Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CROOKED NOTES  (Read 15882 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:CROOKED NOTES
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2004, 01:49:55 PM »

And one for Michael Shayne's Dad!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2004, 01:52:29 PM »

The official Topic of the Day:  Water is always good...and I drink diet colas at restaurants, but otherwise I prefer Diet Pepsi.  I do, however, drink much too much of it.  I usually have a 24-pack case at work and stock the fridge there so that I'll always have a cold one at the ready.  Once in a while I'll get a case of caffeine free Diet Pepsi, but I've never had any withdrawal symptoms, at least that I've noticed.

Does any DR have any special method to use to learn lines for a play?  I expected to play a SMALLER part!
What I've done is to get 3x5 cards that are attached by a wire coil and I'd write the cue line (or several lines) on the front of the card, then write my line (even if it's only one word) on the flip side.  I'll also add some blocking cues when we get to that point, to help with memorizing, as well.  AND since it's on the wire coil, if I drop them (which I have done many times), they all stay together!

Will be taking off later on this morning for the wedding of two good friends of mine.  Should be a wonderful time, with many of my closest college friends in attendance.  Just hope it's not too unbearably hot out!
Yesterday, it got to 99° F at the Olympia Airport, which is two miles away from my house.  They're predicting near 99° F today, also!  AARRGGHH!  It's too darn hot!  (a Cole Porter reference)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2004, 01:55:39 PM »

Drinks:

Soft drinks:  Diet Coke is my usual.  But I do do forays into Root Beer (Barg's and Dad's my favs...of the Diet variety); I'm quite a fan of Ginger Ale and would probably switched it to my main drink of choice if I could find it in bottles or plastic and of a Diet Variety.  The only Diet variety we have that I've been able to find in LA anymore is Vernor's.  And while Vernor's used to be my favourite Ginger Ale, over the years it's gotten a little too sweet for me.  I used to be able to get Canada Dry diet at Smart & Final, but no more...and it is my Ginger Ale preference.  But trying to find a Diet Ginger Ale other than Vernor's out here is damned near impossible.  I'll still drink Vernor's though (it's also more expensive than most soft drinks).

I try to avoid soda in cans as I heard it can contribute to Alzheimer's (I guess all that carbonation eroding aluminum or something).

Beverages of the alcohol variety...Hard liquor I pretty much eschew (occasionally Vodka); but I do dabble somewhat with wines.  Like both good whites and reds, but my preference is Red.  I love particularly a good Shiraz or Syrah.  Australian Shirazs, for the most part, are damn near infallible...In fact, the Aussies also have delectable whites and other reds as well. I like their Chardonnay-Semillions.

All around alcoholic drink for me is still bubbles.  A nice champagne is always the perfect choice of beverage for me.  I also like a good Procesco..which is the Italian version of bubbly.

I love Milk Shakes.  Vanilla is my preference.  The best I've found in LA is at the Beachwood Cafe up in Beachwood Canyon in Hollywood (comes with whipped cream on top and a cherry).  A vanilla milkshake and the Milton's DeLuxe Cheeseburger platter (comes with fries and slaw) at Beachwood is just about as perfect as lunch gets.

I also am a sucker for low-fat chocolate milk.  There used to be a product out here I adored called CHUG. Though nationwide, it was distributed through local dairies.  Chug was the best chocolate milk around.  I don't think anyone distributes it here locally anymore though.  I can no longer find it anywhere.

Robin mentioned Egg Nog.  Thank God, this only comes out at holiday time.  Or else I'd be big as a house, lapping it up all the time.  Love the stuff.

I'm now going to post this and watch my computer act up once more and tell me "an illegal operation" has been performed and either promptly freeze on me or not be able to bring up any page from any internet site without me shutting the whole computer off and starting it up again.  We think we may be a victim of someone's spyware.  Computer guy comes Monday.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2004, 02:06:39 PM »

Isn't it funny about Diet Ginger Ale.  I, too, only really love Canada Dry, and I know I used to get it in Diet version, but I haven't been able to find it in years.  Can anyone ascertain that it's still made?

As to water - not for me.  Just don't like it much, even bottled.  It's flavorless and does nothing to quench my thirst, but that may be from all my years of soda drinking.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »

Isn't it funny about Diet Ginger Ale.  I, too, only really love Canada Dry, and I know I used to get it in Diet version, but I haven't been able to find it in years.  Can anyone ascertain that it's still made?

Sometimes ginger ales are stocked in the supermarkets not in the soda aisle but rather with the bar mixers in the liquor section.  Check there the next time you go to the store.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 02:12:38 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2004, 02:21:01 PM »

I just checked my mail (out on the street in the VERY hot weather) and I got the (new) original Broadway cast recording of Assassins!  I might be able to listen to it today...I have nothing planned for the VERY HOT day.

Tomovoz

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2004, 03:02:55 PM »

Just dropping by to say hello. Hope to back in a few hours. No news.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2004, 03:04:55 PM »

BK - I am absolutely positively sure that they sell Diet Canada Dry... mainly because I invariably end up buying a can from the dep beneath my office most afternoons.

The Canada Dry label is owned by Cadbury's which might explain the limited availabilty you have to it.

They sell it both in the canned and 1/2 litre bottle variaties in supermarkets here.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

George

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2004, 03:13:03 PM »

I've been invited to a friend's house on Steamboat Island, which is about 20-25 minutes away.  She lives very close to the water and it's supposed to be fairly cool where she lives!  I'd heard that it's supposed to get up to 99° F today (again) and being next to some nice cool water will be much better than sweating in a sweltering house.  I'm going!  And my car is air conditioned...it'll be a nice drive.  I'll be back later tonight.  Have a good day, everyone!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2004, 04:05:24 PM »

We shopped in Chinatown this morning and bought a fruit called "rambutan." It's like a lychee, but red and hairy.

François de Paris

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2004, 04:21:44 PM »

Dan!

This is family-friendly site, por favor! :o

Wonder what TCB's gonna make of that pic!! ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2004, 04:23:18 PM »

Talk about Chinese Food -- fruit!-- In Bed!! ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2004, 04:53:02 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  This is most unseemly.  I myself just finished watching The Onion Field.  I am now attempting to watch The Sting II but I'm afraid it's already one of the worst movies ever made after ten minutes.

Michael

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2004, 05:08:27 PM »

Hello From Dollard Des Ormeaux, Quebec

There is a party going on.

BK I will buy you some cans of diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale and bring them back with me to the USA where I will send them to you/
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2004, 05:08:29 PM »

DiT - that looks like a toupee I saw for sale on EBAY!  :o

Great KT review from Mr Richard Valley.  Lots of nails hit on lots of heads.

DR GEORGE thanks for the coiled index card idea....never thought of ....very good.

And DR BEN thanks for reminding me of Rock & Rye....haven't had it for many years - but now I WANT SOME.  :P
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2004, 05:17:36 PM »

Well MR BK....I am not sure....but check here at BEVMO....there seems to be locations all over California.  They list Canada Dry Ginger Ale but not the Diet Brand specifically....but it would hurt to ask.  They DO have the Diet Vernor's Ginger Ale!!  A worthy substitute.

http://www.bevmo.com/homefind-Bevmo.asp?area=more

And DRJAY is correct, it might be in the "mixers" section rather than the soft drink aisle.  I should have known he would know where to find the boys AND the booze!  :P
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 05:19:23 PM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2004, 05:20:30 PM »

I'll try the mixers section of various and sundried supermarkets.  The Sting II continues to stink, but it's one of those awful movies that you just can't help but watch.  It's appalling to think that the man who wrote the original The Sting wrote this.  Every scene has a con in it, unlike the original film, and therefore you just assume that there is a con and you figure it out and it's a total bore.  It doesn't help that Jeremy Paul Kagan was one of the worst directors around at the time of this film.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2004, 05:20:46 PM »

DR CharlesPogue I have just ordered your HOUNDS OF THE BASKERVILLES and I got it with the HERE'S LUCY soon to be released box set, so I won't have it for a few weeks....but I am anticipating it!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2004, 05:25:44 PM »

Today is Amelia Earhart's birthday.  

Salute to an American Flying Pioneer and Heroine!  ;D

Michael

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2004, 05:28:18 PM »

Let me know if you find the ginger ale  before I go out and buy them tomorrow before I leave for the airport
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2004, 05:32:21 PM »

I won't find it before tomorrow, that's for sure.

And, of course, our very own dear reader Panni wrote a TV movie about the famous flyer.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2004, 05:37:40 PM »

Exactly!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2004, 05:39:57 PM »

Greetings from Scottsdale, Arizona! That's right, I'm home. My mom isn't, though. She must still be out with her nine-year-old friend.

Not much has happened since wherever I was in New Mexico. Just a lot of sitting in the car.

But here is the picture I promised of the world's biggest cross.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2004, 05:40:49 PM »

And a close-up.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2004, 05:47:39 PM »

Diet Canada Dry is sold at my local Safeway!  In fact, they're more often out of regular and the diet cans /bottles are all that is left.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2004, 05:53:01 PM »

Watched DVDs today:

"Funny Girl" -- IMO, tied for the greatest performance by a musical performer ever committd to film (with Garland in "A Star is Born")..

"Il Gattopardo" -- Criterion issue of "The Leopard" -- I watched the restored Italian version.  A STAGGERINGLY BEAUTIFUL FILM!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2004, 05:58:02 PM »

Congrats on the review, bk!

Yes, Jrand - that's the bottle.

Panni

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2004, 05:59:30 PM »

just got back from A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. It was magnificent!
To prove I was there...

Panni

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2004, 06:00:15 PM »

Spooky! Looks like I'm underwater...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2004, 06:02:18 PM »

I haven't gotten around to The Leopard yet - it's sitting on the shelf like so much fish.  I did check out the transfer, however, and it's brilliantly brilliant looking.  I had the region 2, which is anamorphic but the 35mm ratio of 2:35 which is incorrect.  It's 2.20, which Criterion is (on the restored Italian).  Also, the color on the Criterion blows the region 2 out of the ginger ale.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up