Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BALM IN GILEAD  (Read 19813 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BALM IN GILEAD
« on: July 29, 2004, 12:00:23 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've received their balm, they've made you calm and now you are ready to post until the ointment and balmed cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 11:59:51 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BALM IN GILEAD
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 12:02:44 AM »

Someone was posting to the old thread when they should have been waiting for the new thread.  Now they should post to the new thread so they can be au courant.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 12:05:38 AM »

I made my post (the last of yesterday's) just in time...a Bells Are Ringing reference!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 12:10:02 AM »

And speaking of balms in Gilead, when I was in the Concert Choir at Western Washington University, we did an a cappella arrangement of "Balm in Gilead" that was one of the most beautiful arrangements that I had ever sung...not just one of the most beautiful arrangements of that song, but one of the most beautiful a cappella arrangements at all (to me at least).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 12:11:32 AM »

Now, I'm off to bed.  Good night all!

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 12:13:26 AM »

Bacon sandwiches.  Nothing better if the bacon is great and so is the bread or roll. No condiments thank you.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 12:14:01 AM »

And a happy birthday to errant and truant dear reader Hapgood.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 01:06:06 AM »

I'm back and to prove it I'm going to bed. LONG day today filled with long day stuff.
Saw HAIRSPRAY tonight. It's really one gigantic piece of fluff. I was pleasantly surprised by Bruce Vilanch. Thought he was very sweet in the part. It didn't seem like trick casting.
Off to bed.

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 01:17:00 AM »

I hope Hapgood has a happy birthday. Maybe he will visit to see if he is remembered!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 01:44:08 AM »

Good Early Morning!

Speaking of balms...  I noticed a little red and bumpy spot of my arm earlier today.  Kind of a rash, I guess.  It doesn't really hurt or anything... just looks kind of strange.  I've put some antibiotic ointment on it, and, hopefully, it's just one of those thingies that happens from time to time, maybe a bug bite or I came in contact with some plant - ??.  I guess I'll know more in the morning...

-Sorry if that grossed anyone out...  :o

Rehearsal was good.  I will admit that I was a bit out of sorts due to various and sundried reasons - my spaciness even caught me off guard at times.  There were times where I thought I had forgotten how to read music.  Well, it really wasn't that bad, but it sounded like it a few times.  Thankfully, and mercifully, BK had a light hand with the wet noodle tonight. ;)

-Hmmm... I wonder if the small, bumpy rash thingy is related to my spaciness... Hmmm... Again, I guess I'll know more in the morning.

But it was a good rehearsal, and it was nice to play all material in a row - or close to a row - for the first time.  And it was also nice for everyone to have a sort of audience to play to and have them react also.

Unfortunately, as I was walking back from the Metro station, and fumbling through my bag, I realized I had left my cell phone at the rehearsal studio.  And, of course, as BK mentioned in today's notes, we move into the theatre tomorrow/today/tonight.  Ah, well...  I do have to run an errand in the morning before meeting the piano tuner at the theatre, and the detour back to the rehearsal studio should only add about 30 minutes to my travel time.  Hmm... but if I e-mail Tammy now.. Hmm... ;)

As for sandwiches...  Almost anything between two slices of bread... But favorites have to be a Reuben (I don't like the ones with a smear of tomato paste on them - ??), Monte Cristo (the sweet and savory and fried combination works for me!), and a really good Tuna Melt!  And one sandwich I haven't had in years, but used to have all the time growing up was fried bologna on Wonder Bread.  So simple, and so good - salt, fat and bread!  Oh, and there was a small catering place in Richmond by the university that had a wonderful cold meatloaf sandwich - some very good meatloaf on wheat bread topped with grated carrots, French dressing and raisins!

Well, time for me to head to bed.  I'll most likely be away for most of the day since I plan to stay at the theatre after meeting the piano tuner to do some practicing and charting.  So, keep the home fries burning for me too.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 02:34:29 AM »

Bacon sandwiches.  Nothing better if the bacon is great and so is the bread or roll. No condiments thank you.
Specially if the bacon is meaty and crisp...an egg always helps too
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 03:06:26 AM »

And what a delight to see my countryman here.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 03:12:13 AM »

Oh well.....

My first professional theatre part was in BALM IN GILEAD...I played Harry, this guy who sat at the cafe and talked now and then.  I was fun!  And that is where I met my wonderful life-long friend Marika....I think I posted the picture of us in the show before.

So exciting to be moving into the theatre....the show is moving right along as well it should.  Jose, be seen be heard....louder faster funnier!  I expect to see you mentioned in the reviews!!

Sandwiches....well I have mentioned my favorite here before, and I hesitated to mention it again, until DRJOSE mentioned his fried bolonga and white bread sandwich....which I also had a lot when I was growing up.  Great with lettuce and tomato from the garden.

But my favorite is of course Spam and Velveeta on white bread cut in half. MMMMMMMMMMMMM.....

The more exotic side of me likes a good Club sandwich with bacon and ham and turkey on toast with American Cheese, lettuce, tomato....no dressing!

I am sure there are others....like the Philly Cheesesteak...but I must leave some for the other dear readers.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 04:01:26 AM »

I don't know - this here might be the biggest ham and bologna sandwich to hit LA in many a year.  ;D

http://www.the10com.com/

The choreographer has worked with Janet and Michael Jackson and won the MTV Video Award 4 times!  I am very afraid!

And wasn't Moses at the Courts Show last June with Mr BK?

Previews start September 18 (WHAT IF will just escape the overlap) and tickets can be had for $102.50 - get 'em now.  And if anyone is going, let me know - I want a souvenir book and Playbill!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 04:36:15 AM »

A balm in the gilead definition

medium-sized fir of northeastern North America; leaves smell of balsam when crushed; much used for pulpwood and Christmas trees
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 04:37:30 AM »

Fav Sandwhiches

3 decker club sandwhiches
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 04:37:57 AM »

And oh yes I also like French Dip
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 05:40:27 AM »

Salami on rye.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 05:52:13 AM »

Yesterday for lunch I had one of my favorite sandwiches:  a greek sandwich with feta, spinach, tomatoes, onions and a layer of mozzarella.  Served hot on a french baguette.  Sometimes, I'll ask for anchovies or black olives on it, too.

I also like paninni sandwiches, preferable with grilled chicken and roasted red peppers.

Also, I recently discovered a chicken salad sandwich with a creamy pesto sauce on toasted raisin bread at a local bakery/eatery called Le Bus here in Philly.  At another Le Bus location, they have a yummy Cajun crab cake sandwich served on a toasted onion roll.

And then there's the mysterious grilled chicken sandwich which is available at a local lunch truck a few blocks from my office building.  I have no idea what the guy marinates the chicken in, but there must be crack in it cuz it's addictingly delicious.  I'll often go there with a friend from my office so we can get three of them and split the one so that we each wind up with one and a half sandwiches.  

Now I'm hungry...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 06:04:44 AM »

Sandwiches were done on May 18.  My post follows, and still stands....:

And I thought my Dear Partner John was the only one who ate peanut butter and cream cheese!  (usually on a bagel....)

My fave sandwiches:

From childhood:  American Cheese and Strawberry Preserves on white bread.

From Brooklyn:  Adelman's Deli on Kings Highway, Pastrami, Corned Beef and Tongue on REAL Jewish Rye with Cole Slaw (on the sandwich itself), and russian dressing.  With a Dr. Brown's Cream Soda.  Heaven.

Lately, Thanksigiving (or any other big Turkey-making holiday) is only half as anticipated as the club sandwiches that follow.  They must be triple deckers; they must include dressing/stuffing in the sandwich itself, as well as Hellman's mayo (Best Foods, for you west coasters); and they should also inlcude a smear of cranberry sauce on one of the mayo'd pieces of toast.  For me they also include turkey or veggie bacon, since I do not eat pork products.  Yum!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2004, 06:06:10 AM »

I know there was a dear reader who was extolling the virtues of a computer software program called CLEAN.  Can you tell me what it does, and how much to expect to pay for it.....we seem to be having some computer troubles at home, and I would rather not have to buy a new PC.......

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2004, 06:16:37 AM »

As long as the French dip doesn't get caught with the stolen francs...

I love a tuna melt with American cheese on rye bread.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2004, 07:11:50 AM »

I am sorry, but was the last post an HOUR ago????  Where in tarnation is everyone???

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2004, 07:24:27 AM »

Peanut butter and Jelly used to be my favorite sandwich, but I have now switched to Almond butter and no-sugar strawberry jam!

My doctor told me to hold off on the peanut butter and switch to almond butter as almonds help reduce cholesterol...and it tastes even more delicious!!

At a lot of stores you can even grind your own almond butter!

Also love a good egg salad sandwich or tuna salad sandwich (no onions).

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2004, 07:30:05 AM »

Almond butter is better for you than peanut butter, in terms of lowering cholesterol??  Mon dieu!  I must try this, as my cholesterol count as told to me by my doctor earlier this week is.....well, it's much higher than it should be.

Which also means that the exer-cycle that I bought at a garage sale will have to actually be put into action, rather than being the objet d'art I was hoping it would become......

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2004, 07:31:46 AM »

LOL, Stuart! Yep Almonds, walnuts, and green tea are all good for your cholesterol according to my doctor.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2004, 07:35:28 AM »

Bringing over last nights subject that JRand53 started...

EBAY score:

471 @ 100% positive

590 positive feedback left by 471 members

About 4 or 5 years ago I was selling on Ebay and did fairly well...JRand53 was one of my best customers!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2004, 07:42:10 AM »

Good morning.
Michael Shayne - I think yesterday you asked about Emmy judging. I think it's just looking at the films/shows, not the scripts. I haven't got the material yet, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works. With Humanitas, we read the scripts first - quite a few, then look at the Finalists' actual films.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2004, 07:48:45 AM »

I also like club sandwiches best of all.

A sports bar near my house which has excellent food also does a meat loaf sandwich that is to DIE for. Sad to say, the restaurant/bar is closed temporarily, and I must go elsewhere on the few occasions when I venture out at night to eat someone else's cooking.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2004, 07:50:35 AM »

I have made my DVD selection for today - TWILIGHT OF THE GOLDS. Can you believe I have never seen this all the way through.

I'll also be watching another Sherlock Holmes episode - "Wisteria Lodge."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up