Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: UP TO PAR  (Read 22852 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
UP TO PAR
« on: April 23, 2006, 12:35:57 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were up to par, as am I, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're really starting to get a bad rap, which is, of course, par spelled backwards.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 12:19:16 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:UP TO PAR
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 12:37:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: CLAPTRAP!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 12:52:48 AM »

Great news about the books, BK.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 04:50:57 AM »

Good morning,all!  It's early Sunday morning, I'm listening to Haydn's "Theresienmesse" and sipping coffee.  I do feel better than yesterday, although  my allergies are still in high aggravation mode and the day looks as black, rainy  and miserable as yesterday.  I do have to make the trek to Toyland, and I hope to be out of the house in the next hour.

I'm still pondering the ELIZABETH I on HBO last evening.  Did any West Coasters catch it?  DR Matt H's comments were interesting, because I usually form an opinion of a famous person from what biograhical matter I read and not from the numerous film appearances.  For example, if I hadn't read several books, including James Kirkwood's AMERICAN GROTESQUE and a book about Clay Shaw, I wouldn't know that Kevin Costner's heroic character in Oliver Stone's lies-filled JFK was a homophobic, corrupt, pedophile in real life.  All this is leading to a question:  how many films/plays can you think of where a well-known figure is distorted from the facts?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 04:51:40 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 05:29:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: CLAPTRAP!
Ah, yes, CLAPTRAP!  An intriguing backstager from 1993, about a libidinous Broadway wannabe who dreams of becoming a star but is brought down by her lack of proper hygene.

Word is that the same writer/director who brought us Claptrap, Nicholas Concupis, is now trying to get another show on the boards, titled The Prurient Chaparone.  Odds are he'll have to re-think the title.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 05:56:10 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 06:10:51 AM »

Good vibes to DR Elmore's father. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 06:13:07 AM »

Re: tonight's episode of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. I was not planning to watch, since it is not listed as new in my tv guide.  However in my tv it says it is a recap episode. I think I enjoyed last year's recap show (although granted season was much more confusing).  But I think I shall watch it.

Oh and btw, I did watch the last 2 hours last night of CELEBRITY COOKING. Thanks NBC I guess, although i'm sure most viewers did not even know it would be on last night.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 06:18:43 AM »

BK I happened to see Tonya Harding on one of the entertainment shows a few months ago. Yes she definitely looks completely different!

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 06:20:47 AM »

Btw, I just realized that I am starving. Is it too early to eat leftover pizza?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 06:31:08 AM »

Good morning!

Earlier forecasts were for rain today, but it gives no sign of it this morning. Bright blue skies and going to be warmer than the previous few days.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 06:32:28 AM »

Well it sounds like a wonderful day for BK yesterday.  Why - WHY would people who aspire to be professionals make an appointment with the premiere organization of said profession and NOT SHOW UP???
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 06:33:19 AM »

Perhaps if you drop back by the COURTS show, a camera will be in your hands this time, MR BK.  And after all, Miss Cindy did ASK!  I bet you meet someone else who visits this here site, the most popular site on ALL of the world wide web.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 06:34:54 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ, I am just so excited about the book and the Mary Badham information (that she offered!) - we probably can't afford her, but it is very exciting just to THINK about.

Please email me by clicking below and we can arrange payment and shipping details!  AND THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 06:35:38 AM »

No, I won't be watching that recap episode on DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (GREY'S ANATOMY is doing one tonight as well, and LOST has one on Wednesday night).

I've seen every episode and have had no trouble discerning what was happening already. There are new shows on at 9 (THE SOPRANOS, LAW & ORDER:CI) that I will spend my time with.

If a show is very dense with plot or if a person has not been able to watch every episode, those recaps can be helpful. (A VERONICA MARS recap show would be invaluable.) But I don't think DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES has been perplexing enough this year (unlike last season's mystery) to warrant a recap show for faithful viewers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 06:36:54 AM »

Today is WS's birthday?  Well well well.  Congratulations to MR BK on getting a collection of his works.

I keep hearing about this boy, Willum Shakespurr - and I think from the way people are talking, if he keeps trying, he just might make it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 06:38:32 AM »

Books....well GIANT is a good book made into a BIG movie....and Carroll Baker is always around to talk her movies up....

Of course I probably just made that suggestion because I would like to meet her and talk to her....not just for lunch, though.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 06:38:42 AM »

DR MBARNUM how is that new doggie doing?

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 06:40:05 AM »

I have been debating with myself all morning about what lengthy miniseries I want to watch this afternoon. I've narrowed it down to three: PRIDE & PREJUDICE (the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version), ANGELS IN AMERICA, and the original TALES IN THE CITY.

I've seen them all already, of course, but I haven't watched any of them on DVD

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 07:22:08 AM »

I vote for P/P DR MATTH!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 07:22:21 AM »

Running a virus scan.  back in a bit.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2006, 07:24:51 AM »

I vote for P/P DR MATTH!

Yes, I'm leaning that way, too. I've seen ANGELS the most recently when HBO first broadcast it. The others are older and I haven't seen them as recently.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2006, 08:09:12 AM »

Up to Paar....I kid you not!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2006, 08:09:37 AM »

To answer elmore's question:  The historical Richard III bears nothing to Birthday Boy Billy Shakespeare's Richard III...even to the real possibility that he did not kill the Princes in the Tower (I think it was Buckingham), but that does discount the fact, that inaccurate an historical portrayal that it is, Bill's RICHARD III, is one of the greatest and most compelling dramas ever written and one of the great, great roles for an actor to play.  In fact, it was the play that led me to become a Richard III fanatic.  I have about two shelves on Dickie III and the War of the Roses.  There is also some evidence that MacBeth may not have been the bastard he is portrayed as in Shakes' play.

And, of course, we all know what an utter fantasy Warners' Cole Porter movie was...as well as most of those film bios of by Warners, M-G-M and others were of various composers and song writers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2006, 08:09:40 AM »

Yes, I'm leaning that way, too. I've seen ANGELS the most recently when HBO first broadcast it. The others are older and I haven't seen them as recently.

And after all this IS a democracy.  8)

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2006, 08:10:24 AM »

DR MBARNUM how is that new doggie doing?

I am having sooooo much fun with Bosco! He is a delight to have around and is so easy to care for! What a polite, sweet natured animal he is!

Freddy likes him too, and sort of follows him around.

And how is that beautiful canine known as Blue Moon?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 08:11:52 AM by MBarnum »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2006, 08:10:42 AM »

BK, did you see Mr. Sorbo? Did you talk to Denny? If you go back today takes some pictures.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2006, 08:10:47 AM »

To answer elmore's question:  The historical Richard III bears nothing to Birthday Boy Billy Shakespeare's Richard III...even to the real possibility that he did not kill the Princes in the Tower (I think it was Buckingham), but that does discount the fact, that inaccurate an historical portrayal that it is, Bill's RICHARD III, is one of the greatest and most compelling dramas ever written and one of the great, great roles for an actor to play.  In fact, it was the play that led me to become a Richard III fanatic.  I have about two shelves on Dickie III and the War of the Roses.  There is also some evidence that MacBeth may not have been the bastard he is portrayed as in Shakes' play.

And, of course, we all know what an utter fantasy Warners' Cole Porter movie was...as well as most of those film bios of by Warners, M-G-M and others were of various composers and song writers.

And of course we have Richard Dreyfuss' turn as Dick in THE GOODBYE GIRL.  :o

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2006, 08:17:29 AM »

Heading down now to get the laundry started.

WBBL.

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2006, 08:18:41 AM »

This weekend Salem is having it's first ever Independent Film Festival...quite a big to do for our state capital...things like this usually only take place in Portland...but there has been much publicity and even a few celebs and I think it has really taken off. The films are being shown at 3 different downtown theaters...The Elsinore, The Salem Cinema, and The Grand Theater..all within walking distance of each other.

Last night I saw NINE GOOD TEETH which was a wonderful documentary about the film makers 104 year old grandmother who lives in New York City (she is now 107). It was funny and sad and it showed the good, bad, and ugly of her life and her family.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up