Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WENT THE DAY WELL  (Read 27866 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WENT THE DAY WELL
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2006, 02:22:44 PM »

Back from a splendid breakfast/meeting with Alet, and from Mr. Geissman's house.  Must now finish entering corrections on the remaining four short stories.

And here is the cover - if I can post it - as I said, for my money Mr. Geissman has really outdone himself.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2006, 02:23:32 PM »

DR JHVW -- ....Don't worry at all ;  DR Jose is one of the warmest and friendliest people on this planet, and has a smile that can light up an auditorium!  He is giving you a genuine compliment when he remarks that "you are very cute (paraphrased)" and hopefully you can take it as that.

And as long as you are in (I think I got the idea) the Springfield area, and Jose is in NYC and Wash. DC,.......then you are completely safe!  :) :)

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2006, 02:29:54 PM »

Dear Esteemed "you've outdone yourself" BK --

Well now that I've stopped howling with delight, I have to say that the cover art could not possibly be any more perfect, to go with that title !!!!  I don't know whether to pee myself, or go find a long staircase to roll down, in honor of you-know-who.

And thank you for the good wishes on the trip  tomorrow.... I will accept said wishes as my official 2-week HHW Hall Pass, to be away from the Living Room.

To keep me company on the trip, I am taking my copy of "Rewind" with me, and plan to savor it in small nuggets at a time.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2006, 02:32:02 PM »

Td-I can’t find you on the video link.  Am I too late?  Good luck!!!

TCB-I did open yours-you look great!

Jane

« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2006, 02:34:18 PM »

Jhvw-HAVE A FUN FILLED BIRTHDAY![/size]  :D :D :D :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2006, 02:34:54 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from lunch.  I had the "slow roasted pork with pickled cabbage and jalapenos on toasted ciabatta" from one of the 'wichcraft booths in Bryant Park.  Quite deelish - a haute version of North Carolina BBQ.  And then it was over to Crumbs for dessert: red velvet cupcake.  Quite deelish too!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2006, 02:36:20 PM »

Blanche is sooooo cute.  I wish I could hold her.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2006, 02:37:42 PM »

In other news...

I had a grand time at the Phantom auditions today.  Good people behind the table and in front of it.  I also finally got to meet the associate musical supervisor for Phantom today too.  We have tons of friends in common, and have known about each other for about the past 15 years, but today was the first time we actually met in person.   She even commented that I'm "already famous".  -Which was a very good thing to hear since she's now the associate for Mary Poppins too.

*And it was soooooo nice to be playing piano today and not placing notes on a computer screen.  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:39:10 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2006, 02:39:52 PM »

BK - Love the artwork!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2006, 02:52:39 PM »

That is a great cover, BK!  Well done, Grant Geissman!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #190 on: August 18, 2006, 03:01:20 PM »

Spider sculpture....GROSS!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww...................!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be absurd.

That's two pics of the same spider sculpture.

In order for it to be gross, it would have to be a dozen dozen spider sculptures, or one hundred and forty-four spider sculptures.

ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-THREE SPIDER SCULTURES TO GO!!!!!!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #191 on: August 18, 2006, 03:01:26 PM »

Back from a splendid breakfast/meeting with Alet, and from Mr. Geissman's house.  Must now finish entering corrections on the remaining four short stories.

And here is the cover - if I can post it - as I said, for my money Mr. Geissman has really outdone himself.

Oh wow BK, you know I am loving that cover!!!! Just like my vintage paperback books that I love so much!!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2006, 03:04:11 PM »

Oh wow BK, you know I am loving that cover!!!! Just like my vintage paperback books that I love so much!!!!

Like "The Hardy Boys and the Gym Coach?"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #193 on: August 18, 2006, 03:05:05 PM »

TOD media check:

CD:
compilation CD of different versions of Volare that DR Tomovoz made for me a long time ago.

DVD:
Episodes of Buffalo Bill Jr.
1940s B western called GHOST MINE

DVR:
More What's My Line episodes and more MXC episodes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: August 18, 2006, 03:05:30 PM »

I'm happy to announce that Simply Sondheim, the two CD live recording from the San Francisco birthday tribute to my close personal friend, Mr. Stephen Sondheim, is now available for preorder at www.kritzerland.com.  Who will be first in line?  You can hear audio clips, and if you go to our photo/video gallery you can see some wonderful video clips, too.  Go order.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2006, 03:06:39 PM »

That cover, esteemed BK, is downright perky!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2006, 03:19:24 PM »

ABOUT THAT TRIP YESTERDAY...

We left Rehoboth a little later than originally planned (which is what usually happens), stopping for gas, air for the car's tires, and coffee and donuts.

Once we were officially on our way, and after listening to the news and talking heads for a little while, I put the Short/Prince revival of Little Me into the car's CD player.  Fun disc!  After, we listened to about half of the OCR of Once Upon a Mattress.  Then we were in the City of Brotherly Love.

Our first stop was for lunch at Jack's Firehouse.  That's the restaurant owned by chef Jack McDavid.  Wanna see what it looks like from the outside?

Yep, it used to be an actual, working firehouse.  Inside, the original wood walls, floors, and ceiling are still there.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2006, 03:27:25 PM »

For lunch, I went a la carte, while der Brucer had the Chef's Choice.  We aren't really sure if Chef Jack was there, but the choices all met der Brucer's approval, while I was quite happy with my own selections.

For example:

In the foreground is the chilled melon soup I enjoyed.  It was a smooth puree of honeydew, I think, sparked up with some ginger, mint, and yogurt.

The plate in the middle is what was left of the homemade biscuits and homemade strawberry jam that was given to us while we made our menu decisions.

As for the plate in the rear...

Der Brucer really enjoyed the BBQ trio of a pork rib, pulled pork (tangy with a North Carolina vinegar sauce) and beef brisket.  It's something he doesn't get here at home.

Tomovoz

« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2006, 03:33:03 PM »

Hopefully an order has been completed!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2006, 03:33:28 PM »

Ah, the entrees!

Here is where I'm glad I didn't go for the Chef's Choice.  At top, der B's entree is a talapia fillet, swimming in a pool of pureed asparagus.  I am not fond of asparagus.  I am in no way fond of asparagus.  There is no way I will go near asparagus.  This was, once again, the sort of dish der B does not get at home.  He was quite pleased.

I was very happy with my pair of crab cakes, which were moist and meaty.  That yellowish blob towards the top of my plate was the "hot lava," a mayonnaise sparked with a healthy addition of chilis.  Very yummer.

The middle plate includes garlicy smashed red potatoes, broccoli, and roasted eggplant.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2006, 03:35:23 PM »

elmore placed the first order, followed by tomovoz soon thereafter.  Now, let's get some others - after all, for any Sondheads there is that pesky world premiere recording of Farewell.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2006, 03:39:27 PM »

elmore placed the first order, followed by tomovoz soon thereafter.  Now, let's get some others - after all, for any Sondheads there is that pesky world premiere recording of Farewell.

I bet DR George will be number 3!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2006, 03:45:25 PM »

and finally...

Here's an already well-filled der Brucer with dessert!

There was a slice of triple-layered chocolate cake, a wedge of lemon cheesecake (with chocolate cookie crust), and a couple of brownie triangles.

My own dessert was another (larger) wedge of the cheesecake.  It was delish!

After our lunch, we decided to walk to the Art Museum of Philadelphia.  The walk did us both a lot of good, as it settled our stomachs and got us in the mood for being inside the museum.

We entered the museum via the steps made famous by the Rocky movies.  From what I've heard, there used to be a statue of Rocky at the top of the steps.  From what I've heard, it has been taken down by order of the current mayor.  "This is a place for art, not some movie prop," is what he has reputedly said.

I learned something about myself at the museum.  I have little or no interest in art that pre-dates the 19th century.  The Impressionists and beyond are fascinating to me, but those from earlier times carry no resonance.  If there is something to the theory of reincarnation, my hunch is that mine is a relatively recent soul.

George

« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2006, 03:46:32 PM »

Like "The Hardy Boys and the Gym Coach?"

:o

Sounds like my kinda book, too. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #204 on: August 18, 2006, 03:50:56 PM »

From there, we went on the Rodin Museum, hence my new avatar.  That would have turned out better if the famous statue had been lower to the ground, or if I had been taller... no, let's not even think about that.

Rodin really had a thing for sculpting naked men, didn't he!

Der Brucer is puzzled by how the bronze casts were made.  That's something we're going to have to research.

Also, has anyone noticed how few sculptors there are from the modern age that are known by practically all by name?  There's Rodin.  There's Calder.  There's not too many others.

George

« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2006, 03:51:24 PM »

I bet DR George will be number 3!

I'd love to be but I find the darn thing!! :( I went to www.kritzerland.com and the first title is Kevin's DVD.  I saw the Paypal link on the International orders page, but that's the only place where I can find it!!  Help!!  Even the "View Catalog" link starts with Kevin's DVD on my computer! :'(

Can someone post the direct link for me?  Please??

George

« Reply #206 on: August 18, 2006, 03:54:38 PM »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2006, 03:55:02 PM »

How could I ever forget! My Grade School Lunch lady was MOM, and lunch was toted to school in a paper bag. In later school years, the Lunch Lady tried to beg-off by providing coin-of-the realm with which to purhase the Cafeteria swill, but I prefered the home-prepared sandwiches, thank-you very much!

der Brucer

Lunch was usually Salami & Tomato on Rye, Liverwurst and Onion on Rye, Tuna Fish Salad on whole wheat, or Egg Salad on white (Lebanon Balogna of Rye was also offered). Speaking of which - I think I'll raid the ice box for some Lebanon Bologna for lunch!

My dad made my lunches through my whole school career. But we had lunch ladies at school who sold milk and hot lunches and kept everyone in line.

Actually the only time I ever got paddled at school, which still happened in Indiana during my time there, was because I started a sort of mini-riot in the lunchroom. I had a singing group called The Hippies, and we sang TV show themes and whatnot. Then a rival group started, "The Head Band," which is fine, but they did all our material. So it got out of hand for a few minutes.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #208 on: August 18, 2006, 03:55:29 PM »

SWoody, I appreciated your individualized thank yous yesterday.

François de Paris

« Reply #209 on: August 18, 2006, 04:02:07 PM »

I've just found that out and I have to share this with all of you:

Dame Julie Andrews can STILL carry a tune!

The proof is here! It's just a clip but.... it sings for itself!

http://www.julieandrewscollection.com/site/mp3/JulieAndrews_TheShowMustGoOn23sec.mp3
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 04:17:49 PM by François »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up