Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DO  (Read 11454 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DO
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2011, 06:56:38 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 06:56:46 AM »

Page two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2011, 06:57:30 AM »

TOD:

The Ref
The Bishop's Wife
A Christmas Story
The Thin Man
Holiday Inn
― Voltaire

Kerry

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2011, 07:36:53 AM »

Miracle on 34th Street
Pocketful of Miracles
Christmas Story
Holiday Inn
Meet Me In St. Louis
Christmas in Connecticut
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2011, 07:37:15 AM »

Merry Christmas Eve to All!
I like boat races.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2011, 07:46:21 AM »

Per DR TCB's request, here is the Christmas table runner that I bought in Miltenberg, Germany:
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2011, 07:47:48 AM »

And here is the runner adorned with our traditional centerpiece.  The crystal candle holders on each end were Richard's gift to his mother from his stay in Germany 40 years ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2011, 07:52:36 AM »

Beautiful, Ginny.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2011, 07:53:31 AM »

DR Kerry could tell you that I am just lucky to get any food onto the table. And at the same time would be a really good year.

Laura

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 07:54:13 AM »

I am making spaghetti sauce in the crockpot, and I just boiled the pasta for the tuna noodle pasta.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »

TOD:

Scrooge with Mr Albert Finney.....I like everybody except the Ghost of Christmas Present.....that guy is terrible....and his song isn't so great either.
AND I miss the people standing around talking about Scrooge in the FUTURE segment.....and one of my favorite lines...."Oh, I don't mind going to the funeral....if lunch is provided."

My favorite, too.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »

And the table is set for Christmas dinner:

Ben

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2011, 08:22:11 AM »

I just (about a half hour ago) walked 3 miles on the treadmill in anticipation of the food we will eat for dinner.

I will do the same tomorrow morning in anticipation of the all day food feast.

And on Boxing Day we will see The Artist ($9 before 3pm and a Senior Discount for our 81 year old friend) and then engage in more eating.

I must walk. I must walk. I must walk.

John G.

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »

Beautiful, Ginny.
Yes. Thanks for sharing.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2011, 08:49:15 AM »

Beautiful, Ginny.
Yes. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, DRs Laura and John G!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »

Laura

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2011, 10:19:30 AM »

Wow. That was neat. I just saw a fox trotting down the street. Then it jumped onto the neighbor's block fence like a cat, and went into their backyard. Never saw that before.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2011, 10:22:43 AM »

Beautiful. What Time Is Dinner?

Thank you, DR ArnoldMBrockman!  As for dinnertime, it's hard to tell.  Richard and I are to call Rob and Mary Linda when we're leaving Lima after church.  The four of us will synchronize our watches and then someone will notify my Mother as to who will pick her up and when.  I suspect we'll gather around 4, open presents, and eat around 5:30 or 6.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2011, 10:25:43 AM »

I'm up and have finally got out of Ye Olde Bed.  I got up just before nine but just stayed in bed being lazy.  I'll jog in about ten minutes.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »

Day 10:  It's Christmas Eve!   Lots of pots and pans clanging and banging in the kitchen as my mom prepares stuff to take tonight to my Cousin Debra's and stuff to serve for Christmas Luncheon tomorrow.

I'm taking a fruit bowl to my Aunt Doris' tomorrow e'en...plus a plate of grilled asparagus.  They won't know what to make of grilled asparagus.  There may be some noses upturned or out of joint at the mere sight of grilled asparagus, I expect.  I hope they'll tolerate my grilled asparagus.

;D

Day 9 saw me reneging on my Day 7 vow to not drive more than 10 miles in any direction for the remainder of my visit.  I drove my mom (and myself) to Batesburg yesterday for a Walmart visit.  It's a huge Walmart, for a podunk town the size of Batesburg, but it serves quite a few surrounding communities.  The trip was about 40 miles, roundtrip.  It went without a hitch...my braking (power brakes) was complimented at one point.

My Aunt Doris came over in the afternoon and we played a few rounds of SkiBo.

I have to tell you...it's "hot" for Christmas.  The house is at a consistent 70 degrees even though the thermostat is on 60 degrees.  Weather outside is very pleasant...coolish, but still in the 60s during the day.   The house is brick and well-insulated, so heat doesn't escape. 

I'm so tired of eating stuff.  Can you imagine it?  So much stuff.   Of course, some of it has been my mother's fried chicken....and my mother can "fry" some chicken!!!

The day has gotten away from her for some reason...she's way behind the power curve in getting things done.   She's usually up and at 'em at 7 a.m., but she didn't get up and get ready to make her appearance (this being her hair-washing day) until 9-ish.  She went to bed late for her...10 p.m. is normally her bedtime, but she was wide awake and doing stuff on her computer when I went to bed at 10:30 p.m.  I suspect she wrapped presents for a bit after that, too. At any rate, I believe she keeps thinking it's two hours earlier, and she's not used to having so much to do on a Saturday.

Lest you think I'm not lifting a finger, I have asked...and asked... and asked...if there is something I could do to help.  "Stay out of my way" is her response.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:43:26 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »

A very merry and festive Christmas Eve to all and one of you and yours.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2011, 10:57:59 AM »

A very Merry Christmas (Eve) to one and all!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »

Watched SCROOGE starring TCB as Scrooge last night - what a wonderful way to get rid of some of the foul mood I've been in much of this holiday week.  Toby saw me crying uncontrollably and tried to (he thought) comfort me,*  but I explained that these were good tears, tears to remove bad things from the system.  And so I'll try to remain through Christmas Day.   Thank you, dear TCB, for your wonderful talent and for sharing your great gifts as an entertainer with audiences.

* Dylan, on the other hand, smiled as if to say to Toby, "See if you can get a treat or two out of this. Giving treats always makes him feel better"

Thank you for the kind words, FJL!

Happy, Merry, Joyful Christmas vibes to you and Skip.
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »

Topic of the Day (in alphabetical order):

A Christmas Story
Holiday Inn
It's a Wonderful Life
Meet Me In St. Louis
Miracle on 34th Street
Scrooge
White Christmas
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »

Per DR TCB's request, here is the Christmas table runner that I bought in Miltenberg, Germany:

Lovely.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2011, 11:26:07 AM »

Lovely.

I agree. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »

Well, I'm off to the store to get some sodas for tonight's dinner at my parents' house, then to my sister's house to finish some gift wrapping, then to my parents' house.  Have a great day, everyone!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »

BK, I'm sure the do will be dazzling as it always has in past years.  Julieanne and I certainly miss them and you and are wishing you a magnificent Christmas and a magnificent year!

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »

Lovely.

I agree. :)

Thank you, DRs TCB and George!

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »

...Lest you think I'm not lifting a finger, I have asked...and asked... and asked...if there is something I could do to help.  "Stay out of my way" is her response.

DR Ron Pulliam - sounds like your Mom has what my guys call "holiday head."  I've been known to have severe cases, but this year isn't too bad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up