Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE  (Read 22979 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2009, 09:43:38 AM »

Probie is the masculine form of the noun.  The feminine form is probette.

Just saying.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »

TOD:

My first cell phone was for emergencies, but i'd often use it for placing an order at the Indian restaurant. I soon found that I didnt need it or the monthly charge. I've had three cell phones now, but haven't bonded with any of them. I'm currently shopping for something I actually LIKE. I'm looking into AT&T's plan. I don't want to be locked into a high monthly rate, but need the latitude to make calls when I need to.

Any recommendations (pro or con)?

I don't know anyone who has been happy with AT & T.  Second, wait until you are settled in your new location.  I suggest you then research & choose the service that works best in that area.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »

If you goose a gander, there will be a reaction, I'm tellin' ya!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »

Der Brucer has a doctor's appointment later today.

He's expecting me to do the driving.

Aren't you all glad you won't be sharing the road with me here in Delaware today?

::)

Jane

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »

DR MBarnum my computer is wireless as is the laptop.  Keith set them up so I have no idea how it was done.  In nice weather he takes the laptop outside & sits on the deck instead of using his main computer, which has a direct internet connection.

DR DtM, feel better soon from your mysterious illness.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »

Aren't you all glad you won't be sharing the road with me here in Delaware today?

Does this mean you've gotten a license?  Or are you going to be scofflawing?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2009, 09:49:09 AM »

FWIW:  My DVD of "Rome Adventure" is not a brown mess.  My TV has several different settings for color saturation and two of them would make it a brown mess.  I've chosen one that brightens things up and this movie, along with other WB titles that get blasted for being brown, looks just fine.

The skies are blue.  Troy's eyes are, too!  The scenery is spectacular and natural looking.  Been there, seen it, and know it to look exactly as depicted on this DVD.  The buildings are the actual colors in reality, and the tile roofs are that wonderful clay-red shade I see on the DVD.

When Troy and Suzanne are travelling "up north", there are a couple of scenes of them in riding along a road bordered with Italian pines...all of which were shot around Rome and used, willy nilly, for filler in the northern segment (northern Italy looks nothing like central or southern Italy).

Does any of this mean I think it has a Technicolor pop?  No.   I've never seen it like that.  I doubt many others have, either.  It looks better than any version I've ever seen of it, though.  And that's more than tolerable.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:59:59 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2009, 09:52:15 AM »

Any cell phones in this (immediate) family belong to der Brucer.  And neither of us like them.  They are for emergencies, or to contact someone in a quick call while we are on the road.

We have (or had) DR Jose's number on our phone, thanks to a couple of trips to DC and a gathering of the Hainsies in NYC. 

Der B's daughter is a cell phone addict.  Cell phone addicts have brains made of jelly.  Enough said.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2009, 09:54:04 AM »

I shall not say.  Oh, no, I shall not say... at this time.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2009, 09:54:43 AM »

I shall not say.  Oh, no, I shall not say... at this time.

AH-hah!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »

FWIW:  My DVD of "Rome Adventure" is not a brown mess.  My TV has several different settings for color saturation and two of them would make it a brown mess.  I've chosen one that brightens things up and this movie, along with other WB titles that get blasted for being brown, looks just fine....

So, you're suggesting that anyone with WB titles getting lots of Brownie points should try adjusting their sets, right?

Makes sense to me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »

FWIW:  My DVD of "Rome Adventure" is not a brown mess.  My TV has several different settings for color saturation and two of them would make it a brown mess.  I've chosen one that brightens things up and this movie, along with other WB titles that get blasted for being brown, looks just fine....

So, you're suggesting that anyone with WB titles getting lots of Brownie points should try adjusting their sets, right?

Makes sense to me.

I'm saying that my set was "pre-set" to one of the options and said option was way too dark and brown for my tastes.  I tried the other options and found the ideal one for me.   

I'll concede, however, that if one's setting makes some films look spectacular and others look drab, then it's probably at the best setting for that set.  I don't know what kind of encoding DVDs come with that allows TVs to adjust.  It's possible some TVs don't auto-adjust for encodings.

I'm also saying that what I'm seeing is different from what others say they're seeing.  Therefore, it's possible my set is auto-correcting based on encoding signals it gets from the DVDs.  I don't know of any other way to explain why my DVD looks bright and natural and someone else's comes off as a brown mess.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:05:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2009, 10:07:04 AM »

Have any other DRs noticed a sudden surge in spam in their spam-email boxes over the past two days?  -Just wondrin'.

I thought I had, but it turned out that I was just in an email loop because my address was one letter away from the email writer's cousin. (The writer made a documentary on a musical subject that interested me, so I wrote him and arranged to buy a copy.)

The emails I was getting talked about him O.D.ing on coke after having 3 ways with stewardesses while his friends watched, and other icky things  that apparently you brag about to your male  buddies.

After reading that, I wanted to send his DVD back, just knowing he'd had physical contact with said DVD. Ick and blehhh. My only consolation was that the disgust I felt was probably nothing compared to the embarrasment he felt. Or maybe not..
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jane

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2009, 10:15:34 AM »

Yuck!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2009, 10:18:19 AM »

Der Brucer wants to hog the computer for a while.

Everyone have fun.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2009, 10:29:18 AM »

DR edisaurus - :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2009, 10:31:30 AM »

It is hiking time :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I've actually managed to be somewhat productive over the past couple of hours. Gone through a bunch of mail - most of it junk and now in the recycling bin.  I've also sorted through all the junk email too - and found a few that weren't supposed to be filtered to my "Spam Box".  And I've taken care of a couple of phone calls too. -Tomorrow shall be my cleaning day. It will! It will! I tell ya!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »

It is hiking time :)

For me too.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2009, 10:37:07 AM »

I've been noticing many many spam emails for Gevalia and the Acai Berry.

Edisaurus

« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »

Hmmmmm. I seem to be approaching a rather large millstone!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2009, 10:53:47 AM »

Practicing piano parts.  I guess I'll shower in a few minutes and then be on my way.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2009, 10:56:08 AM »

Have any other DRs noticed a sudden surge in spam in their spam-email boxes over the past two days?  -Just wondrin'.

I thought I had, but it turned out that I was just in an email loop because my address was one letter away from the email writer's cousin. (The writer made a documentary on a musical subject that interested me, so I wrote him and arranged to buy a copy.)

The emails I was getting talked about him O.D.ing on coke after having 3 ways with stewardesses while his friends watched, and other icky things  that apparently you brag about to your male  buddies.

After reading that, I wanted to send his DVD back, just knowing he'd had physical contact with said DVD. Ick and blehhh. My only consolation was that the disgust I felt was probably nothing compared to the embarrasment he felt. Or maybe not..

The more graphic and tawdry the talk, the less factual a story is (in my experience).  Over-compensation is part of what drives this.  Overcompensation for "what", exactly, can only be speculated upon.  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2009, 10:57:39 AM »

I've been noticing many many spam emails for Gevalia and the Acai Berry.

Some of them red herrings, I expect, for sexual enhancement promotions.  I get the most innocuous spam sometimes...and it almost always turns out to be some sort of tawdry come-on promoting "enhancement" drugs...!

Laura

« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »

Over-compensation is part of what drives this.  Overcompensation for "what", exactly, can only be speculated upon.  ;)

Perhaps Mae-Ling's fear was reality.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Edisaurus

« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2009, 11:07:22 AM »

The more graphic and tawdry the talk, the less factual a story is (in my experience).  Over-compensation is part of what drives this.  Overcompensation for "what", exactly, can only be speculated upon.  ;)

It did seem a bit full of braggadocio.

DAW

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »

DR Kerry - I, too, love your new avatar!    :)

DAW

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2009, 11:12:01 AM »

***FEEL BETTER VIBES***
to DR DtM!!!!

DAW

« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2009, 11:12:46 AM »

***SAFE DRIVING VIBES***
to DR SWW!!!!

DAW

« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2009, 11:13:59 AM »

DR Jeanne - sorry, no advice to give re: mobile calling plans.   They seem to change so frequently, and it depends a lot on where specifically you will settle and what your needs are.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up