Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: MOW  (Read 32149 times)

FJL

Re:MOW
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2006, 12:57:13 PM »

JRand, are you and JMK in fact talking about THE LAST CHILD?  Does it say I'm getting old when I remembered (in my post way above) Van Heflin and not Michael Cole from MOD SQUAD?

FJL

« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2006, 12:57:41 PM »

And one for Mod squad!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2006, 12:58:35 PM »

Speaking of Janet Margolin:
PRAY FOR THE WILDCATS.

What a cast: Robert Reed, Andy Griffith, Marjoe Gortner, Angie Dickinson, William Shatner.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2006, 12:59:24 PM »

I understand completely and actually agree with you, but, based upon your own criterion (a great work of art), "Gypsy" can be forgiven a multitude of fictionalizing sins, whereas "Frances" (a sloppy Grand Guignol mishmosh at best) can't.  I think the fact that "Gypsy" was a musical and by that very fact taken as more of an "entertainment" (if you catch my drift) than the supposedly "factual" "Frances" also plays into my disparate reactions to these two purported biographies.

DR FJL - the sad thing is that just a BIT of research would have shown the makers of FRANCES what the truth was...ALL of the information was available, but they went into the project with an AGENDA and no regard for what was a much more interesting and compelling story...

And as DR JMK said...in his commentary on the Special Edition, Clifford indeed said (meaning he was aware he was presenting fiction as fact, as was "biographer" William Arnold):  "It didn't happen this way, but we didn't want to nickel and dime the audience to death with facts...."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2006, 01:00:01 PM »

JRand, are you and JMK in fact talking about THE LAST CHILD?  Does it say I'm getting old when I remembered (in my post way above) Van Heflin and not Michael Cole from MOD SQUAD?

Yes, DR FJL....I remembered you mentioned Van Heflin....but had forgotten the title.   8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2006, 01:00:39 PM »

Ahh, yes....the Tori Spelling classic!

Aren't they ALL?  :o

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2006, 01:02:22 PM »

DR Rodzinski:  "Harvest Home" remains a favorite Tom Tryon novel.  I thought the TV movie was pretty good, too.

Ditto the first version of Stephen King's "Salem's Lot"...VERY chilling.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2006, 01:02:25 PM »

Speaking of Cliff DeYoung: SUNSHINE.

I never saw it, but I have the soundtrack LP, from which Cliff's top-40 song comes, "My Sweet Lady." And I remember my sister had a set of dolls called "The Sunshine Family" which were based on the people in this movie.

How many TV movies spawned hit songs, I wonder. "Time In a Bottle" was from some Desi Arnaz Jr. TV movie. "Brian's Song," of course.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2006, 01:09:54 PM »

Ron, I'm trying to get TPunk to read Harvest Home. Ben's Ant actually gave us a copy. The TV movie remains one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen. Even though, for the longest time, it was shown in edited versions that made the ending somewhat inexplicable. It is odd that they had to edit down something made for TV.

I used to watch it on "The 3:30 Movie" in Chicago. Our ABC affiliate for years used to show movies every day in the afternoon. Might be a week of Godzilla movies one week, beach movies the next, Planet of the Apes, etc. HARVEST HOME spanned two days.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2006, 01:10:18 PM »

Heading for rehearsal....

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2006, 01:10:30 PM »

And what ever became of David Ackyroyd? Anybody?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2006, 01:11:02 PM »

Am on the phone with amazon - my package did not arrive today, as promised.  In fact, it looks like it hasn't even been picked up yet - the tracking notice says "waiting to be picked up" and so does UPS tracking (says they've received billing info but not the package).   I called two hours ago and some idiot with no command of English told me it had shipped and would definitely be here today.  Now, I've got a lady on the phone who's telling the truth - something got screwed up and it hasn't shipped - she's going to overnight me the package so I can have it tomorrow.  IF she gets authorization - which she's doing now.  I don't like when they screw up like this.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2006, 01:11:07 PM »

Sunshine - later a short run series - was a REAL tear jerker....oh my!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2006, 01:14:19 PM »

Speaking of Cliff DeYoung: SUNSHINE.

I never saw it, but I have the soundtrack LP, from which Cliff's top-40 song comes, "My Sweet Lady." And I remember my sister had a set of dolls called "The Sunshine Family" which were based on the people in this movie.

How many TV movies spawned hit songs, I wonder. "Time In a Bottle" was from some Desi Arnaz Jr. TV movie. "Brian's Song," of course.

I remember that shortly after SUNSHINE aired there was an incredibly similar MOW called MESSAGE TO MY DAUGHTER.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2006, 01:19:48 PM »

Bitter Harvest   is antoher movie about farming
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2006, 01:20:44 PM »

WOMEN IN CHAINS--another MOW favorite.  

You know you're in trouble when you're trapped in a women's prison and Ida Lupino is your matron and Lucille Benson is a cell mate.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2006, 01:31:22 PM »

It amazes me that ELizabeth Montgomery never won an Emmy for any of those TV movies she did: A CASE OF RAPE, MRS. SUNDANCE, LIZZIE BORDEN; she was always so good in them. She never won for BEWITCHED either. So unfair.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2006, 01:33:38 PM »

TRILOGY OF TERROR was one that scared the bejeepers out of me at the time. I don't think it holds up so well now.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »

I convinced the online folks to fashion a Julian Slade obit which you can now read on there.

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2006, 01:34:48 PM »

I started my afternoon viewing with a couple of CSI: MIAMI episodes from the third season set.

Eric Roberts gave a chilling star turn in the second one I watched. He does play psychopaths so very well.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2006, 01:35:03 PM »

Harvest Home was a great book.  I read it when I was a kid--wasn't it in first person, which made the denouement all the more horrifying?  Talk about speak no evil.   :o
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2006, 01:36:01 PM »

Then I watched LEGALLY BLONDE. I'll admit that there were some funny moments, but so much of it was so contrived and formulaic.

And isn't the sequel supposed to be even more ludicrous?

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2006, 01:37:18 PM »

I got my Amazon shipping notice yesterday, so I should have THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Seasons 3-4 tomorrow. Really can't wait to see them again.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2006, 01:42:24 PM »

BITTER HARVEST. I saw that one. Ron Howard's cows have eaten tainted grain or something and they are all dying off. Good stuff.

They're just flooding in now...
PORTRAIT OF A CENTERFOLD was also good.
The DALLAS COWBOYS CHEERLEADERS movies. Lauren Tewes was in one.
There was one, kind of like THE LOVE BOAT meets TEN LITTLE INDIANS, where people were being murdered on a cruise ship. I think Tom Bosley was in it.

And THE GREAT HOUDINI with Paul Michael Glaser. That was spooky.

THE LAST OF THE GOOD GUYS with Robert Culp and Larry Hagman. Hagman is a cop who dies a couple weeks short of getting his full pension, so the guys on the force have to pretend he is still there for two weeks, so his wife and kid can get the money.

Ah, memories...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2006, 01:58:20 PM »

And now today, he's hemorrhaging internally.  I may have to bite the bullet, borrow  some money and buy a ticket to Ohio this weekend, if not sooner.  I don't like this roller coaster ride I'm on, I loathe US Air, and I'm uncertain which way to turn.  This is not fun.  I don't know how our DR PennyO managed this megillah at all last year, and I'm more than ever in awe of her grace under pressure.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2006, 02:01:39 PM »

http://www.hollywoodcollectorshow.com/Burbank.htm

I also see Patrika DArbo and Patsy Pease will be there with DAys... Interesting....

« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 03:14:28 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2006, 02:01:56 PM »

Bitter Harvest was a powerful movie.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2006, 02:07:28 PM »

DR Elmore, I'm sorry to hear this latest news. I hope it works out so you can get there quickly.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2006, 02:25:01 PM »

~~~BEST OF ALL POSSIBLE VIBES FOR DR ELMORE AND HIS FATHER!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2006, 02:26:29 PM »

elmore, try what Jose suggested - priceline.com
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up