Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TICKLED PINK  (Read 27846 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TICKLED PINK
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2005, 02:31:29 PM »

We are under a tornado watch until 7 p.m. tonight. We had a little shower earlier this afternoon (very light and very brief), but right now, things look fine outside.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2005, 02:34:51 PM »

Page 8 Dance!!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2005, 02:35:47 PM »

I have some afternoon chores that must get done now. Will be back later in the evening.

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2005, 02:36:26 PM »

Oh, and a reminder for those fans of the show that RENO 911! has another new episode on tonight on Comedy Central.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2005, 02:38:32 PM »

Oh good!! I hope you like it.  They are my favorite band (guess its all those Scottish/Irish/English genes I'm carrying)

Must empty out my mailbox I guess!!

Vixmom, I really like it! ;D It's quite good.  Thanks yet again! :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2005, 03:03:18 PM »

Back from lunching with Grant.  We won't be able to do the demo until tomorrow afternoon.

Now off to ship two packages, and then must get ready for opening night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2005, 03:18:58 PM »

TOTD: The books to which I am most likely to refer - despite the fact that they are both so outdated - are Stanley Green's "The World Of Musical Comedy", and Arthur Jackson's "The Book Of Musicals". The latter includes a song list which has been handy to check the source of many "show songs".

Most of my other theatre related books have been mentioned by DR readers.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2005, 03:45:43 PM »

Richard Valley sent me this excerpt from his upcoming Rewind review - I can't wait to see the finished review.

"Bruce Kimmel has written his new novel, Rewind, with a laptop dipped in venom. The showbiz savvy story is the sort of work one might expect if the late literary master of suspense, Cornell Woolrich (creator of “Rear Window,” The Bride Wore Black, and I Married a Dead Man), had penned a column for Daily Variety or The Hollywood Reporter. Rewind is pure fiction, though—a happy happenstance, since any living, breathing person who found himself within its pages might drop on the spot and spend the next several years spinning in his grave."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2005, 03:45:52 PM »

TOD:

I love me "Variety: Book of Show Business Awards"

I love all the Ethan Mordden books.

I love "Not Since Carrie."

I love all the Pictorial Histories (in widely varying degrees, of course, of movie studioes (MGM, Fox, Paramount, RKO, Columbia and WB).  The MGM book is best of them all...for content, visual aesthetics, etc.  The Fox book is plain and disappointing, visually, but invaluable as reference.

I love the oversized Hollywood Musicals book (glossy black dust jacket with color photo from "Barkleys of Broadway" on cover.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 03:52:51 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2005, 04:15:05 PM »

Thou Swell, Thou Witty has exhaustive Hart Lyrics and lots of marvelous photos from original stage productions.

And my copy of this book has a lovely inscription from the person who gave it to me as a gift - DR elmore!

I also like Mary Martin's My Heart Belongs and Deborah Grace Winer's The Night and the Music:  Rosemary Clooney, Barbara Cook, and Julie Wilson Inside the World of Cabaret.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2005, 04:39:28 PM »

Thanks for the Mannix link, Rodzinski.  Love, love, love that album.  Schifrin rerecorded it a few years ago (along with most of his other stuff), but I always enjoyed the original.  Do you have his early Latin/Bossa Nova stuff?--it's fantastic.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2005, 04:51:42 PM »

And I would still like them to do "SURVIVOR: Big Jewish Wedding"  

Preferably where at least one set of parents is divorced, one of the affianced is not Jewish, and a sibling of the bride is gay.

Let's really make it interesting and have an intractable caterers' strike in process.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2005, 05:17:10 PM »

TOD (sort of) - I'm at work tonight, catching up on professional reading and came across reviews of 3 upcoming books that may be of interest:

Sept. 25 release - The Art of the American Musical: Conversations with the Creators, by Jackson R. Bryer and Richard A. Davison

Nov. 1 release - Flower Drum Songs: The Story of Two Musicals, by David H. Lewis

Dec. 31 release - Before the Parade Passes By: Gower Champion and the Glorious American Musical, by John Anthony Gilvey
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2005, 05:21:23 PM »

Evening all!

I know I'm late but:

Here is a gift for you.  As I promised so long ago, Here is my Michael Crawford Rose that bloomed this very day, just in time for your Birthday!

Another view.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2005, 05:25:50 PM »

Michael, I hope your back feels much, much better.  Take it easy and rest.  I've never had back problems but have had to deal with them all my life because of my Mom.

Healing Vibes to you!  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2005, 05:26:45 PM »

Danise, the Michael Crawford rose is bee-you-ti-ful!  I've already emailed one of your pictures to my mother, who loves roses and Michael Crawford.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2005, 05:27:45 PM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers. Today is my day to sit in the office and wait for the printer people to fix the new printer we've had for three weeks.  After the fuser failed, the technician told us the machine already had 9,000 copies on it before it was delivered to us. Our contract was for a new printer. The folks in the printer sales office explained that in their industry, they can sell a demo machine for full price and  apparently not even have to tell you that it's not the new one you paid for. Isn't that interesting? I had words with them, but I don't think it will do any good. Anyway, they were supposed to be in to repair it on Friday, then Monday, now today. They never call to tell us they aren't coming.

If I were you, Laura, I would warn those printer sales office people, that it isn't a good idea to mess with God!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2005, 05:31:04 PM »

As for the Gulf Coast.  My friend and I cried this morning at work while we watched some of the stories on the net this morning.  

So much horror, pain and loss.  Not just for the humans but for the animals as well.  I saw the pictures of the baby chicks and it broke my heart to think that most of them will die because there is no way for any one to take care of them.

How scared the poor the dogs, cats and other pets must have been when they were left behind and those waves of water came through.  

If that hurricane had turned...... but for the Grace of God, go I.... is all that I can think.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2005, 05:32:17 PM »

Danise, the Michael Crawford rose is bee-you-ti-ful!  I've already emailed one of your pictures to my mother, who loves roses and Michael Crawford.

DR Ginny, I hope she likes it.  It sure smells as good as it looks.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #229 on: August 30, 2005, 05:37:32 PM »

We also got our first thief, err, make that visitor to the “All You Can Eat” Bar.   :D

Caught red handed/pawed on film!  

« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 05:38:04 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2005, 05:42:18 PM »

Evening all!

Here is a gift for you.  As I promised so long ago, Here is my Michael Crawford Rose that bloomed this very day, just in time for your Birthday!

<SNIP>

Speaking of roses...everyday at Comcast.net, they have a "Picture of the Day," pictures submitted by Comcast subscribers (they usually make for good desktop wallpaper).  Today's is called "Perfect Rose" and was submitted by Shelley.  That's all they information that they ever give you...a title for the picture and a first name.  Anyway, here it is:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #231 on: August 30, 2005, 05:44:33 PM »

Once in a great while, there will be one where it's obvious that the picture is digitally altered but there doesn't seem to be any rule against it.  Just that they can't be previously copyrighted.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 05:45:06 PM by George »

Ginny

« Reply #232 on: August 30, 2005, 05:45:44 PM »

Just in case anyone is following the mini-drama in my life, Elvis (AKA the grant proposal I've been working on) left the building at 3:30pm EDT.  Will FedEx get him to Minneapolis by the close of business tomorrow?

Danise

« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2005, 05:53:21 PM »

Speaking of roses...everyday at Comcast.net, they have a "Picture of the Day," pictures submitted by Comcast subscribers (they usually make for good desktop wallpaper).  Today's is called "Perfect Rose" and was submitted by Shelley.  That's all they information that they ever give you...a title for the picture and a first name.  Anyway, here it is:

It is very lovely, DR George.  I wish I had more of green thumb to be able to grow one like that.

DR Jose, Thanks for the Michael Ball/WIW info.  Much as I like the guy, I don't think I will be heading to NY to see him in that play any time soon.

I have other things I have to take care and this will be my last trip for a least a while.   I will be seeing him, after all, that Sunday.  IF he is still there next fall, I might be able to make a quick trip up for a day or two.

Besides, people at work are talking.  They think I have a fella that I keep going to see.  If it were only true!  :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2005, 06:13:10 PM »

Good Evening!

...Watching the coverage on CNN right now.  One of the commentators noted that in almost all the aerial shots you can see no asphalt.  The roads are either covered in water, or the debris is so many feet deep.  And now there are reports of looting, and hostage situations in the jails.  And just hearing that 85-95% of whole towns have been destroyed...

...And with the Southeastern Theatre Conference auditions coming up in two weeks...  I hope that no one attending will have any horror stories to share...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2005, 06:31:52 PM »

DR Ginny, I hope she likes it.  It sure smells as good as it looks.

You answered my question before I asked it. :)  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2005, 06:35:54 PM »

DR Danise - What a beautiful rose.  Thank you for sharing it with all of us.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #237 on: August 30, 2005, 06:39:59 PM »

Two unrelated, useless bits of information about myself:

1.  Last week my nephew made me watch NAPOLEON DYNAMITE on DVD.  At first I was thinking to myself, "What the heck is this supposed to be about?"  But by the time the movie ended, I found myself loving it.  I am ordering my own copy this week.

;D  :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2005, 06:41:46 PM »

I shall now be on my way to the Dena of Pasa for the opening night.  I shall have a full report upon my return - if that is late, then the notes may be a wee bit late.  Keep the home fries burning.

td

• td
« Reply #239 on: August 30, 2005, 06:41:54 PM »

Though not a Michael Crawford fan I, the rose named in his honor certainly pleases my eye.

Thank You DR Danise!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up