Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A DEATH IN THE FAMILY  (Read 26858 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A DEATH IN THE FAMILY
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:07:39 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were there, and now it is time for you to post until the familial cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: A DEATH IN THE FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: WITHY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:15:57 AM »

Two For The Seesaw is sold out at Kritzerland.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:26:43 AM »

I'm glad I bought my copy.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:03:55 AM »

Well, that was quick for Two for Seesaw, congrats, bk.   Thank you again for the notes today.

DAW

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 01:26:54 AM »

bk - that can't have been very easy to write about.

Thank you!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 02:30:33 AM »

I also lost both parents before I was thirty.  My father, who was 78, died of a stroke when I was about 24 and my mother (55) died from cancer 3 years later.

I had (and still have) "issues" with both of them.  Nothing was ever "settled".

I find that I can write about my father...taking some dramatic license...but I've never really been able to write about my mother in a 3-dimensional way.

:(
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:32:41 AM by Druxy »
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 02:36:15 AM »

I've been up since about 2:00.

There was a leak from the ceiling in our hotel room.  In fact, part of the ceiling fell in.  They moved us to another room and, even though I'd taken a sleeping pill, I can't seem to get back to sleep.  And, I have to get up at six to drive my wife to the airport.

:(
You can dream…or you can do.

DAW

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 02:43:17 AM »

I have to get up at six to drive my wife to the airport.

Is she tired of your new location already?       ;)

That's awful about your hotel room.     :(

DAW

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 02:44:48 AM »

My business dinner last night was most delightful.  Here's the menu.

I had the spinach salad, followed by the Kona Crusted Dry Aged Sirloin with mashed potatoes, followed by NO dessert.    :)

DAW

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 03:15:18 AM »

Wouldn't the world be a happier place if we each had our own Jumperoo?

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 04:32:15 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  I woke up at 6:30am and am at my desk tending to things that I've put off too long.  This afternoon I will take my aunt for what seems to have become her weekly visit to the optician.  She has 2 pairs of glasses to pick up today and, with any luck, this will be the LAST time we have to go there.

BK, today's notes are heart-wrenching.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 04:39:17 AM »

Thank you for a wonderful set of notes and thank you for sharing.

My parents have been very supportive of me over the years and I know one day they won't be around anymore.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 04:48:19 AM »

Good Morning Michael

Ben

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 04:48:47 AM »

In a few weeks Bruce will be in New York on 24th Street between 6th Avenue and Broadway.

DAW

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 04:53:41 AM »

A JOYOUS PESACH FOR THOSE SO INCLINED!!!

DAW

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 04:54:33 AM »

In a few weeks Bruce will be in New York on 24th Street between 6th Avenue and Broadway.

And which corner will you be working, DR Ben??        ;)

Michael

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 04:58:06 AM »

I started to write my comments about the show I saw last night and it turned out there are quite few. I don't have time to write them all right now I have to go to work.

DR. Arnold Brockman: You were right!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 04:58:30 AM »

Good Morning Michael

Good Morning back to you.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 05:00:36 AM »

I don't know if I said anything about it but I saw Impressionism a few weeks ago.

I saw the two act version, not the cut version. Let me just say that the reviews got it right. There is a great performance by Andre de Shields but the play is dull, slightly pretentious and a waste of good talent. It doesn't sound like it changed much from the two act to the one act (no intermission).

I also saw Hair. God, I feel old! While I didn't dislike the production I do find the drooling over Hair as a groundbreaking, vital and important piece of musical theatre to be a bit much. I first saw an awful, dreadful and embarrassing production in 1971. It was a bus and truck that came through Saint Paul. I left thinking "what's all the fuss about?" I then saw the movie and, from what I gather, I'm in the minority but I think the movie made sense of the stage show and is a much, much, much better production. I loved the movie! I didn't see either recent the concert version of Hair or the production in the Park this past summer but the show appeared on TDF and I decided to go. As I said, it's a good production. There is lots of energy and flash and some solid performances but it's all window dressing. The show, in my humble opinion, is nothing more than a rock concert with a paper thin story and some chunks of dialogue to make you think there is a book. The songs are a lot of fun and the actors have a great time running all over the Hirschfeld Theatre, including up to the last rows of the balcony where I was sitting. I wasn't particularly moved by Easy to Be Hard (I was moved by that sequence in the movie) or any other portion. The audience ADORED, LOVED, SALIVATED and generally had orgasms over the show, screaming and cheering for every number. Much of the audience was younger than me and they rushed to the stage at the end to dance with the cast. I sound like an old coot but all I wanted to do was go home and go to bed. I had to get to work the next morning ;)

Ben

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 05:02:10 AM »

Oh, yes. Happy Passover/Pesach to those who celebrate.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 05:03:24 AM »

Bk, I am sure the notes today were difficult to write.  Thank you for sharing that part of your life.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 05:10:59 AM »

I also saw Irena's Vow. It got very good reviews Off-Broadway at the Baruch Theatre on 23rd Street but it sold out and I couldn't get a ticket.

When it transferred to the Walter Kerr it appeared on TDF so I got a ticket.

Again, I feel like an old curmudgeon but it's a Hallmark Channel movie for the most part. Tovah Feldshuh is excellent in the role but it's not the emotional, powerful story I thought it would be. The play is almost a one-woman show but not quite. Those pesky other characters keep bumping into the story. They are, for the most part, underdeveloped. I wanted to see more of them, both character-wise and number wise. She saved 13 Jews but we only saw 3. The potential for storytelling and powerful emotional moments is there but it never really happens (at least for me).

Again, I will say the audience around me loved the show and many were crying at the end. For me, the most interesting part of the show was at the end after the Curtain Call when the daughter of Irena Gut Opdyke came out and answered questions about her mother. At first I thought (and they made it seem) that it was a one-time appearance but apparently she will be at every performance through the end of April to speak to the audience after the show.

And now I'll move on to the Valero Energy Foundation, a meeting at 11am and other work in the RH.

I also have to rest up for my marathon theatre weekend.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 05:11:03 AM »

Ben, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy HAIR.  I was reading the Entertainment Weekly review last evening before bed, and I was wishing that I could be there to see the show.

We had a Seattle company of HAIR, back in 1989 or 70.  It played there for over a year.  I enjoyed it.  Of course, the OBC recording was required listening at every college cast party.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 05:13:23 AM »

TCB, it's 5am! I hope you're OK.

Ben

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 05:14:13 AM »

Yes, the cast recording of Hair was high on the list of albums to be played at parties in the late 60s and early 70s, especially Sodomy.

DAW

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 05:20:39 AM »

DR Ben, thanks for sharing your theatre-going thoughts with us.     :)

DAW

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 05:22:37 AM »

And good morning to you all, gentlemen!

DAW

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 05:22:48 AM »

And others.

DAW

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 05:23:25 AM »

To paraphrase Anna Russell.    :)