Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GET THEE TO A NUNNERY  (Read 15858 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: GET THEE TO A NUNNERY
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »

Have any of you had both COMCAST and DIRECTV at various times?  I have a choice of providers at the new house.  It's already evidently pre-wired for COMCAST, but doing DIRECTV wouldn't be hard.  We have DIRECTV currently.  I'd love to hear reviews of COMCAST especially, but if you've had both, which you prefer and why.  Thanks.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2010, 03:00:49 PM »

I've heard a lot of people complain about Comcast. It's not in our area here, but many internet friends don't seem to be happy.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2010, 03:01:11 PM »

So, I'm really not any help.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2010, 03:29:38 PM »

I don't understand why his performance is used to instruct judges.  Was it that he was judged too high?  I wonder what other well known skate performances are also used.

DR MattH would probably be able to answer this better.  But I don't think it was because he was judged too high.  This was the 1988 Calgary olympics. And basically Canada's hopes of winning a gold medal (it would have been the first ever at an olympics in canada) rested on brian orser.

There was a huge battle of the brians between US Brian Boitano and Canadian Orser.

I think that Brian Orser did skate amazingly and he thought he skated well enough to win. But he didn't (the judging was different then). Remember each country would rate each skater and it used to be out of 6.0. I remember it was very close.

Now there is a whole new system for ranking. I'd be curious if under this new system if brian orser would have won. Since they judge a lot on how many jumps you do and of what variety with each one having a predetermined value).

I would have to watch side by side again to confirm the fact I still believe Brian Boitano would have, should have won.  I was in complete rapture during his skate.

Jane

« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »

Quote from: JoseSPiano on February 21, 2010, 07:59:06 PM
From the New York Times' "Inside The Rings" series...

Glint of Gold Never Left Orser’s Eyes

Thank you.  I found it very interesting & had no idea Brian Orser was a coach.  It was hard reading his disappointment in not winning the Gold.  I would not be surprised if many of the competitors have similar difficulties dealing with the loss.

I don't understand why his performance is used to instruct judges.  Was it that he was judged too high?  I wonder what other well known skate performances are also used.

Orser won the free skate at Sarajevo in 1984, but lost the gold to Scott Hamilton who won the short program.  Hamilton must have outscored Orser in figures as well, but I believe a French skater actually won the figures portion.

Orser was tied with Boitano after the free skate in 1988.  The tie-breaker was the artistic marks, and Boitano had the edge there...so the gold went to Boitano.

Orser was an ideal skater.  That is why a video of him skating might be among several used to instruct judges.

Then it doesn't have anything to do with is losing to Boitano, or that someone felt it was judged incorrectly.  That I can understand.

I don't remember the 84 men's competition all the well, except maybe I was surprised Hamilton won.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2010, 03:43:37 PM »

JR, I forgot to tell you yesterday, and I'm sure you'll want to get your own souvenir copy.  Yesterday's Sunday Oregonian featured a lovely, full color photo of Ms. Libby Appel, accompanying an article extolling her virtues during her tenure at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.

;D

Jane

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2010, 03:49:26 PM »

I also gives me an ache in my heart that Doris has turned down the honor of an honorary Academy Award. I don't know if she still holds a grudge for not ever winning in competition (only got nominated once) or if she just doesn't want to appear in public any longer, but she really deserves this recognition as one of the real Hollywood greats and an underrated performer her entire career.

I agree she deserves the award.  I suspect she didn't want to collect it in person & since the loss of her son prefers to live a simple life with her pets.

Jane

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2010, 03:54:45 PM »

Wow....DR DtM - I can't think of any old TV family with two boys and one girl in the mix.....

2 girls and 1 boy - Father Knows Best
2 boys - Leave It to Beaver
2 girls and 1 boy - Make Room for Daddy
2 girls and 1 boy - Family Affair
3 boys - My Three Sons
3 girls - To Rome With Love
4 boys - Please Don't Eat the Daisies
2 Girls 2 Boys - The Partridge Family

I know I am leaving out LOTS of shows.....but I can't think of any shows with the 2 boys, 1 girl equation.

I can think of one, though the girl wasn't a teen-ager:  NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR.  And it was 2 boys, 1 girl on

I completely forgot about the boys.  I only remember the DARLING Kim Richards.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »

I was a good friend of Nunnally Johnson's granddaughter.  Her parents were Gene and Marjorie Fowler.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2010, 04:04:17 PM »

I had a real treat today.  Keith dropped me off in town for a walk in the park before meeting a friend for lunch.  I haven't eaten out since before my accident.  We went to a Japanese restaurant & I forgot about chopsticks.  Watching me struggle the waiter showed up with a fork.  I'm pleased to say I used the chopsticks with my right hand.  I'm sure I couldn't have done it left handed.  I was able to get the food up to my mouth without spilling it.  I'm progressing. :)

I had a glass of wine which was very interesting, in a good way, during PT after lunch.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »

Get thee to a Nunnally.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »

I had DIRECT TV for a few years - many interruption problems. 

Now that Comcast has all of their cables and optics installed in my area, I can't say I can complain about much.  The bill is weird and you have to make sure you aren't being charged for something you didn't get.....and they don't upgrade your boxes or modems until there is a breakdown....OR you asked them to....even if there is an upgrade.....but Comcast is fine with me....their HD TV is great....although there are a few channels I would like to get.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »

DR JOSE is spending the afternoon with Jon Stewart, I guess.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »

Have any of you had both COMCAST and DIRECTV at various times?  I have a choice of providers at the new house.  It's already evidently pre-wired for COMCAST, but doing DIRECTV wouldn't be hard.  We have DIRECTV currently.  I'd love to hear reviews of COMCAST especially, but if you've had both, which you prefer and why.  Thanks.

I've never had DirectTV, but a couple of friends who've had it have had some problems, but some other people have not had any trouble.  No help there.

I have only had Comcast and other than the price (what else is new?), I'm really satisfied with the service.  Their 24-hour customer service has always been quite helpful. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2010, 04:12:24 PM »

Great news for Kindle owners - the Kritzer books and the Hofstetter books will all be available on Kindle in six weeks, and so will the new book when that comes out.  VERY happy. 

Congratulations, BK!  I don't have a Kindle, but Congrats!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »

I had a real treat today.  Keith dropped me off in town for a walk in the park before meeting a friend for lunch.  I haven't eaten out since before my accident.  We went to a Japanese restaurant & I forgot about chopsticks.  Watching me struggle the waiter showed up with a fork.  I'm pleased to say I used the chopsticks with my right hand.  I'm sure I couldn't have done it left handed.  I was able to get the food up to my mouth without spilling it.  I'm progressing. :)

I had a glass of wine which was very interesting, in a good way, during PT after lunch.

Congrats on the improvements, Jane!!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »

I feel like the day is going in reverse. This should be morning and I should be making oatmeal about right now. Anyway, great news on the "Married to It" CD. Thought that movie was a charmer when it came out, which was not a time for too many charmers at the movie theater.

TOD:
Movies -- The Pajama Game, The Man Who Knew Too Much

Recordings: The Vincent Youmans songs in "Lullaby of Broadway" (but not the movie itself), "Shaking the Blues Away," "Secret Love" and "It's Magic."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2010, 04:17:50 PM »

Wow....DR DtM - I can't think of any old TV family with two boys and one girl in the mix.....

3 boys - My Three Sons

I know I am leaving out LOTS of shows.....but I can't think of any shows with the 2 boys, 1 girl equation.

I can think of one, though the girl wasn't a teen-ager:  NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR.  And it was 2 boys, 1 girl on EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND, though both parents were living.

And THE PARTIDGE FAMILY was 2 girls, 3 boys, but then everyone always forgot about what's-his-name...

David Cassidy?  ;)
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »

I have only had Comcast, and it has worked just fine for me, and their customer service has always been helpful, as well.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2010, 04:20:01 PM »

Thanks DR DtM - some of those shows I didn't watch.

Another 2 boys, 1 girl, single parent show neither one of us probably watched: DIFFERENT STROKES.

I thought that was a father and three drug addicts?
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2010, 04:21:30 PM »

Back from a nice lunch.  I got two overseas boxes back because darling Cason forgot to sign and date the customs forms - hope that's all that's coming back.  Those will go back out tonight.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2010, 04:24:52 PM »

Thanks George.  In my more relaxed state he got through my stretches faster & more easily than my last few visits.  I don't think he went farther.:(   Last visit I had one stretch that would not happen & he decided to give up.  I insisted he try again & we succeeded.  He laughed & said I'm the rare person who insists on more.  Most people want him to stop.  I naturally was very pleased with myself.

MBarnum

« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2010, 04:49:08 PM »

DR Druxy, I did some sleuthing but could find nothing on Taylor Leigh. Is that her real name? Does she have a married name?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »

Great news for Kindle owners - the Kritzer books and the Hofstetter books will all be available on Kindle in six weeks, and so will the new book when that comes out.  VERY happy. 

Great news for me!
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2010, 05:42:51 PM »

"Cross of Iron/Good Luck, Miss Wyckoff" has just arrived!

John G.

« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2010, 05:47:29 PM »

3 boys - My Three Sons

I can think of one, though the girl wasn't a teen-ager:  NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR.  And it was 2 boys, 1 girl on EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND, though both parents were living.

And THE PARTIDGE FAMILY was 2 girls, 3 boys, but then everyone always forgot about what's-his-name...

David Cassidy?  ;)

Actually My Three Sons added a daughter to the lineup late in the show. Can't think of any though with two boys and one girl.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »

3 boys - My Three Sons

David Cassidy?  ;)

Actually My Three Sons added a daughter to the lineup late in the show. Can't think of any though with two boys and one girl.

Thanks for reminding me, said with a groan.  ;D

Laura

« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »

I don't know if Happy Days counts. The oldest brother disappears.

John G.

« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »

A glass of wine is always a good thing. So is a lunch with a friend or friends. Both help the healing process.
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »

I'm glad you had a good session, Jane.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up