Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SHERIFF JOHN  (Read 32043 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SHERIFF JOHN
« on: October 06, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes laughed and were happy, and now it is time for you to post until the laugh and be happy cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SHERIFF JOHN
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:01:10 AM »

And the word of the day is: HIRTELLOUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:02:12 AM »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 12:11:29 AM »

BK, that was a lovely tribute to Sheriff John.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:21:44 AM »

From yesterday...

~~~Continued Vibes of All Kinds for Cillaliz's Friend Sharon!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 12:23:32 AM »

Yesterday, I ushered for a local Sweet Adelines women's barbershop chorus and their show was pretty cute with a lot of good singing.  I was actually in the Puget Sounders Barbershop Chorus, the local counterpart to the local Sweet Adelines, when I going to a local two-year college, but when I transferred up to Western Washington University, I had to drop out.  I never rejoined when I graduated and came back home.  I discovered performing in theater and never looked back.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 04:24:44 AM »

Good morning, all.

Nice memorial for Sheriff Joe, bk.

Off to a long day. Bells this morning at church, followed by a book signing at an outdoor food event, which should be fun given the temperatures are likely to be only in the 60s or 70s today. 

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 05:05:37 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept later than I meant to, and I really want to burrow into a sheltered area and sleep for several months. Instead, I will shortly head down to Toyland. I will work there until nearly 1pm and then head to Carnegie Hall for this Miami University concert.

That's all I have planned today, and that's enough.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 05:06:40 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Successful Vibes for tonight's show, BK! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 05:17:42 AM »

Good morning!

Ginny

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 05:44:47 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  Soon I must get myself ready for the final day of Middfest 2012.  I'll be in the Language & Literature Center until about 2:30 and then sit in on "conversations" about fashion, Monet's garden, and the French dictionary.  When the exhibits close at 6pm, I need to retrieve my baskets and tablecloth from the lit center.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 05:46:34 AM »

DR Elmore, I'm looking forward to a full report on the Miami concert.  Richard received info about it from the Glee Club and we'd love to be there.  If they invite Glee Club alums up to sing with them at the end, try to visualize Richard on the end trying not to be seen during "Johnny Schmoker."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »

Show vibes to BK!!!

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 05:48:42 AM »

Michael

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 05:55:33 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 05:55:55 AM »

break a leg for tonight's show
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 05:59:25 AM »

Everybody is BUSY today....that's nice!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 05:59:51 AM »

Very good notes today MR BK - I enjoyed reading about Sheriff John and your KABC special!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 06:01:03 AM »

Good morning, all.

Had a very full, active day yesterday during which I didn't get everything I was involved in done to my satisfaction.  But today is ketchup.

I got a pretty solid night's sleep but don't feel as rested as I could have due to getting to bed so late.  Still need to normalize my hours a little.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 06:19:56 AM »

I wish I could remember who in Columbus, Ohio might have been a local equivalent of Sheriff John.  I know that a couple of the shows we watched were local, and I'll bet every town of any decent size with a TV station had its own local shows of this ilk back then.  That would be a rich bit of local cultural history to tap into.

My earliest memory of a kid's show is Ding Dong School, watched on our first television in 1952, along with Howdy Doody which I see started way back in 1947.  Then Romper Room, and Captain Kangaroo who I think was our main man for quite a while.  A couple of these, I think, started local in Chicago or wherever, and eventually got picked up in other parts of the region or went national.

I salute Sheriff John who was a wonderful presence in Benjamin Kritzer. 

That 45 is great, and I hope the KABC show was duly recorded...?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 06:37:00 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 06:21:26 AM »

VIBES for a great show tonight!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!

All is quiet here. Except for the barking dog in the office across the hall.

ChasSmith

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 07:11:11 AM »

This afternoon I'll take a little trip back in time, to my favorite (for better or for worse) Hollywood eating jernts.  If anyone doesn't know the geography, everything in these postings existed within a ten or twelve block stretch, the exceptions being only a couple of things on Sunset two blocks away.  The same type of boundary was applied to Beverly Hills.  Amazing places, both, but Hollywood took the cake.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 07:21:26 AM »

Sorry to hear the sad news about Sheriff John.  Growing up, my wife was a big fan.

In Seattle, we had "Sheriff Tex".
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 07:22:57 AM »

I haven't seen DR. NO in several years.

The thing I really liked about it was the music.  In fact, when it first came out, I immediately bought the LP.

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 07:49:47 AM »

When DR. NO came out, the publicity set off every alarm for my parents and I wasn't allowed to go see it.  I can't remember if I went to FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE when it was new, so it's just possible that GOLDFINGER was my first Bond, and that impact was something I'll never forget.  At that point I probably saw second-runs of the first two films, but everything about GOLDFINGER rang bells.  I bought the LP, and wore it out in the first year.

According to the IMDb, GOLDFINGER was released nationally in January 1965.  I don't remember when, or which theater I first saw it in, but on one of those New Year's Eves, the Gateway Theatre in Fort Lauderdale (my avatar on HTF) ran it all night, and I sat there through three showings of it, happier than the proverbial pig in the proverbial shit.

The next one, THUNDERBALL, to me, will always mean Christmas Day 1965, and one of my favorite Christmas memories.  It had opened that week at one of the new theaters in town, and seeing it late in the afternoon on that day -- in a filled theater where I found other people I knew in attendance -- it was just as special to me as GOLDFINGER had been.  THUNDERBALL has its critics, but to me it will always be magic.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE was equally thrilling, and I know I drove myself to that one three or four times with various friends along.  Those were just thrilling movies then.  I keep saying "thrilling", but there's no other word for it.

(I most definitely wasn't allowed go see that one, which opened at my tender age of 11 just after we'd moved down there.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:00:13 AM by ChasSmith »

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 08:25:39 AM »

In Detroit, our "Sheriff John" was "Sagebrush Shorty."

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »

I'm off to Middfest for the afternoon - bye for now!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: HIRTELLOUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:   HAIR

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »

I realize that this status changes every few hours, but my 2-person stage play, NELSON AND JEANETTE is currently the #3 ranked Kindle book on Amazon in Playwriting, and #23 in paperback books in the Playwriting category.

:)

http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Jeanette-Hollywood-Legends-ebook/dp/B0099XUEPA/ref=kinw_dp_ke
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up