Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A GENERAL MALAISE  (Read 30128 times)

Michael

Re:A GENERAL MALAISE
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2003, 02:46:17 PM »

In the CD player:  Wagner's Siegfried.

What about his sequel: Roy?
Never stop dreaming.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2003, 02:50:21 PM »

John Does is a registered user I created to test some things in the background. However, I don't see anything wrong with readers creating accounts even if they don't intend to post. There are quite a few features not available to lurkers unless they register.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2003, 02:52:21 PM »

Sorry, Emily.  Just keep saying to yourself, it's only a movie...it's only a movie!

No nothing surprising or shocking in SS, DR Charles Pogue!

John Doe,  I think the police are looking for you!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2003, 03:25:09 PM »

So, Mr. Mark Bakalor is John Doe.  Shocking.  I am naturally suspicious, oh, yes, I am naturally suspicious when I see a John Doe registering, and Mr. Mark Bakalor, you would think, would know this.  I like when people register, I just don't like it when I don't know who they are.  Capiche?  

Re photos: I like them when someone is sharing something that's fun.  I could live without the male and female beef and cheesecake, but that's just me.   For example, I like sharing my art with you.  I like seeing lobby cards sometimes, and interesting photos - anything where folks are sharing something personal.  Photos just to have photos will disappear after the novelty wears off.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2003, 03:29:50 PM »

Reading others talking about THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL being a tradition reminds me I've already watched two of my CHristmas traditions well before Halloween: SCROOGE and A CHRISTMAS STORY, thanks to their distributors issuing the sparkling new DVDs so early. Ah, well, there's always IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2003, 03:36:50 PM »

I played Jacob Anderson (the oldest son) in a 1982 production of SHENANDOAH here in Charlotte. The "Next to Lovin'" number was staged with all this knockabout dancing and romping like something from SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS, and wouldn't you know my character had HIS verse of the song AFTER all that dancing. Thankfully, I was MUCH younger then and in much better shape.

Thanks DR TCB. I haven't gotten around to W&G yet (kudos to DR Ron for a scentillating conversation today that kept me away from it), but I'll log back on later tonight and give you my feelings.

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2003, 03:45:20 PM »

A smelly conversation from DRRon. Was it "fishy"? He is an old sailor after all.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2003, 03:47:28 PM »

Hey, all...just checking in to say hello. I have several things to do tonight, so I may not be on much. I was supposed to see a lot of shows this weekend, including WICKED tonight, but plans were changed, much to my chagrin. Oh, well... I'm supposed to see WONDERFUL TOWN on Sunday afternoon, though...assuming Ms. Murphy is feeling better. I've heard performances are cancelled through Sat. night...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2003, 03:51:37 PM »

I feel that Jason has been far too errant and truant lately, don't you?  Now that his plans are canceled, he can be with us on the weekend, posting until the cows come home.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2003, 03:55:35 PM »

Yes, I know DR Ron is an "old" sailor. All I can say is that he's the salt of the earth.

[no groaning allowed at HHW.]

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2003, 04:17:50 PM »

I know what you mean Matt H!  It's like being a waiter in Hello, Dolly! and having to sing the last verse after all that dancing and a kick line!  OR, thank you Jerry Herman - singing that last note in MAME!

Whew.....who needs aerobics?  Just do a musical!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2003, 04:36:12 PM »

Now you've done it!  I simply have to pull out my DVD of "Hello, Dolly!" right this minute and watch the "Waiters' Galop"!

Shoot!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2003, 04:48:01 PM »

I had fun reading the posts, especially the banter between Maya and TCB.  

Back to my book.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2003, 04:53:12 PM »

DRs Emily and Maya, have you tried Kazaa Lite (http://k-litetk.com/index.asp)?  It is the same thing as Kazaa, only without the spyware, ads, and viruses.  Very handy little program.

DR Tom - I love the movie Greenfingers.  Clive Owen is great!  Also, are you a Hayao Miyazaki fan?  When Spirited Away came out on DVD here, they also released Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service, so I bought all three and like them very much.

I have just come from seeing "Love Actually" which was a cute little film - it's put me very much in the holiday spirit.  There were a little too many characters and plots for my taste, but it was a fun movie.

CD player - nothing
DVD player - Millennium Actress
VHS - nothing

It's a slow day for my multimedia apparently!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Ben

« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2003, 05:09:15 PM »

It seems that the server switch has made for faster loading on dial-up as well as T1 lines. My home service is faster and easier. Glad to see it.

I hope Ms. Murphy recovers soon. I heard wonderful things about her performance from a friend who saw Wonderful Town on Wednesday. Now, she is ill. She's a strong girl. She'll be better.

Ben

« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2003, 05:12:13 PM »

85 posts until Senior Membership. Oh, my. It's a goal to work toward. I will have to interrupt my work this weekend to post early and often, though I must do the laundry tomorrow. I also must spend time putting my presentation together for Cleveland on November 19 and 20. Flying by the seat of my pants. I hope my pants don't rip. That would be unseemly

Ben

« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2003, 05:13:49 PM »

JRand, you need to see if anything happens at 300, only 40 to go (for you that is).

François

« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2003, 05:15:35 PM »

No, Ben!

When it comes to pants it's... unseamly! :)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2003, 05:18:12 PM »

I almost groaned, but then remembered where I was.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2003, 05:27:46 PM »

DR LC. I am never sure if some of those "quiet" UK movies get a release in the USA. GLad you liked "Green Fingers". DR François recommended "Castle In the Sky" but is has not had a release here in OZ. I may import in the New Year as I enjoyed "Spirited" so much. has the UK movie "Calendar Girls" had a USA release yet? I may catch it at our local movies this week. Great cast.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2003, 05:38:28 PM »

Verbosity is my middle name!

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2003, 05:41:36 PM »

Tom, I think Calendar Girls is coming out here around Christmas time.  It looks so cute - can't wait to see it!  There are often "quiet" but adorable UK movies that come out around this time of year, like Waking Ned Devine, Green Fingers, Saving Grace, etc.  :)

I think I've gotten to 50 posts.  Woo hoo!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

François

« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2003, 05:43:06 PM »

Another nice film from Studio Ghibli, inho :

The Cat Returns (Neko no Ongaeshi)

Jennifer

« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2003, 05:44:14 PM »

Oh 250 posts is the magic number. Why didn't anyone announce this. I must see where I am :)

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2003, 05:48:03 PM »

Sorry to report this Jason. But PBOL has Murphy out of Wonderful Town Nov 7-9

http://web.playbill.com/news/article/82662.html

Jennifer

« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2003, 05:49:11 PM »

Gee only 85 more posts to go. I feel like a madwoman! :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2003, 06:11:52 PM »

I have just been absent as I have had my FIRST listen to "Philemon" by Jones & Schmidt. What a charming piece. It may not have met with success but a worthy score - IMHO much better than "Celebration" which I have never really warmed to. ("110 In The Shade" is still far and away their best).
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2003, 06:23:03 PM »

Now for some different listening. I am going "Backstage" with Gene Pitney. Can you believe he has no recording contract? He still sounds great and had hit recordings outside of the USA after this glory days of the 60's. Last recording I know of was his "backing vocals" on a Jane Oliver CD a year or so ago. Don't you all feel better knowing that. Of course I realise that some people will now ask "Who is Gene Pitney?"
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2003, 06:25:43 PM »

OK Jay & Ben. I can't do it alone. Keep up the posts.
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2003, 06:30:06 PM »

Senior membership?!?

Sheesh!  I haven't even made it to full membership yet! :)

I just discovered an ab fab summer job possibility as a tour guide on Parliament Hill.  A very precise $13.14/hr and all the fun you can possibly muster in Ottawa (Ottawa fun is an oxymoron... but whatever... $13.14!!!  That's a lot of moolah!)  Oh and Ottawa is only an hour and a half away by car/bus/train from Mtl.  

I can sooooo see myself doing this! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up