Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WRITE WHAT YOU KNOW  (Read 15325 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: WRITE WHAT YOU KNOW
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2009, 02:47:01 PM »

I had a good afternoon of viewing. I began with last night's GLEE sneak preview. While some of the plot between numbers was pretty predictable, the songs and numbers were just wonderful. I can't imagine anyone who enjoys musical theater and inate singing ability not falling for this show. I hope it's a big hit.

The other thing about this show that I was thinking was that all of these kids are GREAT singers!  Why are they in a "glee club" (other than as the reason for the show) and not the theater department??  They would KILL in their high school musicals.

With education budgets being slashed left and right, is it possible the school's theater department is defunct?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »

American Idol?  Is that tired old show still on?

Yep, and still the top rated show on network TV.

Yes, and at one time, the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES was the top rated show on network TV.  Does that mean it was great television, too?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2009, 03:24:28 PM »

Just think, if you knew it all, you could write the encyclopedia!

I did, under my previous name of World Book.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »

Yes, and at one time, the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES was the top rated show on network TV.  Does that mean it was great television, too?

I think so.

Of course, we can substitute "Three's Company" and I take your point.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Amy

« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2009, 03:33:26 PM »

I enjoyed Fargo when I saw it, but I never revisit it BECAUSE of the extreme violence, which I found completely unnecessary and overdone. 

But "Fargo" is based on a true story, so the Coen brothers HAD to put all that violence in there! It all really really truly happened just that way. I'm sure it did! I mean why would they make all that stuff up?? So naturally, they had to include all the violence or they would have lost all their screenplay-writing integrity, ya know?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2009, 03:34:31 PM »

I think none of us puts forth AI as "great television" anymore than an NBA game, a PGA Golf event, or Iron Chef America are "great television" - they are all televised contests of one sort or other and for some of us, a welcome respite from the intensity of "great television".

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »

I ordered the Ron Raines MAN OF LA MANCHA CD....featuring Kim Criswell.  The reviews were mixed, but it is the COMPLETE show.  I kept trying to win an auction for it on EBAY....but was never successful, so I just bought it NEW!!! 

It's not bad, but Ron and Kim had just done the roles for the first time before the recording was made, and they needed a better director than the guy who directed it in London. I told him Cervantes needs more charm and humor when he's cajoling the prisoners to perform in his charade, that he needed to be Larry Kert and flirt with them all.

Anything is preferable to the back phrasing of the overrated Stokes Mitchell, who can be wonderful when he's given the right role. He is, however, not in the singing class of Richard Kiley, John Reardon, or Alfred Drake and people keep giving him their roles. And he takes them, which is sadder!

I had forgotten my talented friend David Charles Abell is the conductor. You and he have comething else in common besides LAMANCHA, DR JRand58!

Good looks?
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2009, 03:40:11 PM »

I enjoyed Fargo when I saw it, but I never revisit it BECAUSE of the extreme violence, which I found completely unnecessary and overdone. 

But "Fargo" is based on a true story, so the Coen brothers HAD to put all that violence in there! It all really really truly happened just that way. I'm sure it did! I mean why would they make all that stuff up?? So naturally, they had to include all the violence or they would have lost all their screenplay-writing integrity, ya know?

Weally twuly twue?     :D

I don't know what it means, but the violence in "Fargo" seemed integral to the story.  It's the gratuitous stuff in horror movies that puts me off my feed.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:42:57 PM by Ron Pulliam »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »

I had a good afternoon of viewing. I began with last night's GLEE sneak preview. While some of the plot between numbers was pretty predictable, the songs and numbers were just wonderful. I can't imagine anyone who enjoys musical theater and inate singing ability not falling for this show. I hope it's a big hit.

The other thing about this show that I was thinking was that all of these kids are GREAT singers!  Why are they in a "glee club" (other than as the reason for the show) and not the theater department??  They would KILL in their high school musicals.

With education budgets being slashed left and right, is it possible the school's theater department is defunct?

Heck, even with full budgets, many schools are cancelling arts programs because they interfer with drilling for the Federally mandated assessment tests.

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2009, 03:43:05 PM »

I have just cast the role of Harry in Nudie Musical - it's Ted Detweiler, a very nice chap who appears on the TV series Sordid Lives (I think that's what it's called) - he did the Bacharach benefit, and I'm directing a club act for him, and he gave a very good reading a couple of weeks ago.  I think he'll do a very good job.  Now I must cast the Cindy role asap.  I have had two recommendations - we've talked to one of them, a Penny Pingleton from Hairspray - she's going to audition for me on the computer somehow, via Skype or iChat or something like that.  Then elmore recommended someone - and we'll be contacting her.  So, we're down to just needing a Dick Davis and Rosie right now. 

T.O.D.

On April 19 you said in your notes that you had a nice visit with Ted Detweiler and you would be working with him soon.  Were you referring to NUDIE MUSICAL then, or his club act?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »

No Tom Jones here today.

It's not unusual.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »

I hope the plot elements involving the adults doesn't drag down the more uplifting teen elements.

I am disappointed that the casting people couldn't find a real performer in a wheelchair - in today's world using a regular performer to "act" handicapped just seems wrong, and unnecessary..

der Brucer

During the show last night, I went to IMDb and looked up the actors and saw that the guy in the wheelchair wasn't really handicapped.  I thought, why NOT get a young actor who really is in a wheelchair. :-\

While it might be nice to have a talented actor who's wheelchair-bound play the role, I never think about such things. It's called "acting" for a reason.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:35:55 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »

The gentlemen on the LEFT is going to be Harry (Correction)

Ted Detwiler
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:52:38 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2009, 04:07:11 PM »

A little bit about Ted

Ted was born in Indiana and raised in South Carolina.  He grew up on a surfboard and turned pro and 16.  Shortly after, he injured his ankle and during recover time, he found theatre.  Two years later he found himself at Tisch School of the Arts at NYU where ballet and tap replaced Bali and Australia.  After graduating with the NYU Outstanding Actor Award, he moved to L.A.  Through a mutual friend he ended up on the set of Ned & Stacey where he met Del Shores (who was a producer on the series), and a friendship started.  Soon after, he appeared in a national Levi’s “Nice Pants” ad campaign.  He has starred in numerous musicals and plays.  TV credits include Crossing Jordan, Sliders and Hyperion Bay.  His film credits include: Must Love Dogs, The Ring 2, After Sunset, Chasers and Blood Money.  Ted played “T.J.” in the last L.A. production of Sissies, is thrilled to be back.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »

I couldn't get online so I had a lot to catchup on.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2009, 04:11:39 PM »

Not only is it Eliza Dolittle day, but  it is also my parents' 52nd Wedding Anniversary and my mother went on a 2 week plus trip to Spain and all the museums
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »

Just had a great chat with Dave Frishberg and hopefully will be able to book him for next season's Rave in the Nave.  I actually have to call his NYC agent tomorrow to OK everything through him, which is kind of funny.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2009, 04:13:11 PM »

ASK BK

Can you confirm that the reading will indeed be June 15 & 16?

If so I will try to book a cheap ticket to come over to see it.
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2009, 04:14:23 PM »

Yes!!!!!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2009, 04:16:08 PM »

I think that great television is whatever entertains me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »

Imagine what will go thru Elmore's mind when he reads this!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:22:20 PM by DERBRUCER »

DAW

« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2009, 04:20:45 PM »

The gentlemen on the right

Are you sure??

DAW

« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »

On a brighter note - our brand new replacement highschool has a full-up theatre - orchestra pit, isolated sound and lighting booths, etc.

And you no doubt protested the tax increase to pay for it every step of the way!      ;)

DAW

« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2009, 04:23:19 PM »

Just kidding, DR dB.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2009, 04:30:52 PM »

The gentlemen on the right is going to be Harry

Ted Detwiler

I believe that's Ted on the left. He's a very nice gentlemen, and his parents are wonderful.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2009, 04:32:26 PM »

Imagine what will go thru Elmore's mind when he reads this!

der Brucer

;) ;) ;) ;)

Somersaults and an urge to write paragraphs!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »

Note to DAW re census questionaire:

They send me one of those (aimed at engineers) in 1980.

I ignored the first one.
I sent the follow-up back with black magic-makers slashes across the page.
I took the next follow-up and ripped it into shreds and sent it back.

For the actual census I answered the basic "how many members of your house hold and their age" questions and refused to fill out the rest. I was engaging hostile to the canvaser who tried to do a follow-up (start by refusing to acknowlede the validity of her ID) and she shortly left.

End of census.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »

Ted and BK himself!

BK, did you hear from Marnie?

Amy

« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »

I don't know what it means, but the violence in "Fargo" seemed integral to the story. 

I agree! I wasn't bothered by the violence in Fargo. However, I thought the violence in The Matrix was terribly gratuitous. But I seem to be the only one who thinks so since everyone else on the planet loved that movie so much.

Amy

« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2009, 04:39:36 PM »

Are you sure??

I believe he's sure. It seems to me that the person on the right matches this picture.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up