Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: UP TO PAR  (Read 23103 times)

Ginny

Re:UP TO PAR
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2006, 10:11:45 AM »

DR Cillaliz - Thanks for the photo and the report on your To Kill a Mockingbird gala.  Having just been through a community reading program using the same book, it's been interesting to compare events.

My ladies book group, every August, reads a book that has been made into a movie.  We then have a covered dish dinner and watch the movie together.  Here are the titles we've used (not all suitable for a community read, though):

The House of the Spirits
Possession
Like Water for Chocolate
Cold Mountain
Snow Falling on Cedars
A River Runs Through It
The Shipping News
Pay It Forward
Vanity Fair

This summer's selection is Bee Season.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2006, 10:12:57 AM »

Maybe I'll mosey over to the Court's show after the partay...
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2006, 10:14:39 AM »

DR DAKOTACELT - I loved the dancing photos!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2006, 10:15:11 AM »

Maybe I'll mosey over to the Court's show after the partay...

Mosey Over to the Court's Show....that's the name of my new song...  :D

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2006, 10:20:24 AM »

Good morning/afternoon. Happy Birthday, DR William Shakespeare (you never know!).

Had a rather dificult evening last night, so I decided to escape it all by settling in to the entire HBO Elizabeth I. (Received DVDs of Parts 1 and 2 for Emmy consideration). Four hours well spent. For those who saw Part 1 last night, Part 2 is even better. Hugh Dancy is not only beautiful to look at (as ER said) but also holds his own with Ms. Mirren. Terrific script by Nigel Williams (using some of ER's actual speeches - she was, after all, a great orator), stylish production, and incredible acting. Helen Mirren will walk away with every award given this season. And she deserves to. Jeremy Irons was no slouch, either. The entire cast was flawless. Toby Jones as Robert Cecil probably won't get singled out, but deserves to be.

Still remember seeing Helen Mirren and Paxton Whitehead years ago in a little 99-seat theatre in LA in a production of Alan Ayckbourn's WOMAN IN MIND. Why they were doing it in this humble setting, i don't know. But what a treat!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 10:22:36 AM by Maria »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2006, 10:26:34 AM »

I think enough time has passed....what was the "secret" or the "reason" why Jodie Foster's daughter disappeared on that plane in that dumb movie?

Post with a SPOILER warning if you want to....I don't want to see the movie, but I want to know what hoary old plot device they tried to dress up as a silk purse.....(again).  I noticed the THE LADY VANISHES ripoff in the promos....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2006, 10:27:38 AM »

Well - two raves.....like DRJANE - it will be the ELIZABETH dvd for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2006, 10:29:24 AM »

And now we begin the countdown to our new plateau, and it's a corker let me tell you.  We will have a partay to end all partays, that's all I can say.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2006, 10:29:45 AM »

Oh - and re JR's interesting question.... For something quite recent, how about CAPOTE? Harper Lee, herself, has written a few letters about the inaccuracies of the film. And William Shawn's colleagues and family say that his involvement with Capote and the writing of the book is totally incorrect. Apparently, on the DVD, the writers and producers address this.
Having written a number of scripts dealing with real people and true events, I'm usually on the side of the film-makers (unless a person is accused of doing something horrific he or she did not do). These are, after all, not documentaries. And, let's face it, even documentaries aren't 100% representations of what really happened.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 10:31:14 AM by Maria »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2006, 10:32:13 AM »

..The theatre did provide a good place to get in out of the rain...

Ah, the consummate critic's utimate praise!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2006, 10:45:43 AM »

I think enough time has passed....what was the "secret" or the "reason" why Jodie Foster's daughter disappeared on that plane in that dumb movie?

Briefly - the Baddie wanted to smuggle a bomb onto the plane. He put the bomb into Jodi's husband's sturdy metal, combination lock protested coffin. He then snatched the girl in the (correct) expectation that ultimately Jodi would open the coffin in her search - or so I recall.

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2006, 10:52:28 AM »

Oh - and re JR's interesting question.... For something quite recent, how about CAPOTE? Harper Lee, herself, has written a few letters about the inaccuracies of the film. And William Shawn's colleagues and family say that his involvement with Capote and the writing of the book is totally incorrect. Apparently, on the DVD, the writers and producers address this.
Having written a number of scripts dealing with real people and true events, I'm usually on the side of the film-makers (unless a person is accused of doing something horrific he or she did not do). These are, after all, not documentaries. And, let's face it, even documentaries aren't 100% representations of what really happened.

Haven't listened to the CAPOTE commentary yet....

DRMARIA....that is so true.  I think what bothers ME most is the attitude expressed on the FRANCES dvd commentary by director Grame Clifford..."well we didn't want to nickel and dime the audience to death with facts...." :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2006, 10:53:09 AM »

Briefly - the Baddie wanted to smuggle a bomb onto the plane. He put the bomb into Jodi's husband's sturdy metal, combination lock protested coffin. He then snatched the girl in the (correct) expectation that ultimately Jodi would open the coffin in her search - or so I recall.

der Brucer

but how did they get EVERYONE on the plane to deny that the little girl existed?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2006, 11:06:03 AM »

This seems to be Disney's latest response to a Song of The South DVD

March 11, 2006

Disney CEO Robert Iger: No Song of the South Yet

During the question and answer session at Disney's 2006 Annual Meeting of Shareholders in Anaheim, CA, the question was raised by a Disney shareholder why Song of the South has not been released. Here is a transcript:

"My name is Howard Cromer. I live in Cypress, I'm a Disney shareholder. I'm actually delivering a message from my son, 10. He wants to know in recent years, in the midst of all your re-releases of your videos, why you haven't released Song of the South on your Disney Classics?" [Applause] "And, he wonders why. Frank Wells told me many years ago that it would be coming out. Well obviously Frank Wells isn't around anymore, so we still wonder why. And by the way, Mr. Iger, he thinks it was a very good choice when they made you CEO of Disney." [Applause]

Iger: "Thank you very much. You may change your mind when I answer your question, though. Um... we've discussed this a lot. We believe it's actually an opportunity from a financial perspective to put Song of the South out. I screened it fairly recently because I hadn't seen it since I was a child, and I have to tell you after I watched it, even considering the context that it was made, I had some concerns about it because of what it depicted. And thought it's quite possible that people wouldn't consider it in the context that it was made, and there were some... [long pause] depictions that I mentioned earlier in the film that I think would be bothersome to a lot of people. And so, owing to the sensitivity that exists in our culture, balancing it with the desire to, uh, maybe increase our earnings a bit, but never putting that in front of what we thought were our ethics and our integrity, we made the decision not to re-release it. Not a decision that is made forever, I imagine this is gonna continue to come up, but for now we simply don't have plans to bring it back because of the sensitivities that I mentioned. Sorry."

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2006, 11:08:42 AM »

but how did they get EVERYONE on the plane to deny that the little girl existed?

Good luck, clever scripting, and the fact that one of the lead Flight Attendants was in cahoots.

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2006, 11:18:01 AM »

Good luck, clever scripting, and the fact that one of the lead Flight Attendants was in cahoots.

der Brucer

Thanks.  Isn't that ALWAYS the way?  8)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2006, 11:18:32 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Day!....

...And so on and so forth...

DRs TPunk and Rodzinski came to see Lestat last night... Then we went and enjoyed some appetizers and a few libations together at some Irish pub around the corner...  Fun, fun, fun!

OH! And the BIG news of the weekend....

I am an Uncle - again!  My brother, Michael, and his wife, Veronica, welcomed Emily into the world early Saturday morning.  -And John Michael and Alyssa are already "fighting" over who gets to hold their new baby sister.

:)

-Nothing like a new life to put everything into perspective.

And that's all for now.  I'm about to head out and get a ton of errands done in the drizzle and rain - and forecasted thunderstorms (I hope not)...  I shall check in tonight.  I promise.

Laters...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 11:19:44 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2006, 11:31:13 AM »

congrats to Jose on so many wonderful moments this week!!
PennyO

DERBRUCER

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2006, 11:48:55 AM »

The Blonds are upset that Angie has been getting all the good press, so:

Bonnie:

Buster:

Here's the pair: (When they were still Bonnie & Clyde)

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2006, 11:54:48 AM »

They are so cute!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2006, 11:55:15 AM »

Btw, I just realized that I am starving. Is it too early to eat leftover pizza?

It is NEVER too early, nor too late, to eat leftover pizza! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2006, 11:55:41 AM »

Oh and btw, I did watch the last 2 hours last night of CELEBRITY COOKING. Thanks NBC I guess, although i'm sure most viewers did not even know it would be on last night.

I was channel surfing last night and came upon the Celebrity Cooking Showdown.  Since my knowledge of food is basically limited to eating it, rather than cooking it or learning how to prepare it; I was wondering who the Asian man was that was hosting the show.  When he fianlly spoke, I realized it was Alan Thicke.  Good Lord!  Do these Hollywood types (especially the men) think that the plastic surgery they have done looks good?  I pick on the men, because, at least, the women can use makeup to cover the worst of the mistakes.  

Alan Thicke used to be a fairly nice looking man, during his GROWING PAINS days and when he was THICKE IN THE NIGHT; but he now looks like he escaped from Madame Tussaud's.  Come to think of it, the wax figures probably look better.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2006, 11:58:25 AM »

I must now go to my sister's to help her move the furniture back to the way it was.  The party for my niece yesterday was just family members sitting around and eating and chatting.  A fun time was had by all. :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2006, 12:05:14 PM »

Rodzinski, I'm fond of MEASURE FOR MEASURE too.  I once played Claudio in a production.

Re: the bio inaccuracies of film's about real people.  One must remember: Drama is not history.  Often the facts must give way to what will actually work in a dramatic context.  

I often wondered why some complain about the historical inaccuracy of movies.  While I often expect a drama to serve the essence of some figure or historical event, I do not expect exacting accuracy and sometimes realize that the dramatist is using history as merely a leaping off place to serve a dramatic point-of-view...which is okay by me.  Again, RICHARD III lousy history; great drama.  Who cares?  The great drama is what led me to the actual history.  And if I want history, I'll read history; I won't go to a movie or a play seeking it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2006, 12:05:58 PM »

Great good fortune about the Shakespeare set, Bruce! For my sweet sixteen, my dad bought me a 12-volume set printed some time in the late 1800's - which I still have. It was missing one volume - we got 11 - so the price for the WHOLE SET was $20. The leather bindings are cracked and broken now, for the most part. But there are the lovliest litho-type illustrations. And of course, the sentimental value of the gift... I was a young actor who loved the classics, and instead of a pearl necklace or a watch, my dad - who loved the English language in an uncommon way - gave me something far more valuable.

Happy Birthday to all of us, for the immortal Will.

Oh, please!  I went to summer camp with Billy Shakespeare; and, believe me, all tha boy could ever talk about was the size of his Globe.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2006, 12:07:23 PM »

Pogue as Claudio in MEASURE FOR MEASURE.  The lovely wife is kneeling behind me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2006, 12:07:46 PM »

Wrote a page and a half, and am now thinking about going over to the Courts show, although I don't really have a need to do so.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2006, 12:16:06 PM »

Wouldn't this go just right with Jewish Thighs?

der Brucer (and it's only $528!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2006, 12:17:49 PM »

Pogue as Claudio in MEASURE FOR MEASURE.  

Oh Dear, more Beefcake! 8)

der Brucer

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2006, 12:24:53 PM »

DB - I'll respectfully disagree on the "clever scripting" verdict. Aside from the fact that the FLIGHTPLAN script was pretty bad, the most unforgivable aspect for something of this sort is that they CHEATED. In other words, there was no logic to it. No way, I repeat, no way would everyone have denied the existence of the child. Passengers saw her come onboard. The children sitting near her were staring at her.
So - two bits of HUGE illogic. 1. That they would deny seeing her when the did see her. And 2. That the villains would assume that nobody would see her. Quite the assumption! I get really angry at that kind of sloppy plotting. In the days when I used to write mysteries, we'd spend hours, days, making sure that it all added up when you looked back after the solution. I once did two backdoor mystery pilots (each a TV-movie) with the legendary Fred Silverman. It was a difficult but rewarding process. "And why would she do this when she could do that? But why would he take that car when this one was nearer? How would he figure this out when obviously"....etc. It wasn't enough to answer that the plot needed it! And trust me, by the time we were done there was  not a hole in the plot. It all made perfect sense. Actually, the same thing with Aaron Spelling and his longtime associate, Duke Vincent. In that outing, we plotted about ten episodes of a mystery series we were pitching. Like putting together a puzzle. Hard work, but enormous fun. And what a learning experience!
Anyway, back to FLIGHTPLAN - who knows what happened to the script. Maybe what was originally there made perfect sense. So I won't condemn the writer.
End of rant. And speaking of writing - I must do some. Laters!

Speaking of "Laters!" - DR Uncle Jose - CONGRATULATIONS!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 12:30:27 PM by Maria »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up