34:18 PM »

DR Jennifer,

I plan to sample both SOUTHLAND and HARPER'S ISLAND. I have no interest in THE UNUSUALS.

Matt H.

« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2009, 08:37:08 PM »

I began my evening with the rest of the bonus features on THE WAGES OF FEAR Blu-ray. There was an hour-long documentary on the life and career of Henri-Georges Clouzot that was very well done and quite interesting as I didn't know some of the facts they had to offer.

All of the bonuses were presented in high definition, another big plus.

Matt H.

« Reply #328 on: April 08, 2009, 08:37:48 PM »

Next, I sped through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing to see, but the boys are on tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #329 on: April 08, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »

I finally got around to watching last week's SMALLVILLE. A somewhat tedious group of characters, especially Tess Mercer who I have already tired of. I do like Chloe and Davis together. I hope they will continue to develop this.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up