Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: SHORT SHRIFT  (Read 40170 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re:SHORT SHRIFT
« Reply #390 on: September 27, 2007, 05:52:27 PM »

Lovely to see DRs KAREN and JEANNE....what a fun pair of gals they look like!  ;D

Oh, we ARE!!

Ginny

« Reply #391 on: September 27, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »

DR Jeanne - thank you for letting us know you're home safe & sound.  It was so nice to see your photos and hear about your trip to NYC.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

François

« Reply #392 on: September 27, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »

LOL...thanks DR FRANCOIS....I had just been reading that review....if I had waited a bit....I could have found it here on HHW!!!

I guess there is a DVD/CD release of the concert planned.

I think there will be a dvd of the London (England!!) version of the show, but NOT of the Paris one because his voice a mess and his sister did most of the singing!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #393 on: September 27, 2007, 05:59:06 PM »

DR Jeanne - thank you for letting us know you're home safe & sound.  It was so nice to see your photos and hear about your trip to NYC.

Thank you, GINNY. I'm sorry we didn't have a chance to meet as well, but I'm sure we will sometime. And, lucky you, with Sunday's Brain to look forward to.

François

« Reply #394 on: September 27, 2007, 05:59:26 PM »

Dialogue: Denys Arcand
By Gregg Kilday

May 25, 2007
A Cannes veteran who has captured the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie in his fest favorites such as "The Decline of the American Empire" and "The Barbarian Invasions," Denys Arcand is presenting his third film in what he considers a trilogy as this year's closing-night film. This time, though, as he focuses on a weary civil servant who retreats into fantasy, Arcand is courting out-and-out laughs rather than just rueful smiles of recognition. Before making the trip to Cannes, Arcand spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about modern life, renaissance fairs and trusting his own sense of humor.

The Hollywood Reporter: How long have you had the idea for "Days of Darkness"?

Denys Arcand: It sort of percolated for about a year. During my last film, "Barbarian," I spent an inordinate amount of time in airplanes and limousines promoting the film, and I was hating it. I started to think, "Is there someone who would like to be in my shoes right now? Is there someone who would like to be interviewed this morning, going to this stupid TV show?" And I started imagining this character, who is someone that no one listens to, not his wife, not his daughters. He is a civil servant, an obscure bureaucrat, and he'd love to be interviewed, love to be alongside movie stars. So slowly this image came of this guy. Once all of that was over, I sat down and wrote the story.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #395 on: September 27, 2007, 06:00:22 PM »

There's another pic which I don't believe is up yet, taken this morning by Miss K. It's really cute. What a treat when someone is able to post it for you all.

François

« Reply #396 on: September 27, 2007, 06:01:19 PM »

THR: And you consider this film the final piece in a trilogy that includes "Decline" and "Barbarian Invasions?"

Arcand: Yes, something like that -- sort of a reflection on morals and life in our times. It's my last attempt at such a description. You see a brief appearance of one the characters in "Decline" and in "Barbarian Invasions." There is only one character who is carried over into this film this time.

THR: It's also described as much more farcical.

Arcand: It is, but at the same time, it's darker. I would say it's a more extreme film. It's funnier and darker than the two previous ones.

THR: Working in comedy, did you make any adjustments on the set?

Arcand: I didn't make any adjustments. It just came to me that way. How and when, I don't know. I got carried away. At some point, this guy gets involved with a woman who takes part in these renaissance fairs. You've seen them in the U.S. They are fairly popular. He gets caught in this, and getting caught in it, it becomes extremely farcical. There are pratfalls and stuff like that -- slapstick-type stuff, which is something I always loved in other films but was never able to do myself. So I tried it and I hope it works.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #397 on: September 27, 2007, 06:01:42 PM »

Much catching up to do on the posts. I'm taking tomorrow off, I think, so I hope to ketchup then.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #398 on: September 27, 2007, 06:01:53 PM »

OK.. Time to change into my pit blacks.

Laters...

We're back to AGYG this eve.  Not really motivated to go.  But to comment on pit black, I am wearing that this eve, which is a switch from last week when we were encouraged to dress up as the "Cowboy Band".  I did that for a few performances until the reed player behind complained about my hat.  So now, I'm not going to bother.  Maybe I'll wear a red kercheif around my neck.  I didn't even wear the cowboy boots today.  

I am excited to be able to hear different things in the pit tonight.  Now that the ear is cleaned out and free of foreign objects (Thanks to all of you for the kind words and vibes) I'm able to hear things clearer now.  So, that will be exciting!

François

« Reply #399 on: September 27, 2007, 06:02:34 PM »

THR: What was it about renaissance fairs that interests you?

Arcand: The film presents life in our modern city in this day and age as more and more difficult to live. People have problems that are almost insurmountable -- pollution, problems with modern democracy, problems with marriage. My hero is almost submerged by all of this. Some people take refuge, they need to escape somehow. This is a very cinematographic form of escape. You escape to the Middle Ages, not knowing what the Middle Ages were in reality, because I don't think anyone would really want to be in the Middle Ages unless they were the king. Otherwise, it was very rough, very difficult. But so many people are looking for escape that they will try to live a sort of imaginary Middle Age, which is half real Middle Age, half Tolkien, half fantasy.

THR: The film sounds a bit like "The Secret Life of Water Mitty." Did you film actual fantasy sequences?

Arcand: Yes, there are a couple of scenes that are close to that.

THR: Because this is a comedy, did you test it before an audience?

Arcand: No, I didn't. I barely finished this film. We were terribly rushed to get something out for Cannes. I didn't have the time to test it. Also, to me testing is something that you do if you start from a really commercial point of view in a sense that you want to do something to bring in lot of customers and you want to please your customers. I've always done my films starting from a different point of view. I did some tests once for only one film, "Stardom," which was probably the least successful of all my films. I did modify the film myself, the editing, according to a screen test I did in New York City, and I hated myself for it and I still hate it to this day. I liked it, and to hell with the audience. I'm making a statement, trying to be as true as possible to my vision of the world, and I'm not going to be influenced by one audience on one night. Not only that, but audiences change over the years. Some of my earlier films that were not totally understood 10-15 years ago are now understood and appreciated, so how can you account for that? My films cost next to nothing, so as long as the film makes decent money, it pays for itself. I'm not in this to make money, otherwise I'd have another job, especially being a French Canadian.

THR: The movie stars Canadian Marc Lebreche and German star Diane Kruger. How did you go about putting together the cast?

Arcand: We needed a movie star, because the hero imagines himself having an affair with a movie star. Usually my films are devoid of movie stars, so we hired Diane because my producers in Paris knew her and liked her and she agreed to do it. The others are basically unknowns, but fairly good actors, theater actors that I picked in Montreal.

François

« Reply #400 on: September 27, 2007, 06:03:10 PM »

THR: You also included pop star Rufus Wainwright.

Arcand: My hero dreams also of being a singer, and when he dreams and sings, he becomes Rufus Wainwright. Rufus opens and closes the film. He basically sings two obscure 18th century opera arias. I always loved his voice. I didn't know him really, but I knew his mother so I had a connection with him and offered him the part and he accepted. He's such a great singer that it really adds something to the film.

THR: You've made many visits to Cannes. Can you encapsulate the experience?

Arcand: Well, it changes through the years. The first few times, I was very young and it was really a party. I spent two weeks in Cannes, having fun, like a gigantic spring break. Then it became more of business, because as the films get bigger and you get a bigger audience, you do promotion and it's not as much fun personally. But frankly, Cannes has always been very, very good to my films. I don't have any horror stories of being whistled down. People have been nice and I've been well received over the years.

THR: Do you expect the experience of bringing the closing night film will be different?

Arcand: I guess they felt a comedy was the right kind of article to program on the last night. There is not the stress of winning or losing. No one is judging you. It's a comfortable spot.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #401 on: September 27, 2007, 06:08:46 PM »

Off to nibble on more Levain. But it's difficult to only nibble. They are soooo good. Thank you again, Jose!

(And Miss Karen gets credit for letting me take my share.)

Samantha

« Reply #402 on: September 27, 2007, 06:11:47 PM »

Hello!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #403 on: September 27, 2007, 06:12:01 PM »

I see that we have a new Dear Reader. Welcome, DR (Dear Reader) Samantha!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #404 on: September 27, 2007, 06:12:26 PM »

Hello!

Tomovoz

« Reply #405 on: September 27, 2007, 06:12:40 PM »

Welcome to HHW Sam.  I hope your NYC experience is truly wonderful.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Samantha

« Reply #406 on: September 27, 2007, 06:12:55 PM »

Thanks!

td

• td
« Reply #407 on: September 27, 2007, 06:13:10 PM »

LOL...thanks DR FRANCOIS....I had just been reading that review....if I had waited a bit....I could have found it here on HHW!!!

I guess there is a DVD/CD release of the concert planned.

Oy, gevalt!  Have I got a cd for you!  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Samantha

« Reply #408 on: September 27, 2007, 06:14:54 PM »

Welcome to HHW Sam.  I hope your NYC experience is truly wonderful.

Thank you I hope Cil and I have a wonderful time!! I'm sure we will.

td

• td
« Reply #409 on: September 27, 2007, 06:15:50 PM »

WELCOME TO HHW, DR SAMANTHA!

Samantha

« Reply #410 on: September 27, 2007, 06:16:47 PM »

Thank you dr td

td

• td
« Reply #411 on: September 27, 2007, 06:18:58 PM »

Something's Coming. . .for DRs vixmom and singdaw.
Just thought I'd say. . . .

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #412 on: September 27, 2007, 06:19:16 PM »

Oh, yes. And did I mention that NYC was hot? As in hot and humid.

Cillaliz

« Reply #413 on: September 27, 2007, 06:20:27 PM »

DR Jeanne, the cold front is supposed to move through tonight, it should be cooler tomorrow

Cillaliz

« Reply #414 on: September 27, 2007, 06:21:42 PM »

Sam and I can't be on at the same time, but we are in Omaha. We had a great dinner and have the biggest motel room I've ever seen in a Sleep Inn. We each have our own TVs!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #415 on: September 27, 2007, 06:25:14 PM »

Did you bring a camera?

td

• td
« Reply #416 on: September 27, 2007, 06:25:44 PM »

Gonna run downstairs to the entertainment center and see what Sunil Shetty is up to in BLACKMAIL or DARNA ZAROORI HAI. . .

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #417 on: September 27, 2007, 06:25:51 PM »

Today (Thursday, September 27) is my sister's birthday!  Happy Birthday to my sister, Diane...aka Dee Dee! :)

And DS Craig's birthday as well.

It is also Keith's brother's birthday, oops, we forgot to wish him a happy birthday. ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 06:26:33 PM by Jane »

Cillaliz

« Reply #418 on: September 27, 2007, 06:27:07 PM »

We're watching Grey's Anatomy She's watching in her part of the room and I'm watching in my part of the room, lol. I let her have the HDTV

Cillaliz

« Reply #419 on: September 27, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »

Did you bring a camera?

We both have cameras.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18   Go Up