Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RECONSIDERING MY DICTUM  (Read 16670 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RECONSIDERING MY DICTUM
« on: October 13, 2004, 12:05:02 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you now know all you ever need to know about my dictum and now it is time to post until the cows come home or, at the very least, until the cows have reconsidered their various and sundried dictums.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 12:05:03 AM by bk »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:RECONSIDERING MY DICTUM
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 12:08:08 AM »

Friends calling late on the night of our first anniversary?

This could only mean some sort of publicity coup.

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/5220
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 12:16:03 AM »

What a great write-up DRNOEL!!!  May your website get many many hits!  And you get many orders.  of course, I already have mine!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 12:24:24 AM »

(in reply to a post from yesterday)

Dear DR Dear Reader Laura:

I'm fully aware that we'll end up with more lads and lassies on our hands than we're planning.  That seems to be part of the scheme of things, when fostering dogs.  Or cats.  Or humans, from what I hear.

Der B is already working on the problem.  He's observed the others in the pet rescue group, and has noted that, while they're very good at getting the pets out of bad situations, they're not very good at finding new, good situations for them.

He figures that a lot of this has to do with public awareness.  People don't know how to contact the rescue group, or worse don't know the group exists.

To this end, he's proposing that we take dogs out with us, sort of on display.  He's looking into getting us sweatshirts with logos on them, and bandannas for the dogs that say "Adopt Me!" on them.  He's also trying to get good photos of all the dogs, that we can print up and keep in a book, so people will know that there are more dogs out there than just the ones we've brought with us.

Once we get going, there's newspapers to contact, and to keep in contact on a regular basis.

The other part of the problem is screening the perspective owners.  Some of the people in the rescue group are, well, shall we call them anal over-protective?  Sure, I understand not wanting to hand a dog over to someone who just wants to keep it chained in a yard, or to someone who will abuse the animal.  But the grilling that der B and I went through from one of the rescue people bordered on the intrusive.  (Fortunately, the woman who came to check out the home environment was very easy to get along with, and we stop by her store regularly to chat about how things are going.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 12:26:21 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 12:25:23 AM »

It's late on this coast.  Time to wuss.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 12:26:02 AM »

Congrats, Noel!
My next wedding definitely has to be an all-singing, all-dancing affair.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 12:44:48 AM »

MRBK did you ever get your copy of THAT DVD of THAT original movie?  I didn't get mine yet.  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 12:54:08 AM »

It was supposedly shipped on Saturday.  We shall see.  If it doesn't arrive by Friday, they get another negative, and I apply for a refund from paypal, which will get them kicked off that service.

Countdown to 70,000 posts - a mere 140 or so to go - could happen this very day, say I.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 02:41:27 AM »

So sad.   I think mine should be here sometime this week as well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 02:42:40 AM »

I just finished watching YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER, and Rita Hayworth and Fred Astaire kissed several times in a few of the dances.

I thought he and Ginger had a thing about not kissing....and they did it only a couple of times in ALL their movies.

What was different about Rita?  Well, besides the obvious.

beckon

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 04:49:55 AM »

DR Jose-  I am glad to hear that you enjoy the "Farmdale" plays also.  I have never seen a live production of one.  Considering all the theatres here in Los Angeles, you would think someone would do them.  But I guess people are only interested in doing "vanity productions" (unless it is quality material like WHAT IF? of course!) :)
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Ben

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 04:51:21 AM »

Hey, folks, for those of you Broadway Radio Show listeners, the show seems to be working again. Both WFO and I were having problems on Monday but things seem to be fixed. Good show with London (National Theatre) casts!

beckon

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 04:52:36 AM »

ASK BK

Wow!  Here it is the day to ask BK a question and I can't think of one.  So I guess my question is-

What do you say when you can't think of a single question?

Oscar Hammerstein II

beckon

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 04:55:57 AM »

DR Ben-

Thank you for the info on the radio show.  Originally, I thought something was wrong with my computer.  I need my weekly fix of Donald Feltham!

Oscar Hammerstein II

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 05:56:32 AM »

Haven't read the notes; haven't caught up on the posts, but had to say that it was a treat to read Peter Filichia's column today.  (Yes, there are things I read BEFORE signing onto HHW!)

DR Noel, all of our partnerships should be celebrated in such glorious fashion.  Congrats on being subject of today's diary!

Ben

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 05:59:25 AM »

As if you needed another reason to listen to Donald's radio show (if you are able, I know some DRs can't hook into it for various technical reasons), you get 4, count em, 4 selections from the National Theatre production of Night Music including Judi Dench doing Send in the Clowns!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 06:00:07 AM »

DRNoel,  wow!  Immortalized by my pal Peter Filichia!  That was wonderful.  What a nice way to cap the day.

I had this awful dream last night about my stolen bicycle and bagpipers and Scottish dancers on an airplane.  There seems to have been a bit of WEST SIDE STORY delinquents as well.  From this summary, I hope you've deduced I slept very badly.  I think it has to do with THE WICKER MAN, but I've been wrong before.

I needs me some Eubie Blake and Victor Herbert (that combo is is weird as my dream) to get my day right.  If I think of a BK question, I'll ask it later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 06:00:41 AM »

ASK BK DAY!  Okay, I will.

Let's say that you could work with Miss Barbara Harris (time machine or real time), what projects would you offer her on stage, screen and recording?
(Would you consider her for a film of BENJAMIN KRITZER?)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 06:07:49 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....my question for ASKBK day (with the exception of ROSEMARY'S BABY talked about last week) - which film for you was a perfect picturization of a book?  ....looked like you imagined it would....or was cast perfectly?

And of course....the opposite.....

William E. Lurie

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 06:16:16 AM »

The difference between Ginger and Rita is that Ginger did her own singing while Rita was dubbed (Usually by Nan Wynn).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 06:38:35 AM »

Before I go, I just reconsidered my dictum; does anyone prefer their septum or peplum?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2004, 07:15:46 AM »

Hope you feel better today JRand54! Good vibes being sent your way!

Belated happy anniversary wishes to Noel and Joy.

I will be back later with a question of the day question...if I can think of one.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2004, 08:00:46 AM »

Good Morning!

Thankfully, I'm not as sore as I thought I would be after yesterday's class/warm-up/workout, but we'll see how I am tomorrow morning after today's class/warm-up/workout.  -The second day always seems to be the clincher/killer.  And I slept rather well too, so I'm guessing that helped.  In any case...

For ASK BK DAY:

Did you ever go through a "video/computer game" phase?

Myself, I still remember playing Atari for hours at a time when I was younger, but I've never had any interest in Nintendo, Playstation, X-Boy or any of the latest batch of computer games (Sega, etc.).  -And the few times I've tried to play those games, I've found my fingers aren't coordinated that way.  ?!?!?  Sometimes I'll play word and strategy games from time to time, but I've never been drawn to adventure nor sport games.

Yourself?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 08:03:38 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 08:08:26 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm....Ginger had some help in the vocal department now and then....unless I am mistaken...and I could be.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2004, 08:10:39 AM »

DR SWW - As for "The Chocolate Bar" and "Frenchy's Chicken"...

-I've already taken the pocket guide out of the magazine.

and

-The addresses have already been Map-Quested.

:D

-Now I just to find when I'll actually have the time to check them out.  We start tech on Saturday with a 10 out of 12, so...  But I'm sure I'll make to at least one of those establishments while I'm here... plus a few others.  And after driving around a little bit more, I've noticed that there seems to be quite a good number of eating establishments of various culinary origins here in Houston.  One of my other culinary missions while I'm here is to find out what is and try a "kolache".  I've noticed a bunch of "kolache" restaurants and stands around town, and since my curiosity has now been peaked/piqued...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2004, 08:22:52 AM »

Does anyone still wear a peplum?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 08:23:08 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2004, 08:27:04 AM »

Ginger's reputation was also one of steely professionalism, but from what I've been told, she was not well loved in the industry and while she made immortal many dances with Astaire, I understand she was a slow, agonizing study and something of a thorn in  Hermes Pan's side.

One never hears a bad word said about Rita, that she was (especially at that period of her career) a dream to work with and full of humility and gratitude to have become an audience favorite.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2004, 08:29:00 AM »

My friend Jeff who moved a couple of weeks ago back to Virginia is back in town today to close on his house, and we're having lunch, so again, no time this afternoon to see any DVD movies. Might be able to squeeze in a ROCKY & BULLWINKLE or HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL, but that's about it.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2004, 08:30:54 AM »

Question for BK: Would winning a Grammy Award for one of your CDs mean anything to you, or does your knowledge of how the business of awards operates negate any sense of accomplishment winning one might give you?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2004, 09:07:42 AM »

Today's helpful hint:

When reconsidering one's dictum, the use of two mirrors facilitates matters greatly.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up