Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SHERIFF JOHN  (Read 31962 times)

Kerry

Re: SHERIFF JOHN
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »

How wonderful that you have that and those memories!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 09:47:36 AM »

Page 2 Sheriff John Laugh and Be Happy Dance!
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »

I've got about half of the ROBERTA finale assembled. I'll do the rest tomorrow. I'm off to Carnegie Hall.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »

I guess DR Elmore knows how to get to Carnegie Hall.

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »

Me, I know how to properly listen to great recordings of great music.  Put them on the "good" system, sit down, shut up, and pay attention.

I'd heard DAVID AND BATHSHEBA twice in the car, and just now heard it right.

WOW.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »

Bruce I enjoyed your tribute to Sheriff John very much.

Jane

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 11:16:17 AM »

Such a special, special record & autograph to have.

Jane

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »

Jane

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »

I realize that this status changes every few hours, but my 2-person stage play, NELSON AND JEANETTE is currently the #3 ranked Kindle book on Amazon in Playwriting, and #23 in paperback books in the Playwriting category.

:)

http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Jeanette-Hollywood-Legends-ebook/dp/B0099XUEPA/ref=kinw_dp_ke

Congrats!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Tossed and turned a bit throughout the night and was up briefly at six-thirty, but I think I got my eight hours in.  I shall jog shortly.

Jane

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »

DR Chas I enjoyed your walk down memory lane.  For me Hollywood was just a place to visit occasionally or to go the Chinese Theater.

Until reading your posts I don't think I truly appreciated the large selection of theater's we enjoyed.

ChasSmith

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

Thank you, DR Jane.

Also just listened to a few tracks of THE KING AND I with Herbert Lom.  Hey, he does well!

The extra Muriel Smith tracks sound like fun, too.  Will have to try GOLDEN CITY some other time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »

congratulations DR DRUXY!

Thanks for the stories DR CHAS SMITH.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »

When DR. NO came out, the publicity set off every alarm for my parents and I wasn't allowed to go see it.  I can't remember if I went to FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE when it was new, so it's just possible that GOLDFINGER was my first Bond, and that impact was something I'll never forget.  At that point I probably saw second-runs of the first two films, but everything about GOLDFINGER rang bells.  I bought the LP, and wore it out in the first year.

According to the IMDb, GOLDFINGER was released nationally in January 1965.  I don't remember when, or which theater I first saw it in, but on one of those New Year's Eves, the Gateway Theatre in Fort Lauderdale (my avatar on HTF) ran it all night, and I sat there through three showings of it, happier than the proverbial pig in the proverbial shit.

The next one, THUNDERBALL, to me, will always mean Christmas Day 1965, and one of my favorite Christmas memories.  It had opened that week at one of the new theaters in town, and seeing it late in the afternoon on that day -- in a filled theater where I found other people I knew in attendance -- it was just as special to me as GOLDFINGER had been.  THUNDERBALL has its critics, but to me it will always be magic.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE was equally thrilling, and I know I drove myself to that one three or four times with various friends along.  Those were just thrilling movies then.  I keep saying "thrilling", but there's no other word for it.

(I most definitely wasn't allowed go see that one, which opened at my tender age of 11 just after we'd moved down there.)

I saw "From Russia With Love" at the Carolina Theater in Greenville SC.  It was a very special theater and most of my favorite movie memories were experienced there (not all, but most).

For "Goldfinger", I associate it with Christmas 1964.  It was playing at the Carolina in December that year...I saw it one Saturday and knew I wanted to see it again and again...but it was nearly Christmas and I needed to spend money on gifts rather than pleasure.   One day, however, my father got a "business" Christmas card (he was in home remodeling at that time) and enclosed in the card were two theater passes for the Carolina Theater.  He gave them to me!  I saw "Goldfinger" on two more Saturdays on those passes, sitting through it twice on each occasion!  The soundtrack was one of my favorite listens at that time, too.  I can't say I wore it out, but it got played and played and played.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »

I think I've let the IMDb confuse me on this.  December 1964 makes total sense for me having seen GOLDFINGER in first run, too, even though the IMDb states that only NYC and LA had it prior to January 1965.  That can't be right.  I had to have seen it a short time prior to the New Year's Eve that my local theater ran it all night -- which had to be Dec. 31, 1964.

(Just thinking out loud here, actually.  Sorry!  Carry on.)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »

Thank you, BK, for the Sheriff John memories.  It sounds like he was a wonderful man.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »

As I mentioned last night, the Northwest lost one of my childhood legends in July when J. P. Patches (Chris Wedes) passed away from cancer.  His show ran on KIRO-TV in Seattle from 1958 thru 1981, making it one of the longest running kid's programs in the nation.  I watched him as a kid, I watched him as a teenager, and when I went away to college I found that there was a whole group in my dorm who still watched his show faithfully every day.  He was as kind and as gentle in "real" life as he was on the show, and he never seemed to understand what a huge impact he made on so many children.  Birthdays?  Oh yes, he looked into his ICU2 TV and told us who was having a birthday, and where the extra present was hidden.  I truly loved J. P.  Rest in Peace.

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

Good morning, all! I slept later than I meant to, and I really want to burrow into a sheltered area and sleep for several months. Instead, I will shortly head down to Toyland. I will work there until nearly 1pm and then head to Carnegie Hall for this Miami University concert.

That's all I have planned today, and that's enough.

I hope you plan on coming back home after the concert!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »

When DR. NO came out, the publicity set off every alarm for my parents and I wasn't allowed to go see it.  I can't remember if I went to FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE when it was new, so it's just possible that GOLDFINGER was my first Bond, and that impact was something I'll never forget.  At that point I probably saw second-runs of the first two films, but everything about GOLDFINGER rang bells.  I bought the LP, and wore it out in the first year.

According to the IMDb, GOLDFINGER was released nationally in January 1965.  I don't remember when, or which theater I first saw it in, but on one of those New Year's Eves, the Gateway Theatre in Fort Lauderdale (my avatar on HTF) ran it all night, and I sat there through three showings of it, happier than the proverbial pig in the proverbial shit.

The next one, THUNDERBALL, to me, will always mean Christmas Day 1965, and one of my favorite Christmas memories.  It had opened that week at one of the new theaters in town, and seeing it late in the afternoon on that day -- in a filled theater where I found other people I knew in attendance -- it was just as special to me as GOLDFINGER had been.  THUNDERBALL has its critics, but to me it will always be magic.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE was equally thrilling, and I know I drove myself to that one three or four times with various friends along.  Those were just thrilling movies then.  I keep saying "thrilling", but there's no other word for it.

(I most definitely wasn't allowed go see that one, which opened at my tender age of 11 just after we'd moved down there.)

I loved WHERE THE BOYS ARE.  I loved Dolores Hart, Paula Prentiss, Connie Francis. George Hamilton, and Jim Hutton.  Great movie, then.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »

I realize that this status changes every few hours, but my 2-person stage play, NELSON AND JEANETTE is currently the #3 ranked Kindle book on Amazon in Playwriting, and #23 in paperback books in the Playwriting category.

http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Jeanette-Hollywood-Legends-ebook/dp/B0099XUEPA/ref=kinw_dp_ke

Druxy, is there an audiobook verson of LOBARD?
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2012, 01:18:42 PM »

Page two?  Two pages?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

Speaking of two, back from the two-mile jog and a walk to the bank to get some cash.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »

Page two?  Two pages?

Hey!  I'm working on it!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2012, 01:53:03 PM »

I'll admit, it is a slow afternoon. 
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »

But I blame Jose.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »

I'm sure that most everybody is off watching pro football.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »

Start of the second quarter:  The Seahawks 6, The Cardinals 0
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »

For "Goldfinger", I associate it with Christmas 1964.  It was playing at the Carolina in December that year...I saw it one Saturday and knew I wanted to see it again and again...but it was nearly Christmas and I needed to spend money on gifts rather than pleasure.   One day, however, my father got a "business" Christmas card (he was in home remodeling at that time) and enclosed in the card were two theater passes for the Carolina Theater.  He gave them to me!  I saw "Goldfinger" on two more Saturdays on those passes, sitting through it twice on each occasion!  The soundtrack was one of my favorite listens at that time, too.  I can't say I wore it out, but it got played and played and played.

Great story Ron!

Jane

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »

As I mentioned last night, the Northwest lost one of my childhood legends in July when J. P. Patches (Chris Wedes) passed away from cancer.  His show ran on KIRO-TV in Seattle from 1958 thru 1981, making it one of the longest running kid's programs in the nation.  I watched him as a kid, I watched him as a teenager, and when I went away to college I found that there was a whole group in my dorm who still watched his show faithfully every day.  He was as kind and as gentle in "real" life as he was on the show, and he never seemed to understand what a huge impact he made on so many children.  Birthdays?  Oh yes, he looked into his ICU2 TV and told us who was having a birthday, and where the extra present was hidden.  I truly loved J. P.  Rest in Peace.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »

One more post.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up