Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE  (Read 22978 times)

Ginny

Re: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »

Question for BK and other cinephiles:  what are some films that use an object passing from owner to owner as their focus.  I know there's one about a gun which for the life of me I can't think of right now, but there must be others.  I'm starting my review of YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE, as if that weren't already obvious.  :)

Brush with Fate, a TV movie based on Susan Vreeland's wonderful book Girl in Hyacinth Blue
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2009, 02:05:45 PM »

Explanation of the phrase "tapioca for pudding," per Bob Gutowski on All That Chat:

"Pudding" was used in the old days generically, to mean "dessert," as in "We had tapioca for pudding!"

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »

Hopping off-line now to do some writing before heading back down to continue today's work project. Then, I'll settle in with some of tonight's prime time entertainment.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2009, 02:16:25 PM »

Explanation of the phrase "tapioca for pudding," per Bob Gutowski on All That Chat:

"Pudding" was used in the old days generically, to mean "dessert," as in "We had tapioca for pudding!"

One of the most memorable movie lines I've had the pleasure of hearing was spoken in "Hobson's Choice" by Charles Laughton to Brenda de Banzie:

"What's for puddin'?", he asks lazily and with no more idea that what's in store for him from his daughter will turn his life upside down, inside out and strike a blow for womanhood when he least expects or wants it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2009, 02:20:42 PM »

I've got my meds, I've been to the library, I've contacted Samuel French about McGlinn's death, and I've work to do on THE MOST HAPPY FELLA.

DR RonPulliam, regarding your book inquiry; do you mean a book that discusses things like what songs Jerry Herman didn't write for HELLO DOLLY!?

Yes...and songs other composers "didn't write" for other composers' shows.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2009, 02:22:38 PM »

Just got my big new FSM/SAE shipment.  Now, I'm as big of a soundtrack geek as anyone, but even I am not geeky enough to collect the composer cards that Lukas sends along.  They kind of make me laugh.

I'M geeky enough to collect them.  I got two packages today and both contained "Ennio Morricone."  I had especially requested Morricone for one of the orders, but I asked for a different card altogether for the second.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2009, 02:43:41 PM »

Question for BK and other cinephiles:  what are some films that use an object passing from owner to owner as their focus.  I know there's one about a gun which for the life of me I can't think of right now, but there must be others.  I'm starting my review of YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE, as if that weren't already obvious.  :)

Brush with Fate, a TV movie based on Susan Vreeland's wonderful book Girl in Hyacinth Blue

Betsy mentioned that very book when I was talking to her about this--one of her faves.  I don't think she knows it was made into a tv movie.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »

I've got my meds, I've been to the library, I've contacted Samuel French about McGlinn's death, and I've work to do on THE MOST HAPPY FELLA.

DR RonPulliam, regarding your book inquiry; do you mean a book that discusses things like what songs Jerry Herman didn't write for HELLO DOLLY!?

I don't think there's any book that deals in any way with such a discussion; the Ken Bloom book on Jerry Herman deals well with the HELLO DOLLY! situation, but I'm trying to recall how I know about the Bock and Harnick songs in BAKER STREET or the Sondheim song in HOT SPOT. Oy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »

I just read on All That Chat that Faith Prince will be playing Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID on Broadway beginning in April.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »

Betsy mentioned that very book when I was talking to her about this--one of her faves.  I don't think she knows it was made into a tv movie.

If she hasn't read them, I'd recommend all of Susan Vreeland's novels to Betsy.  My book group also read, and loved, The Passion of Artemisia and The Forest Lover.  Richard and I spent a delightful evening at a Washington, DC, bookstore hearing Susan talk about Luncheon of the Boating Party.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2009, 03:29:19 PM »

I just read on All That Chat that Faith Prince will be playing Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID on Broadway beginning in April.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »

If she hasn't read them, I'd recommend all of Susan Vreeland's novels to Betsy.  My book group also read, and loved, The Passion of Artemisia and The Forest Lover.  Richard and I spent a delightful evening at a Washington, DC, bookstore hearing Susan talk about Luncheon of the Boating Party.

Betsy also saw Susan at a reading and got her autograph on Girl.  I think she's read at least one other, but I'll make sure she knows about these.  Boy, it helps to have a (former) librarian around, doesn't it?  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »

I don't think there's any book that deals in any way with such a discussion; the Ken Bloom book on Jerry Herman deals well with the HELLO DOLLY! situation, but I'm trying to recall how I know about the Bock and Harnick songs in BAKER STREET or the Sondheim song in HOT SPOT. Oy.

And I'm quite sure I read on these here pages, once upon a time, that everything in "On A Clear Day..." wasn't Lane and Lerner.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »

Has anybody here heard from DR vixmom?  Our "puddin' pop" ain't posted since Friday!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2009, 03:38:29 PM »

Is this workday NEVER gonna end??!!!??

Laura

« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »

I left Mae-Ling's quote up for a couple days so she would see it. (Vixmom, that is.)
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »

DR DtM - that was one of the funniest videos I have ever seen.....thanks for posting it.  I'm putting it on my Facebook page.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2009, 04:02:38 PM »

;)

;) right back atcha!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »

Kerry, love the new avatar!

Actually, I would say it is an old avatar.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Laura

« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2009, 04:13:10 PM »

For some reason, the President of the United States is in town. He is giving a speech at a high school tomorrow to sell the latest stimulus plan.

#1. I didn't know we had to buy it.
#2. I didn't know high schoolers could vote.
#3. Are the students losing an entire day of school for this?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2009, 04:18:31 PM »

***SAFE DRIVING VIBES***
to DR SWW!!!!
We have returned!

The driving was entirely on back roads, on a route that der B had pre-mapped (ain't MapQuest wonderful!).  I will say, driving on back roads is far preferable to driving on Los Angeles freeways.  We only got lost once (thanks to a signpost someone had wrapped around their car at one point, and was therefor pointing in the wrong direction when we got to it), and only one personage believed they absolutely had to speed around me because I was  driving at no more than the speed limit. 

Soon, no doubt, we will be heading to the DMV so that I can obtain my very own Learner's Permit!  Won't that be wonderful!!!  We just won't be doing it tonight. 
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »

The cast of Shrek was just on "The View" - I know those people!  Hi!!

;)

*Good promo for the show - long segment, two(!) numbers.

I went home for lunch and watched this on my DVR.  Very nice!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2009, 04:22:41 PM »

I believe DR Jose and I discussed that last Friday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »

That isn't the one about a toothbrush, I hope!

:P

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2009, 04:24:11 PM »

And I'm quite sure I read on these here pages, once upon a time, that everything in "On A Clear Day..." wasn't Lane and Lerner.

I have never heard that from anyone nor seen it anywhere in print!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »

Just realized that I will be a victim of the switch to digital TV.  I have a small, small battery operated portable TV that I've been using to occasionally watch baseball games, the late news or Letterman in the backyard on summer nights.  The screen is only 3" but it's enough to follow radio-on-the-tv type of events.  Unless they make a battery operated converter box, the thing will be useless to me.

Do ya all think it would be a too crabby old guy-ish thing for me to write to my congressman and demand that he propose a permanent delay on the switch to digital?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:58:02 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2009, 04:30:28 PM »

The Sondheim songs in Hot Spot, "Show Me" and "Who Knows?/I Know," are identified as such in the liner notes for Hey Love: The Songs of Mary Rodgers, an album produced by... dang, his name is at the tip of my tongue... I'll think of it...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:34:36 PM by S. Woody White »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »

I watched last night's THE CLOSER while I ate lunch. I really enjoyed it, but everyone seemed to be SCREAMING during the first half of the show including Amy Sedaris as Fritz's sister and Lt. Tau, too.

We haven't watched yet & now I'll know who is playing his sister :)  I know her name but wouldn't recognize her.

Jane

« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »

Has anybody here heard from DR vixmom?  Our "puddin' pop" ain't posted since Friday!

No.  I sent her an email on Sunday & haven't heard back.  I rarely say this when someone doesn't post for awhile, I'm worried.

Jane

« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »

Do ya all think it would be a too crabby old guy-ish thing for me to write to my congressman and demand that he propose a permanent delay on the switch to digital?

;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up