Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DOESN'T PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS  (Read 4315 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: DOESN'T PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 06:54:11 AM »

TOD

Yes. And I don’t need to think about it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 06:55:41 AM »

PG-13 alert for this post:

TCB said last night:  "I had the lasagna, which was good.  It wasn’t as good as mine, but it was tasty."

That sounds like a variation on a line I heard in a Ron Jeremy film, maybe "No one's lasagna is as good as yours."

only I think there it may have been linguini.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  This has never happened before, but both my book groups meet today.  The noon group is discussing Ivan Doig's English Creek, which I found very boring and only read about 1/3.  The evening group's selection is Kevin Kwan's Crazy Rich Asians, and we're going to China Cottage for dinner before meeting at Jan's in Dayton.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 07:02:33 AM »

Happy Birthday to Thatch, whose name was in today's crossword puzzle in our local newspaper.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 07:05:07 AM »

Happy Birthday to Thatch, whose name was in today's crossword puzzle in our local newspaper.

I will not tell him that.  Annabelle would be too jealous.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:06:54 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 07:30:17 AM »

It's ....... a SIGN!

Time to buy lotto tickets?  :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 07:51:05 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  This has never happened before, but both my book groups meet today.  The noon group is discussing Ivan Doig's English Creek, which I found very boring and only read about 1/3.  The evening group's selection is Kevin Kwan's Crazy Rich Asians, and we're going to China Cottage for dinner before meeting at Jan's in Dayton.

I loved ENGLISH CREEK almost as much as DANCING AT THE RASCAL FAIR.  I get lost in he flow of Doug's writing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 07:52:32 AM »

DR GINNY you're gonna be lousy with culture today....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 07:55:18 AM »

DR Ginny what did you think of the book which prompted a nice dinner before the meeting?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »

She always has been as long as I've known her.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 08:01:22 AM »

She always has been as long as I've known her.

:-*

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »

DR Ginny what did you think of the book which prompted a nice dinner before the meeting?

It had its moments and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 08:07:23 AM »

Okay, break's over. Back to the programming. I'm one-third of the way through the score, and would like to achieve two-thirds by this evening.

BK referenced this yesterday, and I've been thinking that the sound of the original ANNIE pit must have been pure magic. I probably posted this a few years ago, but since I'm reviewing it... This a note from a friend who conducted it on Broadway for a while, I think during Sarah Jessica Parker's reign:

Hi Charles -

Yes, it WAS an RMI - which had only 2 basic sounds, each was available as 8' and 4'. The closest sound to the opening of "Hard Knock" would be a mix of 8' harpsichord and 8' lute.

Have fun - it's a good score.

BTW, the show was originally written for 3 reeds, 2 trumpets, 1 trombone, guitar, bass (doubling tuba), Piano (doubling RMI and celestette (a terrible "clangy-sounding" miniature keyboard made by Jenco), 2 percussion, 1 SOLO violin, and 1 SOLO cello. Any parts beyond those were added for subsequent productions, and are unnecessary doublings. (All the flute was originally on Reed 1, but I understand that there is a separate flute book included with the rental, which is nothing more than a copy of the flute parts on reed 1.

Arnie
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:18:43 AM by ChasSmith »

Jane

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 08:08:17 AM »

Will you go as a group once it is released?

Amy

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »

TOD:
I was bullied a lot in high school, and I mostly ignored them because I thought that's what you're supposed to do - take the high road and show you're more mature. Finally, someone shoved me in the hallway and I turned around and shoved her back, and she never bothered me again. And I thought, "wow, if I'd known it would be that easy, I would have done that a lot sooner."

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »

Will you go as a group once it is released?

I'm going to suggest that tonight...

Jane

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2018, 09:11:16 AM »

Thatch,

FJL

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »

DR Vixmom,  the news on your new assistant is great.  I hope she's an asset in deleting your workload.  However I have two bits of advice:
Never forget Eve Harrington and never turn your back!

Eve Harrington studying Margo Channing dance - "But Alive!" of course
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRikWbT6WG0

I keep noticing things in that clip.  First the "Gay Power" lights on CBS nationwide tee-vee in 1973 when they transition to the gay bar.  Then Eve clearly studying Margo, even duplicating her dance moves step for step.  (In the film, it was subtle, but for the musical, I guess they knew everyone came in knowing that Eve was plotting.)

Today, I'm again reminded of the old adage  "if you put a gun in the first act, it better go off in the second or third act" but here it's if you put a swing in the gay bar, it better get used by the end of the number! 

FJL

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2018, 09:18:15 AM »

Meaning that swing hanging from the ceiling, of course, not a "swing" chorus person.  :)

FJL

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2018, 09:20:22 AM »

And I keep marveling: the dancers in that 1970s clip are regular-looking guys, just terrific talented dancers.  in almost all Broadway choruses today, all the men and women seem to be stunning looking.

FJL

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2018, 10:22:01 AM »

I like that expression about culture!  So much better than this Neil Simon line from LITTLE ME as recounted by Frank Rich, which already had felt non-PC in 1982,even before the expression "P.C." came into such modern common usage in the late 1980s.  :)

QUOTE FROM FRANK RICH ON "LITTLE ME" IN 1982:
Mr. Coco, almost lost in the folds of a mountainous smoking jacket, is fine as a curmudgeonly, leering billionaire who courts Belle by telling her, ''I'd like to teach you culture until you couldn't walk straight.''
https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/22/theater/theater-coco-in-simon-s-little-me.html

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:24:35 AM by FJL »

Jane

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »

MAJOR VIBES TO THE MOTHER OF DR SWISHY SARA!

Jane

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2018, 10:36:41 AM »

Recently SS and her family moved in with her parents and now her mother is in the hospital not well at all.

FJL

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »

Vibes from us in midtown Manhattan, too.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2018, 10:57:05 AM »

Today is Thatch's birthday.  He is one year-old!

A Very Happy First Birthday to DC Thatch!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2018, 11:43:27 AM »

And I keep marveling: the dancers in that 1970s clip are regular-looking guys, just terrific talented dancers.  in almost all Broadway choruses today, all the men and women seem to be stunning looking.

I just noticed that, too!  Today, they'd probably not be used a scene like that for any show. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2018, 11:43:48 AM »

~~~SUPER DITTO!!~~~

George

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2018, 11:46:35 AM »

Fred or Larry, did you hear about this?  Steam pipe explosion rocks Manhattan's Flatiron District! :o

George

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »

I don't know how close either of you are to that area (if at all), but it sounds pretty scary.  Fortunately, the article says, "Buildings were being evacuated but there were no immediate reports of injuries."  Whew!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up