Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DISTRACTED  (Read 19429 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: DISTRACTED
« Reply #210 on: August 03, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »

Of course, I would like to have visited the set of The Sopranos - just to see how it all worked.

Cillaliz

« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »

My mom gives Sam a month before she moves back home.   I think she'll stay there with her boyfriend

Cillaliz

« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »

Ok, time to go pick a couple more tomatoes before it's too dark to see which ones are ripe

Ginny

« Reply #214 on: August 03, 2009, 06:50:22 PM »

Relocation vibes to DR Sam!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: August 03, 2009, 07:21:10 PM »

Twenty more postings until I achieve my new plateau, and then it's on to the bigee.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #216 on: August 03, 2009, 07:39:27 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from Harlem!

It's nice to be home.  -And it's also nice to have the doors to the backyard open too.  It's cooled down nicely in my 'hood.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #217 on: August 03, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »

The lovely DR Samantha

Hi, DR Sam!

~~~~~MOVING VIBES TO YOU AND YOURS~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »

DR Michael Shayne,

I would be VERY surprised if every single person who wrote "millstone" (including me) didn't know EXACTLY what he was doing. That has been one of the HHW running gags for a long, long time.

Could it be YOU never noticed it until today?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »

DR td - If you happen to read this in time, and get to see her after the show, be sure to give Brynn O'Malley a big Hello from me. She's playing The Baker's Wife.

She's quite wonderful!
I'll be seeing the show as a show later in the week - my b'day gift to myself, and I will definitely tell her "Hi!"
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: August 03, 2009, 08:35:22 PM »

TOD - the thing that bothers me about the reality shows is the aura of peril.  Even as far back as PBS' Frontier House, I had trouble buying the isolation and self-sufficiency they were trying to portray.  C'mon, the networks have lots of expensive people and equipment there - how dangerous can it really be?  Would they (the suits) really take that risk?

On the second (or third, I forget) season of SURVIVOR, one of the contestants fell into a fire. The cameraman stood there filming the entire event, and eventually someone from his tribe came to his rescue (he left the show due to his burns). The cameraman was interviewed and admitted that he wanted to help the guy but know it was forbidden by the rules. The producer of the show - Mark Burnett - added that if the cameraman had helped the man in the fire, he would have been fired on the spot!

td

• td
« Reply #221 on: August 03, 2009, 08:35:32 PM »

It's time to run with Dixie Bell.

I would like to visit the sets of LOST, HUNG and TRUE BLOOD.

I have not watched any reality shows, unless you count DANCING WITH THE STARS or shows on The Food Network, in which case, I would like to visit with Bobby Flay, Paula Deen and Guy Fieri.

I would like to make a sandwich with Paula Deen's two sons.
It's time to run with Dixie Bell.

I would like to visit the sets of LOST, HUNG and TRUE BLOOD.

I have not watched any reality shows, unless you count DANCING WITH THE STARS or shows on The Food Network, in which case, I would like to visit with Bobby Flay, Paula Deen and Guy Fieri.

I would like to make a sandwich with Paula Deen's two sons.

I'll take the one who's left.  ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2009, 08:37:29 PM »

I finished the rest of the bonus features on the ELVIS DVD I was working on. There weren't many, and the few that were there were no longer than 6 minutes.

Matt H.

« Reply #223 on: August 03, 2009, 08:40:44 PM »

Then I put in the Blu-ray of the fourth DIRTY HARRY film - SUDDEN IMPACT. Hadn't seen it in ages. Most of it worked OK except for the last few minutes which I've always thought were ridiculous - Eastwood standing on the boardwalk with his big gun in hand, and the three bad guys standing there quaking in their boots instead of firing every round in their guns they had at him. They LET themselves become sitting ducks due to his spellbinding visage. Bunk!

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: August 03, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »

I had some time before tonight's THE CLOSER came on, so I watched episode #8 from Season 4 of THE CLOSER, the one about the make-up woman brutally murdered on the studio lot. I had actually forgotten who did it, so it was a nice revisit.

Matt H.

« Reply #225 on: August 03, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »

Then I watched tonight's episode of THE CLOSER. Nice to see Kyra's real-life daughter playing her niece, and the case was an interesting one. Bruce Davison is always a joy to see, but I figured out the killer before it was revealed.

Matt H.

« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2009, 08:44:40 PM »

I got a couple more Fox review copies: Blu-rays that come out tomorrow: MY COUSIN VINNY and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, so I know what I'll be spending the next two days watching.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: August 03, 2009, 08:52:09 PM »

Kinda like Aretha's hat, I think.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #228 on: August 03, 2009, 08:55:56 PM »

No additional comment needed!

Matt H.

« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »

Now I'm heading downstairs to put my aching body to bed. I know pretty much before I get there that I'm not going to be getting much sleep tonight, but I'll be resting as best I can anyway.

Good night!

Cillaliz

« Reply #230 on: August 03, 2009, 09:20:38 PM »

DR Jose, thanks for suggesting I keep the tomato sauce simple. I cooked up a test batch tonight and pretty much followed your suggestion.    I decided not to make a real spaghetti sauce, but just a tomato sauce I can be creative with later.   It tastes quite good, actually.  It's cooling and will go in the freezer before I go to bed.   

I only used about 1/4 of the tomatoes that are ripe.   I also got the ingredients for salsa and guacamole.  I'll make some of that to just munch on.   

I can't wait until the 13th when my new countertops, sink and most importantly working garbage disposal are installed!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #231 on: August 03, 2009, 09:21:51 PM »

I really love the Jose/Aretha hat photo, thanks for sharing it again

td

• td
« Reply #232 on: August 03, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »

I am quite pleased with my new Nikon camera:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v305/minx_the_dog/August%202009/

Cillaliz

« Reply #233 on: August 03, 2009, 09:27:17 PM »

One really interesting thing happened at my reunion.  I ended up spending a long time talking to a former classmate who moved into my neighborhood when we were either freshmen or sophomores. We also lived near each other when I lived in Spirit Lake.   I always thought, in high school,  she didn't really like me, she thought I was a music nerd who wasn't interested in being friends.  We didn't have any problems we just didn't get to know each other.   

So, here we are 30 years later and we had a great time.   She lives close to where my nephew lives in Wisconsin, so I'm going to contact her when I'm out there.  I'm sure I'll hear from her when she brings her kids back to visit grandma. 

So, even though we didn't get to know each other when we lived 4 houses apart, it's never too late to make a friend. This made going back to the reunion totally worth it.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #234 on: August 03, 2009, 09:28:21 PM »

Nice Photos TD

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: August 03, 2009, 09:28:46 PM »

DR Jose, thanks for suggesting I keep the tomato sauce simple. I cooked up a test batch tonight and pretty much followed your suggestion.    I decided not to make a real spaghetti sauce, but just a tomato sauce I can be creative with later.   It tastes quite good, actually.  It's cooling and will go in the freezer before I go to bed.  

I only used about 1/4 of the tomatoes that are ripe.   I also got the ingredients for salsa and guacamole.  I'll make some of that to just munch on.  

I can't wait until the 13th when my new countertops, sink and most importantly working garbage disposal are installed!!

You're welcome, DR Cillaliz.  As for pizza "sauce", a bunch of "traditional" pizzerias just used crushed tomatoes, with a bit of minced garlic - all "raw", not cooked.  It cooks in the oven.

And there are some "real" spaghetti sauces that only use tomatoes, onions and garlic.  The one addition that seems to be bring it all together is the addition of cheese to the sauce - pecorino romano and/or parmigiano reggiano.  The cheese is the "salt", and acts as a thickener.

Finally, whether for a pizza or for spaghetti, the general rule of thumb is dried basil for long-simmered sauces, and fresh basil for a la minute preparations. The classic margherita is just tomato sauce, mozzarella, and fresh basil added as soon as the pie comes out of the oven.  *And those components also match the colors of the Italian flag: green, white and red.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #236 on: August 03, 2009, 09:31:12 PM »

DR Jose - can you spot any one you know in the photos?

Cillaliz

« Reply #237 on: August 03, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »

Did I mention that my high school's mascot is the Midget?   I bought a midget blanket, just in case they are forced to change it some day

Cillaliz

« Reply #238 on: August 03, 2009, 09:35:23 PM »

DR Jose, thanks for suggesting I keep the tomato sauce simple. I cooked up a test batch tonight and pretty much followed your suggestion.    I decided not to make a real spaghetti sauce, but just a tomato sauce I can be creative with later.   It tastes quite good, actually.  It's cooling and will go in the freezer before I go to bed.  

I only used about 1/4 of the tomatoes that are ripe.   I also got the ingredients for salsa and guacamole.  I'll make some of that to just munch on.  

You're welcome, DR Cillaliz.  As for pizza "sauce", a bunch of "traditional" pizzerias just used crushed tomatoes, with a bit of minced garlic - all "raw", not cooked.  It cooks in the oven.

And there are some "real" spaghetti sauces that only use tomatoes, onions and garlic.  The one addition that seems to be bring it all together is the addition of cheese to the sauce - pecorino romano and/or parmigiano reggiano.  The cheese is the "salt", and acts as a thickener.

Finally, whether for a pizza or for spaghetti, the general rule of thumb is dried basil for long-simmered sauces, and fresh basil for a la minute preparations. The classic margherita is just tomato sauce, mozzarella, and fresh basil added as soon as the pie comes out of the oven.  *And those components also match the colors of the Italian flag: green, white and red.

Interesting.  I used onion, garlic and tomato just as you suggested.   I did add some dried basil and a little other seasoning, but not much.   I didn't know it was better to use dried basil in a sauce, but that's what I used, so that's cool. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #239 on: August 03, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »

Interesting.  I used onion, garlic and tomato just as you suggested.   I did add some dried basil and a little other seasoning, but not much.   I didn't know it was better to use dried basil in a sauce, but that's what I used, so that's cool. 

The fresh stuff almost goes "rotten" if used fresh. If not chopped up finely, the pieces can get slimy.  And the flavors of the herbs are more concentrated when dried too.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up