Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WILD HORSES  (Read 14498 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:WILD HORSES
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2004, 09:48:39 AM »

I'm listening, on-line, to a recent BBC radio broadcast interview with Andrew Lloyd Webber

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/

Click on 'Listen Again' and in the BBC Radio Player choose 'Lloyd
Webber'.

Intriguingly, it makes one think much more highly of the composer, since he seems to have a refreshing take on his success.  He considers Phantom to be "a bit of hokum" and knows he's often been very lucky.  It's the first of a two-part interview (the second hasn't been broadcast yet) and I'm looking forward to the next, since it will cover the scores of his I'm less familiar with: The Beautiful Game, Whistle Down the Wind, and, maybe, the new one.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Michael

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2004, 09:50:00 AM »

Question: Is there some way to access old posts (Aug 12)?

yes Scroll up to the top of the page. Click on the hyperlink for column archives and then count backwards. They don;t go by date but by name of the bk notes for that day
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2004, 09:50:32 AM »

MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET   
LOVE WITH A PROPER STRANGER
THE GREAT RACE
SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL

Michael

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2004, 09:55:10 AM »

David Pascucci sings and plays 10 songs by dory and andre previn.

1. Daisy (Instrumental)
  2. You're Gonna Hear From Me
  3. A Happy Song
 4. The Circus Is A Wacky World
 5. Daisy
  6. Give A Little More
  7. It's Impossible
  8. Come Live With Me
 9. I'll Plant My Own Tree
  10. Theme from Valley of the Dolls

It was released on the LML label (Lee Lessack's label that BK has a couple of CDs out on)

If it sounds interesting to you

http://www.lmlmusic.com/artists/pas_recordings.htm

You can go to the site and listen to some excerpts and then buy it if you like it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2004, 09:57:00 AM »

Belated page 2 dance

Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2004, 09:57:10 AM »

I'd thought of buying it but was warned off it by a dear reader who said it was dreadful.

Michael

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2004, 09:57:13 AM »

And one for Strauss
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2004, 09:58:09 AM »

Michael Shayne - You wanted a reprint of my WHAT IF? opening night "review" post. I just looked it up. As I say in the post, reviewing is not my thing. But for historical purposes, here she be:

(from Aug 12/04)
Back from WHAT IF?
The show was quite wonderful. Hilarious, touching, audacious, clever. You name it. The audience loved it.
I'm really not a great reviewer, so I'll leave it up to DR Jay who seems to be so much better at this sort of thing. The performers were terrific as was our very own Jose.
There were some very major celebrities in attendance. I won't rain on bk's parade (a WHAT IF? reference) - but I'll give a tantalizing clue. Sitting in the audience and enjoying the show immensely were two show business legends, each a star in his own right and also as partners in an iconic comedy routine.
I had a great time, as did DD and her BF. (I had to leave the party early because it was very crowded and close and I'm somewhat claustrophobic.)
A Huge congrats to bk.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 09:59:01 AM by Panni »

Michael

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2004, 09:58:18 AM »

I'd thought of buying it but was warned off it by a dear reader who said it was dreadful.

It was me. But I don't know everything.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2004, 09:59:09 AM »

Michael Shayne - You wanted a reprint of my WHAT IF? opening night "review" post. I just looked it up. As I say in the post, reviewing is not my thing. But for historical purposes, here she be: (from Aug 1204)
Back from WHAT IF?
The show was quite wonderful. Hilarious, touching, audacious, clever. You name it. The audience loved it.
I'm really not a great reviewer, so I'll leave it up to DR Jay who seems to be so much better at this sort of thing. The performers were terrific as was our very own Jose.
There were some very major celebrities in attendance. I won't rain on bk's parade (a WHAT IF? reference) - but I'll give a tantalizing clue. Sitting in the audience and enjoying the show immensely were two show business legends, each a star in his own right and also as partners in an iconic comedy routine.
I had a great time, as did DD and her BF. (I had to leave the party early because it was very crowded and close and I'm somewhat claustrophobic.)
A Huge congrats to bk.

Thanks I will put on the What If Review Page.

DONE!

You are under Billy Barnes and on top of Jack Klugman
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 10:08:02 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2004, 10:04:29 AM »

David Pascucci sings and plays 10 songs by dory and andre previn.

1. Daisy (Instrumental)
  2. You're Gonna Hear From Me
  3. A Happy Song
 4. The Circus Is A Wacky World
 5. Daisy
  6. Give A Little More
  7. It's Impossible
  8. Come Live With Me
 9. I'll Plant My Own Tree
  10. Theme from Valley of the Dolls

It was released on the LML label (Lee Lessack's label that BK has a couple of CDs out on)

If it sounds interesting to you

http://www.lmlmusic.com/artists/pas_recordings.htm

You can go to the site and listen to some excerpts and then buy it if you like it.

I don't know David Pascucci personally, but he often comes to the piano bar I like to frequent in L.A.  He comes on a night when the featured pianist is happy to share the microphone and he tends to sing somewhat unusual or obscure songs that are unfamiliar to me, though most of them are quite interesting.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 10:11:55 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2004, 10:16:22 AM »

I'm trying to think of a Previn song I like, and I think I like I Like Myself.  Also, You're Awful isn't.  Awful, that is.  You're Awful is not an awful song.

Maybe my antipathy towards Previn has something to do with films based on a couple of really good Broadway musicals.  Both On the Town and Paint Your Wagon threw out some really wonderful stage songs and replaced them with some not-so-wonderful Previn songs.  But, as I said, You're Awful ain't awful.  But it's sure no Some Other Time!

At this particular moment, it's a whole lot easier for me to come up with Lloyd Webber songs I like: Gus the Theatre Cat, Surprisingly Good For You, most anything from Jesus Christ Superstar.  I'm even appreciating his Oscar-winner, You Must Love Me, which you don't have to love, but you could like.  Especially if you hear ALW's justification for it in his interview...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/

Click on 'Listen Again' and in the BBC Radio Player choose 'Lloyd
Webber'.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2004, 10:21:47 AM »

There was a documentary on Andre Previn on either Ovation or Trio a couple of months ago, and it covered his entire career. I was dismayed to find he thinks so little of his Hollywood years and his work there despite three Oscars, loads of nominations, and a handful of classics to his name.

My favorite score of his is INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, and I think his arrangements and music direction are superb for PORGY AND BESS despite what the Gershwin estate thinks. I still think that single LP of soundtrack highlights is the best single disc PORGY AND BESS ever made.

He has made some terrible comments in his books about some of his finest movie scores, more or less relegating them to being fit only for the trash heap and admirable only to the tin-eared.  

I think he had some atrocious experiences as a musician in Hollywood.  It can be very demeaning and debasing for the true artist if the atmosphere surrounding his or her work isn't supportive of the creative process.  When the studio system broke down and the studios' music departments were dismantled, a hierarchical structure vanished that had protected the artists for several decades.  Virtually all the composers found themselves contracting as individuals to the various studios.  And studios began losing their influence on the production of big films.  The director became "auteur" whether he had the abilities to be "auteur" or not, and the only lines that could not be crossed were the budget lines....until Michael Cimino ruined that for everyone with "Heaven's Gate" and brought down a major studio (United Artists).

So, Previn was at his peak during the period when he was being contracted for his services and given limited time to do his work and being made responsible for scheduling recording time, etc., etc.  I think he was fairly demoralized by the time the classical arena opened up to him and he hasn't truly gotten over it.  How could any composer enjoy his work if the people giving it the thumbs up or thumbs down don't know a minor chord from a trill?  (I know there have been exceptions...and I am certain it comes down to artistic sensitivity -- how sensitive a soul is and whether one can develop a thick enough skin about one's creativity).

Sad to say, none of his "original" work since his last film score has even remotely measured up to his finest film work.  The most interesting music in his opera "A Streetcar Named Desire" are the cues for scene transitions...and they sound like they could have easily been taken from his scores to "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" or "Dead Ringer."

I, of course, cannot say that about "Anne-Sophie" as I've not heard it yet.  But I do remember the PBS "Previn and the Pittsburgh" shows, and the most memorable among them were the shows that featured film music (for me, at any rate!).  In one, he had as his guest Miklos Rozsa...and you could see the adoration Previn held for Rozsa, who was a colleague of the young Previn's in the late 1940s through the mid-50s at MGM.

I do think that if he ever reexamines his film work, he will find much that he should be very proud of.  I believe he will be remembered much longer for that than for any of his "classical" compositions.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 10:27:38 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2004, 10:22:32 AM »

I just woke up from a nap.  I never nap this early on a Saturday.  I hope this doesn't disrupt my regular Saturday late afternoon nap.

I am going to sounds like a philly-stine here, but I don't know from Andre Previn.  I do know Valley of the Dolls, so I'll say that that is my favorite Previn score.

Natalie Wood, however, I know scads about (or at least enough to form an opinion):

Early Natalie:  Miracle on 34th Street
Middle Natalie:  Rebel Without a Cause
Natalie Prime:  Gypsy
Late Natalie:  The Cracker Factory (A TV Movie)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2004, 10:44:42 AM »

I don't have anything to say, but I'm here.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

William E. Lurie

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2004, 10:55:51 AM »

I love the score Previn did with Betty & the late Adolph for IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER... especially the cut number "I Said Good Morning to the Sun" which Betty and the late Adolph used for years as their opening number when they did their "party".

Wasn't there a song (I think sung by Perry Como) called "It Would Take More Than a Pack of Wild Horses Pulling Your Wagon To Keep You From Me"?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2004, 11:01:52 AM »

Every once in awhile the death of an actor can really affect me.  Natalie Wood was one of those.  It was almost as if I lost someone close to me, yet I never met her.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2004, 11:15:41 AM »

Dan (the Man) my sleepy brain couldn’t come up with THE CRACKER FACTORY.  Thank you. :)

Jane

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2004, 11:19:27 AM »

The bracelet I lost in Portland has been found, in tact.  Seems my son’s Sugar Glider’s took a shine to it and Bryan found it in their nest. ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2004, 11:31:02 AM »

Natalie Wood -- My three favorite Natalie Wood films are REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, WEST SIDE STORY, and  GYPSY.  My favortie moment on film, the scene in GYPSY in the dressing room when Louise turns into Gypsy, and see herself in the mirror for the first time.  She was always so much a part of my youth, that I felt like I actually knew her, although, of course I never did.  I've met Marni Nixon, a few times, does that count?

I have to agree with Jay on the PORGY AND BESS recordings.  The Miss Price / Mr. Warfield recording is, to me, sheer heaven and the best one I have ever heard.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2004, 11:35:29 AM »

I loved BOB AND CAROL, TED AND ALICE when I saw it almost thirty-five years ago.  I have no idea how the film would hold up today, but Dyan Cannons' scenes in the therapist's office were, at the time, among the funniest scenes I had ever seen on a movie screen.

.............................. Off to rehearsal.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2004, 11:41:16 AM »

TCB - Forgot to CONGRATULATE you on Scrooge!

Panni

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2004, 11:43:14 AM »

Jane - Great news about the bracelet. Things tend to happen in threes. My earring, your bracelet -- maybe your long lost engagement ring will be discovered in a bottle that floats up on the beach in Cuba.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2004, 11:43:59 AM »

Say a prayer for me today.  I am going to get my hair trimmed/(gasp!) cut.  I might come back with a totally different do.  I hate short hair but I’m thinking I need a change.

Just remember two things, Danise:

1)  Your hair will always grow back (unless there is some medical reason that it doesn't/can't).

2)  The difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut is two weeks!  If you get a bad haircut, just wait a couple of weeks.  It'll grow out and be not so bad...one hopes. ::)

Topics of the Day (I'll admit, they're the most obvious ones...oh, well!):

Natalie Wood:
MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET
WEST SIDE STORY
GYPSY

Andre Previn:
BELLS ARE RINGING
INSIDE DAISY CLOVER
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 11:45:04 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

François de Paris

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2004, 11:57:46 AM »

You are under Billy Barnes and on top of Jack Klugman

Michael!

This IS a family site, remember?? ;)

Jane

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2004, 12:13:19 PM »

George-TWO WEEKS!  :o For me it is six months to a year, depending how short my hair is cut and how long I want it to grow.

Panni-wouldn’t that be something.  Of course I would have to be on the beach in Cuba to be the one to find it. :D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 12:13:57 PM by Jane »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2004, 12:28:13 PM »

Maybe my antipathy towards Previn has something to do with films based on a couple of really good Broadway musicals.  Both On the Town and Paint Your Wagon threw out some really wonderful stage songs and replaced them with some not-so-wonderful Previn songs.  

Wow!  I'm totally confused.  Why should either of these films reflect on your opinion of Andre Previn?

"Paint Your Wagon" was arranged/conducted by Nelson Riddle.  But rather blaming him, place the blame on the director and screen writer.  THEY are the ones who decided which songs would stay and which songs would go.  It was Riddle's job to make it all work based on the restructuring done to the musicals.  Joshua Logan is the WORST thing to happen to musical films!

And Previn had absolutely nothing to do with "On the Town," either.  Blame musical wunderkind Roger Edens for choosing which songs would be included...Edens wrote the rest of them himself.  This was in collaboration with Lennie Hayton, who shared the 1949 Oscar with Edens for best musical scoring.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 12:37:25 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2004, 12:40:47 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Sorry for not posting before now, but I had sort of an interesting/weird morning.  When I initially woke up around 8:00, as soon as I opened my eyes, I suddenly felt sick.  Well, like I was going to get sick.  And then the moment passed.  It was really strange.  Totally caught me off guard.  So, I got up for a little bit, walked around, and then.. BOOM!  The wave of nausea hit me again.  So... I just went back to bed... And about two hours later I got up again, and all seems to be fine.  Although, I'm actually still a bit wary to put any food in my stomach, but I have had a few glasses of water, and my stomach - and everything else - feels fine.  Maybe it was just my body's way of telling me to go back to bed.  ???

-In the meantime, I've been preparing a bunch of mail to be sent out to various people - including some DRs. ;)

Well, that's all for me for right now - just thought you should know.

I'm gonna go have some cereal, and then get ready to head out to the post office - and maybe even some more birthday weekend shopping!  And then to the show...

Laters.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2004, 12:46:06 PM »

But before I go...

If I'm recalling correctly, seeing and hearing Andre Previn conduct the National Symphony was most likely my second concert I ever attended at the Kennedy Center.  I believe it was a Gershwin program and he played the "Rhapsody in Blue" and/or the "Concerto in F", while conducting from the keyboard.

I also remember wandering backstage afterwards trying to get an autograph, and I somehow managed to get to his dressing room.  There were some other people meeting him in there, so I just walked in.  -And I was very nervous.  He was shorter than I thought. ;)  But he did sign my program.  -And, of course, that's one of the few programs that I've lost track of over the years.

Again... Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2004, 12:48:32 PM »

The film version of Paint Your Wagon vaguely resembles the original stage version.

Andre Previn only wrote the music to the new songs. Nelson Riddle adapted and orchestrated it.

Paddy Chayefsky is credited with the adaptation whatever that means and Alan Jay Lerner is credited with the screenplay. Lerner was also the producer and why or why did he hire Josh Logan after what he did with the film version of Camelot. (And the film version of South Pacific).

The songs that were saved from the staged version were:

I'm On My Way
I Still See Elisa
Hand Me Down That Can Of Beans
They Call The Wind Maria
There's A Coach Comin' In
Whoop-Ti-Ay
I Talk To The Trees
Wand'rin' Star

Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up