Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO SEPTEMBER  (Read 41460 times)

Ben

Re:A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO SEPTEMBER
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2005, 06:57:18 PM »

Carmine and Sixth, huh? Well, it's in my neighborhood :-) There is also a good bagel place on Carmine, Bagels on the Square. Well made bagels, if you ask me. And then, just about a block away is the Blue Note Jazz Club.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2005, 06:58:25 PM »

Ben do they have egg bagels?

Ben

« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2005, 07:05:14 PM »

Why, look at that! A new avatar. Can't say I don't look like this picture. It was taken in March at the Comfort Diner on 23rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues by our own Danise. Michael Shayne, Larry, Danise and I were having lunch there. We sat in back of Larry Moore's close and personal friend, B.D. Wong (AKA Brad Wong).

Yes, Jane, they do have egg bagels.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2005, 07:06:53 PM »

Why, look at that! A new avatar. Can't say I don't look like this picture. It was taken in March at the Comfort Diner on 23rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues by our own Danise. Michael Shayne, Larry, Danise and I were having lunch there. We sat in back of Larry Moore's close and personal friend, B.D. Wong (AKA Brad Wong).

Yes, Jane, they do have egg bagels.

His name is Brad?? I never knew that.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2005, 07:08:32 PM »

Well, finally....looks like the late shift has arrived!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2005, 07:08:46 PM »

And around the corner:

And what pray tell, is Alice suckling?

der curiouser Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2005, 07:10:06 PM »

It seems it was a gorgeous day in NYC today.  Was it hot?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #277 on: September 01, 2005, 07:11:17 PM »

And what pray tell, is Alice suckling?

der curiouser Brucer

Get your eyes checked, derB!  Or clean those glasses.

Alice's bodice is all perfectly in place.

That's nothing other than Dinah nestling up against her.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »

BE KIND TO THE GALS - CHAPTER TWO

In the hospital the relatives gathered in the waiting room, where their family member lay gravely ill.

Finally, the doctor came in looking tired and somber."I'm afraid I'm the bearer of bad news," he said as he surveyed the worried faces."The only hope left for your loved one at this time is a brain transplant.It's an experimental procedure, very risky but it is the only hope. Insurance will cover the procedure, but you will have to pay for the brain yourselves..

"The family members sat silent as they absorbed the news. After a great length of time, someone asked, "Well, how much does a brain cost?"

The doctor quickly responded, "$5,000 for a male brain, and $200 for a female brain.

"The moment turned awkward. Men in the room tried not to smile, avoiding eye contact with the women, but some actually smirked.

A man unable to control his curiosity, blurted out the question everyone wanted to ask,"Why is the male brain so much more?"

The doctor smiled at the childish innocence and explained to the entire group, "It's just standard pricing procedure.! We have to mark down the price of the female brains, because they've actually been used."

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2005, 07:19:23 PM »

I must settle Bk's hash on a point in his notes. What is this shit that my characters aren't as lovable as Cronenberg's?...They're much more lovable!  In fact, there very similar to his characters.  The Scientist.  The Scientist's girlfriend (In mine version, it was his wife...cause a wife would stick with a guy that would happen to), and his magazine publisher sorts of folds my other two characters into one character as the antagonist.

Have I settled your hash?

You have settled my CORNED BEEF hash, baby.  I didn't mean that your characters weren't lovable, they are lovable IN THEIR OWN SWEET WAY.  But, Cronenberg's are a little quirkier, especially as played by Goldblum and Davis, who are very endearing.  

My POINT was that all the elements of the film, even in Cronenberg's redo of dialogue and characters (which he describes as "his") are in place in your script, which I found interesting.  And you should be happy that Mr. Cronenberg said that you solved the main problem of the story "brilliantly" - which I agree with.  I'd always thought (from things you've said) that there was very little left of yours in the film, but that's not the case.  All the good bits, the ear falling off, the fingernails, the sugar, all of it, are in your script.  

Now, have I settled YOUR hash?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 07:23:47 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2005, 07:25:12 PM »

Demo is finally done and sent to young Caitlynne and her mother.  Whether they like it or think it's right is anybody's guess, but I'm quite happy with it, and will have it sung properly by a teenage girl at some point in the near future.

Jane

« Reply #281 on: September 01, 2005, 07:26:08 PM »

Ben maybe I will have to stop for an egg bagel.  :-\ I fear by the time I have indulged in German pastries and marzipan, whatever food delights Romania has and eaten the goodies on Jose's walking tour, I will not fit into my clothes.

I'm trying to loose a couple of pounds in anticipation of gaining weight on our travels but my metabolism seems to have slowed down-it's not coming off. :(

Jane

« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2005, 07:26:54 PM »

Good night.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2005, 07:27:24 PM »

It seems it was a gorgeous day in NYC today.  Was it hot?

It was indeed a gorgeous day in NYC today.  Very much so! I'd say it got into the low 80s, but since there was always a nice breeze blowing, it always felt cool(er).

To put it another way, it was hot enough for people to be laying out on the rocks around the Lake, and on the Great Lawn, soaking up the sun.  I thought I had taken pictures of "that", but I guess I didn't.  Hmm...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2005, 07:30:23 PM »

Breaking news: when wandering around the west village today, I saw the future site of a new Beard Papa store.  It is on the corner of Carmine and 6th Avenue- unfortunately I didn't get to see when it was opening.

We could have cream puffs twice on the walking tour!  We would of course want to compare the products of the two different locations.

Well... For a true comparison, I suggest trying Beard Papa and The Choux Factory.  I forget exactly where the storefront is for The Choux Factory, but I do know they have a few carts around the city.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #285 on: September 01, 2005, 07:34:31 PM »

FINALLY - SOME GOOD NEWS:

(from The AP):

Good News: 'Fats' Domino, Irma Thomas Found

'Fats' Domino was finally rescued tonight in New Orleans, according to wire reports. And Irma Thomas, the Queen of New Orleans soul, has reported in from Baton Rouge where she escaped to the home of her aunt.

Both music legends were missing as of yesterday. This column broke that story this morning, Sept. 1, at around 6 a.m. Thanks to all the news outlets that picked up the story and made it their own. In the end, the whole point was to get the word out. And it worked.

Thanks also to Jason Hughes in Gov. Blanco’s office in Baton Rouge. His efforts, at our request, expedited what was turning into a terrible situation. Luckily, Jason had gone to school with two of Domino’s grandchildren, and felt a personal attachment to the story.

How is it that a member of the Rock Hall of Fame could have gotten stuck in New Orleans when most luminaries evacuated early? The answer is: easy.

Domino had told his agent, Al Embry, on Monday that he planned to ride out Hurricane Katrina at his home in the 9th Ward. Both Embry and I feared the worst on Tuesday when it was clear that the 9th Ward was filled with water. It didn’t seem possible Domino could have survived. But it’s a happy ending for the 76-year-old rock legend.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #286 on: September 01, 2005, 07:38:22 PM »

Wow, great photos Jose.  How many times have I been in Central Park and still not seen some of those sights.

I love the ducks and the Alice in Wonderland statue. Danise will have a great time at the Central Park Zoo. She can also see the great clock that has animals marching around every half hour. It's on the way to the refurbished Children's Zoo, which also has lots of fund statuary.

Jose thanks for the tour of Central Park.  I must walk for real it in October.

Thank you.

One of the reasons I decided to take the walk through Central Park today - besides just having the time to do so - was that I've never really walked through the Park myself.  I've usually stuck to the southeast and southwest corners, and the ice skating rink.  Since today was such a gorgeous day...

There are still a lot of sights I want to check out in Central Park.  I've never been to Bethesda Fountain, and one of these days I want to walk/jog/run around the Reservoir.

It always amazes me just how big Central Park is.  And it's big!  I didn't even cover half of the Park today on my walk.

http://www.centralparknyc.org
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #287 on: September 01, 2005, 07:39:29 PM »

To put it another way, it was hot enough for people to be laying out on the rocks around the Lake, and on the Great Lawn, soaking up the sun.  I thought I had taken pictures of "that", but I guess I didn't.  Hmm...

:-\

Let's hope when Jane tours Munich she takes pix at their park - where clothing is very optional. (Nudists playing volleyball is quite a visual experience)

der Brucer

François de Paris

« Reply #288 on: September 01, 2005, 07:40:02 PM »

FINALLY - SOME GOOD NEWS:

(from The AP):der Brucer

I hope they'll also mention the numerous unknown that are and will be rescued too!
Ah, le prestige de la célébrité!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 07:42:28 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #289 on: September 01, 2005, 07:44:19 PM »

Well... For a true comparison, I suggest trying Beard Papa and The Choux Factory.  I forget exactly where the storefront is for The Choux Factory, but I do know they have a few carts around the city.

Beard Papa? Choux Factory? For one moment one would think it's Paris (France, bien sûr) ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #290 on: September 01, 2005, 07:45:17 PM »

WOW!  I just checked out http://www.centralparknyc.org... The photo galleries are filled with beautiful pics.  By season too!
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #291 on: September 01, 2005, 07:45:23 PM »

Barbe à Papa and Usine à Sprouts would have to be in Washington, DC, I guess!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2005, 07:46:59 PM »

I have become increasingly depressed watching hurricane coverage.  I don't want to get too political, but it is hard for me not to notice that there is a particular population that is being severely affected by the disaster.

It just makes me sad that there were many who didn't have the resources to evacuate, whether it be because they didn't have transportation or they had no insurance and were not it a position to leave their homes and belongings behind.

Sorry for the depressing topic, I guess it's time to turn off the news...

I have to say I feel the media, by way of information they were given, seriously underestimated the numbers of people who were left in the city when Katrina hit.

They were evacuating as early as last Friday...and by most accounts I heard, only a few thousands stayed behind for "whatever" reason.

Now, of course, it's clear tens of thousands not only stayed behind but possessed no means of escaping.  Whether it was a lack of vehicle, or lack of money (and with that, nowhere to go), they stayed behind hoping that what little they had would be spared and that they could continue their lives.

Many of them probably work for hourly wages...dependent upon tourist trade and hotels and restaurants...and have large families.  

I fear many large cities would find huge chunks of their populations would be left behind in event of evacuations because those people simply don't know where they would go and possess no resources to survive anywhere but where they know best.

I'm appalled, disgusted, disheartened and brokenhearted by all of it.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 07:47:24 PM by Ron Pulliam »

François de Paris

« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2005, 07:50:22 PM »

WOW!  I just checked out http://www.centralparknyc.org... The photo galleries are filled with beautiful pics.  By season too!

Gorgeous pics indeed; yours and the site!
Merci!

I kept looking for Richard G. and Winona R. but... no! :D

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2005, 07:52:07 PM »

Assuming you only wish to lose a pound or two, those rice cakes may do the trick.

Maybe if I eat ONLY the rice cakes between now and the meet....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2005, 07:53:22 PM »

Went to an Italian restaurant for lunch today...Il Porcellino in Montclair Village.

Scrumptious, authentic Italian food.  I had Spaghetti Choccata...spaghetti in a sauce of tomatoes, basil, garlic, red pepper, mozzarella and parmesan.

Truly Scrumptious!

You are just no help at all are you?! >:(

;D ;D ;D ;D

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2005, 07:55:56 PM »

I have to say I feel the media, by way of information they were given, seriously underestimated the numbers of people who were left in the city when Katrina hit.

They were evacuating as early as last Friday...and by most accounts I heard, only a few thousands stayed behind for "whatever" reason.

Now, of course, it's clear tens of thousands not only stayed behind but possessed no means of escaping.  Whether it was a lack of vehicle, or lack of money (and with that, nowhere to go), they stayed behind hoping that what little they had would be spared and that they could continue their lives.

Many of them probably work for hourly wages...dependent upon tourist trade and hotels and restaurants...and have large families.  

I fear many large cities would find huge chunks of their populations would be left behind in event of evacuations because those people simply don't know where they would go and possess no resources to survive anywhere but where they know best.

I'm appalled, disgusted, disheartened and brokenhearted by all of it.

I think that one of the reasons that this hits close to home for me is because I wonder what would happen to my clients at GMHC in the event that we had to evacuate NYC... or what Rodzinski and I would do for that matter.  We depend entirely on public transportation to get around.

The only positive is that I am committed to becoming better prepared for  any kind of disaster.  About a year ago there was this great subway ad campaign.  It said something to the effect of: Bottles of wine the average New Yorker keeps on hand for surprise guests: 4, bottles of water the average New Yorker keeps on hand for an emergency: 0.  Sadly, totally fall into this category.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 07:56:50 PM by TPunk »

vixmom

« Reply #297 on: September 01, 2005, 07:57:09 PM »

Our news services here are keeping us up-to-date with the horrors in the South.  I hope there are some stories about the goodness of human nature. The press concentrates on the bad.

I have read some news stories about people offering their homes as havens for the refugees, people in Georgeia, New Mexico, Arizona etc offering anywher froma  bed to three  bedrooms to whomever needs it for as long as they need it....

I'll see if I can find the story again  and post it here

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2005, 08:01:40 PM »

I would love to have been at a Carol Burnett taping, but when we were in LA, all we could get tickets for was ART LINKLETTER'S HOUSE PARTY. Guess that lets you know how long ago THAT trip was!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2005, 08:05:22 PM »

My goodness. Take a few hours off for housework and TV/movie watching, and there are frenzies all OVER the place!

Won't bk be pleased!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 08:12:50 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up